FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Gruul

Guest Xaoc

Is it possible to have the ranged groups stack behind the tanks (10 yrds) for the Inferno Slice? 10 yrds behind so they dont get hit by Overwhelming Blows, but still in range for the shared cleave. 

Guest T

Step through this reasoning with me -

Inferno Slice is done every 10 seconds.  The debuff lasts 30 seconds.  If there are 2 groups of people set up to get hit by Inferno Slice, at time 0 group 1 receives a slice, their debuff has 30 seconds remaining.  At time 10, group 2 receives a slice, their debuff is applied with 30 seconds remaining, group 1 has a debuff with 20 seconds remaining.  At time 20, a third Inferno Slice is about to happen.  Where does it go?  Group 1 will have a debuff with 10 seconds remaining.  Group 2 will have a debuff with 20 seconds remaining.  Applying multiple stacks of the debuff is Very Bad.

Possible conclusions: 

a ) Inferno Slice is cast less frequently than the stated every 10 seconds.

b ) Inferno Slice debuff is shorter than the stated 30 seconds.

c )  More than 2 groups are required to properly handle the debuff.

d ) ???

Guest Justin

Enrage timer is approximately 6 minutes in the release version for Heroic.

Guest Teh Mighty Penguin

We just completed the encounter a bit different. The setup is basicly the same, except that instead of having the main tank go to one group (and then the other) with the inferno slash ability, we had the off-tank taunt during the cast-timer, so only he and the group he stood with got the flaming debuff. Right after the ability was cast, the main tank taunted him back (so the off-tank didn't get the other stacking debuff) the off-tank moved to the other group and taunted during the inferno slash cast-timer again. When the ability had been cast, the off-tank then took the main tanks position and the main tank ran to the first group. Rinse and repeat.

Positive: less damage for the currently tanking tank, due to the fact he only has one type of debuff on him.

Negative: the off-tanking tank will need some healing, due to the debuff from inferno slash

Thanks, guys.

Inferno Slice is actually cast about every 16 seconds (17 until the debuff is actually applied, seems like). So I'm editing that in the guide. Using two groups should still be perfectly viable. I'm also adding the enrage timer!

Thanks, guys.

Inferno Slice is actually cast about every 16 seconds (17 until the debuff is actually applied, seems like). So I'm editing that in the guide. Using two groups should still be perfectly viable. I'm also adding the enrage timer!

It looked to be more around 20s between hits (judging on what my debuff timer was at when the visual went off on the other side).

Guest Aanvil

1)  Has anyone successfully solo soaked Inferno strikes as a tank?

2)  Do AMS or bubble prevent application of the Inferno stacks?

3)  How many inferno strikes total per phase 1?

If it is possible to solo soak, and you only get 3 strikes per phase 1, then it would seem to be possible to have the raid all stacked together to take strikes 1 and 3 while the tank solo soaks number 2.

1)  Has anyone successfully solo soaked Inferno strikes as a tank?

2)  Do AMS or bubble prevent application of the Inferno stacks?

3)  How many inferno strikes total per phase 1?

If it is possible to solo soak, and you only get 3 strikes per phase 1, then it would seem to be possible to have the raid all stacked together to take strikes 1 and 3 while the tank solo soaks number 2.

1) Haven't seen any tanks successfully solo tank an Inferno Strike so far, but that doesn't mean it can't be done, but I would assume that it would take personal and external cds to do so, since it is meant to hit 4+ targets (the cleave group you face him towards for it normally).

2) Again, likely too much damage for it to be fully absorbed to prevent the stack from being applied.

3) From what I remember, it was more around 4-5 Inferno Strikes before phase 2 began.

Way we handle the debuffs:

1. MT moves to G1 for 1st slice. OT taunt during 2nd into G2. Rinse and repeat.

2. Whoever was not tanking the boss when he reaches Phase 2 taunt the boss during P2 (his overwhelming debuff should wear off during that Phase) and tank the boss until the debuff wears off on the other tank. Both overwhelming debuff gets reset that way.

1) Haven't seen any tanks successfully solo tank an Inferno Strike so far, but that doesn't mean it can't be done, but I would assume that it would take personal and external cds to do so, since it is meant to hit 4+ targets (the cleave group you face him towards for it normally).

I have with only Shield Wall + 1 slice debuff already I believe.

Edited by Hawkin

Guest lichwraith-stormscal

Yes it is possible to solo soak the slice and makes the entire fight tank and spank tbh.

Presumably a pally monk and dk can do it all as effectively as one another but I am a dk and my guild killed it with me solo soaking half the slices.

Defile and purgatory talents are a helpful addition from the talent tree- purgatory for safety but shouldnt be necessary.

I changed to glyph of icebound fortitude and absorb magic to double up the soak from ams and give me more usage from icebound throughout the fight although I soak it without externals so the icebound glyph pssibly isny mantitory depending on your healer setup but 50% is alot if you time it right to gain from solo soak reduction imo.

So as we did it.... (obviously bone shield always up)

Slice 1 I solo soak with vampiric blood ams and rune tap no other cds

Slice 2 I pre cast defile and as hes casting it hit rune tap then icebound(careful if glyphed as it only lasts 2 seconds)

I then tanked up to and including slice 3 but this time I run into entire raid group to share the soak with raid cds ie power word barrier.

Slice 4-5 are soaked by offtank (who taunts as soon as 3rd slice is over)

we had a warrior so his magic mitigation wasnt quite as good as mine so he used his cds on first soak then he was given all raid externals pain sup-barkskin etc to make sure he survives (probably easier with another dk or pally/monk) but the externals saw  him through.

I then taunted for slice 6 using vamp blood ams and rune tap again (this is cruicial though the swap must not be done before the overwhelming blows stacks fall off as p2 does not have enough time to reset the overwhelming blows debuff)

I actually ended up taunting in the middle of the cast for the 6th slice.

Then its transition rinse-repeat and noone get hit by the conal-fight is tank and spank and easy.

(if offtank dies on 2nd one it will most likely wipe from overwhelming assult stacks on main tank)

If anyone has this setup with good magic damage mitigating tanks though use this and you will find this boss on farm in no time + enjoy :)

Yes it is possible to solo soak the slice and makes the entire fight tank and spank tbh.

Presumably a pally monk and dk can do it all as effectively as one another but I am a dk and my guild killed it with me solo soaking half the slices.

Defile and purgatory talents are a helpful addition from the talent tree- purgatory for safety but shouldnt be necessary.

I changed to glyph of icebound fortitude and absorb magic to double up the soak from ams and give me more usage from icebound throughout the fight although I soak it without externals so the icebound glyph pssibly isny mantitory depending on your healer setup but 50% is alot if you time it right to gain from solo soak reduction imo.

So as we did it.... (obviously bone shield always up)

Slice 1 I solo soak with vampiric blood ams and rune tap no other cds

Slice 2 I pre cast defile and as hes casting it hit rune tap then icebound(careful if glyphed as it only lasts 2 seconds)

I then tanked up to and including slice 3 but this time I run into entire raid group to share the soak with raid cds ie power word barrier.

Slice 4-5 are soaked by offtank (who taunts as soon as 3rd slice is over)

we had a warrior so his magic mitigation wasnt quite as good as mine so he used his cds on first soak then he was given all raid externals pain sup-barkskin etc to make sure he survives (probably easier with another dk or pally/monk) but the externals saw  him through.

I then taunted for slice 6 using vamp blood ams and rune tap again (this is cruicial though the swap must not be done before the overwhelming blows stacks fall off as p2 does not have enough time to reset the overwhelming blows debuff)

I actually ended up taunting in the middle of the cast for the 6th slice.

Then its transition rinse-repeat and noone get hit by the conal-fight is tank and spank and easy.

(if offtank dies on 2nd one it will most likely wipe from overwhelming assult stacks on main tank)

If anyone has this setup with good magic damage mitigating tanks though use this and you will find this boss on farm in no time + enjoy smile.png

I have heard rumors that a hotfix has gone in that makes it so Inferno Slice gives Gruul 50 Rage if it doesn't hit a minimum number of players (4, 5?). Have you heard anything of this? Have you done the solo tanking recently, or at the very start of the lock-out?

Thanks!

I don't know about the hotfix to normal/heroic, but that extra rage generation is part of the mythic version of the fight. So, if your end goal is to push into mythic, it might be better to get used to the movement / positioning and CD rotation on the lower difficulties as well.

Just killed it with my guild on normal. We one shot the guy with this strat:

MT

1st Slice: G1
2nd Slice: G2
3rd Slice: G1

OT taunt

1st Slice: G2

2nd Slice: G1

3rd Slice: G2

Rinse and repeat.

Just killed it with my guild on normal. We one shot the guy with this strat:

MT

1st Slice: G1

2nd Slice: G2

3rd Slice: G1

OT taunt

1st Slice: G2

2nd Slice: G1

3rd Slice: G2

Rinse and repeat.

Entirely viable for normal, but for heroic I'd recommend taunting after each 2nd inferno slice to reduce the amount of damage taken by the tanks, as a 2 stack debuff will wear off after the other tank takes 2 stacks since he casts inferno slice every 16s.  So it looks like this:

MT:

1st slice - G1

2nd - G2

OT Taunts

3rd slice - G1

4th - G2

MT Taunts

5th slice - G1

6th - G2

After the 6th slice he goes into Destructive Rampage and the cycle restarts with the MT taking the first 2.

Guest lichwraith-stormscal

I have heard rumors that a hotfix has gone in that makes it so Inferno Slice gives Gruul 50 Rage if it doesn't hit a minimum number of players (4, 5?). Have you heard anything of this? Have you done the solo tanking recently, or at the very start of the lock-out?

Thanks!

I did this yesterday no extra rage was generated- have done it a couple of times for bonus rolls and works fine at least as off yesterday.

I don't know about the hotfix to normal/heroic, but that extra rage generation is part of the mythic version of the fight. So, if your end goal is to push into mythic, it might be better to get used to the movement / positioning and CD rotation on the lower difficulties as well.

Confirmed with a 3rd kill extra rage is not genertated by solo-soaking,

My raid team has been very successful with each tank taking 3 slices. This requires the use of cooldowns on the second and third, but allows the damage from overwhelming blows to drop off between swaps. I'm making a video guide I can post later.

So mythic Gruul was stealth nerfed in the past week or 2. On Mythic the inferno slice debuff lasted 40s. (check world first videos and even some from the end of February 2015).

Now it lasts 30s, which can considerably lessen the difficulty of the encounter.

Basically with 2 (or even 3 tanks, doesn't matter) you can have 3 groups of players of 6 each (group 2,3 and 4) and just rotate one slice per group with each tank doing 3 slices in a row.

Do that for 9 slices and repeat again.

Guest Kaedys

Guide seems to be wrong on Flare for Mythic difficulty.  The fireballs definitely do not move in a the same line straight out from the furnace each time.  They can spew out at quite extreme angles (I've had the fireball from Furnace right next to me pass horizontally in front of my group).  They seem to target a random ranged member in the raid and run in a straight line toward their position when they spawned.

I've gotten to the point where I jsut call tank cooldowns on the fly because we keep changing tanks / healers / dps so we always have something different.  So I get too lazy to set it up before the pull and just call it out.

Heres a video if anyone cares to see what I do (usually has some kind of rotation), maybe it helps someone do better