FORUMS
Damien

Meteor Wizard

Yeah, I tried using Halo of Arlyse for this, but it leaves you far too weak to ranged attacks. And given that this is a channeling build, you can't afford to be dodging fireballs all the time.

23 hours ago, Urzeitmensch said:

Ah, I see.

What I don't understand: Bone Chill shouldn't proc the Tal Rasha bonus, since it is no "damaging skill". I thought that's why the guide suggests Frozen Mist. Do you proc it with another skill?

That's my skill setup:
1) Storm Armor with Power of the Storm Rune

2) Frost Nova with Bone Chill Mist Rune

3) Teleport with Calamity rune (Arcane damage)

4) Arcane Torrent with Flame Ward rune (Fire damage)

LMB) Meteor with Comet rune (Cold damage)

RMB) Electrocute with Surge of Power Rune (Lightning damage)

Differently from the guide, i don't use fire damage as my main damage nor the Magic Weapon skill with Deflection rune. And, obviously, i roll Cold damage on my bracers/amulets.

I know i give up to a constant 10% damage buff and a shield that absorbs 4% of my life in damage.
But with Frost Nova-Bone Chill i get a 33% damage buff, that's a 23% increase over the Magic Weapon skill.
And i use the Flame Ward rune on  Arcane Torrent, which provides a substantial 25% damage reduction while channeling.
Also, the Electrocute-Surge of Power grants Arcane Power. Magic Weapon doesn't.

Maybe that's not the most efficient way, it's just my variation. With the guide the playing was easier, didn't need to teleport in the middle of the fight to get a damage buff from frost novas and channel to get damage reduction, i could just channel from the distance, but i find my way is more damage effective, allows me very fast clears.

EDIT:
I know that, on paper, the fire meteor deals more damage (7x277%) but those 7 meteors won't directly hit your target, but all the area around it. The Comet has a standard 740% damage plus 235% over 3 sec. It's less "aoe" but still has a nice impact radius covering multiple targets aswell. I've made some simulations, test runs on both variations, and checked the math. on my current setup, my average damage with the fire variation in this guid is about 633billions (critical) while on the cold variation it rises up to 787billions.
Plus, as if it wasn't enough, i'm experimenting with removing aquila cuirass (since as i've been saying, doesn't stay up on my variation) and put some Frostburn gloves to skyrocket that damage to about 920billions and lose "only" about 3% total damage reduction (but an occasional 3%...)

Edited by Ashnar
Clarification on the Meteor skill/rune

On 12.12.2017 at 11:38 AM, Ashnar said:

That's my skill setup:
1) Storm Armor with Power of the Storm Rune

2) Frost Nova with Bone Chill Mist Rune

3) Teleport with Calamity rune (Arcane damage)

4) Arcane Torrent with Flame Ward rune (Fire damage)

LMB) Meteor with Comet rune (Cold damage)

RMB) Electrocute with Surge of Power Rune (Lightning damage)

Differently from the guide, i don't use fire damage as my main damage nor the Magic Weapon skill with Deflection rune. And, obviously, i roll Cold damage on my bracers/amulets.

I know i give up to a constant 10% damage buff and a shield that absorbs 4% of my life in damage.
But with Frost Nova-Bone Chill i get a 33% damage buff, that's a 23% increase over the Magic Weapon skill.
And i use the Flame Ward rune on  Arcane Torrent, which provides a substantial 25% damage reduction while channeling.
Also, the Electrocute-Surge of Power grants Arcane Power. Magic Weapon doesn't.

Maybe that's not the most efficient way, it's just my variation. With the guide the playing was easier, didn't need to teleport in the middle of the fight to get a damage buff from frost novas and channel to get damage reduction, i could just channel from the distance, but i find my way is more damage effective, allows me very fast clears.

EDIT:
I know that, on paper, the fire meteor deals more damage (7x277%) but those 7 meteors won't directly hit your target, but all the area around it. The Comet has a standard 740% damage plus 235% over 3 sec. It's less "aoe" but still has a nice impact radius covering multiple targets aswell. I've made some simulations, test runs on both variations, and checked the math. on my current setup, my average damage with the fire variation in this guid is about 633billions (critical) while on the cold variation it rises up to 787billions.
Plus, as if it wasn't enough, i'm experimenting with removing aquila cuirass (since as i've been saying, doesn't stay up on my variation) and put some Frostburn gloves to skyrocket that damage to about 920billions and lose "only" about 3% total damage reduction (but an occasional 3%...)

That's an awesome setup, actually. Thought about experimenting with the other Meteoer runes, too. Sadly, I killed my HC Tal Rasha wizard some days ago wich not only leaves me tilted but also without most of my Tal Rasha gear and my Lvl 75 gems ...

Could you clarify, why the removal of Aquila Cuirass would only  decrease damage reduction by 3 % ?

1 hour ago, Urzeitmensch said:

That's an awesome setup, actually. Thought about experimenting with the other Meteoer runes, too. Sadly, I killed my HC Tal Rasha wizard some days ago wich not only leaves me tilted but also without most of my Tal Rasha gear and my Lvl 75 gems ...

Could you clarify, why the removal of Aquila Cuirass would only  decrease damage reduction by 3 % ?

I don't really know the math behind it, gotta be honest.
With my skill/gear i got:

• 25% reduction while channeling arcane torrent
  • 50% from unity ring
  • 80% from karinni ring
  • 17% from blur passive and another
  • 25% from the mantle of channeling, while channeling

Awesome synergy here between arcane torrent-flame ward rune and the mantle of channeling. That would be a total of 197% damage reduction, but my d3 planner says i got about 95,33% damage reduction. With aquila cuirass 50% reduction it should jump to a 247% damage reduction, while it actually "only" goes to 97,67%.

IF d3planner maths are right, i'm losing only a 2,33% damage reduction. But as i've said, since i can't keep the the aquila cuirass up it's an occasional reduction.

If you're wondering, without the flame ward rune but with aquila cuirass and the standard fire variation, the total reduction would be about 222% but it's 96,89% on d3planner, which means i lose about 1,5% reduction from the above guide.

Yet, if anyone wants to boost fire damage and can't really keep aquila cuirass procd they could fit Magefist in the cube for an additional 20% damage. Pouldrons of the Skeleton's King my provide an additional cheat-death feature for those who struggle with toughness (or HC players). It really depends on what one plays and how he plays it.

Edited by Ashnar

Also, i could switch frost nova-bone chill for wave of force-impactful wave and wear strogarm bracers.
It has less than half the cooldown, and still provides a 20-30% increased damage to monsters. The negative side is it costs 25arcane power...

On 13/12/2017 at 7:22 PM, Ashnar said:

Yet, if anyone wants to boost fire damage and can't really keep aquila cuirass procd they could fit Magefist in the cube for an additional 20% damage. Pouldrons of the Skeleton's King my provide an additional cheat-death feature for those who struggle with toughness (or HC players). It really depends on what one plays and how he plays it.

What is it that's causing the problem with Aquila? I can comfortably channel my AT and never drop below losing 1-2 Arcane Power. I've never gotten close to going below 90% unless I've been spamming Meteor.

I'm building the Tal Rasha version... and have been for a while.  Finding a good Nilfur's Boast is a pain... Ancient even harder.  I assume that the Secondary Stat is more important than anything else?  So a crappy regular Nilfur's Boast with 900% is much better than the best-Stats Ancient that has 675%?

On 1/23/2018 at 6:12 AM, albabe said:

I'm building the Tal Rasha version... and have been for a while.  Finding a good Nilfur's Boast is a pain... Ancient even harder.  I assume that the Secondary Stat is more important than anything else?  So a crappy regular Nilfur's Boast with 900% is much better than the best-Stats Ancient that has 675%?

...or...

On 1/23/2018 at 3:12 PM, albabe said:

Depends on how crappy we're talking, and the team you're playing in, but generally, yes.

8 hours ago, positiv2 said:

Depends on how crappy we're talking, and the team you're playing in, but generally, yes.

Thanx.

Seems pretty dang quiet around here these days.  I guess D3 is finally pretty darn dead.

17 hours ago, albabe said:

Seems pretty dang quiet around here these days.  I guess D3 is finally pretty darn dead.

Nah, it's always been the same. End of season it's always dead and this place explode once every 3rd months for about 2-3 weeks then it goes down :)

• Like 1

I notice there's been  few patch adjustments on 2.6.1, and nothing on the PS4 Patch.  There's lots of little problems with the 2.6.1 variant the PS4 and obviously Blizz doesn't care enough to fit 'em.

Guest sigh
On 2/11/2018 at 3:48 PM, albabe said:

I notice there's been  few patch adjustments on 2.6.1, and nothing on the PS4 Patch.  There's lots of little problems with the 2.6.1 variant the PS4 and obviously Blizz doesn't care enough to fit 'em.

I heard they were only related to in-game communications, that's what they said about ptr for s13.

Activision doesn't give a damn about d3 I guess. If necro brought some revenue they might create one more character known from d2, like druid or assasin, I bet on dru who will become top sup and meta will be nec, nec, dru, dru, and that will be the final hit for this game.

No changes to meta for s13 will probably reduce the playerbase by a lot, so I am wondering if s14 is even gonna happen. Then d4 will probably be like sacred 3 because greed and *puff* franchise dead.

Forgot to ask: how did this build perform in s12 compared to other wizard builds?

Guest you are correct
On 12/11/2017 at 11:47 AM, Urzeitmensch said:

What I don't understand: Bone Chill shouldn't proc the Tal Rasha bonus, since it is no "damaging skill". I thought that's why the guide suggests Frozen Mist. Do you proc it with another skill?

That is correct.
Bone Chill doesn't proc Tal Rasha's bonus, the only Frost Nova's rune that triggers it is the Frozen Mist, as it is the only one dealing damage.

So yes, if you go with Firebird's variant it doesn't matter which rune you take, but if you go with Tal Rasha and take the Bone Chill rune you won't get the set bonus for frost damage.

On 2018-02-16 at 6:12 PM, Guest sigh said:

I bet on dru who will become top sup and meta will be nec, nec, dru, dru

Why would there be 2 necro? They are crap on AoE dmg which is why you have the Wizard for that role.

If you want, there is however the Necro support which boosts the Skeletal Mages build considerable and making a full group on necro viable. Even if druid becomes a great support (which noting really indicates on), there are multiple ways to support and it's why the meta is monk+barb because they fill different supporting roles for the group.

So perhaps Nec+Wiz+Dru+Monk/Barb at the most.

On 2/16/2018 at 9:12 AM, Guest sigh said:

I heard they were only related to in-game communications, that's what they said about ptr for s13.

There are lots more problems than that.  Weird artifacts of Monsters after you murder them, they stretch-out and look like Taffy.

And things like when a monster kills you, the Nemesis Effect appears right after you die... and lots more.

Activision doesn't give a damn about d3 I guess. If necro brought some revenue they might create one more character known from d2, like druid or assasin, I bet on dru who will become top sup and meta will be nec, nec, dru, dru, and that will be the final hit for this game.

"nec, nec, dru, dru?"  Not sure what that means...

I assumed when we got the Werewolf Monsters in 2.6.0 that they were testing that Armature/Wireframe for a Druid.  And there's Bears running around too, so it's all sorta already set-up, isn't it?.

No changes to meta for s13 will probably reduce the playerbase by a lot, so I am wondering if s14 is even gonna happen. Then d4 will probably be like sacred 3 because greed and *puff* franchise dead.

You're probably right...

Forgot to ask: how did this build perform in s12 compared to other wizard builds?

It's okie... I still need to ask a few technical questions questions about it...  The Firebird and the Tal's are VERY different Playstyles.

I'm playing the Tal Rasha variant and I have a few questions about Stats:

On the Deathwish Deathwish, which stat is the "High Damage Range?"  (These stats are in different place on the Console)

Is it the "Range" Text in White just above "Attacks Per Second"?  Or is it the "Range" Text in Blue like "Cold Damage"?

And which is "% Weapon Damage?"

Is it the blue "7% Damage" stat?  Or the main White "Dmg" text?

And is it worth it to Socket the Etched for Vitality or..?

Guest me again
4 hours ago, Arkpit said:

Why would there be 2 necro? They are crap on AoE dmg which is why you have the Wizard for that role.

I was trying to sarcastically express my opinion, that we will be forced to buy both new classes, whatever they will be, in order to keep on playing.

2 hours ago, albabe said:

On the Deathwish Deathwish, which stat is the "High Damage Range?"  (These stats are in different place on the Console)

Is it the "Range" Text in White just above "Attacks Per Second"?  Or is it the "Range" Text in Blue like "Cold Damage"?

And which is "% Weapon Damage?"

Is it the blue "7% Damage" stat?  Or the main White "Dmg" text?

And is it worth it to Socket the Etched for Vitality or..?

% weapon damage is "7% Damage" as you say, the 6%-10% stat, in game called Damage Increase I believe.

Socket on offhand is useless, but if you are stuck with it and cannot get rid of it I would socket extra int.

On 2/19/2018 at 8:54 AM, Guest me again said:

Thanx!

On the Deathwish Deathwish which stat is the "High Damage Range?"  (These stats are in different place on the Console)

I noticed some folks substituting the "Arcane Torrent" with "Ray of Frost" on this build.  Anyone tried that?

Arcane Torent looks silly, like "She's" manically shuffling a deck of cards.

Edited by albabe

Guest hope this helps
3 hours ago, albabe said:

Thanx!

On the Deathwish Deathwish which stat is the "High Damage Range?"  (These stats are in different place on the Console)

The white text above Attacks per second is a fixed stat and since deathwish is lvl 70 it always equals 168-392. You can check the ranges on any weapon page, like  Deathwish Deathwish for example, but it is better to check it on wiki (the .net one, not the .com one) since it provides stats for level 70 items in contrary to official page which provides only info on low level version of an item if it drops on level lower than 70.

So the highest damage range refers to the blue text. The ranges for (non ancient) deathwish are [981 - 1199]-[1175 - 1490] so you want a roll as close to 1199-1490 as possible. This gets summed up with the base damage and in case of perfect roll you would see 1367-1882 above the attack speed (which essentially is [1199+168] - [1490+392]).

Check this screenshot of 2 ancient deathwishes for reference (not mine):

Spoiler

Screenshot000.jpg

As you can see even though they are ancient the damage above attack speed is still 168-392, but on ancient item it is summed up with higher "blue damage range", so in the end you get higher values.

Guest Guest

There are many ways to set up a Tal Rasha build.   I use Archane Torrent (electric), Disintegrate (fire), Meteor (cold), Teleport (archane).   Most of my gear had cold damage already so I wanted my meteor to be attached to my highest damage element.   You only need to alternate between two elements to keep the bonus up.

Guest better variant

The firebird's variant with  Halo of Karini instead of Halo of Arlyse is better imho. (magic weapon ignite > magic weapon deflection, frost nova > familiar - sparkflint, ice armor > storm armor - power of the storm, ancient parthan defenders > ashnagarr's blood bracer)

It's so much more toughness. I find it much easier to teleport around and pick up elites. It's absolutely horrible for clearing trash though, but I don't think it is a build where you are supposed to clear trash.

On 24. 2. 2018 at 3:51 PM, Kaelos said:

Bug Report. Star Pact variant shows Comet Meteor rune 

Thanks! I passed this onto Deadset

On 2/22/2018 at 11:42 AM, Guest hope this helps said:

Thanx!  I appreciate it (even though I think I only understood 75% of it).

So, the WHITE  "1681-2283 Damage" is affected by what you Roll for the BLUE "+1513-1891 Cold damage"?

If you roll the High Damage range, does it matter if it's "Damage" or "Cold Damage" or..?