FORUMS
Damien

Marksmanship Hunter 7.3

Guest Waspire of Antonidas

i dont get it .. u know while leveling or solo it .. i never used lone wolf  because the mobs hit like trucks with spikes in the front ... while your guide is primarily for raiders... the average joe's skill set may not be good as yours ... you will spend alot of your time during the upcoming xpac doing solo questing and  u need your pet to tank mobs!. perhaps u should also have a solo spec in this guide. the reason im against side winders is that it removes 2 skills  .. arcane shot and multi shot. i do alot of chain pulling . sidewinders  has a 12 second cooldown.  arcane shot gives 5 focus a use  + the regen is u use steady focus(that scales with haste if i understand right) ability. multi gives 2 focus per target hit(+regen with stedy shot) + usually in beta im pulling 3 to 5 in beta im hitting with multi for 15-25k a shot basically also i am using the multi + dmg  rune. i have not raided as i will not be able to raid at all. so im looking for 5 mans and mythic+ dung. the procs (wish it would state the chance % to activate per min) from lock and load were far and few between, to justify taking patient sniper. could us perhaps give a dps listing to  give damage details in comparison for this guide for each skill. (suggestion) are u using the 4 piece skill for instant mark shots for this guide?

Waspire of Antonidas

Guest Mike

The guide states that vulnerable is a 30 second buff that stacks three times, but I am not seeing this in game. It does not stack and has an uptime of 6 seconds. Does this effect rotation?

10 minutes ago, Guest Mike said:

The guide states that vulnerable is a 30 second buff that stacks three times, but I am not seeing this in game. It does not stack and has an uptime of 6 seconds. Does this effect rotation?

This is the effect of the Patient Sniper talent.

I'm totally lost with the rotation as well :( 

Can someone please upload a video while doing a steady rotation so we can have a visual?

I chose the raid talents suggested on this guide. I would love to see a video that illustrates a rotation based on those talents please.

Thanks so much guys!

45 minutes ago, Guest Waspire of Antonidas said:

i dont get it .. u know while leveling or solo it .. i never used lone wolf  because the mobs hit like trucks with spikes in the front ... while your guide is primarily for raiders... the average joe's skill set may not be good as yours ... you will spend alot of your time during the upcoming xpac doing solo questing and  u need your pet to tank mobs!. perhaps u should also have a solo spec in this guide. the reason im against side winders is that it removes 2 skills  .. arcane shot and multi shot. i do alot of chain pulling . sidewinders  has a 12 second cooldown.  arcane shot gives 5 focus a use  + the regen is u use steady focus(that scales with haste if i understand right) ability. multi gives 2 focus per target hit(+regen with stedy shot) + usually in beta im pulling 3 to 5 in beta im hitting with multi for 15-25k a shot basically also i am using the multi + dmg  rune. i have not raided as i will not be able to raid at all. so im looking for 5 mans and mythic+ dung. the procs (wish it would state the chance % to activate per min) from lock and load were far and few between, to justify taking patient sniper. could us perhaps give a dps listing to  give damage details in comparison for this guide for each skill. (suggestion) are u using the 4 piece skill for instant mark shots for this guide?

Waspire of Antonidas

Yeah, that's why it recommends Black Arrow for solo content/non-raiding content, summons a pet to tank for you. Don't need an actual pet (which is incapable of holding aggro anyway).

Lock and Load is not an RPPM mechanic, it's impossible to do what you're asking.

The guide is relevant for anyone regardless of whether they have the set bonus or not.

Anecdotal experience does not outweigh simulated results and more, regardless of the type of content you're doing.

14 minutes ago, Elle said:

I'm totally lost with the rotation as well :( 

Can someone please upload a video while doing a steady rotation so we can have a visual?

I chose the raid talents suggested on this guide. I would love to see a video that illustrates a rotation based on those talents please.

Thanks so much guys!

I uploaded a simplified rotation using the recommended talents. It's not optimal, but it's something to build on. Should be up soon.

24 minutes ago, Azortharion said:

I uploaded a simplified rotation using the recommended talents. It's not optimal, but it's something to build on. Should be up soon.

This is just one of the reasons I luv you! Your willingness to always find a way to help describes your awesome character :)

Thanks so much! :)

Guest arcane shot in 7.0.3

wait, we dont have Arcane Shot and Multishot anymore, the guide isn't updated to address that.

Just now, Guest arcane shot in 7.0.3 said:

wait, we dont have Arcane Shot and Multishot anymore, the guide isn't updated to address that.

We do, they both get replaced by Sidewinders when you take that talent.

Guest Bloodybooger
3 hours ago, Damien said:

The simplified rotation is up :p

Link pls?

Guest Destri

Am I correct in assuming that I should use barrage in a pure single target situation with no upcoming add phase even with vulnerability up?

I'm assuming the downtime is coming from the effect of the 4x setbonus. Does it make sense to drop the 4 piece bonus to get a smoother rotation? 

Guest hunter are wierd atm

is it just me or are we missing arcane shot and multistrike

9 minutes ago, Guest hunter are wierd atm said:

is it just me or are we missing arcane shot and multistrike

If you mean Arcane Shot and Multishot, this was answered 5 posts ago: 

5 hours ago, Orthios said:

they both get replaced by Sidewinders when you take that talent

Feedback for solo/questing players

After playing for a while both on PTR and Live... I actually like the new talents/rotation. I know, it sounds weird but if you take some time to get used to it I think it feels better than prepatch. Black Arrow and Sidewinders benefit from haste and their cooldowns go considerably down, which means more casts per minute.

Black Arrow's minion can hold aggro pretty well (I tried on some rare elites in Nagrand) if you attack one mob at time. It lasts only 8 seconds but you just need to recast it if you need it again. If the mob is closing the distance... just slow it with Concussive, Binding, or Bursting shots. From what I've seen so far, if you're MM specced... Misdirection is almost completely useless and will be used in raids/dungeons only.

I've got some troubles managing multiple mobs but I must admit I'm slow (and I still click icons). Not having a permanent-invincible tank (our old pet) means you can't stand-still while the pet takes all the damage forever. Also, Black Arrow's minion will hold aggro on a single target (unless you Misdirect everything on your first Black Arrow shot, which may take a bit of skill/timing). It's also harder if you want to kite a pack of mobs because we now can't use traps, even though Binding and Bursting shots help a lot.

A few more things:

• If you choose Sidewinders, it will replace both Arcane shot and Multishot. That's intended and it frees you from more clicks.
  • If you choose Black Arrow for solo/questing, I strongly suggest to also use Binding Shot for a better crowd control. Remember: Black Arrow's minion will keep aggro on a single target for 8 seconds only, forget about mass-aggroing the entire room and misdirect 20 mobs on it. No way, that era is ended.
  • Fastrider is an extremely good talent, it will let you Disengage a LOT during the fights. Kiting will be much better.
  • Misdirection got a massive 30sec cooldown and can't be casted forever at will on your minion. You will use it in groups, mostly.
  • Barrage AoE mass-killing is dead but we can still play a "cheap" version. Find a pack of mobs, Black Arrow one and immediately Misdirect on your minion. Then Sidewinders + Barrage. If stuff isn't dead you're out of luck, sadly, because the next Misdirect will be up in 20 seconds or more and your next Black Arrow minion will aggro 1 mob only. Kite mobs with Bursting and Binding shots until Misidirect is up and repeat the process. It will need some practice.
  • I didn't play beta but from what I see now on live with decent gear... questing 100->110 will be all about killing stuff slowly. No more "jump in, aggro 10 mobs, kill and collect". Do you remember Tanaan Jungle the very first days? That's it.
Edited by Loque

Guest Guest 1010

5. Opener Sequence

This section describes the recommended way to start the fight as a Marksmanship Hunter. It assumes you are using the recommended talents for the spec.

1. Just before the encounter starts, use your Draenic Agility Potion Icon Draenic Agility Potion.
  2. Activate Trueshot Icon Trueshot, and right-click the boss to start casting Auto Shot.
  3. Cast Barrage Icon Barrage.
  4. Cast Sidewinders Icon Sidewinders.
  5. Cast Aimed Shot Icon Aimed Shot twice.
  6. Cast Marked Shot Icon Marked Shot
  7. Cast Aimed Shot Icon Aimed Shot
  8. Cast Sidewinders Icon Sidewinders
  9. Proceed with your normal rotation.

Was mostly confused on the opener but with this it helps, and that the single target rotation thing had every talent in it even though you suggested not to use them made it a bit hard to read but with the simplified version it's understandable.

Guest Garkk

Still needs a bit of cleaning or clarification down in the tier 7 recommendations. Does this make sense to someone else, given that arcane and multi-shot are gone?

You should generally not cast Sidewinders unless Marking Targets Icon Marking Targets is up so that it may activate Hunter's Mark Icon Hunter's Mark, or it reaches 2 charges (meaning you would waste charges by keeping it off cooldown).

Guest repulse86

I'm carefully following single target rotation and can't go over 55k on target dummy with 4set 725 ilvl (~10m rotation). Did 49k on kazzak, which is 40k less than yesterday. according to this guide, mm hunt is one of the best dps classes but so far I haven't felt that :( are your numbers similar or am I doing something wrong? single target dmg seems to be rly low..

2 minutes ago, Guest repulse86 said:

I'm carefully following single target rotation and can't go over 55k on target dummy with 4set 725 ilvl (~10m rotation). Did 49k on kazzak, which is 40k less than yesterday. according to this guide, mm hunt is one of the best dps classes but so far I haven't felt that :( are your numbers similar or am I doing something wrong? single target dmg seems to be rly low..

Damage numbers for every class are much lower than they were before the patch.  

Might someone define "RNG" in the body of the article on Marksman Hunters (MMH)?

It is proper to capitalize words for abbreviation with the capitalized letters in parentheses after the word as such: Round Night Ground (RNG), so that frequent subsequent use of the phrase does not become tedious for the author.

Picky I am, sure. But I'd like to better understand the author.

I do like the new MMH.

Thank you.

Guest Sil

What about bursting shot ? Not used at all in MM ?

6 hours ago, Ningjalong said:

Might someone define "RNG" in the body of the article on Marksman Hunters (MMH)?

It is proper to capitalize words for abbreviation with the capitalized letters in parentheses after the word as such: Round Night Ground (RNG), so that frequent subsequent use of the phrase does not become tedious for the author.

Picky I am, sure. But I'd like to better understand the author.

I do like the new MMH.

Thank you.

RNG means Random Number Generator. 

5 hours ago, Guest Sil said:

What about bursting shot ? Not used at all in MM ?

Bursting Shots damage is quite weak, and is not worth using.