Zadina

Dragon's Fury Reveal: Kobolds & Catacombs

Sign in to follow this  

17 posts in this topic

34372-merciful-djinni-temporus-reveals-k

Mage gets yet another powerful board clear.

Dragon's Fury was revealed by PCGamesN. The article contains a small interview with Peter Whalen, who talks about the design process behind this card:

636477123472604510.png

Image by Hearthpwn

This card looks amazing. It definitely fits into Tempo Mage or in the new "Big Spells" archetype, since these decks don't run a lot of minions. If you reveal a spell that costs 4 or more, you already have an improved Flamestrike at 5 mana. With a revealed 3-mana spell, it's comparable to Excavated Evil, while with spells that cost 2 or less it loses power but it can be decent as an anti-aggro tool.

There's not much to add about this Mage card, it just seems really good! As always, you can check our Kobolds & Catacombs hub for everything you need to know about the new expansion.

Does it really fit into a tempo secret deck though?  Clearing your own board is kind of bad.  Also they run a pretty high concentration of 3 drops since most are pretty secret oriented.  I could definitely see this as a 1 of in control mage, maybe even replacing flame strike or more probably one of the meteors.  Seems strong, and definitely a good role player card.

Another random card, oh god, STOP!!!!!

This expansion is turning into a f****** clown fiesta.

Almost every card in this set is either slow as a brick or totally unreliable.

And there are a bunch of broken cards, like new dragon and new priest board clear 'Autistic Screeching' (I know this is not the name, but it reminds me of this meme) and the Reckless Flurry(this card could bring control warrior back)

I thought that Gadgetzan was bad, obviously we can always be prepared for worse when it comes to card design I guess.

Edit: @VaraTreledees:  Those are high-cost spells, if you are hopeless to play this, you want your spells as big as possible. 

Edited by FanOfValeera
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, FanOfValeera said:

Another random card, oh god, STOP!!!!!

This expansion is turning into a f****** clown fiesta.

Almost every card in this set is either slow as a brick or totally unreliable.

And there are a bunch of broken cards, like new dragon and new priest board clear 'Autistic Screeching' (I know this is not the name, but it reminds me of this meme) and the Reckless Flurry(this card could bring control warrior back)

I thought that Gadgetzan was bad, obviously we can always be prepared for worse when it comes to card design I guess.

Edit: @VaraTreledees:  Those are high-cost spells, if you are hopeless to play this, you want your spells as big as possible. 

Yeh but control mage already runs like 7 - 8 6+ cost things.  Somethings gotta give for this.  If it isn't one of the 2 meteors, 2 firelands, the flamestrike, then its mediv, frost lich jaina or alex.

Edit: Also forgot skulking geist.

Edited by VaraTreledees

They are pushing a "Big Spell" archetype, it may work, surely they'll push it again in the next expansion, then maybe it will be a thing.

I think that the main problem with "casting spell from deck with a cheaper cost" is the random targeting. In Big Priest when I summon a minion, if it's a good minion (and I run only big expensive one, except Barnes, to be sure), it makes the board big. In Big Spell Mage, I can cast a fireball from my deck, and I can do it to my face, to the wrong minion.... And the more RNG, the more unreliable it is. With this card instead targeting is not a problem, the problem is destroying my board, or maybe doing nothing because I hit that only cheap spell I need to run.  And I need big spell in my deck, and big spell will not win the game all alone.

If this kind of cards will ever work, I see them in a secret-like archetype more then a Big one.

Edited by Synesthesy

24 minutes ago, VaraTreledees said:

Yeh but control mage already runs like 7 - 8 6+ cost things.  Somethings gotta give for this.  If it isn't one of the 2 meteors, 2 firelands, the flamestrike, then its mediv, frost lich jaina or alex.

Edit: Also forgot skulking geist.

Except the fact that all these spells cost more than the new card, all those are better, because they have the guaranteed effect, and they don't kill your own minions. I don't think cutting a 6 mana meteor, for a possible 5 mana x (from 2 to 7) damage is good.

I might be wrong about playability of this, but it doesn't change the fact that so many cards in this expansion is just random.

All of the reveal cards in this set make me really worried that mill decks are going to be WAY strong in the next meta.

Is this expansion going to beat GvG as most RNG intensive?

Why? Is anyone asking for more RNG? What exactly is going trough their minds?

7 minutes ago, Kuster said:

Is this expansion going to beat GvG as most RNG intensive?

Why? Is anyone asking for more RNG? What exactly is going trough their minds?

RNG makes the game less repetitive. Rather than the RNG being just what you draw, you can know weigh the risks/rewards of using one of the new RNG cards and determine if it is worth it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SMOrcMan said:

RNG makes the game less repetitive. Rather than the RNG being just what you draw, you can know weigh the risks/rewards of using one of the new RNG cards and determine if it is worth it.

I agree. But I don't want games to be coin flips. I don't think so many cards should to be so RNG-centric, and I don't think anyone in the community is asking for that much of it. So why do they do it?

20 minutes ago, Kuster said:

I agree. But I don't want games to be coin flips. I don't think so many cards should to be so RNG-centric, and I don't think anyone in the community is asking for that much of it. So why do they do it?

Yeah, they did need some RNG because the lack of it lately has made game draw dependent lately. BUT, they didn't solve the issue and instead made it worse. Part of the reason the meta is like this is that they are releasing two class legendaries, thus making decks less consistent and more draw dependent. 

With the addition of legendary weapons they are only further killing the game. They want to make expansions cost more dust so people buy more packs and give them more money, but it is slowly ruining the game.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SMOrcMan said:

Yeah, they did need some RNG because the lack of it lately has made game draw dependent lately. BUT, they didn't solve the issue and instead made it worse. Part of the reason the meta is like this is that they are releasing two class legendaries, thus making decks less consistent and more draw dependent. 

With the addition of legendary weapons they are only further killing the game. They want to make expansions cost more dust so people buy more packs and give them more money, but it is slowly ruining the game.

I don't think we have a lack of RNG with the current cards being played. One of the most popular cards, The lich King has a lot of RNG attached to it. There are a bunch of discover effects running around between adapt and card generation. With big priest you rig the deck to have good chances of getting something big with shadow essence, but eventually a 5/5 barnes wrecks you. Games can be won and lost depending on which minion the +3 attack from cobalt scalebane lands. Atiesh can give you pretty crappy minions sometimes, as do evolve cards in shaman. 

On top of the "draw factor", Is that not enough?

I mostly agree with the class legendaries part. But at least quests are guaranteed on the opener and DK's don't always are build around cards, so you can just jam them into good decks and they'll only make them a bit better. But the weapons are just terrible. They had a whole new design space, giving weapons to classes that never had them, and managed to be predictable, boring and ineffective for the most part. 

Interesting... ish. I feel that if they wanted to promote specific deck building and remove the RNG element, they could simply reword it to "Deal damage equal to the mana cost of the cheapest spell in your deck" or whatever.

2 hours ago, FanOfValeera said:

Except the fact that all these spells cost more than the new card, all those are better, because they have the guaranteed effect, and they don't kill your own minions. I don't think cutting a 6 mana meteor, for a possible 5 mana x (from 2 to 7) damage is good.

I might be wrong about playability of this, but it doesn't change the fact that so many cards in this expansion is just random.

Oh I misunderstood you.  Yeah I generally agree that this expansion is a clown fiesta of randomness.  I don't really care for it tbh.  As for the play-ability, I don't think it will be a control mage staple, but I think it is definitely an option if you want more AoE vs aggro.  Gives you an AoE that bridges the gap between volcanic potion and flamestrike, all the while also threatening some more mid rangey minions since you can high roll.  Plus volcanic is rotating soon.  In a meta where you want to tech vs aggro, meteor becomes a lot less useful since you generally need to deal with wide boards.  The randomness and inherent unreliability of this card could just be too much, but, barring glyphs and frost bolts, the lowest mana cost spell will be 3, and excavated evil wasn't a bad card in control priest.

I know it's hearthstone but I keep hearing the skyrim song.   R...N...G! (dadada) R....N...G!

• Haha 1

I don’t think this card is bad rng really. From the perspective of the person running it in their deck, the rng is pretty limited since you’re only going to be running it in decks where the possible outcomes are largely favourable.

It’s more random when it ends up in the hands of someone not running it. But I’m ok with a Tempo Rogue getting a coin flip between 5-mana deal 1dmg to all minions, and 5-mana deal 0dmg to all minions.

I think you guys said all what is to say about the card but I want to add why I am again disappointed by a card of this exp.

They started to put in cards that may (a big "may"?) make elemental mage viable. Then (if it turns out to be playable) they throw in this card pointing the players back to the already know all time played old archetypes.