Zadina

Mike Donais: "We Wouldn't Have Shipped Giggling Inventor If We Knew It Would Be This Good"

6 posts in this topic

55R6roi.jpg

Hearthstone's Principal Game Designer addressed the elephant in the room that Giggling Inventor is, while he also talked about the new cards being added to the Classic Set.

In a Newsweek piece, Donais admitted that Team 5 expected Giggling Inventor to be on a similar power level to Sludge Belcher, which saw universal play back in 2014. “I don’t think we would have shipped it if we knew it would be quite this good”.

“It wasn't bad in a super unhealthy way,” says Donais of the notorious 5-mana minion. “It gives control back and some more options, it doesn't really do that much by itself. In a lot of ways it’s helping some decks that wouldn't exist, but maybe not all of those decks are great."

He also talked about the team’s aim for future expansions, which is to curb the power level, while giving classes their own unique identity. Players should expect to see more class-specific cards that give buffs to minions or deal direct damage to players in the future.

Druid is also a likely candidate for nerfs. Donais explained that they want to iron out some of Druid’s cards. It should be weak at single-target and AOE removal of creatures and right now it really isn’t.

Lastly, the Principal Game Designer talked a bit about the new cards being added to the Classic set. You can read the entire article here.

6 hours ago, Sombra said:

they shouldnt have shipped the last 3 xpacs ...

I dno, I think the meta now is still much healthier than 1-2 years ago. Power cards like giggling are def a problem if they prove to be so strong but I really feel the last few xpacs have been pretty good overall.

4 hours ago, Shine said:

I dno, I think the meta now is still much healthier than 1-2 years ago. Power cards like giggling are def a problem if they prove to be so strong but I really feel the last few xpacs have been pretty good overall.

Last few sets are pretty good, but the problem is the same. If you make neutral commons, rares and epics too strong, they become a problem. Even legendaries can be frustrating, but they are at one copy.

Anyone could have seen this coming when they started introducing the stuff like the odd decks. I just wish they would get rid of the stupid gimmicky stuff.