FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Aleco

E.M.P. Operative Card Reveal

38636-tumps-card-reveal-academic-espiona

Our anti-Mech tech card for the set, E.M.P. Operative's stats are quite underwhelming for the Mana cost.

We will be getting an "oops" button in case Mech decks become too prevalent in The Boomsday Project, E.M.P. Operative:

636685685596187015.png

I love evaluating tech cards, because it's easy! E.M.P. operative will be an incredibly valuable and powerful card if Mech decks are popular, and it will we be total garbage otherwise. One thing to note about E.M.P. Operative when compared to other tech cards is that it costs much more than a Hungry Crab or a Golakka Crawler, and that its stats aren't anywhere as good as a Chief Inspector, which leads me to believe that E.M.P. Operative will be particularly bad if you aren't playing against a Mech deck.

Horrible card.

If Mechdecks are totally overpowered that they'll dominate the meta completly - ok, then the card is great obviously.

(But the rest of the expasion is garbage then.)

If mechdecks are part of the meta the card is bad - because how many mech decks will there be? 1/4? 1/3?

You used to run BGH just to deal with oversized minions, and this is in theory the exact same.
I do expect some classes to turn to the mech side this expansion, and if they turn out to have a particular nasty mech, this might be a generic tech card for all classes to be able to deal with it.

Hard to say if it will see play, but definitely an interesting card!

15 minutes ago, Clindberg said:

You used to run BGH just to deal with oversized minions, and this is in theory the exact same.

I discovered recently that I’d never opened BGH... crafting one copy helped me a lot when spiteful druid was everywhere.

Actually had a wild togwaggle druid game today against renolock where the combo got broken but managed to rush him down (post Reno) to 1 HP, with just nourish and bgh in hand and empty deck. I’ll never know whether he had guldan in hand or not... but bgh sure was nice to have when he elected to play malganis!

I can see why they made this significantly worse than the crabs, as with magnetic you’re likely to be getting a bigger target than the typical Murloc or pirate. But unless mechs are so rampant that it’s worth playing this in a mech deck to win the mirror, I can only see this being played by a control/combo deck that has such good matchups against the board except some mech decks that it can afford the power level sacrifice of running such a weak card.

Boring card is boring.  If mechs are strong this card might still be meh.  I think mechs would have to make up over 50% of the meta game for this to see play.  Still a good safety valve.

19 hours ago, Clindberg said:

No.

Big minions were found in most decks -> making BGH usefull against all but aggro decks.  Which always was more then 50%.

BGH had quie a fair body (4/2 for 3 mana isn't bad), which made him not a horrible card without his battlecry.

This card is for way less decks (if they don't make mech decks totally imbalanced). Just take a look at other theme decks: How often do you play against Beast? Murloc? Dragon? Demon? Elemental?

BGH was a thousand times better then this card. 4/2 for 3 against 3/3 for 5 says enough.