FORUMS
Damien

Unholy Death Knight 7.3

9 minutes ago, Drikai said:

I was wondering if there is a soft cap for Crit for unholy and if so if anyone knows what it is. 

I'm not sure there's a straight value I can honestly give - there are basically points where stats become more or less useful depending on the amount of other stats you currently have. 

The best way to find these points is to sim your character every time you get a new piece of gear, if you want as close to an exact art as you can get.

Guest Blitz

Whats your opinion on the addon PAWN to test itemization vs item level.

47 minutes ago, Guest Blitz said:

It works, but you need proper stat weights for it to work. To find these, you need to use SimulationCraft on your character.

On 9/25/2016 at 4:52 PM, Guest Kank said:

With the changes to potions, is it better using Deadly Grace or Old War?  Also would one be better than the others on certain fights / situations?

Always Potion of the Old War.

On 9/25/2016 at 5:04 PM, Kankersore said:

Which potion are we supposed to be using?  I've seen people use Deadly Grace and Old War.  Can't get a straight answer as to why for either or.   Also if you use one for fight A would there be a reason to use the other for fight B?

Potion of the Old War is  supposed to be for melee.

On 9/26/2016 at 6:07 AM, Guest Octopicake said:

Any recommendations on what Legion dungeon / raid trinkets are best for Unholy DK?

Highest Item level there's probably gear lists already, gonna try to put some "BiS" lists but usually the mythic + trinkets are gonna be bis most likely.

On 9/27/2016 at 2:47 AM, Elondrae said:

so i am really confused on unholy vs frost. On one hand I have people generally say frost not good enough, while others say its a hidden gem with the right build. I apologize if this isnt the place to ask, but is there really a dominant dmg spec for dks? I only ask because i want to start one up, but i dont know what i should pick as my spec. ty in advance.

Unholy is better right now not just dps wise but provides more tools to the raid than Frost.

3 hours ago, Drikai said:

I was wondering if there is a soft cap for Crit for unholy and if so if anyone knows what it is. 

There's no cap for Crit, stack as much as you can.

1 hour ago, Guest Blitz said:

No idea what that is, never tried it.

Done with "progress" should be able to update the guides these days just need some break first.

Guest blitz
On 9/29/2016 at 4:23 PM, Blainie said:

It works, but you need proper stat weights for it to work. To find these, you need to use SimulationCraft on your character.

So im getting Str > Crit ~= Haste > Vers > Mastery 

Str  1  Crit  .79  Haste  .77  Vers  .70  Mastery .58
Which is contradictory to the actual guide. But thats from Sims. Should I just go with these?

1 hour ago, Guest blitz said:

So im getting Str > Crit ~= Haste > Vers > Mastery 

Str  1  Crit  .79  Haste  .77  Vers  .70  Mastery .58
Which is contradictory to the actual guide. But thats from Sims. Should I just go with these?

Mastery should be better in general while Versatility might pull ahead on single target fights unless you have the legendary bracers.

Hey Tegu,

I have a question about scaling: As far as I can tell, unholy doesn't scale that well with a higher ilvl on the weapon, since a lot of our damage isn't affected by weapon damage (e.g. festering wound, virulent plague, death coil and pet damage). Therefore I'm concerned that other classes will outscale us later on in the expansion, when everyone has a higher itemlevel than now. What's your take on this?

27 minutes ago, Zataron said:

Hey Tegu,

I have a question about scaling: As far as I can tell, unholy doesn't scale that well with a higher ilvl on the weapon, since a lot of our damage isn't affected by weapon damage (e.g. festering wound, virulent plague, death coil and pet damage). Therefore I'm concerned that other classes will outscale us later on in the expansion, when everyone has a higher itemlevel than now. What's your take on this?

I agree that we are gonna fall behind in terms of damage if they don't buff Unholy even right now isn't that good on longer fights, hopefully Blizzard gonna do something about it, obviously we get extra stat from the item level but classes that fully benefit from weapon damage have advantage.

hello all, Dk uh I wonder what you think of my warcraft logs

://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/LbH3pjZnfBQ89hvM /

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2T48qrVDHjMRNmXL/

he fight I AoE but a cap mastery around 40% by changing a piece of stuff I then exceed 40% of mastery by removing the crit? I use fever and epidemic of ebony. if I my class understands the weight crit> strength to weight?

sorry for my english, Naltard

Edited by Naltard

Hey guys, just two quick questions I can't seem to find an answer to.

First things first, let me quote these two tooltips
Festering Wound tooltip: "A pustulent lesion that will burst on death or when damaged by Scourge Strike [...]"
Death and Decay tooltip: "[...]While you remain within the area, your Scourge Strike will hit all enemies near the target."

So, what I'd like to know is: 
1) Is the bursting part of Festering Wound dealing AoE damage? If not, the death portion of it seems pointless. I know that there's the Bursting Sores talent that gives AoE damage, but as I said, if it doesn't deal AoE damage by default, the "damage on death" portion becomes totally useless, as the target is already dead.

2) If I apply Festering Wounds to 3 targets by hitting every single one of them with Festering Strike once, and then I hit JUST ONE with Scourge Strike while standing over Death and Decay, are they ALL gonna suffer from bursting Festering Wounds? I might be wrong, but to me it seems that just the targeted one has its wounds bursted, the other 2 simply take the raw Scourge Strike damage.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

On 10/4/2016 at 6:24 PM, Naltard said:

It's probably better to make a thread in our Death Knight forum if you want help with your logs. The moderators there can help out.

15 hours ago, Fexamir said:

Not sure on either of these. Going to tag @demonardvark, hopefully he can help.

Guest Lazorith

Is there some reason the ranged dps pot is being displayed for DK? I'm thinking its a mix up but perhaps its something that I missed? Pretty sure Potion of the old war is the melee dps pots. 

Guest Lazorith

Is there a haste cap we should try to hit if we go cast in t3 tallents? I do understand that haste=crit or is supposed to but having more reliable extra wounds I think out ways the haste(in theory). Also been looking at top parses and been seeing more into crit over haste. Also still seeing mark of the satyr instead of mark of the claw.  Does one proc more than the other? Thanks for the help ^^

On 10/4/2016 at 8:24 PM, Naltard said:

://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/LbH3pjZnfBQ89hvM /

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2T48qrVDHjMRNmXL/

he fight I AoE but a cap mastery around 40% by changing a piece of stuff I then exceed 40% of mastery by removing the crit? I use fever and epidemic of ebony. if I my class understands the weight crit> strength to weight?

sorry for my english, Naltard

Strength is our best stat followed  Crit > Haste 18 % ~ > Mastery > Versatility, with the legendary bracers stats might change a bit.

On 10/5/2016 at 5:51 AM, Fexamir said:

First things first, let me quote these two tooltips
Festering Wound tooltip: "A pustulent lesion that will burst on death or when damaged by Scourge Strike [...]"
Death and Decay tooltip: "[...]While you remain within the area, your Scourge Strike will hit all enemies near the target."

So, what I'd like to know is: 
1) Is the bursting part of Festering Wound dealing AoE damage? If not, the death portion of it seems pointless. I know that there's the Bursting Sores talent that gives AoE damage, but as I said, if it doesn't deal AoE damage by default, the "damage on death" portion becomes totally useless, as the target is already dead.

2) If I apply Festering Wounds to 3 targets by hitting every single one of them with Festering Strike once, and then I hit JUST ONE with Scourge Strike while standing over Death and Decay, are they ALL gonna suffer from bursting Festering Wounds? I might be wrong, but to me it seems that just the targeted one has its wounds bursted, the other 2 simply take the raw Scourge Strike damage.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

1) Without the talent Bursting Sores doesn't AoE.

2) Yes you can burst FW's if you have them on different targets and SS while on top of DnD.

2 hours ago, Guest Lazorith said:

Is there some reason the ranged dps pot is being displayed for DK? I'm thinking its a mix up but perhaps its something that I missed? Pretty sure Potion of the old war is the melee dps pots. 

It's from pre-legion gonna update it these days should be Potion of the old War.

2 hours ago, Guest Lazorith said:

Is there a haste cap we should try to hit if we go cast in t3 tallents? I do understand that haste=crit or is supposed to but having more reliable extra wounds I think out ways the haste(in theory). Also been looking at top parses and been seeing more into crit over haste. Also still seeing mark of the satyr instead of mark of the claw.  Does one proc more than the other? Thanks for the help ^^

There's no exact haste cap tbh i think around 18, 19 % is a good spot to stop stacking haste since you  end up with too much resources, more than you can spend. Mastery's value should pump quite a bit once you reach that amount of haste and obviously Crit stays top after Strength.

12 hours ago, Tegu said:

There's no exact haste cap tbh i think around 18, 19 % is a good spot to stop stacking haste since you  end up with too much resources, more than you can spend. Mastery's value should pump quite a bit once you reach that amount of haste and obviously Crit stays top after Strength.

20% is the number I keep hearing being thrown, do you think that is a case of people rounding or would there be a good reason to go that extra percentage point or two? 

Guest Ebon

Hey guys,

I need your help with my trinkets. I simply dont know which ones to use.

My options are:

The seed from Nythendra (865)

Angerboda (840)

Hunger of the Pack(840)

and Terrorbound Nexus (850)

From what ive tested, the nexus does scale with our mastery so it hits pretty hard, but completely random.

Thanks in advance!

13 hours ago, kaibhan said:

20% is the number I keep hearing being thrown, do you think that is a case of people rounding or would there be a good reason to go that extra percentage point or two? 

Yeah i have been hearing that too but i don't know i feel like it's a bit too much obviously if you can't get rid of  the haste 20 % is fine i guess but i would play with 18/19 % if possible and get more crit.

3 minutes ago, Guest Ebon said:

Hey guys,

I need your help with my trinkets. I simply dont know which ones to use.

My options are:

The seed from Nythendra (865)

Angerboda (840)

Hunger of the Pack(840)

and Terrorbound Nexus (850)

From what ive tested, the nexus does scale with our mastery so it hits pretty hard, but completely random.

Thanks in advance!

The seed from Nythendra is more like a tanking trinket tbh, haven't tried it for AoE but world quest trinkets with passive str  & crit / haste should be better. I would probably run memento & Hunger of the Pack if Nexus is so random also has mastery kinda meh.

Guest Deathfir

Questions about Cleave /AoE

I'm having a hard time to find what's the best way to do Cleave / AoE.

At how many targets should I stop using Festering Strike and only use Scourge Strike during Death and Decay?

For example if I have 3 targets and I drop DnC what should I do?

At how many targets should I prioritize spending all charges of Epidemic over cleaving with Scourge Strike+Death and Decay? 

For example if I have 20 targets that will die in 5 seconds, Do I use DnC and Epidemicx3 or DnC+Epidemic+Scourge Strike spam?

Basically, at wich point Epidemic starts doing more damage than Scourge Strike cleave (during DnC) ?

In Halls of Valor for example there many packs with 3 or 4 targets, what am I supposed to do?

1 Apply disease

2 Use Epidemic once

3 Festering Strike the priority target

4 Death and Decay

5 Scourge Strike until need to reapply Festering Strike

6 Epidemic if DnC  is on CD

7 ST roration

Or never use Festering during DnC?

1 Apply disease

2 Use Epidemic once

3 Death and Decay

4 Scourge Strike until DnC ends or Epidemic is about to cap 3 charges

5 Epidemic if DnC  is on CD

6 ST roration

Guest Unseth
2 hours ago, Guest Deathfir said:

Questions about Cleave /AoE

I'm having a hard time to find what's the best way to do Cleave / AoE.

At how many targets should I stop using Festering Strike and only use Scourge Strike during Death and Decay?

For example if I have 3 targets and I drop DnC what should I do?

At how many targets should I prioritize spending all charges of Epidemic over cleaving with Scourge Strike+Death and Decay? 

For example if I have 20 targets that will die in 5 seconds, Do I use DnC and Epidemicx3 or DnC+Epidemic+Scourge Strike spam?

Basically, at wich point Epidemic starts doing more damage than Scourge Strike cleave (during DnC) ?

In Halls of Valor for example there many packs with 3 or 4 targets, what am I supposed to do?

1 Apply disease

2 Use Epidemic once

3 Festering Strike the priority target

4 Death and Decay

5 Scourge Strike until need to reapply Festering Strike

6 Epidemic if DnC  is on CD

7 ST roration

Or never use Festering during DnC?

1 Apply disease

2 Use Epidemic once

3 Death and Decay

4 Scourge Strike until DnC ends or Epidemic is about to cap 3 charges

5 Epidemic if DnC  is on CD

6 ST roration

As for me, im  trying to do next sutff:

If it is myth+7 or higher then:

1. Apply disease

2. DT

3. Epidemic x1

4. Festering 2 different targets

Meanwhile ghoul is stacking lots of wounds on all mobs, then:

5. D&D & pop on use trinkets/orc racial/pot

6. SSx4-5

7. Epidemic once to let it go rechard again

8. SS till D&D falls

9. More epidemic

Well it really depends the situations during AoE in mythic + but usually you want to open with diseases and one charge of Epidemic after that you can stack FS on a mob that will die faster than the others and soul reaper + Apocalypse, Death and Decay + Scourge of Strike outside of that use your Epidemic charges and after your AoE abilities are on cooldown you can stack again FW to targets that would die faster than the rest.

Guest Succ

Hi 

I'm looking for a trinket BiS list.

Anyone got anything like that?

6 hours ago, Guest Succ said:

Hi 

I'm looking for a trinket BiS list.

Anyone got anything like that?

Perhaps this could help you, even though i am not quite sure about Ursoc's trinket since i don't have it  and everything i was told about it is that it's really weak but who knows. 

nYnnyB0.png

On 10/8/2016 at 7:14 AM, Tegu said:

Perhaps this could help you, even though i am not quite sure about Ursoc's trinket since i don't have it  and everything i was told about it is that it's really weak but who knows. 

I have Ursoc's Rending Paw.  The bleed proc definitely sucks but it does have the static strength on it.  I use it cause mine's Heroic Titanforged to ilvl 895 so it has 1875 strength on it.  Can't be that bad  at that ilvl, right?