Rogue Class Overview
The Rogues of Azeroth are known for their mastery of all arts of subterfuge, bound only to the contracts they make. Honor is nothing but a price and their efficiency is matched only by their brutality and lethality. Their use of swift strikes combined with stealth and precision allow them to use their Energy to inflict massive damage on any foe.
Rogues receive one of the largest quality of life upgrades with Wrath of the Lich King in the form of Fan of Knives, their first true AoE ability beyond Blade Flurry, and their performance throughout the expansion is exceptional, fighting for the top spots with at least one specialization in every tier.
Playable Races for Rogues in Wrath Classic
Rogues can be played by nearly every race in Wrath Classic, with the exception of Draenei and Tauren.
What is the best race for Rogues?
The best race for Rogue depends on your faction, as well as your chosen specialization. The short answer is Troll if you play Horde and your choice does not matter if you play Alliance.
For Alliance players, the choice of race barely matters, as it does not impact your damage output like the Horde choices do. In certain situations, Human and Gnome can be better for their racial abilities, but for the most part, you can choose any race as an Alliance Rogue player in PvE.
For the Horde, Troll is the best choice for all specializations, with Orc coming in as a close second. Troll's Berserking and Orc's Blood Fury are both solid damage increases, with the potential for Orc to even become better in some situations at higher gear levels.
Are Rogues good in Wrath Classic?
Both Assassination and Combat Rogues are very desirable throughout Wrath Classic due to their high damage output and beneficial debuffs. Subtlety, for the most part, is not going to have a place in raiding in Wrath Classic and is better suited to PvP gameplay.
If you are a major fan of Subtlety and its gameplay, then you can play it, but you will generally do less damage than a Combat or Assassination Rogue.
What is the best spec for PvE Rogues in Wrath Classic?
The "best" spec for Rogue will depend on your goal: AoE damage or sustained single-target damage. Combat performs very well in terms of burst and AoE damage, while Assassination has extremely high sustained single-target damage.
Rogues are able to choose from 3 specializations: Assassination, Combat, and Subtlety.
- Assassination — this specialization revolves around the use of a combo of Poisons and daggers to unleash a strong, steady barrage of damage.
- Combat — abandoning the traditional "Rogue" style, Combat features big bursts of damage and gameplay unlike either of the other 2 specializations.
- Subtlety — Subtlety focuses on a mixture of Poisons, Bleeds, and other stealth-related abilities to contribute party-wide damage increases.
Gearing a Rogue
Rogues are only able to wear Cloth and Leather, but will realistically only wear Leather due to their reliance on Agility.
Rogues are able to use one-handed swords, maces, axes, daggers, and fist weapons, but are unable to use any two-handed weapons. Instead, they will always be dual-wielding some combination of the weapons available to them.
Rogue Addons and Macros
Addons and Macros are a solid way to help improve your gameplay and experience throughout Wrath Classic, whether it be while leveling, doing dailies, Dungeons, or raiding. Both of the pages below provide information and recommendations on some of the best addons you can use.
Rogue Guides for Wrath Classic
For those of you wishing to level a Rogue to Level 80, you can check out our spec-specific leveling guides below.
- Rogue Leveling Guide
- Assassination Rogue Leveling Guide
- Combat Rogue Leveling Guide
- Subtlety Rogue Leveling Guide
If you already hit Level 80 on your Rogue, you can check out the full guides, with Phase 1-specific advice for endgame PvE activities.
- 22 Sep. 2022: Page added.
- Join Us Live on Twitch for the Icy Veins Podcast
- US Federal Trade Commission "Likely to File Antitrust Lawsuit" to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Wrath Classic Class Vs. Spec Balance, Featuring Retribution Paladins
- Wrath Classic 3.4.1 PTR: Titan Rune Dungeons, Argent Tournament
- Official Controller Support Coming to Wrath Classic in the Ulduar Patch
- Wrath Classic Hotfixes: November 18th
- Blizzard in China: All the Details, Rumors and New Information
- Gold Cap Will Not Be Increased in Wrath Classic