FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Patch 8.1: Darkshore Introduction Questline (Horde PoV)

bs5QIxR.jpg

While the Darkshore questline is still buggy on 8.1 PTR, we managed to complete it twice and have uploaded a video to YouTube with the Horde PoV. Completing the quests in Tides of Vengeance unlocks the all-new Darkshore Warfront.

Alliance players can complete Tyrande's Ascension in Patch 8.1 and unlock new Night Warrior customization options. The following preview covers the Horde perspective and what exactly happens after their arrival at Darkshore.

Check out our Tides of Vengeance hub for the latest Patch 8.1 news!

THIS ARTICLE CONTAINS MAJOR 8.1 LORE SPOILERS!

Highlights

The questline begins with "Trouble in Darkshore" that can be accepted from Dark Ranger Velonara at the Warfront table (Port of Zandalar). Apparently, the moon has turned completely black and you are sent to investigate what has transpired in the area. Speak to Dread-Admiral Tatersail to travel to Darkshore.

Horde players arrive at Lor'danel Landing and come across Nathanos and two Val'kyr. Nathanos tells you to thoroughly investigate the source of the unnatural night.

There are three short introductory quests.

• Quit Vining!: Objective of this quest is to free 6 Goblin Harvesters.
  • Dark Ranger Round-Up: For this quest, you must kill Night Elf rangers and summon Brynja to turn 6 of them them into Forsaken. The quest rewards Dark Ranger's Spare Cowl Dark Ranger's Spare Cowl.
    • It's interesting to see that a vast majority of Night Elves spawn an Angry Wisp upon death, as they refuse to be raised.
    • If a Night Elf can be raised, you'll notice a shadowy aura emanating from their corpse.
  • Black Moon Rising: The third and final quest is about interrogating 3 lieutenants:
    • Lieutenant Golras
    • Lieutenant Ivyth
    • Lieutenant Mallyra

A Lost Wisp will spawn to turn in the quest and you can now accept "We're Not Out of the Woods Yet". Bring the wisp to Nathanos and turn in all quests.

The Night Warrior

Nathanos wants you to speak with the Lost Wisp to find out why the moon turned dark. There's a not yet implemented cutscene that will likely show Tyrande's transformation.

Where Hope Dies

Sylvanas wants the body of Delaryn Summermoon.

Nathanos Blightcaller: There is one more asset to acquire. One who resisted... and failed. The Dark Lady was very... specific in her wishes.

You must Signal Nathanos Signal Nathanos when you find her corpse. Suddently, Sira Moonwarden appears and you must defeat her before proceeding.

Sira Moonwarden: This is where it ends. You have nowhere else to run. Ash'al theradas!

Sira Moonwarden: Spare me the trouble and die!

Sira Moonwarden: Soon she will be here, and she will tear you to pieces.

Bringing her down to 1% makes Nathanos and the two Val'kyr enter the scene. If you click on Delaryn's corpse, you will see how she died (Warbringers: Sylvanas begins to play).

Nathanos Blightcaller: My my, look what we have here. The hunter has become the prey. It's almost a cliche, when you think about it. (Illidan/Maiev throwback?)

Sira Moonwarden: No! This... this was not...

Nathanos Blightcaller: What are you waiting for? Finish her.

Player Choice

Now you can either talk to Sira Moonwarden and choose to kill her yourself, or speak with Nathanos and let him do the dirty work. It's interesting to see another element of player choice added to the game right after the alternative ending added to Saurfang's questline.

Sira is disappointed that Tyrande did not come in time to aid her. She says "Where... is she...?" when you deliver her the killing blow.

The Dead of Night

Now comes the interesting part and you'll confront Tyrande, as Nathanos and the Val'kyr begin the ritual to raise both Sira Moonwarden and Delaryn Summermoon as Forsaken.

Nathanos Blightcaller: Now that we have the preliminaries out of the way, we can begin the ritual.

Tyrande Whisperwind: BLIGHTCALLER!

Tyrande Whisperwind: You will not see another sunrise, monster.

Nathanos Blightcaller: How uncouth for the... Queen of the Tree Elves, is it? No, I suppose that won't do... What exactly do you rule over these days?

Tyrande Whisperwind: I am no queen .I am the kaldorei's vengeance.

Nathanos Blightcaller: You are nothing. Raise them!

Brynja: Rise! In the name of Sylvanas, the Banshee Queen, I bestow this gift upon you! 

Tyrande uses some neat astral magic as you fight her in this stage, before she gets stunned by Nathanos. It's a nice demonstration of her newly-acquired "Night Warrior" powers.

Nathanos Blightcaller: Enough! Any last words, priestess?

Nathanos Blightcaller: Soon you will share the fate of your dear friend Sira... and the noble Delaryn. Reunions can be so... heartwarming.

Tyrande Whisperwind: Shal'karath!

Nathanos Blightcaller: You cannot hide from me forever, elf.

Then, she will restrict your vision with Veil of Darkness Veil of Darkness and Malfurion will root you. Now you must Break Free Break Free and fight both of them.

Tyrande Whisperwind: We do not stand alone. Now!

Nathanos Blightcaller: What?!

Malfurion Stormrage: Your end has come.

Brynja: We require more time Finish it, Signe. I will handle this.

Signe manages to complete the ritual and raises both elves. Delaryn and Sira claim to have nothing left and blame Tyrande/Elune for her idleness.

Nathanos Blightcaller: You are too late. Behold!

Tyrande Whisperwind: You must fight the shadow in your hearts, sisters!

Delaryn Summermoon: We placed our faith in you.

Sira Moonwarden: And you abandoned us. Elune abandoned us!

Delaryn Summermoon: We have nothing left. We are forsaken.

Brynja joined the fight but is defeated by Tyrande.

Tyrande Whisperwind: Never again. Ash thoribas!

Brynja: No! Dark Lady... I am... sorry...

Nathanos Blightcaller: Witch! You shall pay dearfly for that. Let's move!

Malfurion Stormrage: I will hunt them down.

Tyrande Whisperwind: No. Our forces gather. We will settle this another day.

Aftermath

Sylvanas has been dealt a heavy blow with the loss of Brynja. The final quest from Sira rewards a toy that will turn your Spirit Healer into Brynja for 1 day (Brynja's Beacon Brynja's Beacon) after you talk to Nathanos. There's another not yet implemented cutscene playing.

Warfront Preparations

Take the portal back to Zuldazar and talk to Throk to unlock Warfront: The Battle for Darkshore Warfront: The Battle for Darkshore.

Gameplay Video

Here's a short gameplay video of the Horde questline in Darkshore with the most interesting elements of the story.

Nathanos Blightcaller: You are too late. Behold!

Tyrande Whisperwind: You must fight the shadow in your hearts, sisters!

Delaryn Summermoon: We placed our faith in you.

Sira Moonwarden: And you abandoned us. Elune abandoned us!

Delaryn Summermoon: We have nothing left. We are forsaken.

...Really?    "Sylvannas invaded our lands unexpectedly, killed us in wartime and brutally burned our home with our children inside it.     But we'll side with her because Tyrande wasn't able to help us".

The Hamfist is growing to Peter Porker levels.      It feels bad when I can legitimately say I could write a better storyline ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Migol said:

...Really?    "Sylvannas invaded our lands unexpectedly, killed us in wartime and brutally burned our home with our children inside it.     But we'll side with her because Tyrande wasn't able to help us".

The Hamfist is growing to Peter Porker levels.      It feels bad when I can legitimately say I could write a better storyline ?

I’m gonna have to agree. The characters lately feel like they have little personality behind them. They just seem to accept it and not fight back. Can we go back to Legion’s story? That was actually a great one that made lots of sense

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Migol said:

Agreed.  It's a good thing these NPCs are so obedient when theres no agency or believable motive for their actions in sight.  The highly believable and not at all contrived plot would seem silly otherwise!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's even more evidence she's making a new "scourge" which is not a good thing... I'm not sure what they do with this, but the writing is awful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Migol said:

This about losing your home and everything you know and love, then think about how it wasnt defended by its leaders or most powerful warriors. This is all depressing enough, but then you get raised by your enemy and the revelation as to why they call themselves forsaken, it all becomes clear and you have a focal point for your hate in what use to be your ally. Honestly this story has been done before and it was all believable in much smaller context. Just be thankful that not all the elves allow themselves to be raised, that shows not all gave in to despair and change sides so easily. This way it shows Sylvs plan worked mostly and just has some deeper thought then it first looks.

13 minutes ago, Whisla said:

This about losing your home and everything you know and love, then think about how it wasnt defended by its leaders or most powerful warriors. This is all depressing enough, but then you get raised by your enemy and the revelation as to why they call themselves forsaken, it all becomes clear and you have a focal point for your hate in what use to be your ally. Honestly this story has been done before and it was all believable in much smaller context. Just be thankful that not all the elves allow themselves to be raised, that shows not all gave in to despair and change sides so easily. This way it shows Sylvs plan worked mostly and just has some deeper thought then it first looks.

I'm sorry but...Malfurion almost died defending it?   Tyrande only ran to save his life and trusted Saurfang, whowas supposed to make sure her people were treated ok.    It seems like a reach, and even more so when the last thing she saw before dying was Sylvannas torching the tree to get back at her.

• Like 2

You have to remember that being raised into undeath changes your emotions greatly. Forsaken struggle to feel positive stuff and feel negative emotions stronger - which is why they are all evil and able to do things in undeath they wouldn’t have in life. So the mild niggle these night elves have and the tiny spark of sadness/betrayel they feel is now amplified.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brutalis said:

You have to remember that being raised into undeath changes your emotions greatly. Forsaken struggle to feel positive stuff and feel negative emotions stronger - which is why they are all evil and able to do things in undeath they wouldn’t have in life. So the mild niggle these night elves have and the tiny spark of sadness/betrayel they feel is now amplified.

No offense, but I don't see any logic in this argument. The strongest "negative emotions" here must be directed at the Horde invaders who committed genocide against your race. The frustration about Tyrande or Elune must be a pale blip on the emo radar compared to this anger.

Going insane and holding a grudge against everybody after such a trauma? Maybe, though further humiliating one of the most played races is not the smartest idea by Blizzard (especially not in the current state of BfA).

But serving the Forsakens as obedient thrall in this situation? That's not even remotely imaginable for me.

• Thanks 1

On 11/20/2018 at 4:42 PM, Migol said:

I'm sorry but...Malfurion almost died defending it?   Tyrande only ran to save his life and trusted Saurfang, whowas supposed to make sure her people were treated ok.    It seems like a reach, and even more so when the last thing she saw before dying was Sylvannas torching the tree to get back at her.

Tyrande couldve abandoned Malf for her people which to some she should have. (One life isnt worth a city of people). Also she didnt trust Saurfang to do anything, she just decided not to fight him and to save Malf at the time. Long story short, its not a stretch for her people to feel abandoned by their leader and god. Not saying they all have to feel that way but its nothing new in story telling to have your home destroyed and to lose all trust in who was suppose to be your protector.

I just remember the Sylvannas warbringer when the one elf 'But you cannot kill hope.' I think the fact that Sylvannas burned the tree, the night elves symbol of hope died with it. At least that's what I take from it. It could be what they believed and that seeing that their symbol of hope was gone they were like screw it.

Edited by Guest
Moarrrr

Sure, I can see them saying "Screw it" and not being part of the Night Elf society anymore (literally "going rogue").    But siding with Sylvannas seems so way out there in stupidity.   Their feeling of being let down by Tyrande and Elune should be absolutely nothing compared to the rage and hate they feel toward Sylvannas.

Unless the whole "Will of the Forsaken" free will thing is being retconned.

Edited by Migol
  • Like 1