FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Aleco

Toxmonger Reveal: The Witchwood

XvR6UuI.png

Fans of the Hunter Quest will happy to see the latest card spoiled from The Witchwood.

Fans of the The Marsh Queen will be very happy to see the latest Hunter card, which is capable of turning any 1 drop into an instant threat:

636580625292395941.png

Card image courtesy of Hearthpwn.com

Between Toxmonger and Ravencaller, will Quest Hunter finally have legs? Poisonous is the best keyword ability you could possibly give to a 1 drop, as it enables lowly Fire Fly tokens to trade up against anything on the board. But poisonous isn't exactly an aggressive ability, and a 4 Mana 2/4 isn't a very aggressive body. Toxmonger wants to be in a midrange or value-oriented deck, but it also needs to be in a deck which is heavy on 1 drops. This leads me to believe that Toxmonger will have narrow applications at best in standard. If there's a build of The Marsh Queen that looks to control the board and overwhelm with value then Toxmonger will see some play, but I think that the average Hunter deck can do much better than Toxmonger. Houndmaster Shaw is a more intimidating 4 drop and it demands much smaller deck-building requirements than Toxmonger does, but its worth noting that the two cards make quite a nasty combo when played together. Toxmonger into Houndmaster Shaw into double Fire Fly sounds like a great turn 10 to me!

Do you think I'm underestimating Toxmonger? Let us know what you think of the card in the comment section, and be sure to check out our Witchwood Hub for more spoilers from the upcoming expansion.

Certainly can do some nasty stuff if you get it down with Shaw. If you were running it, you probably play stonetusk boars too. But it seems a rather defensive tool for an aggressive class, not sure how you’d make it work really.

Wondering if it works with Unleash the Hounds but probably it doesn't.

Wondering if works with Elven Archer battlecry also.

Edited by Hanz39

10 minutes ago, Hanz39 said:

Wondering if it works with Unleash the Hounds but probably it doesn't

It doesn't. Unleash the Hounds summons, whereas this card needs you to play to gain the effect. Casting a creature the basic way id the only way to get the value.

Beyond that, I can see this card havinh g aome value. If you complete the quest and get the 3/2 draw ekno's, you could lukely toss him down late in, then get 3-5 poison creatures and still a good hand size. Board wipes will melt you though.

1 hour ago, Hanz39 said:

Wondering if works with Elven Archer battlecry also.

That's a good question, which triggers first the battlecry or the "whenever you play ..." effect?

Anyway it still looks a bit underwhelming.

Edited by Caldyrvan

3 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

That's a good question, which triggers first the battlecry or the "whenever you play ..." effect?

Anyway it still looks a bit underwhelming.

Doomguard on board. Play Umbra. Play cube, cast it’s battlecry on doomguard. Umbra’s effect triggers after the Battlecry of the cube.

So my guess is the eleven archer becomes poisonous after its battlecry. Unless the fact umbra acts when you summon rather than play makes a difference.

Edited by Bozonik
  • Thanks 1

Battlecries take place before minion hits the board. So Elven Archer will not hit a poison shot.

If you somehow keep Shaw on board one turn, next turn you can play this guy, summon 6 Broods, clear the board and draw 6 ( probably other Broods)