Jump to content
FORUMS
Damien

Subtlety Rogue 7.3

Recommended Posts

Guest Ryjhan

Sub guide seems to be recommending some non-optimal talent choices, at least according to the most current simulationcraft results. Using subterfuge, premeditation, and master of shadows over nightstalker, alacrity, and death from above is going to get you a lot more shadowstrikes over the course of a raid encounter and result in more damage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Guest Ryjhan said:

Sub guide seems to be recommending some non-optimal talent choices, at least according to the most current simulationcraft results. Using subterfuge, premeditation, and master of shadows over nightstalker, alacrity, and death from above is going to get you a lot more shadowstrikes over the course of a raid encounter and result in more damage. 

Those talent choices are fine if you're new to the specialization since the Legion changes. Our listed talents will definitely provide more burst during ring and during procs, but make pooling and executing your burst a lot more important (which APLs always struggle to model, which is why forgiving choices are usually favored). When using Bleeding Hollow Toxin Vessel, those talents can actually be quite potent, but the pre-patch can usually be pretty volatile with respect to balance. Basically, since we (theorycrafters & the like) are all so focused on Legion, there might be some unexpected bumps in the road during 7.0.3 for every class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good job guys incredible guide as we are used to ! 

I'm a bit disappointed because I was expecting Sub to stay better than Assassination in term of single target DPS and I was attracted by Sub gameplay as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Neriliel said:

Good job guys incredible guide as we are used to ! 

I'm a bit disappointed because I was expecting Sub to stay better than Assassination in term of single target DPS and I was attracted by Sub gameplay as well. 

Don't worry dude, it will definitely take over later in Legion! Assassination doesn't scale very well since Mastery doesn't affect your Bleeds at all and Haste doesn't have much value to begin with. Subtlety on the other hand scales extraordinarily well and I would expect it to be dominant in Nighthold or the tier after!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Tomate

Thanks for this guide.

I just wandering my self why : " Gloomblade Icon Gloomblade is actually a DPS loss if you can guarantee that the majority of your Backstab Icon Backstabs will come from behind the target."

Gloomblade is shadow damage so it ignore armor. I log on my beta account and can confirm that Gloomblade does ~25% more damage than backstab. I can understand it's not optimal but I really doubt it's a DPS loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Guest Tomate said:

Thanks for this guide.

I just wandering my self why : " Gloomblade Icon Gloomblade is actually a DPS loss if you can guarantee that the majority of your Backstab Icon Backstabs will come from behind the target."

Gloomblade is shadow damage so it ignore armor. I log on my beta account and can confirm that Gloomblade does ~25% more damage than backstab. I can understand it's not optimal but I really doubt it's a DPS loss.

It depends on the mob, as I had mixed results when doing practical testing. Definitely a significant downgrade from the other two talents in any case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Zarayis

Hey, I've been practicing this rotation for the past three hours on a target dummy, but I can only sustain 45-47K. (No food/flask/rune, Ilvl 730), Is that around where it should be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Guest Zarayis said:

Hey, I've been practicing this rotation for the past three hours on a target dummy, but I can only sustain 45-47K. (No food/flask/rune, Ilvl 730), Is that around where it should be?

Subtlety is pretty dependent on your gear right now. If you have Bleeding Hollow Toxic Vessel your damage should be quite solid in a raid environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Luzzt

Is really versatility in top stat? with so many finishers and the constant use of them, should mastery be giving more damage overall? 

or is it because with no alacrity the will be less finishers to take advantage of mastery? is focusing more on a constant base dagame than micro burst? i was just not specting versatility to top as a stat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Guest Luzzt said:

Is really versatility in top stat? with so many finishers and the constant use of them, should mastery be giving more damage overall? 

or is it because with no alacrity the will be less finishers to take advantage of mastery? is focusing more on a constant base dagame than micro burst? i was just not specting versatility to top as a stat.

It's because of Bleeding Hollow Toxin Vessel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Reerun

Hi! Great guide! I did notice one teeny weeny little thing, not to nit pick or anything, but as far as your Tricks macro goes, I always used 

/cast [@Tank's Name] Tricks of the Trade

which does the same thing, you just don't switch targets. Might be a little easier for someone less experienced with macros as well. I will say I haven't raided since the beginning of Cata, but I imagine it would still work. Anyway, good work! The rogue community was very well blessed as far as theorycrafting, etc. back in the EJ days, and it's nice to see someone else grab the reigns and help people out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Guest Reerun said:

Hi! Great guide! I did notice one teeny weeny little thing, not to nit pick or anything, but as far as your Tricks macro goes, I always used 

/cast [@Tank's Name] Tricks of the Trade

which does the same thing, you just don't switch targets. Might be a little easier for someone less experienced with macros as well. I will say I haven't raided since the beginning of Cata, but I imagine it would still work. Anyway, good work! The rogue community was very well blessed as far as theorycrafting, etc. back in the EJ days, and it's nice to see someone else grab the reigns and help people out.

Thanks for the suggestion about the macro! The current macro allows you to cast Tricks on whatever your mouse is currently hovering over, which means you can put it on any player you wish by just hovering over them in the raid frames or in-game. It's slightly more flexible than a direct target macro on a single player, especially if you have to swap between tanks often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest 8bitmadness

I know that Alacrity tends to be the best choice since it improves combo point generation overall, but is there in your opinion any time where Enveloping Shadows will be useful?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Guest 8bitmadness said:

I know that Alacrity tends to be the best choice since it improves combo point generation overall, but is there in your opinion any time where Enveloping Shadows will be useful?

I'm not convinced that it will be, but maybe in later tiers as we move into Legion. We'll see as time goes on, these sorts of things are updated regularly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Zed

The guide mentions to maintain Nightblade only on the primary target. Is it not worth it to apply it onto a second/third target if available/possible, similar to how assassination does with rupture?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Snowstone

Hey.

Night elves used to have an advantage whit the old sub spec. We could use our racial shadowmeld for a free ambush that allowed us 10 more secs of find weakness every 2 mins.

This advantage isn't totally gone though. We can still use shadowmeld to cast shadowstrike whitout being into vanish or Shadow dance.

I guess it gives the race a little advantage over the other races but nothing big. Maybe it is worth to be pointed out into your guild?

And while i'm at it, thank you for this guide!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Guest Zed said:

The guide mentions to maintain Nightblade only on the primary target. Is it not worth it to apply it onto a second/third target if available/possible, similar to how assassination does with rupture?

Nightblade has such a short duration that in *most* cases it is best to play to your strengths and focus on dealing as much damage as possible to the most important target. If a new target spawns, however, such as the Deathcaller on Archimonde, you switch and apply Nightblade ASAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Veinøm@Hyjal

Hi,

i would like to use one key for bacsktab and shadowstrike, so I tried to play with this macro :

#showtooltip

/cast [stance:0] backstab

/cast [stance:1/2/3] shadowstrike

It doesn't work with shadowdance (stance:3 before Legion pre-patch) because it's not a stance anymore...any idea ?

 

Anyway, thanks for your very complete guide

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Guest Veinøm@Hyjal said:

Hi,

i would like to use one key for bacsktab and shadowstrike, so I tried to play with this macro :

#showtooltip

/cast [stance:0] backstab

/cast [stance:1/2/3] shadowstrike

It doesn't work with shadowdance (stance:3 before Legion pre-patch) because it's not a stance anymore...any idea ?

 

Anyway, thanks for your very complete guide

I don't think it's possible anymore. You should try: /cast [mod:shift] Shadowstrike; Backstab

That will use the same button but you'll have to hit shift. Blizzard doesn't allow for scripting based off what buffs you have - if you would like to have an easier way of knowing when Shadow Dance is available and / or active, you can look at using an addon such as Weakauras which can help track things such as Shadow Dance, and help you know when to SS and when to BS

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Bazdouf

Hi, 

I was just wondering about a nightstalker/anticipation/enveloping shadows/DfA where you would be casting 2 eviscerate/dfa during shadow dance and though net you a max 30 s cd on shadow dance, and enveloping shadow might generate a bit less CP but it gives you one more finisher to reduce shadow dance cd. Would it be viable ? i don't have a lot of time to play right now, and it might get better when legion launch because of Bleeding Hollow Toxin Vessel.

Thanks !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Guest Bazdouf said:

Hi, 

I was just wondering about a nightstalker/anticipation/enveloping shadows/DfA where you would be casting 2 eviscerate/dfa during shadow dance and though net you a max 30 s cd on shadow dance, and enveloping shadow might generate a bit less CP but it gives you one more finisher to reduce shadow dance cd. Would it be viable ? i don't have a lot of time to play right now, and it might get better when legion launch because of Bleeding Hollow Toxin Vessel.

Thanks !

Obviously you are free to choose whatever talents you want if you just want to mess around or try fun builds, but that will result in a pretty major DPS loss. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/07/2016 at 10:21 PM, Furty said:

Obviously you are free to choose whatever talents you want if you just want to mess around or try fun builds, but that will result in a pretty major DPS loss. 

Even with an full artifact ? Or is enveloping shadows really that weak without a mastery scaling

Cause i like the anticipation/nightstalker combo, so maybe with master of shadows and alacrity/premeditation ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bazdouf said:

Even with an full artifact ? Or is enveloping shadows really that weak without a mastery scaling

Cause i like the anticipation/nightstalker combo, so maybe with master of shadows and alacrity/premeditation ?

Even at 110 it falls noticeably behind the other talent options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Furty said:

Even at 110 it falls noticeably behind the other talent options.

okay, thanks for the quick response !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Starym
      Blizzard have now clarified the datamined AOE target cap, explaining why and how they're implementing the change. Some abilities will have a limit on how many targets they can affect, and some will still affect all targets, but will have damage falloff after a specific number of targets is hit.

      This massive change to AOE is sure to upset quite a few people, so it remains to be seen if the decision will survive the Alpha.
      AOE Changes (source)
      We’ve definitely heard a lot of feedback from players that bursting down larger and larger pulls has become an overly dominant tactic in much of the game. This is particularly evident in questing and dungeons, which has made it difficult for many classes to find a clear role.
      While there are a number of variables contributing to this trend, high burst area of effect (AOE) damage against an unlimited number of targets has made it increasingly possible for players to take down large groups of enemies without the players ever facing a proportionate level of danger. In Shadowlands, we’re looking at changes that would broaden the field of tactical options, and in the process, more clearly differentiate the strengths of classes in a variety of AOE situations.
      For example, we’d like to see Outlaw Rogues or Fury Warriors excel in situations with 4 to 5 targets in close proximity to each other, while ranged casters like Frost Mages or Affliction Warlocks perform better in sustained damage against groups of 5 or more targets. To accomplish this, we need to revisit the maximum number of targets that many abilities can hit (also known as the ability’s “target cap”), and adjust them accordingly. In situations where a target cap doesn’t make sense, we’re adding a new kind of damage falloff that causes the damage done to each target to be reduced gradually as the number of targets increases.
      Most players who are used to fighting 3 to 5 enemies at a time will notice very little difference with this approach. On the other hand, players who are accustomed to pulling 10-20 enemies at a time will experience longer, more threatening engagements. Sustained AOE damage may become an equally viable option in that situation, but both approaches will put significantly more pressure on the group to survive.
      Latest Shadowlands News
      Quest Interface Improvements Coming in Shadowlands Shadowlands Development Update Notes: April 9th Death Knights and Demon Hunters Start at Level 8 in Shadowlands Allied Races No Longer Require Grinding Reputation to Exalted Controller Support Strings in WoW Shadowlands Alpha Client Found Shadowlands 9.0.1 Build 33978 A New Leveling Experience in Shadowlands Hunter Stable Size Increased in Shadowlands Shadowlands Class Changes All Covenant Class Abilities Shadowlands Developer Update PvP Vendors Return in Shadowlands
    • By Starym
      We've had a lot of discussion on the recently datamined controller strings added to the Shadowlands Alpha, with players arguing over whether we're actually getting far more changes to the game to support controllers, and even some news outlets suggesting that this addition indicated WoW's arrival on consoles. The discussions cover the fact the inventory and entire UI would have to be changes to acomodate true controller support, with some even thinking the gameplay and skills would be changed.
      Luckily we now have an official comment on the matter, confirming that the addition is only meant to replicate what addons have already been doing and perhaps help the modders do an even better job at it:
      Controller Support (source)
      That’s not exactly the intention here.
      For a long time, we’ve seen a small number of players turn to 3rd party addons, such as Console Port, in order to work through certain accessibility issues.
      We always want to make WoW more widely accessible, if possible, so in Shadowlands, we’re attempting to add some support for keybinds, camera, and turning a character on controllers such as the Xbox Adaptive Controller.
      We’re glad that the community has felt empowered to make addons tailored to specific needs like this, and we’re going to continue to encourage that as best we can.
      Latest Shadowlands News
      AOE Ability Changes in Shadowlands (Official) Flying Available at Level 25 in Shadowlands Quest Interface Improvements Coming in Shadowlands Shadowlands Development Update Notes: April 9th Death Knights and Demon Hunters Start at Level 8 in Shadowlands Allied Races No Longer Require Grinding Reputation to Exalted Controller Support Strings in WoW Shadowlands Alpha Client Found Shadowlands 9.0.1 Build 33978 A New Leveling Experience in Shadowlands Hunter Stable Size Increased in Shadowlands Shadowlands Class Changes All Covenant Class Abilities Shadowlands Developer Update PvP Vendors Return in Shadowlands
    • By Damien
      This thread is for comments about our Handbuff Zoo Warlock deck.
    • By Stan
      You will unlock your 60% mount at level 10 and flying at level 25 in Shadowlands.
      Shadowlands comes with a level squish and all characters that currently have level 120 will be scaled down to level 50 once the expansion pre-patch goes live. With that in mind, Blizzard made adjustments to levels required to unlock mounts and flying.
      New characters will unlock their first mount when they finish Exile's Reach. 150% flying is available at level 25.
      Apprentice Riding (60% Ground Speed)
      Requires: Level 10 Costs: 95 Silver Journeyman Riding (100% Ground Speed)
      Requires: Level 17 Costs: 47 Gold 50 Silver Expert Riding (150% Flying)
      Requires: Level 25 Costs: 237 Gold 50 Silver Artisan Riding (280% Flying)
      Requires: Level 27 Costs: 4,750 Gold Master Riding (310% Flying)
      Requires: Level 30 Costs: 4,750 Gold
      Latest Shadowlands News
      Quest Interface Improvements Coming in Shadowlands Shadowlands Development Update Notes: April 9th Death Knights and Demon Hunters Start at Level 8 in Shadowlands Allied Races No Longer Require Grinding Reputation to Exalted Controller Support Strings in WoW Shadowlands Alpha Client Found Shadowlands 9.0.1 Build 33978 A New Leveling Experience in Shadowlands Hunter Stable Size Increased in Shadowlands Shadowlands Class Changes All Covenant Class Abilities Shadowlands Developer Update PvP Vendors Return in Shadowlands
    • By Stan
      With Shadowlands Alpha now live, we've noticed various improvements to the quest interface. There's now a visual 3D indicator that displays how far you are away from quest objectives in real time and it is easier to distinguish main quests from side quests.

      Quest objectives are now marked on the map with shield-shaped icons instead of round circles.

      Here's a preview of the 3D indicator which displays the current distance from your quest objective. It's now easier to identify if an objective is above or below you.

      Here's a short description of the new feature taken from the developer update.
      (Source)
      We have been making improvements to our quest interface, with an eye toward better distinguishing major quests that are required to advance the narrative from optional side quests that tell more localized stories. Our work-in-progress 3D indicator of tracked quest objective locations will be available to use, which aims to reduce the need to bring up the map when navigating the world and help more clearly identify when an objective is above or below you. We’re also rolling out a system that allows players to set a personal waypoint on the map as well as share that pin in chat channels, so that you should no longer need an add-on to convey exactly where Rustfeather just spawned. Latest Shadowlands News
      Shadowlands Development Update Notes: April 9th Death Knights and Demon Hunters Start at Level 8 in Shadowlands Allied Races No Longer Require Grinding Reputation to Exalted Controller Support Strings in WoW Shadowlands Alpha Client Found Shadowlands 9.0.1 Build 33978 A New Leveling Experience in Shadowlands Hunter Stable Size Increased in Shadowlands Shadowlands Class Changes All Covenant Class Abilities Shadowlands Developer Update PvP Vendors Return in Shadowlands
×
×
  • Create New...