Classic Warrior Tank Gear and Best in Slot
On this page, you will find the best PvE gear and best in slot items for your Warrior Tank in WoW Classic.
Gearing Strategy for Tank Warriors
While a clear best in slot list is always available in WoW Classic, the items contained might be extremely hard or expensive to get. Depending on your race, you might want different items as well, as swords or maces are more powerful for Humans, due to Sword Specialization and Mace Specialization, and axes are more powerful for Orcs, due to Axe Specialization.
Thus, we will try to give at least one alternative, for most slots in the list, so that you can pick where and how to farm them.
WoW Classic Phases
As stated by Blizzard, WoW Classic will have six phases, starting with Molten Core, Onyxia's Lair, and Maraudon, and ending with Naxxramas and the Scourge Invasion. This guide currently contains information relevant to Phase 1, including Dire Maul gear as it is being launched ahead of schedule.
Warrior Tank Pre-Raid Best in Slot List
You should make sure to not go over 6% extra Hit chance cap as a Human or Orc when taking advantage of your weapon skill racials, or the 9% Hit chance cap with other races and weapons. This is the gear we recommend for tanking as a Warrior before setting foot in Molten Core or Onyxia's Lair.
On a special note, the Valor set 2 piece bonus grants 200 Armor and is easy enough to get that we would like to recommend using it if you can. Using 4 pieces for the 40 Attack Power bonus is also a decent bonus, which you can obtain if you use all of our recommended Valor pieces below ( Spaulders of Valor, Bracers of Valor, Legplates of Valor and Boots of Valor).
* Edgemaster's Handguards grant +7 weapon skill with the most common tanking weapon types. The first +5 weapon skill grants you a huge threat gain, as explained in the Warrior Tank Weapon Skill page section, with further points rapidly diminishing in value. While these gloves will not frequently be used by tanks, their value for threat generation when you are using weapons you have only 300 skill with, is undeniable.
While most of the gear on display is defensively oriented, you can find more threat options in the DPS Warrior Gear page, which is optimized for maximum DPS, which directly converts into additional threat for the most part for Tank Warriors.
Warrior Tank Raid Best in Slot (BiS) List
We will list the best gear you can have in Phase 1, including Molten Core and Onyxia's Lair, below. Warrior Tier 1 gear, Battlegear of Might is great for Warrior Tanks, and you can gain a lot of value from the 3 set bonus, which increases your shield's block value by 30 and from the final, 8 set bonus, which increases the threat generation of Sunder Armor by 15%.
*As explained before, Edgemaster's Handguards will allow you to have a 6% Hit cap with any race, as long as you are using Axes, Daggers or Swords. This is a huge benefit when it bumps you from 300 weapon skill to 307, but not worth it when you were already at 305 or above to begin with. Plan your gear accordingly.
Fire Resistance Gear for Warrior Tanks
While doing Molten Core and Onyxia's Lair, it is possible you will need some Fire Resistance gear, especially for Ragnaros. The pieces we list are the ones that grant significant Fire Resistance and do not drop from Molten Core itself. If you loot powerful gear with Fire Resistance on it during your Molten Core clears, replace whatever pieces you are still wearing of the following:
|Helm||Gyth's Skull (of Fire Resistance)||Gyth in Upper Blackrock Spire|
|Neck||Drakefire Amulet||Onyxia's Lair Attunement Quest|
|Wrists||Emberplate Armguards (of Fire Resistance)||Lord Incendius in Blackrock Depths|
|Gloves||Molten Fists||Ambassador Flamelash in Blackrock Depths|
|Belt||Flamescarred Girdle||Maleki the Pallid in (side-entrance) Stratholme|
|Ring #1||Ocean's Breeze||A Hero's Reward quest in Azshara (Hydraxian Waterlords)|
|Ring #2||Prismatic Band (of Fire Resistance)||World drop BoE|
|One-Hand||Alcor's Sunrazor||World drop BoE|
|Shield||Draconian Deflector||General Drakkisath in Upper Blackrock Spire|
Finally, do not forget you can also complement your Fire Resistance gear with consumables such as Greater Fire Protection Potion, Juju Ember, the Libram of Resilience leg and head enchant, the Enchant Cloak - Fire Resistance cloak enchant, and the Flame Mantle of the Dawn shoulder enchant.
Since weapons are such a broad topic, we have written a full guide about Warrior weapons.
Special gear for Tank Warriors
Some items, which are not powerful enough to be in the best in slot list, have special properties that make them very valuable to acquire for specific encounters or as a weapon swap mid-fight. We will list the most notable special items for the current phase, and their effects and application below:
- Annihilator (or the less expensive, less powerful Rivenspike and Bashguuder) allows you to reduce an enemy's armor by up to 600 for your whole group, making it a very powerful weapon swap. Use it at the start of an encounter to quickly full debuff the boss, and then swap to your normal weapon to take advantage of the lowered armor.
- Gnomish Battle Chicken summons a chicken that attacks your enemies for 1.5 minutes, with a cooldown of 30 minutes. The chicken scales with your Engineering skill (Level 60 at 300 skill), and buffs your group with 5% increased Attack Speed through Battle Squawk. This is what makes it well worth using while grouped.
- Arcanite Dragonling summons a dragon that attacks your enemies for up to 1 minute, with a cooldown of one hour. The dragon scales with your Engineering skill (Level 60 at 300 skill) and causes a stacking debuff that increases Fire damage taken, which makes it worth using in later raids to boost Fire Mage damage.
- Skull of Impending Doom is given as a quest reward from completing Forbidden Knowledge in the Badlands. While generally undesirable, if you need to run somewhere fast, it can be a useful item to have.
- Furbolg Medicine Pouch is sold by Gorn One Eye when you reach Honored status with Timbermaw Hold. This is a great item that you can swap during combat to provide you with a significant 1000 heal over 10 seconds. For comparison's sake, Heavy Runecloth Bandage heals you for 2000 over 8 seconds, but requires you to channel it, and you cannot take any sort of damage in the channel duration.
- Tidal Charm allows you to instantly stun an enemy for 3 seconds. It has a 50% drop chance from Prince Nazjak, who spawns around 25,84 in Arathi Highlands. Due to his very high respawn timer it might be hard to get this trinket, but the stun it provides is a life saver and duel winner.
- Linken's Boomerang allows you to potentially disarm or stun an enemy when used, which makes it useful in certain scenarios, especially in PvP. Its rewarded from the Un'Goro Crater quest It's Dangerous to Go Alone.
- Luffa removes a bleed effect, such as Garrote, from yourself when used. This is great when tanking bosses with dangerous bleed debuffs such as High Priest Thekal's bleed, Speed Slash. You get this item from the Searing Gorge quest Incendosaurs? Whateverosaur is More Like It.
- Crystal of Zin-Malor allows you to kill yourself easily, and you do not get durability loss if you die from its effect. This can occasionally be useful, such as when you regret getting on a fly path after you are already flying or if you need to talk with the Blackrock Depths key ghost NPC. You get it from starting the quest Tormented By the Past.
- 13 Oct. 2019: Added Phase One Molten Core / Onyxia gear bis list.
- 11 Oct. 2019: Added Dire Maul gear and reworked the pre-raid best in slot list.
- 16 Aug. 2019: Added new special gear to the list and changed the position of this list to the bottom of the guide.
- 21 Jul. 2019: Removed some weak gear recommendations to make the best in slot list more accurate and easy to read.
- 16 Jul. 2019: Updated some gear recommendations.
- 12 Jun. 2019: Page added.
- Official BlizzCon 2019 Preview: Free Panels, Map, Schedule, Mobile App
- BlizzCon 2019 Schedule with a Many "Coming Soon" Slots
- Solenor the Slayer Hotfix: October 22nd
- New German RP Realm Opening October 25th
- Hallow's End in WoW Classic
- Ad Leak Confirms Diablo IV Reveal at BlizzCon 2019
- Possible Leaks: Overwatch 2, Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 Remastered to Be Announced at BlizzCon?
- Warcraft 3: Reforged Gameplay Videos
- [A][US][Bloodsail Buccaneers]Acies | WoW Classic | T/Th | 8:30 PM-11:30 PM ET |LFM
- Classic expectations
- Hunter Ranged weapon recommendation is wrong
- Classic: Lock Spell Damage question
- Dungeon/Raid Finder by QuestShares
- Shaman Tank Guide - Serious Look at Shaman Tanking in World of Warcraft
- Pet Aggro vs Hunter Aggro
- "Utility" Priest?