Rogue Leveling Guide From 1 to 80 for WotLK Classic
In this article, we will help you with leveling in Wrath Classic as a Rogue. Rogues perform completely differently depending on the spec they choose to level as, but Combat is by far the fastest of the 3. They may not be the fastest at leveling, but exceed massively in PvP situations while doing so.
This page contains all of our leveling guides for Rogues, with links to each specialization's guide.
Leveling in Wrath of the Lich King
While it is important to understand your class and specialization while leveling, it can be massively helpful to have a general understanding of how leveling works in Wrath, as well as any tips that you can use to speed up the process. Our General Leveling guide covers all of this and more and you can read through it below.
Wrath of the Lich King Rogue Leveling Talents and Specializations
Rogues have three talent trees to choose from, each focusing on using different weapons and tactics in the battlefield. Those talent trees are Assassination, Combat, and Subtlety.
Assassination is, in comparison to the other 2 specializations, the weakest of the 3 in regards to leveling, especially if you consider the entire 1-80 journey. We would strongly recommend leveling as a different specialization at least until you reach Level 50, at which point you will learn Mutilate. Even with Mutilate, Assassination only becomes competitive with the others once you reach Level 62 and have Master Poisoner and Cut to the Chase.
Combat brings a number of benefits while leveling, most notably in the form of its numerous cooldowns and AoE, which can allow you to burst down packs of enemies or quest bosses. You also have the benefit of Riposte, which can help you to survive against melee enemies.
Subtlety lacks in damage compared to Combat, but it excels massively due to its stealth and CC benefits. It utilizes Cheap Shot and Ambush far more, which can help to deal with single-target fights more rapidly and safely, but has a very different playstyle to Combat and will be noticeably slower due to the lack of Blade Flurry, among other cooldowns.
Fastest Leveling Specialisation for Rogues in WotLK Classic
The fastest specialization for leveling is Combat, due to its excellent burst damage, solid AoE, and "upfront" damage, as opposed to long ramp-up times.
Subtlety can still be a good choice if you prefer its playstyle, but it still will not be as fast as Combat.
General Leveling Tips for Rogues
There are a number of small tips you should pay attention to when leveling as a Rogue, as they can help you massively to smooth out the process.
- First Aid is always helpful, given that Rogues do not have the ability to heal themselves effectively without it.
- Holding Vanish as an escape will always help to maintain a smooth leveling run. Trying to use it as a DPS-increase will normally reset the mob you are fighting and the damage you would gain if you manage to successfully use it saves far less time than the time you would save from not having to corpse-run.
- Do not forget to grab new ranks of your Poisons while leveling.
Professions for Leveling as a Rogue
You will need a massive amount of gold at max level, especially if you are on a fresh realm, and you will likely be better served taking a double gathering setup, such as Skinning and Mining or Mining and Herbalism (the ideal choice will depend on your realm), allowing you to get a decent base of gold before reaching Level 80.
Consumables for Leveling as a Rogue
The most important consumables for Rogues are their Poisons, of which you should ensure to always have a ready supply of in your bags. Instant Poison is going to be the best choice for leveling by far.
Beyond Poisons, you can look to have a supply of healing potions and bandages ready.
- 23 Sep. 2022: Page added.
- Icy Veins Launches Genshin Impact Guides Section
- Honor Decay Removed In Season of Discovery and Classic Era
- Season of Discovery Launch Times
- Season of Discovery Will Launch With Fewer Realms
- Icecrown Citadel Player Buff Coming Early December
- Battle.net Black Friday Sale: Up to 67% Off
- Blizzard Explain Why Classic Hardcore Servers Are Down Longer
- WoW Classic Patch 1.15.0 Notes