FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Sottle

The Rate/Improve my deck thread.

Hey guys, Sottle here. In case you don't know who I am, I am the new person in charge of Icy Veins Hearthstone content, and responsible for all the new deck guides since a little while before GvG.

I thought it would be nice to have a thread where people can post decks they were working on, or looking for advice on, and i'll take a look at them, suggest possible improvements, and hopefully help you to tear up the ladder.

To help us out, please try and stick to the following format as much as possible.

-Deck Image, or Decklist

-Available Cards (just a general idea is fine, "I have most Rares", "Good Vanilla Set, but few GvG cards" etc.

- Amount of adventure wings.

- Your current rank on ladder.

Go ahead and get posting smile.png

positiv's edit: If you want a 0 dust change (ie. using only the cards you own), you can give me link to your collection uploaded through Innkeeper. Your collection gets uploaded to Hearthpwn, you can find the link somewhere on the site. 

Also, it would be nice if you wrote the amount of available dust.

Okay, to start things off, I have this DemonLock deck that I've been working on. Right now it's just theorycrafting, because I don't have many cards yet, but I love the idea of a demon deck, so this is just something to work up to. I feel like it's good, but not good enough. I would love some suggestions. I've been thinking of adding implosion, shadowflame, mountain/molten giant, and sludge belcher, I just can't find any room for them.

Here's the deck: http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=90840/demon-army

Edited by Toxicroaker

Okay, so my first suggestion is that you're playing too many demons. I know that sounds weird, but the key to a good Demonlock build is to make your Demon pool really dense and powerful, that way Sense Demons and Voidcaller always hits the big stuff. You don't want to be spending 3 Mana on Sense Demons to draw a Flame Imp and a Voidcaller, you want to be getting Voidcaller and Doomguard for example. What I would look at doing is cutting some of the weaker Demons like Voidcaller, Felguard etc. and replacing them with more cards that you see in Handlock like the ones you suggested.

Honestly, I feel like the key to a good Demonlock is to get it as close to Handlock as you can, whilst still maintaining a good pool of Demons.

I've made a mech rogue deck that works kind of like a midrange-aggression playstyle. It's built around synergy with Iron Sensei and Mimiron's Head to try to get as much value out of my minions as possible, and to try to control the board to win. This is the list:

2x Backstab

1x Cold Blood

2x Conceal

2x Deadly Poison

2x Blade Flurry

2x Eviscerate

2x Sap

2x Annoy-o-Tron

1x Goblin Auto-Barber

1x Mechwarper

1x Big Game Hunter

2x Harvest Golem

2x Iron Sensei

2x S.I.7 Agent

2x Mechanical Yeti

1x Antique Healbot

2x Azure Drake

1x Mimiron's Head

The overall goal is to put strong pressure and control on the midgame while also working towards the kill through use of Iron Sensei buffs, and Mimiron's Head+Cold Blood. I'm thinking of adding more defensive/end game minions such as Dr. Boom, Foe Reaper 4000, and Arcane Nullifier X-21, and also Sprint+Preparation. Please let me know what you think and what cards I should exchange for!

I have Naxxramas, and I am currently rank 9 on the ladder.

I've got a lot of dust to craft cards, around 1.2k

Edited by Gromdar

Alright, I took what you said into consideration, and completely remade my old deck. Here's what the new one looks like: http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=91026/demon-army

What you said made complete sense, I had already thought of the sense demons/voidcallers losing value with my smaller minions, but I just disregarded it. Thinking about it again, I think the deck looks much better now. My main concern now is the chance that you voidcaller your Jaraxxus. With a much smaller supply of demons, it's much more likely to get him from sense demons, and ruin his battlecry. Do you think I should switch him with something else like Dr. Boom, Alextraza, Dread Infernal, etc.?

Ok, although I've been having good results so far, there is something off about this deck. Sometimes it just doesn't work and instead of aggression I just find myself trading my own minions for surviving and hoping for a blade fury save. Not sure about the role some cards play and maybe there are better options. Maybe it is just too focused on Mech, should I change that? 

Backstab x2

Preparation x1 (i'ts expensive!)

Deadly Poison x2

Cogmaster x2

Blade Fury x2

Eviscerate x2

Sap x1

Goblin Auto-Barber x2

Mechwarper x2

Cogmaster's Wrench x2

Fan of Knives x1

Harvest Golem x2

Iron Sensei x2

Tinker's Sharpsword Oil x2

Arcane Nullifier X-21 x2

Azure Drake x2

Sprint x1

Some thoughts:

About Azulli Drake: no doubts an anwesome card. Amazing vs Priests. I'm not using its full potential tho (spell damage +1 hardly ever serves me)

About Iron Sensei: I find it most often turning the board in my favor. However, it severely increases my needs for mechs. I still think that in the current stage of this deck, Iron Sensei is better than SI:7. I might be wrong. Also, Iron Sensei + Arcane Nullifier X-21 creates a huge board pressure.

About Preparation: Broken card rogue-wise, but since there aren't that many spells that benefit from it on this deck I should either remove it from the deck or maybe add another Sprint. This is an important change.

About Cogmaster's Wrench: another card that creates a need for mechs on the board. Maybe removing 1 and adding a Sprint would be good for the deck. Helps the problem above.

About Fan of Knives: is it better than Sap? I'm still testing. Likeing.

About Conceal: is it worth it? -1 Sap -1 Fan of Knives +2 Conceal?

Thanks guys :D

I've made a mech rogue deck that works kind of like a midrange-aggression playstyle. It's built around synergy with Iron Sensei and Mimiron's Head to try to get as much value out of my minions as possible, and to try to control the board to win. This is the list:

2x Backstab

1x Cold Blood

2x Conceal

2x Deadly Poison

2x Blade Flurry

2x Eviscerate

2x Sap

2x Annoy-o-Tron

1x Goblin Auto-Barber

1x Mechwarper

1x Big Game Hunter

2x Harvest Golem

2x Iron Sensei

2x S.I.7 Agent

2x Mechanical Yeti

1x Antique Healbot

2x Azure Drake

1x Mimiron's Head

The overall goal is to put strong pressure and control on the midgame while also working towards the kill through use of Iron Sensei buffs, and Mimiron's Head+Cold Blood. I'm thinking of adding more defensive/end game minions such as Dr. Boom, Foe Reaper 4000, and Arcane Nullifier X-21, and also Sprint+Preparation. Please let me know what you think and what cards I should exchange for!

I have Naxxramas, and I am currently rank 9 on the ladder.

I've got a lot of dust to craft cards, around 1.2k

This deck looks fine as far as a Mimiron's Head deck goes, but I would like to point out that the archetype as a whole is not very competitive at a high level.

I would definitely cut the Mech Yetis for Arcane Nullifier, Nullifier and Annoy-o-Tron are really important for protecting your board and helping you to build up enough Mechs to activate the transformation.

Alright, I took what you said into consideration, and completely remade my old deck. Here's what the new one looks like: http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=91026/demon-army

What you said made complete sense, I had already thought of the sense demons/voidcallers losing value with my smaller minions, but I just disregarded it. Thinking about it again, I think the deck looks much better now. My main concern now is the chance that you voidcaller your Jaraxxus. With a much smaller supply of demons, it's much more likely to get him from sense demons, and ruin his battlecry. Do you think I should switch him with something else like Dr. Boom, Alextraza, Dread Infernal, etc.?

This looks better, but I think you've gone a little far with the 1 offs. Playing as many single copies as you are in the deck usually just leads to not having access to the card you need, when you need it. That problem is diminished in Warlock a little since you draw so many cards, but still. I think you should playtest the deck, and pay close attention to which of the 1 off cards are performing poorly, and then swap them out for 2nd copies of some of the others.

Pulling Jarraxus off Voidcaller shouldn't be a concern, having a 3/15 minion on board is extremely valuable, especially when you play Taunt givers in the deck.

Ok, although I've been having good results so far, there is something off about this deck. Sometimes it just doesn't work and instead of aggression I just find myself trading my own minions for surviving and hoping for a blade fury save. Not sure about the role some cards play and maybe there are better options. Maybe it is just too focused on Mech, should I change that? 

Backstab x2

Preparation x1 (i'ts expensive!)

Deadly Poison x2

Cogmaster x2

Blade Fury x2

Eviscerate x2

Sap x1

Goblin Auto-Barber x2

Mechwarper x2

Cogmaster's Wrench x2

Fan of Knives x1

Harvest Golem x2

Iron Sensei x2

Tinker's Sharpsword Oil x2

Arcane Nullifier X-21 x2

Azure Drake x2

Sprint x1

Some thoughts:

About Azulli Drake: no doubts an anwesome card. Amazing vs Priests. I'm not using its full potential tho (spell damage +1 hardly ever serves me)

About Iron Sensei: I find it most often turning the board in my favor. However, it severely increases my needs for mechs. I still think that in the current stage of this deck, Iron Sensei is better than SI:7. I might be wrong. Also, Iron Sensei + Arcane Nullifier X-21 creates a huge board pressure.

About Preparation: Broken card rogue-wise, but since there aren't that many spells that benefit from it on this deck I should either remove it from the deck or maybe add another Sprint. This is an important change.

About Cogmaster's Wrench: another card that creates a need for mechs on the board. Maybe removing 1 and adding a Sprint would be good for the deck. Helps the problem above.

About Fan of Knives: is it better than Sap? I'm still testing. Likeing.

About Conceal: is it worth it? -1 Sap -1 Fan of Knives +2 Conceal?

Thanks guys biggrin.png

I definitely think cutting the Preparation is a decent starting point here.

Here's my suggested changes.

- 1 Prep

- 2 Cogmaster

- 1 Fan of Knives

+ 2 SI 7 Agent

+ 2 Piloted Shredder

This will slow down your starts a little bit, but it will go some way to address the lack of card draw, since it ups the curve of your deck a little, it makes you average draw bigger and more powerful, which makes your cards last longer. With access to the SI7 tempo play, you should also find yourself having to play catchup a lot less. Cogmaster is a fine card, but in a deck like this that really starts to become powerful in the midgame through Iron Sensei/Nullifier etc, I think you want to focus less on a fast start and more on making sure you really do dominate once you get momentum rolling.

Conceal is absolutely not unreasonable either, but I would only play 1 copy. You could also consider just something like a Gnomish Inventor to provide some more cycle.

You could also choose to go the other way, cut Azure Drake and Sprint entirely, and then top your curve out at Arcane Nullifier, add Double Jeeves, Cold Blood, Conceal etc and turn it into a more all-in Aggro deck. There's really a lot of things you can do with this shell.

So Mimiron's Head isn't competitively viable? In that case, should I exchange it for another big minion like Dr. Boom? And if so, should I also replace Cold Blood?

So Mimiron's Head isn't competitively viable? In that case, should I exchange it for another big minion like Dr. Boom? And if so, should I also replace Cold Blood?

You can stick with it, when I say a deck isn't competitive, I mean it's not a deck that people will be using to get high Legend ranks, or play in tournament, for mid-level ladder purposes it's totally fine if you're enjoying playing it. Honestly, part of finding a successful ladder deck is having fun with whatever you're playing, since a lot of being successful on ladder is just playing a large quantity of games.

You're absolutely right, Sottle. I shouldn't really think so much of hitting Legend, when it's more important to just enjoy the game and let ranks be a side thing. I'll find a place for Arcane Nullifier in my deck like you said. I'm also working on a mech warrior, I'll list the rough draft here:

Warbot x2

Cruel Taskmaster x2

Armorsmith x2

Bouncing Blade x2

Acolyte of Pain x2

Whirlwind x2

Fiery War Axe x2

Screwjank Clunker x1

Iron Juggernaut

Death's Bite x2

Arcane Nullifier x2

Shield Slam x2

Junkbot x1

Siege Engine x1

Dr. Boom

Crush x2

Shield Block x2

Grommash Hellscream

This deck revolves around damaging your own minions while trying to control the board. Junkbot is here to exploit the damaged/weak mechs such as the Boom Bots from Dr. Boom and Warbots. A potential synergy I want to work out is Armorsmith and Siege Engine. I don't use execute due to Crush's synergy with Whirlwind, Bouncing Blades, Cruel Taskmaster, and Death's Bite. I think Junkbot and Siege Engine could be interchange-able though, perhaps for something like Alexstrasza.

You're absolutely right, Sottle. I shouldn't really think so much of hitting Legend, when it's more important to just enjoy the game and let ranks be a side thing. I'll find a place for Arcane Nullifier in my deck like you said. I'm also working on a mech warrior, I'll list the rough draft here:

Warbot x2

Cruel Taskmaster x2

Armorsmith x2

Bouncing Blade x2

Acolyte of Pain x2

Whirlwind x2

Fiery War Axe x2

Screwjank Clunker x1

Iron Juggernaut

Death's Bite x2

Arcane Nullifier x2

Shield Slam x2

Junkbot x1

Siege Engine x1

Dr. Boom

Crush x2

Shield Block x2

Grommash Hellscream

This deck revolves around damaging your own minions while trying to control the board. Junkbot is here to exploit the damaged/weak mechs such as the Boom Bots from Dr. Boom and Warbots. A potential synergy I want to work out is Armorsmith and Siege Engine. I don't use execute due to Crush's synergy with Whirlwind, Bouncing Blades, Cruel Taskmaster, and Death's Bite. I think Junkbot and Siege Engine could be interchange-able though, perhaps for something like Alexstrasza.

I feel crush is an exceptionally weak card. Most of the synergies with crush would work just as well with execute, yet wouldn't require the damaged minion on the board. It's too situational, and the pay off isn't worth it. 

One of the biggest strengths with mech decks are their "sticky" deathrattle minions, such as piloted shredder, piloted sky golem and harvest golem, these cards are almost always "2 for 1" minions and allow you to keep minions on the board to synergise with later. I'd imagined harvest golem would work exceptionally well with junkbot, as you can get 2 buffs from it. 

Including Alexstrasza would be good I think, as it provides a great win condition (Alex into Grommash the follow turn). 

I can definitely see games where a siege engine spirals out of control very quickly, especially if you find a way to make it stick on the board for a turn or 2. 

Hi! Let me introduce myself, I'm drafterITA, an Italian youtuber / streamer.
Since I started playing Hearthstone, around the beginning of this January (so a few weeks) I have found many many good advice here on Icy-Veins, so thanks Sottle! Keep up the good work.
Now I seek advice for my deck. I crafted your suggested Midrange/Aggro Legendary Hunter deck (https://www.icy-veins.com/hearthstone/legendary-hunter-midrange-aggro-naxx-gvg-deck) and with the upcoming Undertaker changes I was pondering if it needs adjustments..
Being assured that only the new meta will tell, I was thinking to replace the undertakers with 2 annoy o tron and the clockwork gnomes with 2 Hunter marks..
I don't have a lot of cards.. I basically disenchanted all my earned arena and booster packs cards to make this deck.

edit: I forgot to say that I'm around rank 15 in the ladder

Thank you very much for this post and the good content found on this website!
Regards,
drafter

edit: correction of a few errors, sorry for my English :)

Edited by drafterITA

Hi, I'm not sure if this is a place for a noob like me, I will try though wink.png

I just started to play recently (rank 19) and made a Paladin deck based on your beginners guide.

I would like to know if I can improve it using my other cards and what cards I can work toward.

I have:

Commons: Seal of Light, Abusive Sergeant, Explosive Sheep, Mechwarper, Scarlet Crusader, Silvermoon Guardian, Antique Healbot, Spider Tank, Windfury Harpy
Rares: Injured Blademaster

And here is my deck:
qnSIfpo.jpg?1

Hi,

I´am stuck in rank 13 for about 2 seasons. So, I think that I need some help to improve my decks.

I play mostly with Shaman and Hunter.

I have 2 Shaman decks:

I would like to know what is the better and what cards I need to change.

I have all the Naxx collection cards;

Shaman cards like:

• forked lightning
  • Mana Tide Totem 
  • Far Sight

And some rare neutrals like argent commander and epics like faceless manipulator.

About the Hunter where´s my deck: http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=93115/aggro-king

I don´t have savannah, snake trap. I only have 1 eaglehorn bow. 

About mech I have a few like: clockwork gnome, annoy-o-tron, spider tank, arcane nullifier x-21, mechanical yeti and piloted shredder.

A would like to hear your opinions! Thank You :) 

Hi, I'm not sure if this is a place for a noob like me, I will try though wink.png

I just started to play recently (rank 19) and made a Paladin deck based on your beginners guide.

I would like to know if I can improve it using my other cards and what cards I can work toward.

I have:

Commons: Seal of Light, Abusive Sergeant, Explosive Sheep, Mechwarper, Scarlet Crusader, Silvermoon Guardian, Antique Healbot, Spider Tank, Windfury Harpy

And here is my deck:
qnSIfpo.jpg?1

Do you have Naxxaramus? 

On my F2P account I've made a very budget "zoo" paladin using some of the cards from Naxx, very solid deck up to rank 10 or so.

If not, lets see what we can do.

I'd add a raid leader  and an abusive sergeant to the deck. The raid leader gives all your minions +1 attack, while the abusive sergeant is a 1turn + 2. This allows your recruits to trade up and gain value. I'd add a taunt or 2. With Naxxaramus Sludge Belcher is the best (imo), without it, you can use Senjin Shieldmasta which is a great card. Right now, I think you're curving a bit too high. Perhaps take out 1x boulderfist and 1x Stormwind

For cards to work towards:

1 . You need a strong early drop. Zombie chow is good, or shielded minibot. I'd usually run 1 chow and 2 minibots. (but 1 of each or 2 minibots is more than good enough)

2. You're lucky you've already picked up muster for battle and a knife juggler, that's a really strong combo. If you can get 2 of each of these, and then a quartermaster , that forms the basis of a really powerful paladin deck. 

3. The end goal Legendary is Tirion Fordragon, he's considered the best class-legendary in the game, so if you're still playing paladin as your main when you have enough dust, he's a very solid craft.

• Like 1

Hello :)

Though my main class is Paladin, I want to use Shaman more often & I put together a deck that got me to rank 11 (im currently rank 9 now)

I know there is room to improve so I've come here to get some advice

x1 Earth Shock

x2 Lightning Bolt

x2 Rockbiter Weapon

x2 Crackle

x1 Annoy-o-tron

x2 Flametounge Totem

x2 Whirling Zap-o-matic

x2 Powermace

x2 Hex

x2 Lightning Storm

x1 Arcane Nullifier X-21

x1 Mechanical Yetty

x2 Piloted Shredder

x1 Doomhammer

x1 Antique Healbot

x2 Azure Drake

x2 Fire Elemental

Dr. Boom

Al'Akir the Windlord

I have all the Shaman commons & most rares, no epics other then Doomhammer & no Neptulon

I have most of the more used legends, Sylvanas, Cairne, Black Knight, Ragnaros & Sneed's Old Shredder.

A few neutral epics & the more used rares.

I also have the Naxx cards

Hi! I'm rather new to Hearthstone, and at the moment will only be able to use gold, as work doesn't pick up for a few months. I'm grateful for this site, and the Basic deck for Rogue seems to be working well, but I was wondering if there were any cards I could use in addition to the ones for the Basic deck? I haven't crafted many cards but have bought quite a few decks. I have Rogue up to a level 22 at the moment if this helps. I know this may be a bit vague, and if so I apologize!

Hi! I'm rather new to Hearthstone, and at the moment will only be able to use gold, as work doesn't pick up for a few months. I'm grateful for this site, and the Basic deck for Rogue seems to be working well, but I was wondering if there were any cards I could use in addition to the ones for the Basic deck? I haven't crafted many cards but have bought quite a few decks. I have Rogue up to a level 22 at the moment if this helps. I know this may be a bit vague, and if so I apologize!

I'm not a Rogue specialist, but when trying to find out how to improve my own deck I found few useful places:

Hunter Crafting Guide - though there is not that much info there, so you may want to look at hunters decks Here or Here and see what cards are commonly used to decide what is worth crafting.

It's not much, so if anyone can add something - don't hesitate!

A few Rogue cards that are a must are Eviscerate & SI:7 Agent. Both can remove minions or provide enough damage to finish your opponent. Other very common cards like Cold Blood, Azure Drake, Blade Flurry & Goblin Auto-Barber are also very good for Rogue. Best of all, said cards are all Common or Rare, which is great for when your new. Im also NOT a Rogue specialist but these cards show up over & over again when ever i face Rogue or when i have played it. Of course there's also other cards that can work so if anyone else wants to pitch in that'll be great! I hope this helps!

I'm working on my mage aggro deck since GvG came out. In the current meta I've had a fair amount of success with this:

MghVbDk.png?1

The focus is simply early spell damage and good tempo.

Any feedback would be great!

I have:

And here is my deck:
qnSIfpo.jpg?1

The changes you've made the the basic deck so far are pretty reasonable.

Out of the cards you have listed, you should definitely include Spider Tank and Scarlet Crusader in place of the Razorfens, definitely an upgrade there. But you seem to have a solid understanding on how to improve on the basic build. Keep it up and work towards one of our low budget decks instead!

• Like 1