FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Brogacy

WoD Advice for new Rogue

Hello fellow Rogues, 

I'll begin by giving you a little bit of background on my situation; I am hoping to main a Rogue in WoD, I will unfortunately be using my free level 90 boost on my Rogue, however, I do already possess a few level 90s already. In all previous incarnations of WoW I have been a healer. But for WoD, I decided I will be rolling DPS and after lots of consideration, I decided to choose Rogue. 

Hopefully 1-60 and 90-100, Should give me a good feel for how to play, but when it comes to heroics, I don't want to suck, which is what has brought me to here. 

Basically, I want to hear from current level 90 Rogues, and especially people who participated in the beta, I want to know what you think any Rogue should be doing to maximize their DPS and raid utility?  
What are some common mistakes you see new Rogues making?
What stats are priority? 
What spec do you recommend?
I choose Rogue, because I thought I would enjoy all three specs, but what do you guys prefer? (Not really asking what is best, but more what is most fun?)

What professions would I benefit from the most?

I understand I may not be able to get the answers right now, because the information might not be available for what life will be like for Rogues during WoD, but I would really appreciate any advice anyone could give.

And just to stress, I'm not looking for information regarding to level 90 content, I wanna know what people have experienced during the beta. 

p.s

I want to get involved with Arena 2v2 and 3v3 with a couple of friends, any idea what classes will synergy with Rogues? 

Thanks everyone! 

If I missed anything, let me know

Stats: Obviously, it depends which spec you intend on playing for different stat priorities, and these are subject to change as time goes on. Generally, Mastery is pretty valuable for all specs; it's best for Sub and Asn, and competitive for Combat.

Spec: All specs are viable at the moment. Sub is simming top for Single and 2-target dps, but Combat pulls massively ahead against 5+ targets. Assassination is the most simple by far, so if there's a fight with difficult mechanics I would lean towards it. For almost all scenarios though, I will be playing Sub - it's not only simming the best numbers, but it's the most complicated & involved, so I enjoy it a lot more

PvP: Almost every class can be played decently well with a Rogue. Rogues have an incredibly diverse toolkit that can be played a lot of different ways depending what your team is / what you're up against.

Professions: With WoD, I'd recommend LW / Skinning cause crafting is very useful. Otherwise it makes 0 difference for Mythic

Newbie Stuff: Honestly, there are so many subtleties (get it? Cause Sub spec? ha...) to playing Rogue that I don't even know where to begin. It's one of the classes that can do the most kinds of different things, because we have so many different cooldowns and personal utility spells. Just get a feel for the class

The first recommendation (really, a requirement if you want to raid) is to download WeakAuras or something similar and get yourself a functional UI that you can actually use to see the necessary information. Track your buffs and debuffs, procs, and even combo points on a more efficient system than the default Blizz UI

Dunno how newbie you wanted, but obviously everything needs to be hotkeyed. I have 40-ish different keybinds for my Rogue, between focus macros and that kind of thing. 

Abuse the hell out of Feint (and other defensive CDs). Most classes have a shield wall that's on a 2-3 minute cooldown; not only do we have CoS and Evasion to completely avoid a lot of attacks, but the ones that aren't avoidable can be mitigated by Feint. It's a 50% damage reduction from AoE spells (most boss attacks etc) and when talented it's also a flat 30% damage reduction on everything else (yes, it stacks. So 30% reduction then an additional 50% less if it's AoE). It's amazing.

Edited by Carrn

Hi Carrn,

Thank for the reply, very insightful, but it has raised a few more questions.
This is gonna make me seem like a massive noob, although I've been playing for 7 or so years, I have always kinda stayed from custom UIs and stuff.
Aside from WeakAuras, could you recommend a complete UI pack that is very clean?

Hi Carrn,

Thank for the reply, very insightful, but it has raised a few more questions.

This is gonna make me seem like a massive noob, although I've been playing for 7 or so years, I have always kinda stayed from custom UIs and stuff.

Aside from WeakAuras, could you recommend a complete UI pack that is very clean?

I don't use a complete UI pack, I use a combination of a few addons to get a look that I like. ElvUI has a lot of fans and I enjoy using it, but it's far too complete in my opinion. I disabled everything about it other than the unit frames.

Other than that and WeakAuras, I use Bartender for action bars and SexyMap for a minimap. Skada for DPS and Threat meters, and Pratt for a chat mod. Obviously, I also use DeadlyBossMods for raid timers and such.

There are other ones out there that are similar, but those are the ones that I've settled on

Yeah, I think I had the same problem with ElvUI, I ended up using a setup with Shadow Unit Frames and Bartender4. I have WeakAuras installed but I can't actually seem to get it working, which is pretty disappointing.

Would you recommend Skada over Recount? Because I think Recount is kinda ugly and I was looking for something prettier haha.

Skada can do more than one window at once, has more accurate tracking, and has the potential to track more things

Carn did a good job of summarizing a rogue for you so I won't go into that.  I have a 90 rogue myself.. but really only got him to 90 and then played my other toons.  so now getting back into one myself.  

As for addons:

Weak Auras--  here is a good blog site for setup help. (  http://www.sacredduty.net/weakauras-strings/ ) you just have to copy and paste into Weak Auras.. for most classes.. just scroll down till you get to the rogue section.. i believe they are still workable for this version of wow, though i haven't seen an update as of yet.  

Skada- as the others have said it's far superior than most out there.. I am currently testing a new one called Details! ( yes ! is part of the name)... so far i'm liking it and so far on par with Skada.... just to give you an option smile.png

Other ones that i'm using :

Miscellaneous:  LeatrixPlus:   mostly a behind the scenes addon that help automate some functions. The site gives a better description than I can .

Nice simple little Whisper Mod:   SoDWhisper - all i can say is check it out.. its unobtrusive and helps keep track of whispers you may miss --  Right now I use a Blizzard/Leatrix/SoDWhisper mix  and love it.  and it keeps it pretty light on the UI Load. 

Scrolling Text:  XCT+ Combat Text -  preset (but can be modified if you need) 
another option would be MikScrollingBattleText 

Boss Mods:  the 2 addons I bounce between are Deadly Boss Mods and BigWigs/LittleWigs  Which you probably have used before 

Ui's -  As you you have already used ElvUI - super popular with all it's modded incarnations.

or if you want to have a fun complete UI Mixed with a Comic book feel  I recommend trying out SuperVillianUI  Lots of stuff packed into the UI.. but seeing that you trimmed ElvUi right down.. you may not like this one.. I still recommend it biggrin.png lol.

on a more simplified Ui and one i'm currently trying out is oUF LS  gives lots of Screen space .. again the addon site has a better description and pictures than i can give at this time.  

Edited by Strikezx

On that note, I'll be making a detailed post about UI in the next few days - started working on it with all the server troubles, and at this rate may end up finishing it before this queue comes up lolol /wrists

Oooo! I might have to get oUF LS ago, looks very clean and neat! Thanks for the suggestions!

Can't wait Carrn, I'll definitely be giving that a read when it's ready! :D