FORUMS
Damien

Meteor Wizard

19 hours ago, Guest Neel90 said:

That's interesting as I was looking at US leaderboards. Thanks for the info!

No problem. Both DMO Orb and Firebird's are super viable at the moment, you can basically pick whichever you want to play :)

Sorry for my usual ignorance here - If you're in a Group with the Tal's Build, what should you replace Unity with since you are already wearing Convention?

And since you're using Storm Armor rather than Ice, why would you need a Arlyse.  Halo of Karini instead?

Edited by albabe

1 hour ago, Zeppelin said:

Meteor Wizard Tal Rasha Variation

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/meteor-wizard-tal-rasha-variation

It seems like you would also want to change 'Halo of Arlyse' to 'Halo of Karini' in Kanai's cube (since you are going with Storm Armor.)

Thanx - Right - that's what I was talking  about.  Maybe Mr. Deadset should change the "4. Adapting Kanai's Cube," part of the guide, shouldn't he?

But since his guide says to Wear Convention, so what should you replace Unity with, since you are already wearing Convention??

9 hours ago, albabe said:

Thanx - Right - that's what I was talking  about.  Maybe Mr. Deadset should change the "4. Adapting Kanai's Cube," part of the guide, shouldn't he?

But since his guide says to Wear Convention, so what should you replace Unity with, since you are already wearing Convention??

I'm not sure, maybe 'Obsidian ring of the Zodiac'

However, have you ever noticed in his guides he has stat priorities for 'Obsidian ring of the Zodiac' as:

1. Socket
  2. Cooldown Reduction
  3. Critical Hit Damage
  4. Critical Hit Chance
  5. Attack Speed

have you ever once seen an 'Obsidian ring of the Zodiac' come with a socket or crit-damage?

(I guess it must be a dream ring.)

Edited by Zeppelin

22 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

Meteor Wizard Tal Rasha Variation

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/meteor-wizard-tal-rasha-variation

It seems like you would also want to change 'Halo of Arlyse' to 'Halo of Karini' in Kanai's cube (since you are going with Storm Armor.)

Thanks for pointing this out! The cube section will be updated soon.

20 hours ago, albabe said:

You can run Stone of Jordan for group play. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

(I guess it must be a dream ring.)

It doesn't exist, it's just a general formula for all rings in that slot. You'll always have the same 4 stats on ORotZ (AS/CDR/CHC/RCR), and you just roll away your least desired to a socket.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blainie said:

You can run Stone of Jordan for group play. 

Thanx Blainie.  The Tal version is a real tank, I assume because the Halo of Karini offers more Protection.

Just curious:  I assume that since Karini offers so much protection, that a ring that has more Damage would be the one to wear(?)  So does the "Stone of Jordan" offer more damage than the "Obsidian ring of the Zodiac?"

25 minutes ago, albabe said:

Thanx Blainie.  The Tal version is a real tank, I assume because the Halo of Karini offers more Protection.

Just curious:  I assume that since Karini offers so much protection, that a ring that has more Damage would be the one to wear(?)  So does the "Stone of Jordan" offer more damage than the "Obsidian ring of the Zodiac?"

The thing is, there's no reason to run ORoTZ - you have no major CD spell that needs reducing, such as Archon. The effect is basically wasted in this build. 

2 hours ago, Blainie said:

The thing is, there's no reason to run ORoTZ - you have no major CD spell that needs reducing, such as Archon. The effect is basically wasted in this build. 

Show's what I know... sigh.

10 hours ago, Blainie said:

It doesn't exist, it's just a general formula for all rings in that slot. You'll always have the same 4 stats on ORotZ (AS/CDR/CHC/RCR), and you just roll away your least desired to a socket.

Yes, I just don't know why he has crit-damage even listed because it will never occur in the game unless you find an ORotZ with a socket already (which I have never-ever seen.)

You could roll crit-damage in if you don't want a socket, I guess.

10 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

Yes, I just don't know why he has crit-damage even listed because it will never occur in the game unless you find an ORotZ with a socket already (which I have never-ever seen.)

You could roll crit-damage in if you don't want a socket, I guess.

A socket-rolled one doesn't exist. It never, ever rolls anything other than the 4 stats I listed. We put CHD there simply because it's a copied priority from the first ring that still applies to the OROTZ - you'll just follow the priority and keep the 3 highest ranking stats, rolling away the last one depending on personal preference. It leaves less room for error when we make a swap with the ring, since it's a specific priority only for OROTZ - missing an update on it can cause someone to ruin another ring, if they decide to try and make a replacement in the build.

Guest Ashnar

Hi, i'm using this build in the Tal Rasha variation and i was wondering... 

1) Is the firebird variation any better? If so why? What's the real difference in d'amare output and toughness?

2) Either i haven't enough cost reduction or i'm playing it wrong, cause my arcane power is often under the 90% required to keep up the 50% dmg reduction from the cubed aquila cuirass. Not much lower, it's about at 75/80% most of the times when i hit big density, even thou i'm not spamming meteor too often (i think¿?). 'till i sole this problem, do you think it could be wide to cube some nilfur boot, wear tal rasha and swap the royal grandeur ring for some more usefull ring/amulet (convention of elements for example, to get massive damage output on fire bonus?). 

Sorry for my english but i'm Italian, i hope you understand everything.

Guest Ashnar

Sorry, i just realized there are no tal rasha boots. Been playing barb and crusader for ages and that's my first mage. Then my question becomes: what should i do in my situation? 

On 12/1/2017 at 11:01 AM, Guest Ashnar said:

1) Is the firebird variation any better? If so why? What's the real difference in d'amare output and toughness?

Yes, it is. It has higher output, it's easier to play, you have the double cheat death (something that really comes in handy at 100+). 

On 12/1/2017 at 11:01 AM, Guest Ashnar said:

2) Either i haven't enough cost reduction or i'm playing it wrong, cause my arcane power is often under the 90% required to keep up the 50% dmg reduction from the cubed aquila cuirass. Not much lower, it's about at 75/80% most of the times when i hit big density, even thou i'm not spamming meteor too often (i think¿?). 'till i sole this problem, do you think it could be wide to cube some nilfur boot, wear tal rasha and swap the royal grandeur ring for some more usefull ring/amulet (convention of elements for example, to get massive damage output on fire bonus?). 

A large amount of this build is just kiting. You spend a huge amount of time kiting mobs while your Meteors fall, only using your channeled spells to maintain buffs. Don't waste your time trying to kill a small pack. Stack them up, then drop your meteor and buff it. As you start to kite again, you'll regain resource.

The Tal Rasha variant is far more effective, at least with mostly non-ancient gear. I tried the Firebird version for awhile and found myself constantly running away from things so a single projectile wouldn't instantly kill me, which makes it really hard to stack Taeguk and channeling boosts. It's manageable in dungeons with lots of narrow hallways (you can just keep incinerating the crap out of the farthest edge of the screen as you slowly move forward), but that makes it too slow to finish GRs higher than 65 (and even then you are very likely to die randomly, since you don't have time to back off and wait for the Firebird life insurance policy to refresh).

A question / suggestion on the Tal'Rasha Meteor build:

Most builds I see use either Arcane Torrent + Frost Nova or Arcane Torrent + Ray of Frost.

I'm using Ray of Frost - Cold Blood + Shock Pulse - Living Lightning (any rune should do here).

Since I only use minimal AP for Ray of Frost and no AP for Shock Pulse I have a near 100 % uptime on Aquila Cuirass. I don't see any benefit in using either Frost Nova (since the setup does not use Halo of Arlyse) or a second channel (Arcane Torrent).

Am I missing something?

Guest The Don

I having been running this build with one change: storm armor and the halo ring that gives you 60% mitigation.  It's huge and much better than the ice armor.  I couldn't get past GR80 with ice armor, I changed my set-up and I smoked it with 5 min remaining and only 1 death.  Between the 60 % from that and 50% from unity, I'm not longer a glass cannon.  The difference is night and day.  I suggest you changed the build just slightly! 

Great guide! 

On 12/2/2017 at 12:51 AM, Zeppelin said:

I think the guide says to use 'Nilfurs Boast.'

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/meteor-wizard-tal-rasha-variation#sec-3

Yeah, i know, and i'm doing so. My point was that i can barely keep my aquila cuirass bonus on, so i was asking if it could be wise to swap those with tal rasha boots, in order to get rid of the royal grandeur ring and cube something more usefull. Only after trying it i realized there aren't tal rasha boots... they don't exist at all, so i obviously can't do it.

Anyway, about the differences between the Firebird and Tal's variations, it seems to me that the only way to effectivly play Firebird's variation is to ignite an elite and drag it around the map, searching other elites to kill, always keeping one ignited to have the bonuses on. I tried this, but it's not really my style, i can't keep them alive, plus they slow me down A LOT.
I clear GR 85 with Tal's variation, no augmented gear, only 700 paragon in S12, and takes me less than 6 minutes. Cleared an 80 with Firebird in about 13 min. I don't really see the advantage.
For the output, when i play my Tal's real good i deal about 450billions per meteor. any trash just dies, elites take like 4 hits, wardens at GR85 last less than 15 seconds. I'm not pushing any higher only because i die too often and any respawn at some point adds 30 seconds to the clock. Damage-wise i feel i could easily kill at GR100, but wouldn't survive single trash mobs hits...
I'll augment my gear, farm those paragons and let you guys know. But as far as i'm concerned, Firebird's variation is way slower and requires too much effort.

On 12/9/2017 at 1:39 PM, Urzeitmensch said:

A question / suggestion on the Tal'Rasha Meteor build:

Most builds I see use either Arcane Torrent + Frost Nova or Arcane Torrent + Ray of Frost.

I'm using Ray of Frost - Cold Blood + Shock Pulse - Living Lightning (any rune should do here).

Since I only use minimal AP for Ray of Frost and no AP for Shock Pulse I have a near 100 % uptime on Aquila Cuirass. I don't see any benefit in using either Frost Nova (since the setup does not use Halo of Arlyse) or a second channel (Arcane Torrent).

Am I missing something?

I use arcane torrent and the frost nova with "bone chill" rune. It makes me deal additional 33% damage to frozen enemies.
I often teleport in a group of elites, start channeling my meteors and cast novas as needed. Really does a great job.
Your setup works to keep the Tal's bonus up, but i wouldn't really give up on that 33% bonus damage. It makes elites go down in the blink of an eye.

Edited by Ashnar
typo

18 minutes ago, Ashnar said:

I use arcane torrent and the frost nova with "bone chill" rune. It makes me deal additional 33% damage to frozen enemies.
I often teleport in a group of elites, start channeling my meteors and cast novas as needed. Really does a great job.
Your setup works to keep the Tal's bonus up, but i wouldn't really give up on that 33% bonus damage. It makes elites go down in the blink of an eye.

Ah, I see.

What I don't understand: Bone Chill shouldn't proc the Tal Rasha bonus, since it is no "damaging skill". I thought that's why the guide suggests Frozen Mist. Do you proc it with another skill?