TBC Classic Frost Mage Stat Priority
On this page, you will find out the optimal PvE stat priority for your Frost Mage in TBC Classic. We first present the stat priority, before delving into more complex explanations.
Stat Priority for Frost Mage
- Spell Hit rating to cap. That is 127 without Inspiring Presence and Totem of Wrath, 114 with Inspiring Presence only, 89 with Totem of Wrath only and 76 with both;
- Spell Damage;
- Spell Haste;
- Spell Crit;
- Spirit and MP5;
Stats explained for Frost Mage
Spell hit rating
Frostbolt, your main spell, gain 6% Hit chance from Elemental Precision. This was a bug throughout original TBC, and confirmed to be in TBC Classic as well by the Mage Discord. The general aim is to be Hit capped for bosses and level 73 targets (16%), so Frost Mages need 10% hit chance from gear and buffs. On trash mobs, Frost Mages may use an item set without any Hit rating on it, since they are naturally hit capped versus level 70-72 targets by the Elemental Precision talent. Spell Hit rating until the cap is the best stat any Mage can get, 12.62 Spell Hit rating are required for 1% Spell Hit chance.
Any increase in this stat increases the damage all your spells do. This stat scales even better in TBC with the Empowered Frostbolt talent.
Casting 1% faster means doing 1% more damage but spending 1% more Mana, however, Frost Mages usually do not have Mana problems. 15.77 Spell Haste rating will increase Spell Haste by 1%.
Frost Spell Crits do 209% damage with the Ice Shards talent and Chaotic Skyfire Diamond, 200% damage without the Skyfire Diamond, so Spell Crit is pretty good for Frost Mages. However, the 22.08 Critical Strike rating required to increase your Critical Strike chance by 1%, make this stat one of the most "expensive" in terms of item budget. As a consequence, Frost Mages only gear for crit, if there is no alternative to it.
Intellect increases your Mana pool, and your Mana regeneration and Critical Strike chance with spells slightly. 80 points of Intellect are required to increase the Critical Strike chance by 1%. You should never gear for Intellect as a Frost Mage, and only take the Intellect that naturally comes with gear.
Stamina increases your Health, which makes you more likely to survive, if you get damaged. The rule is simple: Stamina is no stat you should actively gear for, but it never hurts to have some. For High King Maulgar in Gruul's Lair, one Mage needs enough Stamina to reach 10.000 health, in order to tank one boss.
Spirit and MP5
Both stats increase your Mana regeneration, but are most unimportant. Frost Mages rarely experience Mana issues, therefore these stats are nothing to aim for.
- 30 May 2021: Guide added.
- Burning Crusade Classic Hotfixes: January 12th
- A Dramatic UBRS Hardcore Death and Escape
- Reminder: Burning Crusade Classic Season 2 Ending Soon
- When Your Cat Kills Your Hardcore Character
- Molten Core SoM Hardcore Raid: Magmadar and Garr
- Burning Crusade Classic Hotfixes: January 4th
- The State of Burning Crusade Classic Server Populations
- Burning Crusade Classic PvP Season 2 is Ending January 11
- Shaman Tank comprehensive guide - Learn how to master World of Warcraft Classic Season of Mastery as a proficient Shaman Tank
- Melee Hunter Guide - Playing World of Warcraft as a Melee Hunter
- Jailer is in ICC!
- A-Whitemane-OHANA 8/10
- Shaman Tank Guide - Playing WoW as a Shaman Tank
- New player interested in TBC - Boost or level?
- Hunter Macros for TBC Cassic?
- Which class are you going to play in Classic and why?