FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

6.1 Demonology Guide

Ran new Demo Simcraft models - Supremacy is 0.5% behind Synergy single target but Supremacy wins at 2+ targets. 

Also, I'm seeing some crazy shit with Chaos Wave - I forgot how significantly it got buffed.  With our T16 4pc, I think you'd do well to spam Touch of Chaos for Chaos Wave procs than to use your DF with Soul Fire.  I think Gahhda was saying that ToC was more efficient, but now I get it and see it with how high Chaos Wave's damage contribution is.  You still don't want to cast CW, but the procs are NASTY good.

At 3 targets, Essence of Yu'lon becomes Demo's largest damage source in 6.0 at level 90.  In fact, it looks to be such a good damage source that I'm not sure the 616 cloak gets replaced by any 630/640 cloak at level 100.  Will be interesting to see if they let this cloak continue to be powerful in WoD.

Just so we're all aware, the simc APL DOES NOT WORK for 2+ targets. There are many bugs with warlock aoe/cleave in simc right now, and the APL doesn't support it anyway.

Theoretically, supremacy should win out for aoe, but if you get decent RNG and say, align mannoroth's fury with a synergy proc, shit gets fuzzy.

Just so we're all aware, the simc APL DOES NOT WORK for 2+ targets. There are many bugs with warlock aoe/cleave in simc right now, and the APL doesn't support it anyway.

Theoretically, supremacy should win out for aoe, but if you get decent RNG and say, align mannoroth's fury with a synergy proc, shit gets fuzzy.

Ah, ok.  Still, using logic and reasoning, I still think Supremacy comes out with how hard Mortal Cleave is hitting.  Also, I love that you say "shit gets fuzzy" - that means you can go either way!  Don't be such a number stickler!

Semi-unrelated, but while you're here: do you know if this is also the case for boomkin ATM?

Thanks for all the effort that you guys put into helping the community.

I understand for glyphs we're looking at DS as mandatory for the DB burn phase.  Is lifetap glyph looking pretty good for saving some GCD?  Assume aside from these two, the usual suspects for the other glyphs that we have today.

Thanks!

DS glyph will be mandatory with Demonbolt.  Lifetap Glyph makes me scared to use it with fear of going OOM.  I don't think you'll have to 'save GCDs' while moving without Fel Flame.  I'll be adding a glyph section when they're available to us at level 100.

• Like 1

Semi-unrelated, but while you're here: do you know if this is also the case for boomkin ATM?

well now you have me picturing a big long queue of owl beasts outside the bank

well now you have me picturing a big long queue of owl beasts outside the bank

With the Glyph of the Flapping Owl, you won't find many of them on the ground.

When I gave Life Pact a go, it took me two minutes to dip down to 30% mana.

Demo Life Pact is super RNG. Depending on the MC procs you get you might be fine for 6 min or as what happened to Kaz, 2 min. 

Aff works really well with Life Pact, Demo not so much.

OK, so I said I haven't played demo since bc, and I REALLY want to learn it, but I'm just not liking it. I can see its strengths on what would be single target boss fights, but what am I doing wrong on what would be "leveling content"? When I'm not in meta, it feels show, clunky, and underpowered. I can't get enough df to get into meta killing small trash. It seems I have quick short bursts then I'm on CD and all I have is sb and soulfire when I got little adds all around. Hellfire just seems slow and ineffective to bother with. 

When I'm in meta it's great. Chaos wave just destroys packs of mobs in one hit. I just don't know how to make it effective for questing. 

I was messing around in heroic 25 firelands and was catching hell with the place. Went to destro and I wiped the floor with everyone including rag.

For AOE is better to use 2x Hand of Gul'dan (maybe with 2x shadowbolt between the first and the second to maximize the shadowflame dot) or simply go for 2x Chaos Wave?

For AOE is better to use 2x Hand of Gul'dan (maybe with 2x shadowbolt between the first and the second to maximize the shadowflame dot) or simply go for 2x Chaos Wave?

With t16 4pc and not near capping on DF, I would imagine  something like HoG-> 2-3 Shadowbolts or MC ´ed Soulfires -> HoG-> Meta-> Hellfire Aura and ToC Spam would be effective. Maybe drop the (finally buffed) Infernal on top. 

But that depends on how long all targets life, priority etc. If you need to bomb that much, maybe destro would be the better specc.

Other question, does a current Essence of Yulon get overwritten  by a new one or is its duration set to full length/full length + pandemic? Because if it gets overwritten, it would be minimal beneficial to switch targets on ToC spam to ones without EoY.

Edited by Desos

So for demo do you think 4 set t16 is worth it over heroic WF items level 90?

Of course.  Why would free procs of your top damage source not be worth it?

OK, so I said I haven't played demo since bc, and I REALLY want to learn it, but I'm just not liking it. I can see its strengths on what would be single target boss fights, but what am I doing wrong on what would be "leveling content"? When I'm not in meta, it feels show, clunky, and underpowered. I can't get enough df to get into meta killing small trash. It seems I have quick short bursts then I'm on CD and all I have is sb and soulfire when I got little adds all around. Hellfire just seems slow and ineffective to bother with. 

When I'm in meta it's great. Chaos wave just destroys packs of mobs in one hit. I just don't know how to make it effective for questing. 

I was messing around in heroic 25 firelands and was catching hell with the place. Went to destro and I wiped the floor with everyone including rag.

If you don't like it, don't play it - not sure what else to say here.  The whole design of Demonology is to build in caster and dump in Meta - so you should feel more powerful in Metamorphosis.  Raiding as Demonology involves timing your dump phases at key opportunities to maximize damage. 

Hand of Gul'dan was registering as Hand of Gul'dan for both the initial hit and the DoT after, so HoG's damage looks inflated, but it's actually nice to compare it directly to Chaos Wave.  I was seeing them coming out relatively the same.  However, keep in mind that Chaos Wave killing mobs generates massive amounts of DF, so it's pretty good for that purpose.  I have to take a deeper look into logs, but at a quick glance last night, me, Locky, and Kaz were seeing relatively the same DPS on pew pew fights using different strategies, so it looks like Demo has enough different ways to maximize DPS similar to what it had in 5.4.

With t16 4pc and not near capping on DF, I would imagine  something like HoG-> 2-3 Shadowbolts or MC ´ed Soulfires -> HoG-> Meta-> Hellfire Aura and ToC Spam would be effective. Maybe drop the (finally buffed) Infernal on top. 

But that depends on how long all targets life, priority etc. If you need to bomb that much, maybe destro would be the better specc.

Other question, does a current Essence of Yulon get overwritten  by a new one or is its duration set to full length/full length + pandemic? Because if it gets overwritten, it would be minimal beneficial to switch targets on ToC spam to ones without EoY.

You shouldn't care of EoY is overwritten.  It's also very rare to be a situation where you're doing AoE/splash damage enough that you would care about where EoY is at.  Let HoG/Shadowflame take care of applying EoY to other mobs.

Great guide! as always guys!

Just did not found any information about glyphs in the part 3. smile.png 

Glyphs are unchanged for now and still changing for level 100.  As of now, there's only speculation on which ones are advantageous when talking about new ones.  For now, stick with the ones you've been using.

Hi guys, got a couple of questions apologies in advance if they have been answered already but I skimmed through the thread and still am unsure biggrin.png.

I've gone haste (was around 12.5k) and mastery build since I was rolling destro/aff for soo. I was wondering if I should do any gemming changes at all? More haste or crit for this patch or wait until wod? Linking armory here if anyone has time to check for me would be much appreciated: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/twisting-nether/Thihiihii/advanced

Glyph of Imp Swarm yes/no/doesnt make a difference? I remember imp damage was nerfed hard at the beginning of soo but have not seen any changes made to it (unless I missed it) so for single targets I would have thought this would just mean a difference of about 1-2 imps which is negligible dmg anyways? Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Great guide as always smile.png

Here's our parse from last night on Malkorok specifically.  You can see that Kaz and Locky prioritized Soul Fire while I prioritized Touch of Chaos - damage was almost identical.  For most of the other fights, I've got the raid leader debuff where I'm watching 20 people instead of 10 so my DoTs fell off, I did stupid things, etc.  For a good representation of where Demo is, check Kaz and Lockys logs - they played fantastic last night.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/zQNaMJGqy9pZjd3K#fight=23&type=damage-done

Nice to see that I'm able to keep relatively near where y'all were in numbers, consistent 20-27k depending on the fights. I'm digging how Demonology is working out, but the gap for Demonbolt is definitely felt.

There really shouldn't be any gaps between you and others if you keep DoTs up and use HoG appropriately.  ToC = SF and HoG = CW in terms of decisions and relative power.  As long as you play well, #s should be VERY close, only separated by procs and timing.  This is one of the pitfalls/benefits of the removal of snapshots - DPS will be VERY identical to anyone with a solid grasp of the spec.

Correct, just settling into the feel of the spec and using the Blizzard UI which was deciding not to show dot lengths for half of our raid time last night caused some variances.

Yup, I was calling assignments and shit and then I'd look at my unit frames and be like "shit, I don't have Doom OR Corruption up!"  I played so badly last night just trying to get feelers out for Mythic. 

• Like 1

I ran a normal last night just to get the feel of things a bit, and took a look at your parses on Malkorok and compared mine to them.   I was pulling 17k on that fight compared to your 21k, and on quick inspection, my uptimes and casts were all very similar to yours, so now to find where I am missing that 5k.

I know a couple small parts, I was just using a crystal of insanity and not potting, but that won't be a huge part, so now to look at how I actually used HoG, as well as when I dumped fury (probably better lining up with procs).  I have a feeling that those two were the biggest issues going on.