Bow Abilities and Skill Trees for New World
Welcome to our Abilities and Skill Trees page for Bow. Here, we give you an overview of every ability that Bow has. For each of them, we explain what it does, how to best use it, how it works in combination with the weapon's other abilities, and whether or not it is worth picking. Then, we go through all the nodes in each skill tree, discussing their viability in the current meta.
While this page focuses on assessing the viability of abilities and skill tree nodes, it also gives a bit of advice on how to use them. The gameplay section of our Bow guide has additional information regarding the usage of abilities and each of our Bow PvP Builds and Bow PvE Builds has a detailed gameplay section that explains how to play the build.
- Poison Shot — 30s CD: Shoot an arrow that deals 50% weapon damage. On hit or land, this arrow creates 3m radius poison cloud that lasts 6s. Foes entering the cloud are poisoned and take 10% weapon damage per second for 20s.
- Infected Arrows — Poison Shot's poison now does 12% weapon damage per second for 20s.
- Direct Hit — Direct hits against targets are more powerful and now deal 100% weapon damage.
Summary: This ability is not commonly used. It has some benefit by applying a long damage over time effect. The problem is its lack of burst damage. This is normally seen as a damage padding ability.
Crafting Material: Steel Bow Charm - Enfeebling Poison Shot: Poison Shot's arrow also applies Weaken, reducing target's damage by 14% (25% on weapon) for 6 seconds.
- Evade Shot — 15s CD: Leap back 5m and shoot an arrow dealing 125% weapon damage to your target.
- Evasive Knockback — Evade Shot staggers and pushes the target back 2m.
- Go the Distance — Evade Shot grants you a 15% haste for 5s.
Summary: This can be a viable PvP ability because of its stagger effect and its haste. You can use this to peel for yourself and get melee enemies to back off.
Crafting Material: Starmetal Bow Charm - Energizing Evade Shot: Gain 19 Stamina (34 on weapon) and reduced cooldown by 14% (25% on weapon) after hitting a target with Evade Shot.
Rain of Arrows
- Rain of Arrows — 25s CD: Shoot a barrage of arrows that covers a 3m radius area and deals 150% weapon damage.
- Barbed Arrows — Rain of Arrows causes bleed, dealing 7.1% weapon damage per second for 12s.
- Hooked Arrows — Rain of Arrows causes a 15% slow for 4s.
Summary: This ability is not commonly used, but it can have incredible AoE burst if placed in the correct spot. The only problem with the ability is that it can be very difficult to quickly place because of its ground targeting.
Crafting Material: Orichalcum Bow Charm - Lasting Rain of Arrows: Slow and bleed last 20% longer (30% on weapon).
- Perforate — 14s CD: Shoot 3 consecutive arrows. First Arrow: 100% weapon damage. Second Arrow: 100% weapon damage. Third Arrow: 125% weapon damage and staggers.
- Rapid Accuracy — If all 3 arrows hit the same target, Rapid Shot's cooldown is reduced by 50%.
- Final Blow — The third arrow of Rapid Shot deals 25% extra damage.
Summary: This is always used in PvP and PvE. It fires three quick high damage shots and the final one will stagger the target. When used with its perk, it will result in even more raw damage output.
Crafting Material: Reinforced Steel Bow Charm - Penetrating Rapid Shot: Increase armor penetration of all Rapid Shot attacks by 19% (33% on weapon).
- Penetrating Shot — 18s CD: Shoot an arrow that deals 150% weapon damage and passes through targets.
- Blood Soaked Arrow — Penetrating Shot deals 10% increased damage after each hit.
- Deep Strike — Penetrating Shot deals 20% more damage to targets 20m or more away.
Summary: Very strong damaging ability in PvP and PvE. It will go through multiple targets and can be weaved right after using a heavy shot for a large burst combo. It should be used to finish enemies off when using its perk so it can reset.
Crafting Material: Reinforced Starmetal Bow Charm - Refreshing Penetrating Shot: Penetrating Shot kills reduce this ability's cooldown by 14% (25% on weapon).
- Explosive Arrow — 22s CD: Fire an arrow that deals 50% weapon damage on hit, then explodes on impact dealing an additional 135% damage to all targets within a 2.5m radius.
- Flame Arrow — Explosive Arrow direct hits inflict burn, dealing 8% weapon damage every second for 10s.
- Contained Detonation — Explosion damage increased to 170% weapon damage, but decreases the explosion radius to 1.3m.
Summary: Another high damage ability that can be weaved into a heavy shot. When used correctly it can result in a two-hit kill combo on squishy targets. This can be used to increase DPS in PvP and PvE.
Crafting Material: Reinforced Orichalcum Bow Charm - Empowering Explosive Arrow: Explosive Arrow hits grant Empower, increase damage by 19% (34% on weapon) for 10 seconds or until the next attack.
- Evasive Tactics — Important ability for all types of content. It is a large damage increase for just dodging once. This will have high up time.
- Catch Me If You Can — While haste is nice to have, you have better sources you can pick from with more consistency. This is a low value passive.
- Impale — This is a low value option because of the marginal slow it applies only when you hit full health targets.
- Closing In — Great option for cooldown reduction.
- Dodge and Weave — Great mobility option that synergizes with all of your other reasons to constantly dodge.
- Hunter's Insight — While stamina return is nice, only getting 5 stamina back is not worth it. This passive does not have much value.
- Archer's Speed — Free mobility that synergizes well with Dodge and Weave.
- Mark — This is basically a free 10% damage increase. This should always be taken.
- Battle Precision — You will not have enough debuffs that you want to increase the durations of to make this passive worth it. Taking it will end up in a loss of damage or utility.
- Knee Shot — This ultimate is one of the most lackluster in New World. It is only a 10% slow for 2 seconds. If you take this you will lose significant damage. It does not have much viability at all.
- Long Range — Great damage increase that should always be taken.
- Aim True — Great damage increase that should always be taken.
- Finishing Shot — Great damage increase that should always be taken to secure kills on low health targets.
- Unbreakable Focus — Unnecessary damage reduction. YOu have plenty of mobility to escape if needed. If you take this you will most likely miss out on a damage passive.
- Opening Strike — While this is a large damage increase, it only applies to full health targets. As such, this is generally a low value passive.
- Surprise Attack — Even though this only applies to targets you have not hit in the last 10 seconds, it is a great source of burst damage.
- Arrow Range — This can make it easier to hit targets at a distance, but provides no damage benefits.
- Hawkeye — This is a significant source of healing, but often times you are playing in light armor and this healing will be negligible if you are being hit.
- Bullseye — Free critical hit chance that should always be taken.
- Concussion — This ultimate passive should always be taken. If you hit a headshot it will deal far more damage.
- 23 Feb. 2023: Guide added.
More Weapon Guides
- Join Us Live on Twitch for the Icy Veins Podcast
- New World Update 1.5.6
- TwitchCon Amsterdam New World PvP Arena Open & Twitch Drop
- New World July Team Update Video
- New World Steam Free Weekend (April 7-11)
- Big New World Update: Heart of Madness Reveal and PTR Notes
- New World January Update: Mutators and a Lot More
- New World Patch 1.2.2 Notes