Vlad

Hearthstone Skelesaurus Hex

8 posts in this topic

This thread is for comments about our Skelesaurus Hex guide for League of Explorers.

I defeated Heroic Skelesaurus HEx with these F2P decks.

Skelesaurus' hero power grants him 0-cost spells and minions, which means he will very quickly pull ahead.
There are also three different Hunter traps AND Mad Scientist in his deck, adding even more unpedictiveness and tempo disparity to the fight. It is okay to let the three Snakes live as they fill the board and Skelesaurus might be unable to play any big minion.
Skelesaurus' permanent and ridiculous tempo advantage will give you nearly no chance to win the long game. That is why you have to try to gain and keep board control and tempo for the first few turns and then burst him down.
Side note: Skelesaurus once played Jaraxxus on turn 1 and used his new hero power every turn. The fact that I beat him more easily this way shows how ridiculously overpowered he is otherwise.

F2P Shaman (0 Dust)
Inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LktGcuwj1W0

2x Murloc Tinyfin
2x Rockbiter Weapon
2x Elven Archer
2x Grimscale Oracle
2x Murloc Raider
1x Sir Finley Mrrgglton
2x Bluegill Warrior
2x Flametongue Totem
2x Jeweled Scarab
2x Murloc Tidehunter
2x Windfury
2x Hex
2x Bloodlust
2x Everyfin Is Awesome
2x Fire Elemental
1x Stormwind Champion

Mulligan for Murlocs. You need to play a minion every turn.
Discover Hex or Murlocs.
Focus on face damage early on, only kill the biggest threats.
You will need two of these combos to beat Skelesaurus: Everyfin Is Awesome into board control (at least 4 minions), Bloodlust (at least 4 minions), Flametongue Totem+Windfury.
Difficulty: Hard (may take more than 10 tries).

twGeUOB.jpg

F2P Mage (0 Dust)

2x Arcane Missiles
2x Mirror Image
2x Frostbolt
2x Forgotten Torch
2x Jeweled Scarab
1x Brann Bronzebeard
2x Frost Nova
1x Ironfur Grizzly
2x Animated Armor
2x Fireball
2x Polymorph
2x Water Elemental
2x Ethereal Conjurer
2x Frostwolf Warlord
2x Summoning Stone
2x Flamestrike

Mulligan for Animated Armor, then Jeweled Scarab.
Animated Armor might not live as long as in other fights because of Tail Swipe. Try to Discover Duplicate, Spellbender or Echo of Medivh to counter that.
Combine spells with Summoning Stone. Combine Discover minions with Brann Bronzebeard. Excellent spells are board freezes, Ice Barrier and burn.
Difficulty: Hard (may take more than 10 tries).

LPQEWcH.jpg

• Like 1

The first deck that I tried from this guide was the F2P Mage presented by Bob. I won with it after only two attempts.

JSJhqeP.png

On T1, Skelesaurus Hex played a free Chromaggus. At first I was like, you've got to be kidding me! Then I realized that it worked to my advantage. His hand quickly filled up so that his hero power was not generating any more free cards. I got an Animated Amor in play to soak up damage from the minions he played from his deck, and I left Chromaggus alive as long as possible. Once I had a Summoning Stone in play, I was able to gain a decent-sized board and began the task of damaging Skelesaurus Hex. His minions ignored mine at first, but once he started getting low on health, his focus changed. He killed off most of my minions in one turn, including Animated Armor and Summoning Stone. Luckily, RNG gave him an Abomination and me a Flamestrike. My Frostwolf Warlord was spared from "death by abomination" and able to deal the final blow.

Thank you for the deck/strategy, Bob.

Edited by CaptLando
  • Like 1

I had some success with a modified version of the Cheap Paladin deck updated for TOG 5.0. Basically more secret counters and dropping the nerfed cards:

2x Selfless Hero TOG

2x Equality

2x Shielded Minibot GvG

2x Aldor Peacekeeper

2x Steward of Darkshire TOG

2x Muster for Battle GvG

2x Consecration

2x Keeper of Uldaman LoE

2x Enter the Coliseum TGT

1x Tirion Fordring

2x Abusive Sergeant

2x Zombie Chow Naxx

2x Mind Control Tech

1x Eater of Secrets TOG

2x Kezan Mystic

2x Sea Giant

I found that mill rogue works too with a little luck. Added Pit Snake and Emperor Cobra, as well as Shadowcaster and Betrayal to the usual list found here on icy-veins.

On 11/22/2016 at 11:55 PM, Guest Guest said:

This deck worked pretty well (1st time) with summoning stones, northshire cleric and healing the summoning stone.

Glad to hear so! Thanks for coming to share :)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Aleco

Anton "Dvck" Lund found his way out of a jam on the ladder. Can you?
      Dvck and Aleco discuss the importance of planning ahead, understanding the meta, and knowing when to pivot your role in a matchup.
      The player interviews I've done with RayC and TerrenceM have been some of the most fun and informative episodes of "What's the Move?", so I was very excited when Anton "Dvck" Lund reached out to me via reddit with a play from a recent game of his. Playing as Combo Dragon Priest, Dvck was able to find his way out of a tough spot against Murloc Paladin. Can you do the same?
      In this week's episode, Dvck and I discuss the importance of planning ahead, understanding the meta, and knowing when to pivot your role in a matchup. For what ended up being a relatively short episode by "WTM" standards, I was pleasantly surprised by how much we were able to break down together so quickly. The interview with Dvck was as fun as it was informative, so I hope to have him back on the show soon! If you're interested in watching some high-legend gameplay, be sure to tune into Dvck's stream on twitch.tv.
      You can look forward to a few more episodes about the Hearthstone World Championships in the coming weeks, but I always welcome submissions and suggestions for future episodes. Did you have a favorite play from the world championships? Feel free to link me the VOD here on Icy Veins or send me a message on twitter @Aleco_P.
      Thanks for watching!
    • By positiv2
      This thread is for comments about our TvZ: uThermals Fast 3CC into Bio build order.
    • By Aleco
      Kolento and ShtanUdachi found themselves in nearly identical situations at the world championships - but did they make the same decisions?
      Episode 14 of "What's the Move?" discusses the importance of being mana efficient in the early game, as well as the relationship between speed and value.

The Hearthstone World Championships were full of incredible plays, sticky situations, and valuable lessons to be learned from the best players on the planet. There were far too many great plays to analyze in a single video, so for the next few episodes of "What's the Move?" I'll be breaking down all of my favorite plays from the World Championship weekend.
      To kick things off we have a pair of Tempo Rogue vs. Highlander Priest matchups featuring Kolento and ShtanUdachi. Both players drew nearly identical opening hands, but did they did make same decisions?
      If you managed to spot a particularly tricky or interesting play from the recent World Championships, please feel free to link it in the comment section below! I'd love to break down as many viewer-submitted topics as I can in the coming weeks and months, and I have little doubt that I may have missed some of the most fascinating plays from the tournament during my initial viewing.
      Wishing you all the best of luck in the post-nerf meta!
      - Aleco
    • By Zadina

Welcome to the post-Corridor Creeper meta.
      Hearthstone Update 10.2 is now live worldwide and it's a big one!
      The first change it brings are the nerfs to four cards that have terrorised dominated the meta up until now. Bonemare now costs 8 mana, Patches the Pirate no longer has Charge, Raza the Chained makes the Hero Power cost (1) instead of (0) and Corridor Creeper has been butchered down to 2 attack. You can read Aleco's interesting opinion piece on Blizzard's nerf policy here.
      The second big addition of this patch is the Ranked Play update, which will take effect on March 2018. Players will now drop only 4 ranks with each monthly reset, all ranks will have 5 stars and you will only need to win 5 Ranked games to earn the monthly card back.
      The Year of the Mammoth Bundle is also finally available on the Shop. For $19.99 or 19.99 EUR, you can get 30 packs - 10 for each of the Year of the Mammoth expansions (Un'Goro, KFT, K&C). Don't forget that the Quest for Packs event is still ongoing and an addition has been made to the grand prize winner reward: $1.200 (read here for more info)!
      Lastly, the patch introduces the Wildfest event. From February 19 to March 11, Hearthstone is going Wild! Initially, you will be able to draft cards in Arena mode that are exclusive to Wild. Second, even though Tavern Brawl is usually on Wild format, there will be two special Wild Brawls. The first one is called "Venture Into the Wild" and it will just contain premade Wild decks for each class. The second one, "The Wild Brawlisseum", is basically a Wild Heroic Tavern Brawl, but with a major improvement: the first run will be free for everyone. You can read more about Wildfest here.
      Below you can read the patch notes, which describe all the updates as well as various bug fixes. A massive change is that the timer for the first two turns will now be shorter!
      Daxxarri
      The tavern is buzzing with all the stuff that’s packed into this Hearthstone update! There’s a Ranked Play update, a Wild party, card changes, and a chance to save on packs with a new Mammoth Card Bundle! We managed to squeeze in some card backs and bug fixes too!

Whew! Read on for details!

Ranked Play Update – This Hearthstone update brings changes to Ranked Play, starting March 1st. Read the Ranked Play Updates blog for details! Your reset will not be based on the stars you earned over the season. Instead, you’ll reset to four ranks below the highest rank you achieved during the season. Players at Legend reset to rank 4, 0 stars. All ranks will have 5 stars. Starting in March, you will no longer earn the monthly card back by reaching Rank 20. Instead, you can earn each season’s card back by winning 5 games in Ranked Standard or Wild at any rank. Card Changes – Please read the Upcoming Balance Changes blog on the official Hearthstone site for full details regarding the reasons and philosophy behind these changes. Corridor Creeper – Now has 2 attack, down from 5.
      Patches the Pirate – No longer has Charge.
      Raza the Chained – Now reduces your Hero Power cost to 1 instead of 0.
      Bonemare – Now costs 8 mana, up from 7.
      Wildfest! From February 19th through March 11th join us for a Wild party! Read the Wildfest blogfor details! Wild cards return to the Arena for the duration of Wildfest. Venture into the Wild – A Tavern Brawl celebrating Wild with pre-built decks. The Wild Brawliseum – A special Tavern Brawl where you’ll build and lock-in a Wild deck, and then see if you can take it to twelve wins versus other players! Three losses and your run comes to an end. Your first Brawliseum run is free! Additional runs are available for the same price as Arena tickets. Also like the Arena, prizes are based on number of wins, and follow the Arena reward structure.
      Year of the Mammoth Bundle For a limited time, purchase 10 packs each of Journey to Un’goro, Knights of the Frozen Throne, and Kobolds & Catacombs—a total of 30 packs!—for a special price.

Added the following card backs: Sparkles - Acquired from achieving Rank 20 in Ranked Play, February 2018.
      Year of the Mammoth – Acquired from winning five games in Ranked Play, March 2018.
      Bug Fixes & Updates Gameplay
      The turn timer for the first two turns of a match are now shorter, though they should still be significantly longer than most players take on those turns. Switching from Valeera the Hollow to Deathstalker Rexxar will now correctly allow Rexxar’s Battlecry to destroy minions buffed to 2 health by Stormwind Champion or similar effects. Nemsy Necrofizzle’s Hero frame is now golden if you have unlocked the golden Warlock Hero. Removed rarity gems from several summoned minions. Playing multiple copies of Temporus in a row will now queue up sequences of two turns for your opponent and two turns for you. Fixed a bug where the Divine Shield provided by Elixir of Purity could not be silenced. Spectators now see green highlights on playable cards for both players. Fixed an issue that could cause Hearthstone to freeze when a spectated player disconnects and their opponent concedes. Tooltips for Hero Cards now appear correctly when spectating. Resolved a crash that could occur when drawing a Darkness Candle spell after The Darkness is no longer dormant. Grand Archivist can now correctly cast the Darkness Candle spell if it is present in a player’s deck. Resolved a crash that could occur when certain cost reducing cards were played. Resolved an unintended interaction that could occur with Anomalus, Taunt minions, and Commanding Shout. Added missing Collection Manager tooltips to several cards. Resolved an issue that could cause a player to become stuck when reconnecting before the first turn. Resolved an issue that would prevent the progress notification for more than one Daily Quest from being shown after a match is complete. Ice Breaker now correctly destroys Rotface without activating his effect if he is Frozen. Resolved interface issues that could arise when retiring an Arena game. Resolved an issue that would allow the Friends menu to remain active while a Friendly Challenge is active. Fixed various minor visual and text issues. Dungeon Run & Adventures
      The cards that appear in several loot categories have been adjusted slightly. Cards stolen by Gloves of Mugging now appear in history tile when played by an opponent. Resolved a visual issue with Candlebeard’s charge enchantment banner. [Adventures] Atramedes now correctly uses his Hero Power whenever he should. Mobile
      Resolved an issue with the Collection Manager that could allow the set filter to be interacted with behind the “Done” button. Scrolling through an Arena deck on a mobile device will no longer generate unnecessary prompts. The “Back” button will now function correctly after an Arena run is complete. History tiles that were queueing up while viewing a history event now populate correctly. Resolved an issue that could cause crafted cards to remain visible over the Collection Manager. Corrected a visual issue with the search bar in the Collection Manager. [Android] Resolved an issue with the download progress indicator. [iOS] Compatibility now requires iOS 8.0 or later. [iOS] The client will no longer sometimes freeze when a spectated player wins a match.   (source)
    • By Zadina

According to the Principal Game Designer, Cubelock isn't as powerful as it seems.
      Cubelock won't be touched in the upcoming balance changes which, for many people, is a sign that the deck will completely dominate the meta after said changes become active.
      The deck is already prominent enough that people have started making false claims about it. A Reddit user claimed that he faced 17 Cubelocks in a row! However, Mike Donais put the matter into place by saying that there was no such streak in Blizzard's internal data and that Cubelock is currently the 12th best deck.
      He subsequently explained that he expects the deck to rise after the nerfs, but he's not too worried because it's a challenging (and expensive, I would add) deck to master. If the team feels that Cubelock is too powerful, though, they will evaluate it.
      mdonais
      I just checked the data, and no one played 17 cubelocks in a row today.
      If you are indeed having trouble with Cubelock there are several decks that beat it consistently right now. It is currently the 12th best deck.
      I did enjoy the title of your post though. (source)

A couple people asked why the stats I mentioned don't metch VS power ranking so I looked up VS 79 and across all rankings Control Warlock is the 10th best deck. I assume they mix control and cube warlock in their stats. We have decks broken out a bit more but 10th gives you the general idea.
      Obviously after the nurfs it will be stronger since none of the cards in cubelock are being nurfed and that concerns me but it is a pretty challenging deck with a lot of opportunities to show off player skill. People will eventually get better at playing it, but people will also put in more weapon destruction or silence cards if it gets more popular.
      I am excited to see what people figure out after the patch. If Warlock is a big problem after people have some time to adjust and tune the new decks then we will look into it. I have said many times before that win rate is not the most important factor in our nurf decisions. How people feel matters more, so we will listen to players and make decisions based on that, just like we did in the past with Quest Rogue and Patron Warrior. (source)