drumsmani

n00b question about healing in LFR

Sign in to follow this  

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

My shaman is my first toon in WoW and I have only been playing for a few months now. I have about iLVL 489 equipped mainly playing as elemental. I was considering playing as resto shaman after reforging some of the stats (mainly to get more spirit/mastery from my elemental gear) until I get better Resto gear. I have a question about healing responsibilities in LFR.

I see most guides talk about healing responsibilities being assigned by the raid leader (tank / single target healing, raid healing etc.). I don't see any such communication happening (at least not in general / instance chat) during LFRs. In these cases, what is the assumed healer responsibility? Do I just try to concentrate on the people in my particular group or should I be looking out at all 25 nameplates and make split second decisions on whom to heal (and hope the other healers picked someone else)?

From my experience, its all about knowing when to pop your big heals/cd's (when the dmg is coming in).

Other than that, AoE heal, healing rain on more than 4 people who are likely to take dmg (area where the tank(s) and melee are), chain heal when there is healing to do (don't forget to chain heal your riptided player for the 25% bonus heal).

Riptide and Earth Shield kept on the tank (pick one but if you have a druid or shammy in the raid ask them which tank they are focusing on and you do the other).

Communication is always void in LFR ... not saying this should be the case but do your best to heal who needs it.

With the dmg in lfr its mainly AoE healing with some tank healing splashed in there. Excellent place to get use to healing basics but nothing quite like normal healing in 10man.

You're right that most raids usually have a system for determining who heals what & when, but LFR has none of that. Heal whoever you think needs healing. That's about it :)

Thanks for the responses. Sounds relatively easily enough to start with and at least get used to the correct usage of spells and CDs. Now, if I can grow a thick enough skin to ignore all the rage in LFR ...

Been healing LFR for a while now whilst my guild gears up to full raiding. I use a Pala, a Druid and a priest and currently levelling a Shaman as resto just to get a feel of which healer I prefer. I would have to agree with Stoove above, LFR seems pretty rough and ready as far as healing is concerned.

I would however say that you should spend about a third or half of your time/mana on the tanks. In LFR once a tank goes down it can all go Pete Tong really quickly as most LFR peeps forget how to combat rez

As for the rage, let it wash over you, as a healer you are a god and should be treated as such lol. Plus, it gets to the point where reading some of the 'angry children’s' comments can be quite comical and therefore therapeutic Posted Image

Edited by Cashmere

I would however say that you should spend about a third or half of your time/mana on the tanks. In LFR once a tank goes down it can all go Pete Tong really quickly as most LFR peeps forget how to combat rez

I tend to spend much less time on the tanks, but again it's what you feel comfortable with. I tend to route a lot of Chain Heals through the tanks :)

(also that's very small writing. Eyestrain!)

• Like 1

Do I just try to concentrate on the people in my particular group or should I be looking out at all 25 nameplates and make split second decisions on whom to heal (and hope the other healers picked someone else)?

Yeah, find a good healing addon that lets you see the HP-bars easily. Healbot, Vudu, Grid, etc. LFR is just about spamming enough, in organized raiding you will get assignments and your healers will set up rotation on cooldowns. In LFR, just spam what you got.

1) Keep ES and Riptide on the tanks.

2) Keep Healing Stream Totem up (it will be in your top 3-4 heals)

3) Cast Unleash+HR where there are group of people.

4) When you see somebody low throw Riptide on them and cast Chain Heal off it

5) Rotate your cooldowns with HTT and SLT+Ascendance.

6) Throw a Greater Healing Wave on the tank when you see them dipping.

• Like 1

As a Shaman in any 25-man setting, Unleash Elements + Healing Rain will be your bestest friend ever. And please, please, please go for high Crit rather than high Mastery.

LFR as a shaman healer especially when you really geared, will be all about healing rain and chain heal spamming. with your HST down on cd and use HTT when needed you will essentially keep the raid up without much effort. For LFR you will also have a ton of overhealing but its only LFR...

DO not fret about healing in LFR just pretty much use your best AOE heals and see the numbers fly lol.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Clementie
      Hello All,
      I need some help!  My HPS seems a bit low, and I need some advice on how to up my healing.  My role in raids is to focus on the tank/off tank  and raid heal as I can.  I've taken up this role for two reasons: I am the most consistent healer, being that I am almost always there, and two, because my BF is the main tank, and since we live together, it's easier for us to coordinate cool downs between us.
      My ilvl is currently 890, I have two legendaries, and my artifact is maxed.  I do have two other legendaries in my bags, but they are the neck putting me in my own little bubble, and the pvp ring.  Below are my current stats.
      I realize I use Regrowth more than I should, but it generally is my "OH SHIT" button.
      What can I change to up my healing and help the raid?
      Armory: Clementie
      HPS: Raid Night

• By Syanah
      Hello! I am Syanah. :) 
      Anyway onto the details. I'm at 904 equipped currently. My weapon is at 919 with two of the ones that makes Living Seed do more healing, and the one that increases mana regeneration. As of writing this I have 48 traits. My talents are Cenarion Ward, Displacer, Guardian Affinity, Typhoon, Cultivation, Germination, and Flourish. My haste is at 26%, my crit is at 17%, mastery at 11%, and (somehow even though I just kinda ignore it) versatility at 12%. 
      Ok. My rotation for large amounts of burst is normally wild growth, swiftmend the lowest, cenarion ward on the next lowest, then throwing rejuvs as much as i can before florishing.
      My tank rotation is just keep as many hots on them as i can, use Ironbark when it's off and when they need it a lot, and keep Cenarion on the tank taking the most damage.
      For large damage on people i immediately hit Ironbark, regrowth to stabilise if it's very bad, then other hots to get a better Swiftmend. 
      For my mana issues I first like to use what I call "manaburst". It's pretty much just a macro binding Innervate and Essence of G'hanir to work together. I also have Leytorrent potions. 
      For legendaries I currently use Essence of Infusion and Velen's Future Sight. I have The Dark Titans Advice, Pyrdaz, and X'oni's Caress. Trinkets I have Ephemeral Paradox, Etraeus' Celestial Map, and the Flask of Solemn night. I use Solemn night and Velen's.  I have my four piece in the form of cape, head, pants, and shoulders. 
      Soooo.. pretty much it'd seem like I'd be doing ok but honestly I feel like I don't do enough. (These aren't 100% accurate numbers, so be warned.) I usually seem to be around 400-600k, but it drops to mostly 200-400k at the end of fights. I raid in a heroic guild, so it's a little less important that I be the very elite of the elite, but still. There's 3 healers in all. Myself, another Resto, and a Holy priest. We have another healer, a resto shaman, who doesn't heal all that much anymore but still. Pretty much I'm always behind them the holy and the other resto. (They are really good though, so /shrug)
      Anyway I'm going to post my armory, and warcraftlogs. (I have no idea how to use logs so... here goes!) 
      Armory: 
      https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/nordrassil/syanah
      annnd hoping it worrrrks
      Log I think if this works:
       https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/13553554/11#difficulty=4&class=Druid&spec=Restoration&metric=hps&bracket=21

I think I got it to show my healing from on of our runs... I think. 
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/xfKndz9P2hgHLbV3#fight=7&type=healing
      This is the most recent I can find. 
      So basically I just wanna know from some other restos how it looks, how to improve, and what I should look to do. Been worried that my healing isn't up to par with what a 904 should be so that's what mostly made me post this and because I wanna be the best i can be for my guild and our progression for Tomb. :)
      (Also I apologize if I this wrong. I have no idea what I'm doing.)
    • By SoloMD
      <Raging Time> of US Mal'Ganis is recruiting exceptional raiders for our mythic Nighthold roster. We are a very serious adult guild(18+) with a stellar team and take raiding extremely serious.
      Current Progression:
      7/7M Emerald Nightmare & 2/3M Trials of Valor 7/10M Nighthold
      Raid Times:
      Monday/Wednesday/Thursday 8:00pm-12:00am Server Time. (9:00pm-1:00am EST)
      Recruitment Needs:
      Currently Recruiting all talented DPS with Mythic NH experience and a Holy Paladin!

Priority:
      All DPS - High
      Holy Pally - High

Considering all DPS classes for spots!
      All other classes we are still taking into consideration!! So please don't think if your class is not above we don't want/need you!
      Requirements & What we expect:
      902 Minimum ilvl.
      42+ Artifact Trait Lgvel.
      BIS Optimized Gear.
      Discord
      RCLootCouncil.
      Full knowledge of your specialization inside and out.
      Knowledge of Nighthold and its Bosses.
      No drama.
      Ability to take responsibility for your mistakes.
      During your trial if you miss we will not take you into consideration
      Of course a sense of humor!
      Ability to make 90% of our 12 raids per month.
      Who are we:
      Raging Time was established in early February of 2016 in hopes of restoring the old raiding/guild atmosphere. We are a very loving and fun guild but raiding is extremely important to us.
      Trials/Applications:
      In order to get in contact with us about applying there will be two steps you will have to take. One being add the GM or add one of the following Officers in order to apply/ talk to us in obtaining a raid spot. Due to all of us being on at different times please add in the following order if you would like to get in contact as soon as possible, and one of us will get back to you as soon as possible. Once you add one of us on Real ID you are to do the following.
      Send one of us a battle net message of the following:
          Your current Item level
          Your current artifact trait level
          A link to your current armory
          A link to your logs if you have any(recommended not required)
          As well as how you found us whether it be from Mal Ganis forums, wowprogress, in game, or another source.

1.Orcbilagio(GM) - Orcbely#1393
      2. Magicloner- subtLe#1706 (Recruitment Officer)
      3. SoloMD (Officer) - Instakill#1696
      4. Psyxz(MDPS Officer) - Psyx#1649
      If you are interested in us please have no hesitation to apply and we look forward to possibly having you. Thank you!
    • By icednixes
      Just trying to see why im doing slow low of heals. I come last in the raid, shaman and priest coming ahead of me and most fights im barely able to push and hold 300K in heals. on the rare chance i push higher but only on the short fights. Any help would be nice so i dont feel like im letting down my raid. 
      Here is my amory link http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/bloodhoof/Kibea/simple
      A few logs between, EN and Nighthold
      http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-pnun1au1sxae5o8z/sum/healingDone/
      http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-hrty4cvhe1h5ba18/sum/healingDone/
      http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-axscgxqmashw3pph/sum/healingDone/

The rotation im using is
      Tanks: ironbark+ward+life+rejv or regrowth
      raid: Wild+ essence or flourish
      high dmg: inn+tree+trang+Wild+ essence or flourish
      with efflorescence being put down when ever its up. 
    • By Stormravyn
      Hey guys, need a hand here please. I have healed off and on for years with one or the other of several Resto Druids I have. I also frequently (prior to Legion) heal with a Disc Priest (until Legion, now she is parked), a Mistweaver Monk (not 110 yet) and a couple of Resto Shamans (also not 110 yet).
      I am a really good but not exceptional healer, though I am the strongest healer in the guild atm on most fights, not all. I am disabled, so I can't spend as much time online as I would like, so any help would be much appreciated.
      My question is this: I use askmrrobot.com, icy veins and in game I also use Pawn. ALL of them disagree on stat weights and it is confusing me to tears! I was stacking mastery, now ask mr robot says crit > mastery on raid healing: auto. Mastery > Crit on raid healing: max heal. Crit > Mastery on Raid healing: Spread healing. And of course it all changes again for Mythic+. As my time online is VERY limited, I have very little gold and cannot afford to even buy a lot of the high end enchants and gems, etc, let alone change everything around repeatedly. Pawn shows one thing to be an upgrade, but even with the new 7.1.5 patch, askmrrobot will make me leave an 865 trinket with a great bonus on it in my bags in favor of an 835 trinket just because it has a socket and matches THEIR stat weights. Then I come here, which I used to use exclusively and they say, and I quote,
      1.1. Raid Healing
      Intellect; Haste; Critical Strike; Mastery; Versatility. 1.2. Tank / Mythic+ Healing
      Intellect; Haste; Mastery; Critical Strike; Versatility.  
      So my question is this, and I will follow with my current armory and healing style. WHAT stat weights do I go for and since I really truly SUCK at math and have NO clue how to change stat weights in Pawn or askmrrobot either one, can someone walk me through how to and what they should read to reflect the proper weights, so I can trust them and they agree please? I am 50 years old and this sim stuff is tough for me; I'm sorry. It's confusing for a beginner to sims and stat weights and I don't understand it or how to get the numbers I want it to reflect or what they should even be. Or how to make conversions... I am lost. My guild is small and we are STILL struggling with Heroic EN; can't get past Ursoc atm; he's a real bear... pun intended.  and Nighthold is a mess. Skorpyron is still kicking our butts there, and Helya in ToV... all on normal except for EN. I want to raid, I want to progress, and I want to improve my healing. It likely won't happen in this guild, not because we are bad, but because we do not have dedicated raiders every week. We end up pulling in far too many pugs, have a ridiculously long wipe recovery (stupid long, like 15 friggin' minutes each wipe) and it is just too casual to progress far, but some of us would like to and I want to do my part as well as be able to perhaps join some premade's and be a viable pick. Unless I do, my gear will not get better, as I have run EN normal a hundred times it seems, and there are no upgrades there.
      I do not typically heal Mythic+'s anymore, because it seems MOST of the pugs I get into are horribad and I can't heal when interrupts don't happen, focusing down the right mobs first does not happen, positioning does not happen and no one seems to know the strats. Sometimes it is just a BAD tank. I do not have confidence in my heals because of some awful runs, and so I just don't go. We have an awesome Pally tank I trust to tank them, but he is seldom on and the guild really doesn't run much of anything together. So I have no set group to run with that I trust.
      Atm my healing style is to always keep up two rejuvs on both tanks as well as lifebloom on the one currently taking threat and most damage, as well as Efflorescence of course, all while blanketing the raid with HoTs, Wild Growth and Flourish/artifact weapon talent. I also, of course, hit a tank taking or preparing to take, a lot of damage with Cenarion Ward and Ironbark. I really hate raid healing and much prefer tank healing, but I heal what needs to be healed while focusing as much as I can on tanks. I can't tell you our raid make-up as we have no set group; too much pugging. I will say that we usually always have two Resto Druids, and a Disc Priest, and sometimes we have our Shaman switch to heals or our Holy Paladin will make a rare appearance, or our Paladin tank will switch to heals. That is our base makeup, subject to no shows and pugs of course. 
      Here is my armory; please be gentle lol.  http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/ghostlands/Scamper/simple
      I realize I have a lot of gems and enchants I need, and will start working on that as gold allows, and when I know WHAT to get! I will mention that I talked to a Resto Druid friend of mine from another server, Tsoula, who heals mythic raids and he said to pretty much balance haste crit and mastery as much as possible without worrying too much until I can get the cloak of shame from Kara, and the two set bonus, all of which require high crit, and then switch to stacking crit. Is he right?
      I apologize for the length of this post and welsome all feedback, but please be kind. I run into enough unkind people in game. Thanks <3