FORUMS
Valks

Tank Warrior 1.12 (Classic)

Guest Tank BIS

There are alot of pieces missing from the BIS slots.  Multiple pieces which are better and easier to gather.  I recommend the list being revised!

11 hours ago, Guest Tank BIS said:

There are alot of pieces missing from the BIS slots.  Multiple pieces which are better and easier to gather.  I recommend the list being revised!

Can you give some specific examples? ? 

On 9/11/2019 at 4:46 AM, Seksi said:

Can you give some specific examples? ? 

Demon's Blood trinket +3 Defense/+10 SR/+3 Health Regen, from the Razelikh the Defiler questline in Blasted Lands

Legplates of the Eternal Guardian +15 defense, drops off Doom'rel

Deathbone Sabatons - +9 defense, Scholomance side bosses

Drakeclaw Band <of the Bear/Monkey/Tiger> and +4 def, green dragons in ST

Wailing Nightbane Pauldrons, 14 str/sta and +3 def, The Unforgiven in Strat

Good morning, on the level/skill slider for a Prot Warrior, from lvl19-20, it jumps up to lvl 29 after 19 instead of 20-29 in order of progression.

thanks for your time and all you do.

o7

Bjazzy

42 minutes ago, Bjazzy said:

Good morning, on the level/skill slider for a Prot Warrior, from lvl19-20, it jumps up to lvl 29 after 19 instead of 20-29 in order of progression.

thanks for your time and all you do.

o7

Bjazzy

This is intended to lower the strain for users - 1 image per 10 levels is easier than having a total of 51 images for every talent point. The information in the rotation etc. still works level by level, it's just the image/talents that jumps up.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SidonisAntares said:

Demon's Blood trinket +3 Defense/+10 SR/+3 Health Regen, from the Razelikh the Defiler questline in Blasted Lands

Legplates of the Eternal Guardian +15 defense, drops off Doom'rel

Deathbone Sabatons - +9 defense, Scholomance side bosses

Drakeclaw Band <of the Bear/Monkey/Tiger> and +4 def, green dragons in ST

Wailing Nightbane Pauldrons, 14 str/sta and +3 def, The Unforgiven in Strat

These examples were left out purposely. They have a lot of defense, it is true, but defense is not all there is to a Classic Warrior, and all of these slots have much better (hence, best in slot) threat options, that often also carry valuable defensive stats.

Gearing purely with defensive items is a mistake often made by tanks new to WoW Classic, which ends up in them not being able to actually hold threat, or requiring huge DPS holds.

Ultimately if you can kill the boss faster because of higher DPS (and we are talking magnitudes faster here as the tank's threat output is the main limiter) the fight will be much easier as there will be less time for healers to go out of Mana, for boss mechanics to occur, or for mistakes to be made.

Finally, and as explained in our Tank Warrior stats page, pressing Shield Block Icon Shield Block on cooldown is all you need to prevent crushing blows and critical strikes, which is the main reason usually pointed out to stack defense. Defensive gives 0,04% miss, dodge and parry chance or 0,12% total avoidance per point, so +1% to dodge would be slightly better than +8 defense for comparison.

TL:DR Defense is good, but not nearly as good as many people think it is. Get it on items with a lot of other useful stats, such as the ones we point out in our Tank Warrior best in slot list!

Sorry for a stupid question here, but I do not really understand,
So you get the same amount of threat from mobs when buffing your party with Battle Shout, for the first time ( or if they are unbuffed ) as you would when they already have the buff ?

Yep, because the new buff overwrites the old one, as it has an higher duration (since the old battle shout keeps ticking down).

An exception to this rule would be if you have another warrior in your group with improved battle shout, which would cause it to not be overwritten by yours because it gives more AP, and thus in this case it would probably not give any threat.

Guest Joast

Is there a reason why you have left out more + hit gear?
Tanking in classic in terms of gearing is notorious for struggling to get +hit, while you have addressed the issue of threat, surely you see the value of a least, say, princess ring over ring of protection?

Also, I disagree with your option of dodge legs as pre bis, reason being is that when you dodge, you don't get rage. So from that, I also disagree with the 1 dodge > 8 def as the 8 def contains more parry, which generates threat as well allowing you to hit faster (which, again, also generates more threat).

Yeah I would 100% (and in fact, am!) use some of the https://www.icy-veins.com/wow-classic/warrior-dps-pve-gear-best-in-slot gear, instead of the weaker pieces of the protection one.

But if I would list every single hit option in the tank bis list I would basically just be doing a tank bis list combined with the dps bis list, so I put this disclaimer there instead:

While this is a balanced, defensive gear setup available before raiding, you can also get away with using some of the gear mentioned in the DPS Warrior Gear page, and trading some defense for additional threat as a result.

Feel free to use DPS gear for tanking, especially when the armor / stamina losses are very small ? 

Guest Nigel

I think there’s an error on the 2nd table under weapon skill.

if defense/weapon skill difference is the difference between you (level 60) and a boss (level 63), shouldn’t the human/orc be at 5 not 10?

meaning with their +10 weapon skill racial, they’re at 310 and the boss is at 315.

so they should have 5% glancing penalty, 5.5% Miss chance and And 5.5% hit cap?

i assume yes since you’re basically saying that in the sentence above the table right?

10 hours ago, Guest Nigel said:

I think there’s an error on the 2nd table under weapon skill.

if defense/weapon skill difference is the difference between you (level 60) and a boss (level 63), shouldn’t the human/orc be at 5 not 10?

meaning with their +10 weapon skill racial, they’re at 310 and the boss is at 315.

so they should have 5% glancing penalty, 5.5% Miss chance and And 5.5% hit cap?

i assume yes since you’re basically saying that in the sentence above the table right?

Human / Orc racial only gives +5 weapon skill though ? 

Guest Finra

What are your thoughts for the trinket you get from Onyxia’s head instead of the neck? It seems like it’d be in the raid BiS category. Is the neck better?

3 hours ago, Guest Finra said:

What are your thoughts for the trinket you get from Onyxia’s head instead of the neck? It seems like it’d be in the raid BiS category. Is the neck better?

The neck is better, and will be your neck of use throughout pretty much all of vanilla! The trinket is only useful on a purely defensive tank setup (you will generally be better off using offensive trinkets and / or mark of the chosen) and will quickly be replaced later on once BWL and ZG come around.

Guest Finra

Thanks for the quick response and insight! Great guidance and continued support. Keep up the good work!

5 hours ago, Guest Finra said:

Thanks for the quick response and insight! Great guidance and continued support. Keep up the good work!

My pleasure ? 

Guest Finra

Is it too early to start thinking about nature and frost resist sets? I’m new to classic so I don’t know the needed resists I’ve just heard stuff on YouTube etc. 

Also is an arcane set viable for Shazzrah? 

If so do y’all plan on doing a BiS for these resistance sets? 

And in regards to Rag is the FR goal 265 unbuffed (horde)

Thanks!

On 11/17/2019 at 2:40 PM, Guest Finra said:

Is it too early to start thinking about nature and frost resist sets? I’m new to classic so I don’t know the needed resists I’ve just heard stuff on YouTube etc. 

Also is an arcane set viable for Shazzrah? 

If so do y’all plan on doing a BiS for these resistance sets? 

And in regards to Rag is the FR goal 265 unbuffed (horde)

Thanks!

Heya, I'd say its a good time to think about nature and frost resist sets, as some of the AH green gear can be found for cheaper than it will be once you are actually able to put it to good use. On the other hand, it could be that players will outgear / skill the encounters so hard that it doesn't ever become necessary, but its never bad to be extra prepared.

Using Arcane Resistance for Shazzrah is overkill, as long as tanks are being prioritized on dispels, the arcane explosion doesn't hurt that much, its more about keeping him under control and away from most of your group, as the non-tank members will quickly die if hit more than a few times. Use Arcane Protection Potions if extra help is needed, instead.

Finally, on Fire Resistance, tanks would be advised to get as much of it as possible, but at the same time Ragnaros' melee attack is 50% physical so you will still want to keep a decent level of armor / health, and of course if you do not have any threat capabilities your melee players will be spending most of the fight either AFK or dead, so there's also that to consider. Imho get the best Fire Resistance pieces you can, that also have other useful stats, and don't worry about going for absolute maximum Fire Resistance while gimping every other stat.

Guest Aduna

The enchantments section seems to be a bit misleading.

For the Helmet enchant +8str is considered best, even though str is listed last (behind, for example agi) at the offensive stat table. I would love a better distinction in this part and maybe an assignment of different enchants for different talents (deep/impale/fury-prot) and alternatives for Head/Leg Enchants (on my server the book is about 400g).

Same for Back enchant. I think +3 agi is a good alternative for 70 arm.

All of the options you listed are pretty close to what we typed into the guide and can safely be used with minor differences. 3 Agi is a more offensively oriented enchant for cloak, which is totally fine to use as a tank Warrior, did not list it back then for formatting purposes but think I can add it in as an "or" option now, thanks for the inputs!

Guest Jjklines

Piercing howl is fury spec only aparently. Would save us full prot warriors a Google search if you edited that Info in :) thankyou