Frost Death Knight Leveling Guide From 55 to 80 for WotLK Classic
On this page, you will find our Level by Level Frost Death Knight leveling guide for WoW Wrath of the Lich King Classic.
Level by Level Rotation, Talents, and Trainer Skills
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Leveling Talent Tree & Build
Unlike other classes Death Knights start at level 55 so they have a considerable amount of talent points unlocked as soon as you create your character and progress through the Death Knight starting area. While you gain the points much faster than other classes it is important to have an idea of how you should spend them to avoid having to respec to take an important talent you may have missed because of how quickly you acquired the points.
- — 3 points in Improved Icy Touch
- — 2 points in Runic Power Mastery
- — 3 points in Nerves of Cold Steel
- — 2 points in Black Ice
- — 3 points in Annihilation
- — 2 points in Black Ice
- — 2 points in Endless Winter
- — 1 point in Black Ice
- — 5 points in Icy Talons
- — 5 points in Killing Machine
- — 3 points in Rime
- — 1 point in Improved Icy Talons
- — 3 points in Glacier Rot
- — 3 points in Threat of Thassarian
- — 1 point in Unbreakable Armor
- — 1 point in Hungering Cold
- — 1 point in Frost Strike
- — 3 points in Guile of Gorefiend
- — 3 points in Chilblains
- — 1 point in Lichborne
- — 2 points in Merciless Combat
- — 1 point in Frost Strike
The talents you have taken so far are mostly passive damage increases to dual-wielding or procs that will make the spells you already have much more powerful as well as some like Annihilation that will completely change your rotation as you will no longer need to refresh diseases after casting Obliterate which is your primary spender of Frost and Unholy runes. Chilblains will allow you to kite almost indefinitely as the massive slow will allow you time for cooldowns or just to stay at range against an enemy may not have been able to kill if you had to constantly stay in melee range of it. Frost Strike will act as your primary spender of Runic Power and almost entirely replaces Death Coil. Death Coil can be used with Lichborne to heal yourself, but should not be used to deal damage unless you have no way of reaching your target. Unbreakable Armor acts as both a huge personal defensive and offensive cooldown, greatly increasing your survivability against Physical damage while also increasing your Strength, giving you more Attack Power and Critical strike rating.
- Level 60 — 1 point in Howling Blast
- Level 61 to 65 — 5 points in Tundra Stalker
- Level 66 to 67 — 2 points in Butchery
- Level 68 to 69 — 2 points in Blade Barrier
Howling Blast will become a massive part of your rotation when fighting more than one mob and will be used in single-target with Rime procs. Tundra Stalker will allow you to deal even more damage and make the added Expertise increase the power of dual-wielding. Butchery continues to incentivize high uptime by granting you Runic Power every time you kill an enemy and for time spent in combat.
- Level 70 — 1 point in Blade Barrier
- Level 71 to 75 — 5 points in Bladed Armor/
- Level 76 to 78 — 3 points in Death Rune Mastery
- Level 77 to 80 — 2 points in Icy Reach
- Apply and maintain diseases using Icy Touch and Plague Strike
- Use Pestilence to spread your diseases in any situation you are fighting more than one target.
- Use Blood Strike as your primary spender of Blood Runes against up to two targets, when fighting more than two targets you should be using Blood Boil as your primary spender of Blood runes.
- Use Obliterate as your primary spender of Frost and Unholy Runes. Make sure to constantly keep your Runes on cooldown to maximize your ability usage.
- cast Howling Blast when fighting 2+ mobs or in single-target if you get a Rime proc.
- cast Frost Strike as your primary spender of Runic Power.
- cast Death and Decay when fighting 3+ mobs and you are confident they will survive most of its duration.
- Make sure you are auto-attacking at all times.
List of Trainer Skills to Buy
It is important to buy all abilities as you level as they are cheap and Death Knights have quite a few abilities that are extremely powerful in certain situations; you never know when you will need them.
Frost Death Knight Macros and Addons
Setting up an user interface and macros early on you will greatly improve the quality of your leveling experience. Check out the Frost Death Knight Macros and Addons guides in the links below for the full list.
How to Continue to Improve Your Frost Death Knight at Level 80
Some of the most relevant pages to dive deeper into are:
- The Frost Death Knight Talent builds guide offers a default build to maximize your damage and survivability as a Frost Death Knight;
- Our Frost Death Knight Rotation guide teaches you how to actually deal damage and survive in a variety of situations. It also includes tips on how to utilize your cooldowns and utility.
- Check out the Frost Death Knight Stats guide if you would like to learn how each stat effects your survivability and threat;
- The Gear guide for Frost Death Knight includes a list of gear to for you to acquire and where to find it;
- 27 Aug. 2022: Page added.
- Season of Discovery XP Buff Is Live Now!
- WoW Classic Era Maintenance Notes: February 6th
- Blizzard Teases Cozy Sleeping Bag for SoD Phase 2
- Timeline of Blizzard Presidents
- New World Buff Coming in Season of Discovery Phase 2
- A List of All Runes Coming in Season of Discovery Phase 2
- Blizzard Bans GDKP Runs in Season of Discovery Starting February 8
- NO GDKP Runs in Season of Discovery Phase 2