Bow Abilities and Skill Trees for New World
Welcome to our Abilities and Skill Trees page for Bow. Here, we give you an overview of every ability that Bow has. For each of them, we explain what it does, how to best use it, how it works in combination with the weapon's other abilities, and whether or not it is worth picking. Then, we go through all the nodes in each skill tree, discussing their viability in the current meta.
While this page focuses on assessing the viability of abilities and skill tree nodes, it also gives a bit of advice on how to use them. The gameplay section of our Bow guide has additional information regarding the usage of abilities and each of our Bow PvP Builds and Bow PvE Builds has a detailed gameplay section that explains how to play the build.
- — 30s CD: Shoot an arrow that deals 50% weapon damage. On hit or land, this arrow creates 3m radius poison cloud that lasts 6s. Foes entering the cloud are poisoned and take 10% weapon damage per second for 20s.
- — Poison Shot's poison now does 12% weapon damage per second for 20s.
- — Direct hits against targets are more powerful and now deal 100% weapon damage.
Summary: This ability is not commonly used. It has some benefit by applying a long damage over time effect. The problem is its lack of burst damage. This is normally seen as a damage padding ability.
Crafting Material:- : Poison Shot's arrow also applies Weaken, reducing target's damage by 14% (25% on weapon) for 6 seconds.
- — 15s CD: Leap back 5m and shoot an arrow dealing 125% weapon damage to your target.
- — Evade Shot staggers and pushes the target back 2m.
- — Evade Shot grants you a 15% haste for 5s.
Summary: This can be a viable PvP ability because of its stagger effect and its haste. You can use this to peel for yourself and get melee enemies to back off.
Crafting Material:- : Gain 19 Stamina (34 on weapon) and reduced cooldown by 14% (25% on weapon) after hitting a target with Evade Shot.
Rain of Arrows
- — 25s CD: Shoot a barrage of arrows that covers a 3m radius area and deals 150% weapon damage.
- — Rain of Arrows causes bleed, dealing 7.1% weapon damage per second for 12s.
- — Rain of Arrows causes a 15% slow for 4s.
Summary: This ability is not commonly used, but it can have incredible AoE burst if placed in the correct spot. The only problem with the ability is that it can be very difficult to quickly place because of its ground targeting.
Crafting Material:- : Slow and bleed last 20% longer (30% on weapon).
- — 14s CD: Shoot 3 consecutive arrows. First Arrow: 100% weapon damage. Second Arrow: 100% weapon damage. Third Arrow: 125% weapon damage and staggers.
- — If all 3 arrows hit the same target, Rapid Shot's cooldown is reduced by 50%.
- — The third arrow of Rapid Shot deals 25% extra damage.
Summary: This is always used in PvP and PvE. It fires three quick high damage shots and the final one will stagger the target. When used with its perk, it will result in even more raw damage output.
Crafting Material:- : Increase armor penetration of all Rapid Shot attacks by 19% (33% on weapon).
- — 18s CD: Shoot an arrow that deals 150% weapon damage and passes through targets.
- — Penetrating Shot deals 10% increased damage after each hit.
- — Penetrating Shot deals 20% more damage to targets 20m or more away.
Summary: Very strong damaging ability in PvP and PvE. It will go through multiple targets and can be weaved right after using a heavy shot for a large burst combo. It should be used to finish enemies off when using its perk so it can reset.
Crafting Material:- : Penetrating Shot kills reduce this ability's cooldown by 14% (25% on weapon).
- — 22s CD: Fire an arrow that deals 50% weapon damage on hit, then explodes on impact dealing an additional 135% damage to all targets within a 2.5m radius.
- — Explosive Arrow direct hits inflict burn, dealing 8% weapon damage every second for 10s.
- — Explosion damage increased to 170% weapon damage, but decreases the explosion radius to 1.3m.
Summary: Another high damage ability that can be weaved into a heavy shot. When used correctly it can result in a two-hit kill combo on squishy targets. This can be used to increase DPS in PvP and PvE.
Crafting Material:- : Explosive Arrow hits grant Empower, increase damage by 19% (34% on weapon) for 10 seconds or until the next attack.
- — Important ability for all types of content. It is a large damage increase for just dodging once. This will have high up time.
- — While haste is nice to have, you have better sources you can pick from with more consistency. This is a low value passive.
- — This is a low value option because of the marginal slow it applies only when you hit full health targets.
- — Great option for cooldown reduction.
- — Great mobility option that synergizes with all of your other reasons to constantly dodge.
- — While stamina return is nice, only getting 5 stamina back is not worth it. This passive does not have much value.
- — Free mobility that synergizes well with .
- — This is basically a free 10% damage increase. This should always be taken.
- — You will not have enough debuffs that you want to increase the durations of to make this passive worth it. Taking it will end up in a loss of damage or utility.
- — This ultimate is one of the most lackluster in New World. It is only a 10% slow for 2 seconds. If you take this you will lose significant damage. It does not have much viability at all.
- — Great damage increase that should always be taken.
- — Great damage increase that should always be taken.
- — Great damage increase that should always be taken to secure kills on low health targets.
- — Unnecessary damage reduction. YOu have plenty of mobility to escape if needed. If you take this you will most likely miss out on a damage passive.
- — While this is a large damage increase, it only applies to full health targets. As such, this is generally a low value passive.
- — Even though this only applies to targets you have not hit in the last 10 seconds, it is a great source of burst damage.
- — This can make it easier to hit targets at a distance, but provides no damage benefits.
- — This is a significant source of healing, but often times you are playing in light armor and this healing will be negligible if you are being hit.
- — Free critical hit chance that should always be taken.
- — This ultimate passive should always be taken. If you hit a headshot it will deal far more damage.
- 22 Oct. 2023: Guide updated for expansion.
- 23 Feb. 2023: Guide added.
- Icy Veins Podcast About Path of Exile
- ARPG Vault Discord Giveaway
- Icy Veins is Getting a New Look
- Join Us Live on Twitch for the Icy Veins Podcast
- New World Update 1.5.6
- TwitchCon Amsterdam New World PvP Arena Open & Twitch Drop
- New World July Team Update Video
- New World Steam Free Weekend (April 7-11)