Emalon the Storm Watcher Encounter Guide: Strategy, Abilities, Loot
Overview of Emalon the Storm Watcher in Wrath of the Lich King
Emalon the Storm Watcher is the second boss available inside the Vault of Archavon in Phase 2 of WotLK. Emalon the Storm Watcher is a Nature based mob, dealing high area based Lighting damage. Emalon himself drops Chests, Gloves and Legs for PvP and PvE sets. On 10-player, these will be item level 225 and on 25-player these will be item level 232. You are able to run both 10-player and 25-player versions of the raid weekly, so be sure and run both every week for the highest chance of getting loot.
Role-Specific Tips for Emalon the Storm Watcher
- Ranged DPS players will want to spread out to avoid causing the Chain Lightning to bounce too much. Avoid standing too closely to Emalon so you do not need to move when he casts Lightning Nova.
- Melee DPS will need to be aware whenever Lightning Nova is being cast. Quickly move away from the boss out of range or you will die.
- Whenever a Tempest Minion is buffed with Overcharged all DPS need to quickly swap to it and kill it before it reaches 10 stacks.
- Do not bother attacking the Tempest Minion outside of the Overcharged buff as this is a waste of damage. All DPS should be focused on the boss as the adds quickly respawn if killed and heal when buffed by Overcharge.
- Be sure to spread around the room to prevent Chain Lightning from bouncing too much.
- Be mindful of the tank assigned to the adds as they will take increased damage while the Tempest Minion is buffed by Overcharged.
- Have one tank focus on Emalon himself while the other tank grabs all four of the Tempest Minions. Keep the four adds close to the boss so the DPS can quickly swap over to them when needed.
- Be sure to evenly spread threat on all four of the adds. When one of the Tempest Minions is buffed by Overcharged, make sure you have established high threat on that add as all the DPS should be swapping to kill it.
- Even tanks need to run away from Emalon when he starts to cast his Lightning Nova, as this will likely kill even you as a tank.
Emalon the Storm Watcher Abilities
- Chain Lightning — Deals around 5,000 Nature damage to a target and then bounces to a nearby ally, dealing 50% more damage with each successive bounce.
- Lightning Nova — Deals around 24,000 Nature damage to all nearby enemies within 20 yards after a 5 second cast.
- Overcharge — Overloads a nearby Tempest Minion.
- Overcharged — Increases damage dealt by 20% per stack, stacking up to 10 times.
- Overcharged Blast — Deals around 10,000 Nature damage to all enemies. Damage is increased by Overcharged stacks.
Strategy for Emalon the Storm Watcher
This fight will start with Emalon standing in the middle of his room with 4 Tempest Minions surrounding him. Start off by having the ranged spread out to avoid Chain Lightning from bouncing too much. Typically two tanks will be used for this fight, one for the boss and one for the adds. Simply pick everything up and begin nuking down the boss. Whenever Emalon casts Lightning Nova everyone (including the tanks) must move away from him to avoid the damage. Lastly, whenever a Tempest Minion is buffed with Overcharged, the raid must swap all damage to that specific add and quickly kill it before it reaches 10 stacks and wipes the raid. Make sure you prioritize these adds whenever they are buffed; if no add is buffed fully focus all damage on the boss as the adds will respawn shortly after being killed, making it a waste of your effort to attack them if they are not buffed.
Emalon the Storm Watcher Loot
In the 10-player version of this fight Emalon will drop two items. These items can either be 225 Tier 8 Gear; or a select few pieces of Deadly Gladiator PvP gear. On the 25 man version of Emalon he will four random pieces, which can either be 232 Tier 8 Gear; or a wide assortment of Furious Gladiator PvP pieces. Be sure to check out your class' PvE or PvP guides to see if you should be farming this boss weekly. Emalon the Storm Watcher also has a small chance of dropping the Reins of the Grand Black War Mammoth/ Reins of the Grand Black War Mammoth, a very large mount that allows multiple people to ride on it at the same time.
Emalon the Storm Watcher Achievements in Wrath of the Lich King
|Emalon the Storm Watcher (10 player)||Defeat Emalon the Storm Watcher in 10 player mode.|
|Emalon the Storm Watcher (25 player)||Defeat Emalon the Storm Watcher in 25 player mode.|
Emalon the Storm Watcher is just one of the four encounters eventually present in the Vault of Archavon raid of Wrath of the Lich King. If you would like to learn more about the others, please see our other pages for the raid below.
- 05 Jan. 2023: Page added.
- The Classic Hardcore Masses Gather for Onyxia Buff
- Wrath Classic 3.4.3 PTR Development Notes: September 15th
- World First Hardcore Level 60 Mage Dies for a Second Time
- Jeep Crash Into Power Line Almost Takes Out Hardcore Character
- World First Classic Hardcore Level 60 Player Dies
- Player Hearthstones Out of Hardcore Dungeon Group Because Tank Overpulled
- The Accidental Log-in and the Panicked Phone Call to Save a Hardcore Character's Life
- World First Molten Core Clear on Classic Hardcore