Brettakiss

Returning Rogue - Survivability probs/Spec suggestions for 100-110

6 posts in this topic

Hello all, so I am a loooong time returning rogue (TBC). So, needless to say, I know little to nothing about rogues anymore. I only leveled my rogue after each new pac, then ended up losing interest. Legion has my attention, I love it so far, and I would LOVE to start playing rogue again. I heard that outlaw was the way to go in regards to leveling, so I tried it, but the RNG kills me. I can't stand Roll the Bones. Sure, it adds "mystery", but I would rather be calculated than 'lucky'. 

However, the main problem I have with Outlaw is the survivability. Of course, rogues are squishy. But with the play style that Outlaw lends itself toward, I feel that I shouldn't be near death after only 2 mobs (which has been the case, add in a third and I am dead). Now, I am not sure if I am doing something wrong - I have read all of Icy Veins tutorials and guides on rogues. But I am wondering if maybe I should switch to Assassin or Sub? do they have more control/survivability? 

And numbers aside, do you guys like them? Are they FUN?

Thanks all.

22 hours ago, Brettakiss said:

Hello all, so I am a loooong time returning rogue (TBC). So, needless to say, I know little to nothing about rogues anymore. I only leveled my rogue after each new pac, then ended up losing interest. Legion has my attention, I love it so far, and I would LOVE to start playing rogue again. I heard that outlaw was the way to go in regards to leveling, so I tried it, but the RNG kills me. I can't stand Roll the Bones. Sure, it adds "mystery", but I would rather be calculated than 'lucky'. 

However, the main problem I have with Outlaw is the survivability. Of course, rogues are squishy. But with the play style that Outlaw lends itself toward, I feel that I shouldn't be near death after only 2 mobs (which has been the case, add in a third and I am dead). Now, I am not sure if I am doing something wrong - I have read all of Icy Veins tutorials and guides on rogues. But I am wondering if maybe I should switch to Assassin or Sub? do they have more control/survivability? 

And numbers aside, do you guys like them? Are they FUN?

Thanks all.

Levelling in Legion is a MUCH different flavour than previous expansions have been. Mobs can and will kill you, fairly frequently. Outlaw has a great kit though, if you use it properly.

My advice is to level with the Iron Stomach talent, which will give you a lot more staying power in fights. Don't forget about Riposte, which if they're attacking you is a nice extra bit of damage you can deal, your stuns (Cheap Shot, Between the Eyes), Blind, and Gouge. Also Sap, if you get to pick the fight instead of them running up to you. Bribe is also kind of a neat skill, although tbh I haven't used it a whole lot.

With all of the tools at your disposal you stand very little risk of actually dying - if you're ever in a tight spot or get nervous about your chances, Vanish out and pick a different fight.

All of that said... Yeah I really, REALLY hate Roll the Bones too. 

Personally I love Sub. I've been a Sub Rogue for 11 years, and I still enjoy it. Currently it doesn't perform well enough for my liking; although it does just fine for levelling, its raid performance is low compared to what it will be at the end of the tier. It's very dominant for PvP as well (although all Rogue specs are, in general)

Haven't said this in a while, but having food or bandages while levelling is surprisingly useful again. 

I'd suggest leveling as Sub. It has superb control, mobility and you can keep on the move from mob to mob due to the passive healing of Soothing DarknessSoothing Darkness allied with Crimson VialCrimson Vial. You burn any add quickly with Strike from the ShadowsStrike from the Shadows and Marked for DeathMarked for Death.

Otl is currently the best performing spec, but god how I hate that RNG and the spam. It's giving me hand injuries lol.

Edited by lipsinch

42 minutes ago, lipsinch said:

I'd suggest leveling as Sub. It has superb control, mobility and you can keep on the move from mob to mob due to the passive healing of Soothing DarknessSoothing Darkness allied with Crimson VialCrimson Vial. You burn any add quickly with Strike from the ShadowsStrike from the Shadows and Marked for DeathMarked for Death.

Otl is currently the best performing spec, but god how I hate that RNG and the spam. It's giving me hand injuries lol.

How I feel playing Outlaw

Spam spam spam

As someone would started playing WoW again from a 4 years break, I totally understand you right now. My opinion is really different than Carrn tho.

16 hours ago, Carrn said:

Levelling in Legion is a MUCH different flavour than previous expansions have been. Mobs can and will kill you, fairly frequently. Outlaw has a great kit though, if you use it properly.

Mobs hit harder than they did in previous expac, yes, some have WAY more HPs. But this is not, a reason to think they are harder. As a rogue you can manage to kill a mob without taking a single hit. I did this lvling my rogue this expac, trying out all 3 spec and reading everything on Icy-veins too. 

As assassination. This spec is really fun to play when soloing. I played this spec from 100 to 106. Realising in instances how my DPS sucked, Barely reaching 100k DPS on bosses, with 100% uptime DOTs. Currently the weakest spec IMO. But to lvl, the spec is perfectly fine as you get to DOT everything up and go to the next target. Good Crimson vial + Leeching poison, it's really easy to stay at 90% + life rampaging everything.

As Sub, it all comes down to using Shadow Dance. I lvled from 106-108ish in this spec. In PVE, I always feel like i'm trying to DOT everything without doing any DMG. It's like a sub-par Assassination. But, on bosses, I managed to pull roughly 30% more DPS (Switching back and forth to assassination to compare with the lvl going up). But with the current horde situation on my server ( I think they out number Allies on a ratio of 10 : 1 ) Sub allowed a little more fun. More mobility, Blind ( YES YOU DON'T HAVE BLIND IN ASSASSINATION AND IT SUCKS). And the Dmg increase was nice too. Most fun I had was the part where you don't take fall dmg once you get that artefact Power up. That was amazing, specially for Stormheim and Highmountain.

But then I switched Outlaw, which is my favorite (My personnal choice but i'll tell you why). I'm lazy, I don't want to have to watch everything going on every single minute of every single debuff / buff / enemy ability. Of course Roll the bones is RNG, but most of the time I wait to get a True Bearing and Pop everything to be able to pop everything again a minute and a half later. Easier for you would just to take SnDice and just Spam Run Through the rest of the time. 

The Major difference between Sub and Outlaw atm is that you have "so many" spells to micro manage in Sub atm to compete with the Dmg you output with Outlaw that it aint worth it for me. I'm a Sinister Strike old school guy. And the tanks in instances aren't really friendly with sub rogues atm. 30% dmg increase on BS is worth it, and they just run around like retards. So far I reached 110 a week ago, not raelly saying I got it all figured out, but I'm always top DPS in the group I'm in with half an artefact wasted in 2 other spec.

N.B. Grapling hook is the best spell ever.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By OroNerVoSo
      I have an hard question , could be viable a MILL rogue with Lorewalker Cho ?
      we can full his hand , to melt his cards away  while we Shadowstep on Coldlight Oracle ?
      we can also use Vanish as a removal ...if he gets the hand full...
    • By molodirazz
      All applications will be reviewed and considered however if you are playing a class/spec combination we need then your chances of joining will be higher.
      A little bit of info about us:
      We are a group of friends and serious raiders on EU Twisting Nether looking to recruit skilled like-minded players into our roster for Mythic Legion raids and onwards. We will offer a sociable and fun raiding environment while maintaining a strong desire for progression. Our Discord is very active and we encourage all members to chat and play together not only for raids. The guild formed late March 2016 and fully cleared 13/13 Mythic Hellfire Citadel pre nerf shortly after. We've since been improving our world ranking every tier.
      We currently raid 3 days per week on Mythic: Wednesday, Sunday and Tuesday 19:15-22:15 server time. While it is not a lot we try to make the most out of our time. We run optional heroic/normal/alt/previous tier raids during off days in which raiders are welcome to come to. Our members also play other games outside raid times together where anyone is welcome to join(LoL, Dota, HotS, Overwatch etc.).
      Our loot system for Mythic is RC Loot Council.
      What we expect from you:
      - We are a raiding guild with only a 9 hour per week schedule so you are expected to attend and be ON TIME! However we understand things can come up sometimes but please let us know.
      - Be able to speak and understand the English language and not be afraid to communicate with other members during raids.
      - Actively doing dungeons/world quests to improve your gear and artifact weapon.
      - Have a strong understanding of the current raid tier and be able to play your class to it's potential.
      - Always come to raids prepared(i.e. bringing food and potions, etc).
      - Come fully gemmed and enchanted with the correct stats for your class and spec.
      - Access to Discord and a working microphone.
      - Have a computer that can handle 20 man raiding and a good, stable internet connection.
      - Exorsus Raid Tools, Weakauras2 and RC Loot Council addons installed. We may ask you to install others.

If you have any further questions please contact us at battletags: Vims#21684 Azkey#21565
      To apply please visit our guild website: http://asylum-tn.enjin.com/recruitment
      __________________________________________________________________________
      Requirements to be considered into current main raids:
      - 905~ ilvl
      - 50+ traits.
      - 8 or more mythic kills in NH.
      - Exceptions to the requirements may be made.
      _____________________________________________________________________________
      We're currently looking for the classes below but may consider other classes as well.
      Druid: Balance.
      Hunter: BM.
      Mage: Frost.
      Warlock: Affliction.
      Any and all applications will be considered.
    • By Pjam
      Hi everybody,
      i got a little problem round here. My Rogue is dealin way too less dmg. In comparsion to other rogues on warcraftlogs.com im only around the 50% bracket. Just want to get better. Any advise is welcome.
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/eu/antonidas/pjam#rankingmetric=bossdps Warcraftlogs Link from my Rouge. If you need i will search for a raid where i can log and share it.
      https://worldofwarcraft.com/de-de/character/antonidas/pjam My arsenal link

Thanks in advance.
    • By Vlad
      This thread is for comments about our Assassination Rogue PvP guide for Legion.
    • By Ithok
      If you are swedish, looking to raid 2-3 days a week, looking for a very social, fun but still competitive mythic guild, then look no further, we are the guild for you. Thank you for taking the time to learn more about us.
      About us:
      Geek Squad is a swedish guild that has been around for many years. We are currently focusing on mythic raiding and our goal is to always clear the current content before the release of the next tier. The guild is composed mainly of former hardcore raiders who can't play as much as in our younger days but who still want to play, have fun and have a good progression. Since we raid only 2 days a week we expect our raiders to have a high attendance and to be well prepared for current content. 
      Raid schedule:
      Wednesday Optional Hc clear: 19-When we are done
      Thursday: 19–22
      Sunday: 18-22
      We never extend beyond these raiding hours.
      What do we expect from you:
      - Swedish speaker; as the guild solely consists of swedish players we expect you to have a good understanding of the swedish language and be able to communicate on both voicecom and chat.
      - Attendance; as we only raid 2 days a week and keep a tight roster of raiders (not more then few on the bench at time) so being there and available even if not selected for certain boss is very important
      - Maturity; as the average age in Geek Squad is a bit above most guilds we would prefer if you are as well. We are a bunch of guys with families, jobs and real lives outside of the game and we understand all that comes with it. However if you are to commit to raiding with us we want you to be in it for the long haul. We focus on having fun with the game while also maintaining a competitive attitude, we hope you want to be a part of and contribute to that.
      - Social skills; be communicative, enjoy the game, let us know in advance if something is going to interfere with your raiding schedule so that we can plan accordingly. In our own modest opinions we have one of the best guild environments you can be a part of and we want to bring in more people who can positively contribute to that.
      - Know your class inside out and how to perform it to its maximum. Be able to take constructive criticism
      What can we offer you:
      - Stable guild; the guild has been around for a long time and we have no plans to slow down now.
      -We always try to bring the players that will give us the most chance of killing a boss on progression fights, this means you will have the same chance as everyone else of competing for a spot.
      - Experienced and motivated players; most of our raiders have played the game for a long time (vanilla/tbc) and are still highly motivated to get the most of the raiding time that we have together. If you are to join us we expect you to do everything you can to further those goals.
      - Occasional alt raids, not mandatory. Totally optional for people who want a little bit more raiding on side with their alts
      PROGRESS:
      Emerald Nightmare: 7/7
      Trial of Valor: 2/3
      Nighthold: 8/10 (10/10 HC farming on off days)
      RECRUITMENT:
      We are currently looking to extend our roster with 2-3 players and are looking for the following classes:
      Rogue
      Elemental Shaman
      Warlock
      Frost DK
      Balance Druid
      We don't have an application form as we feel that is an old and inefficient way of doing recruitment. Instead we focus on interviews as well as going through a bit of logs. We don't expect you to consistently parse in the 90% but at least showing that you know your class well.
      As for which classes we are looking for we are quite flexible at the moment as we currently have a good class balance already so we are mainly interested in you as a player rather than your class/specc. With that said we do specifically want a resto shaman and a rogue a bit more than anything else.
      If you are interested feel free to contact us.
      How to apply:
      To apply contact Ithok#2898, Krebb#2944, kebban#21852 or whisper an officer ingame.
      Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you soon!