L0rinda

Saronite Chain Gang Reveal: Knights of the Frozen Throne

14 posts in this topic

EEyzyzO.jpg

Saronite Chain Gang is the latest card reveal, bringing the total revealed up to ninety-two.

The card was revealed by DreamHack Valencia 2016 winner and popular Spanish streamer, Evangelion, in English.

In the video, Evangelion covers the potential uses of the card, and compares it to established cards.

dragndrop.jpg

(Image: Hearthpwn)

The main other use that is not mentioned is the potential synergy with Evolve. That aside, it seems like this will be a good card for any class to put in the way of Pirate decks, as it is usually the swing with the weapons late game that do the final damage, and the size of the Taunt in the way is not alaways important, just that there is something there.

For a full list of previously revealed cards, as well as all of the information about the new expansion, check out our Knights of the Frozen Throne expansion hub.

I can see this being used in constructed for sure as Quest Warrior would love to have a good 4 mana card and if I'm not mistaken this card counts as two for the quest. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Are they still trying to make handbuff decks viable?

Just now, KingMe said:

I can see this being used in constructed for sure as Quest Warrior would love to have a good 4 mana card and if I'm not mistaken this card counts as two for the quest. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

You are wrong.  Warrior quest is play not summon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Strongpoint said:

You are wrong.  Warrior quest is play not summon.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I'm up past my bedtime and I couldn't remember if it was "Play" or "Summon" so mistakes were made. :) 

2 minutes ago, Strongpoint said:

Are they still trying to make handbuff decks viable?

It would appear so. 

3 hours ago, Keizoku said:

Another good anti-aggro tech card at the very least.

Here's praying that we'll have a nice slow meta that I can play all my big minion decks in :D

I don't get why people want such a slow meta, why would you want to make games about twenty minues long...especially after rank 5 when there are no more win streaks. imagine the amount of games needed to play to get to legend.

15 minutes ago, Dustintime said:

I don't get why people want such a slow meta, why would you want to make games about twenty minues long...especially after rank 5 when there are no more win streaks. imagine the amount of games needed to play to get to legend.

I don't know either. Any hype I could bring myself to gather for the exention pretty much got squashed immediately when they revealed Lifelink, sorry, LifeSTEAL (Helllooo, M:tG!). It won't go completely out ouf hand since you're limited to 30HP, but still...

I perfectly understand people getting sick of facing Pirate Warrior/Aggro Druid (Hell, I was sick of playing Pirate Warrior the second month), but I really doubt a control meta is what people want. Streamers love it, because they can pull off crazy comboes and stunts; but Joe Random the Average Player doesn't have the time to play control mirrors in order to get his daily quest done.

I agree, even with a aggro / mid range hunter i play, if the games goes past ten rounds and evne if im probably going to win, chances are i concede anyways ust because i can play three games in the time it'd take to finish that one.

1 hour ago, Dustintime said:

I'm a massive fan of slow decks and my collection reflects that heavily. I hate playing aggro decks. All those Highlander/Reno/Kazakus decks, N'zoth variations, etc.

I hit 500 wins on Warrior a while ago with only playing Dragon/Control Warrior. I just prefer longer games!

7 hours ago, Blainie said:

I'm a massive fan of slow decks and my collection reflects that heavily. I hate playing aggro decks. All those Highlander/Reno/Kazakus decks, N'zoth variations, etc.

I hit 500 wins on Warrior a while ago with only playing Dragon/Control Warrior. I just prefer longer games!

This.  I don't even have all the cards to play aggro druid or pirate warrior XD. I love control mirrors.  They are much more enjoyable and engaging to me.  It just feels like in an aggro match only one player is doing something and that is just boring to me.  OH player A has the tempo, player A will continue to dictate the game until Player B loses. . . Fun.  Interactive.  Enjoyable.  If you are player A.  Sure the games are faster, but I like quality over quantity.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, VaraTreledees said:

Sure the games are faster, but I like quality over quantity.  

Everyone does. There's nothing more enjoyable than a hard-won, close-fought game. I have said it before, I'll say it again, an aggro meta is boring as fuck. And it's not new. I can perfectly well remember's M:tG's Karate Burn deck back when Visions came out twenty years ago. Lightning Bolt into Incinerate into Ball Lightning into whatever other burn you had drawn and finishing it off by sacrificing your lands to cast 1-2 Fireblasts. Turn 4 win. It was stupid. It was so ridiculously straightforward that it was pretty much an autopilot deck, utterly predictable with little variance unless sideboards came into play. It was boring to play with and against.

And yet it was one of the most played deck anywhere you looked. It was cheap enough, it was dumb enough that a kid of 6 could play it, games were fast; and you still could find a bit of depth of play once you started going best of three/best of five and using your sideboard to tech/counter-tech while remaining decently fast games. Twenty years later, "Red Deck wins" is still one of the major M:tG archetypes.

For the problem is time. It was time back then and it is still time now. Back to Hearthstone: John Doe, after coming home from work, dealing with the kids and the daily chores at home boots up the PC to do his daily quest. Win 5 games, so, play around 10 games (assuming he isn't a total scrub). If the majority of games are control match-ups, that's over 3 hours of playing... Yeah, nah, let's watch a series before going to bed instead. And that's how you lose players. For its flaws (and it is deeply flawed, I'm the first to admit it), an aggro meta and no-brainer decks like aforementioned Burn in M:tG keeps the casual base playing. An half-hour to an hour each day to get a pack/arena run every other day is doable and enjoyable for John Doe. Quadruple that, and they'll start going to look elsewhere.

Edited by Keizoku
  • Like 1

Besides all the aggro vs control discussion going on here (btw. it really seems like Knights of the Frozen Throne might give Aggro-Decks a hard time), I hope that Saronite Chain Gang + Thrall Deathknight + stuff like Master of Evolution , will enable a more control-oriented Evolve-Shaman-Deck. I played something like this when Whispers of the Old Gods came out, but it was never very good...turning my board into higher costed, but still worse minions...but it was a lot of fun! So...looking forward to something like this (at least if I can get my hands on the Shaman-Deathknight).

4 hours ago, Taan said:

Besides all the aggro vs control discussion going on here (btw. it really seems like Knights of the Frozen Throne might give Aggro-Decks a hard time), I hope that Saronite Chain Gang + Thrall Deathknight + stuff like Master of Evolution , will enable a more control-oriented Evolve-Shaman-Deck. I played something like this when Whispers of the Old Gods came out, but it was never very good...turning my board into higher costed, but still worse minions...but it was a lot of fun! So...looking forward to something like this (at least if I can get my hands on the Shaman-Deathknight).

Definitely might work this expansion - especially with some of the control-style freeze spells.