Frost AoE Mage Leveling Guide From 1 to 80 for WotLK Classic
Welcome to the Frost AoE leveling guide for Wrath of the Lich King! AoE leveling is the fastest way of reaching level 80, as you can kill many enemies at once. If you try it for the first time, it can be a bit overwhelming, but once you master this method, you will see that the time learning it pays off.
This guide will go through all the details you need to know and will also focus on the important changes WotLK has brought to the Mage's AoE abilities. Make sure to use the slider to make the guide adapt to your level.
AoE Frost Mage Level-by-Level Rotation, Talents and Trainer Skills
Move the slider below to make the guide update to your level!
Talent Tree for Leveling as AoE Frost Mage
From Level 10 on you get one talent point per level, which you can spend on your talent tree. The talent menu can be accessed via the keybind 'N' in game from Level 10 on.
- Levels 10 to 14 — 5 points in Improved Fireball
- Levels 15 to 19 — 5 points in Ignite
- Level 20 — 1 point in Pyroblast
- Level 21 — 1 point in Burning Soul
At Level 22, you will get access to the required Frost AoE talents. Until then, it is recommended to play a single-target build. Improved Fireball will make your Fireball cast faster. Ignite makes your Critical Strikes with Fire spells leave a damage-over-time effect on the target. Pyroblast is a stronger version of Fireball that can be used for pulling and leaves a DoT on the target. Burning Soul gives you spell pushback protection. At Level 22, you will need to visit the Mage trainer and unlearn your talents to respec to Frost AoE talents.
It needs to be added that before Level 22, you can also pull packs of mobs and kill them with a combination of Frost Nova, Flamestrike and Arcane Explosion, but this is harder to pull off. As this guide aims for consistency, it will recommend AoE leveling from 22 on.
- Up to Level 22 — 3 points in Ice Floes. 2 points in Improved Frostbolt, 2 points in Precision, 3 points in Permafrost, 3 points in Improved Blizzard
- Level 23 — 1 point in Icy Veins
- Level 24 — 1 point in Piercing Ice
- Levels 25 to 26 — 2 points in Arctic Reach
- Levels 27 to 29 — 3 points in Frost Channeling
At Level 22, you need to visit the Mage trainer and unlearn your talents and spend your talent points in the Frost tree. Elemental Precision gives you a lower chance that mobs of a higher level than yours resist your spells. This is very important to hit all enemies with Blizzard as not all mobs in a pull have the same level. You will take a few hits on each pull before you have Ice Barrier. The talent Frost Warding gives you more armor and reduces the incoming damage from melee hits while pulling. Permafrost slows your enemies 10% more and 3 seconds longer. With Improved Blizzard, Blizzard will keep enemies slowed down by 60% for 4.5 seconds. Ice Floes gives you extra security, as it reduces your Frost Nova cooldown.
Icy Veins protects your spells from pushback and increases your casting speed by 20% for 20 seconds. Piercing Ice increases all Frost damage you deal by 2% per talent point. Arctic Reach gives a 20% range and radius increase for Blizzard and Frost Nova, which both makes your pulls a lot safer. With Frost Channeling, your spells cost 10% less Mana. Especially at lower gear levels, this Mana cost decrease is very noticeable and this talent helps a lot.
- Level 30 — 1 point in Cold Snap
- Levels 31 to 32 — 2 points in Piercing Ice
- Levels 33 to 35 — 3 points in Ice Shards
- Level 36 — 1 point in Precision
- Levels 37 & 38 — 2 points in Cold as Ice
- Level 39 — 1 point in Shatter
With Cold Snap you can reset the cooldown of all your Frost abilities. Having a second Ice Block, Frost Nova, Icy Veins, or Cone of Cold can be lifesaving in hairy situations. Ice Shards increases the Critical Strike damage bonus of you Frost spells by 100%. Since Blizzard can crit in WotLK, this is very good for your damage and will be important later on when two other important talents are available. The Cold as Ice talent reduces the cooldown of Cold Snap, Ice Barrier, and Summon Water Elemental by 20%, which is basically a survivability talent. With Blizzard being able to crit, Shatter is the first of two talents that make you Blizzard a lot stronger.
- Level 41 — 1 point in Ice Barrier
- Levels 41 & 42 — 2 points in Shatter
- Levels 43 & 44 — 2 points in Arctic Winds
- Levels 45 & 46 — 2 points in Fingers of Frost
- Levels 47 to 49 — 3 points in Arctic Winds
Ice Barrier is your second shield spell. If you have shields up while getting hit by an enemy, you will not get dazed and you will not suffer from spell pushback. In any dangerous situation, this very useful spell can save your life! The two points in Shatter are important to have together with the upcoming Fingers of Frost talent and as you can use it together with Frost Nova and Flamestrike+Cone of Cold for a so-called shatter combo (Nova, Flamestrike the mobs and instantly Cone of Cold, so both Flamestrike and Cone of Cold will benefit from the Critical Strike bonus). The two points in Arctic Winds increase your damage and reduce the chance to get hit by 1% per point. The biggest damage talent is Fingers of Frost. It procs from Improved Blizzard and treats your next two spells as if the target was frozen, applying the 50% crit from Shatter. If you pull enough mobs, Fingers of Frost will be active basically permanently when you Blizzard, making your Blizzard a lot deadlier.
- Level 50 — 1 point in Summon Water Elemental
- Levels 51 to 53 — 3 points in Winter's Chill
- Level 54 to 56 — 3 points in Enduring Winter
- Levels 55 to 57 — 3 points in Chilled to the Bone
The Summon Water Elemental ability will summon a Water Elemental that fights for you for 45 seconds and has an immensely-useful ability called Freeze, which is basically a ranged Frost Nova that you can place anywhere around you. On top of that, this pet also deals decent damage and can be used twice in a row with Cold Snap. Aside from giving you another Frost Nova, the Water Elemental can also Waterbolt enemies that resisted your Frost Nova to keep them away from you. Of course it can also be used to finish off low health enemies. The Water Elemental is controlled with key bindings you can change to your liking. Directly connected to the Water Elemental is the Enduring Winter talent, which allows your Elemental to stay alive for 15 more seconds. On top of that, Frostbolt gives you the Replenishment buff, which restores 1% of your maximum Mana per 5 sec for 15 sec. This buff applies to yourself and to your group and can also be triggered by quick Frostbolt Rank 1.
The 3 points in Winter's Chill give your Frost spells an additional 5% crit for 15 seconds, after hitting them with 5 ticks of Blizzard. Chilled to the Bone makes your slow effects 2% stronger per talent point, which will lead to a 10% increased slow when fully talented. This will make Blizzard a 70% slow instead of a 60% and make your life a little easier.
- Level 60 — 1 point in Deep Freeze
- Level 61 & 62 — 2 points in Chilled to the Bone
- Levels 63 & 64 — 2 points in Arcane Subtlety
- Levels 65 to 67 — 3 points in Arcane Focus
- Levels 68 & 69 — 2 points in Arcane Concentration
Deep Freeze acts as an emergency button when you need to crowd control a mob that was not slowed, as it stuns for 5 seconds. Chilled to the Bone makes your slow effects 2% stronger per talent point, which will lead to a 10% increased slow when fully talented. This will make Blizzard a 70% slow instead of a 60% and make your life a little easier. The Arcane Subtlety is neat if you do dungeon content with groups, allowing your Arcane Explosion to do 40% less threat and Arcane Focus is the Arcane spell complement of Precision. While these are mostly filler Arcane talents, Arcane Concentration is what we are here for. This talent gives you a 2% increased chance per talent point to enter a clearcasting state, which will make your next damage spell cost 100% less Mana.
- Level 70 to 72 — 3 points in Arcane Concentration
- Level 73 to 75 — 3 points in Incineration
- Levels 76 & 77 — 2 points in Improved Fire Blast
- Levels 78 to 80 — 3 points in World in Flames
We finish the Arcane Concentration is for the clearcasting chance and then swap into the Fire tree. There we find Incineration, which increases the Critical Strike chance of Cone of Cold and Fire Blast by 6% and we take the Improved Fire Blast to have an additional finishing spell available more frequently. The final three points go into a World in Flames, which increases the Critical Strike chance of Blizzard, Flamestrike and Arcane Explosion by 6%, which is interesting for solo leveling and group play.
In Wrath you will be able to unlock Glyphs that improve your abilities at the following levels:
- Level 15 unlocks your first Major and Minor Glyphs;
- Level 30 unlocks your second Major Glyph;
- Level 50 unlocks your second Minor Glyph;
- Level 70 unlocks your third Minor Glyph;
- Level 80 unlocks your third Major Glyph.
- Cast Arcane Intellect and Frost Armor if you are missing their buffs.
- Cast Arcane Intellect and Frost Armor if you are missing their buffs. Use Mana Shield to avoid death. If you have enough Mana, use it also for pulling.
- Cast Arcane Intellect and Ice Armor if you are missing their buffs. Use Mana Shield to avoid death. If you have enough Mana, use it for pulling.
- Cast Arcane Intellect and Ice Armor if you are missing their buffs. Only use Mage Armor if you reliably survive pulling with it. Use Mana Shield to avoid death. If you have enough Mana, use it for pulling.
- Cast Arcane Intellect and Ice Armor if you are missing their buffs. Only use Mage Armor if you reliably survive pulling with it. Use Ice Barrier to avoid death and for pulling.
- Cast Arcane Intellect and Ice Armor if you are missing their buffs. Only use Molten Armor or Mage Armor if you reliably survive pulling with it. Use Ice Barrier to avoid death and for pulling.
- Cast Fireball as your main attack.
- Cast Frostbolt as your main attack.
- Cast Fireball as your main attack.
- Cast Frostbolt as your main attack.
- Cast Fireball as your main attack.
- Pull with Pyroblast and cast Fireball as your main attack.
- Body pull packs of melee enemies, while taking care not to overextend as it is dangerous and in WotLK you have an AoE cap. Start with 2-3 mobs and slowly work out how many more you can pull. Fire Blast can be used to add more enemies to your pulls.
- Body pull packs of melee enemies, while taking care not to overextend as it is dangerous and in WotLK you have an AoE cap. Start with 2-3 mobs and slowly work out how many more you can pull. Fire Blast and Counterspell can be used to add more enemies to your pulls.
- Freeze enemies with Frost Nova and walk or Blink to gain distance from them.
- Freeze enemies with Frost Nova. If any resist, use Cold Snap to Frost Nova them again. Walk or Blink to gain distance from them.
- Freeze enemies with Frost Nova. If any resist, use Cold Snap to Frost Nova them again or use your Water Elemental's Freeze. Water Elemental can also attack and tank one enemy, if only one resisted. Walk or Blink to gain distance from them.
- Cast Blizzard to DPS and slow them down. If you gained enough distance, and take a few steps between the first and second Blizzard, you can do two Blizzards before Frost Nova is ready again to freeze them. Gain distance again and Blizzard them. Repeat this step until enemies are either dead or low health. If needed Cone of Cold the mobs to extend the slow before Frost Nova is ready again.
- Arcane Explosion and / or Wand low health enemies down.
- Arcane Explosion, Cone of Cold and / or Wand low health enemies down. Frost Nova and Shatter can make this very easy.
- Arcane Explosion, Cone of Cold and / or Wand low health enemies down. Frost Nova and Shatter can make this very easy. Send your Water Elemental after low HP enemies.
- Cast Frostbolt as your main single-target attack, if required.
- Cast Icy Veins to increase your cast speed and protect yourself against spell pushback whenever needed.
If enemies come close to you, use Frost Nova to keep distance between you and them.
You can make your own food and water with Conjure Food and Conjure Water. These spells should definitely be learned, as water and food from vendors will cost you far more gold than these spells do. Sometimes other players even want to buy conjured water and you can gain a little extra gold. Conjured items disappear after 15 minutes of being logged out.
You can make your own food and water with Conjure Refreshment. This spell should definitely be learned, as water and food from vendors will cost you far more gold than this spell does. Sometimes other players even want to buy conjured water and you can gain a little extra gold. Conjured items disappear after 15 minutes of being logged out.
The AoE grinding video by k4li from 2006 gives you an example of how to do AoE pulls and an overview of the best AoE grinding spots in Azeroth. Below we also have a list of AoE grinding spots in WotLK for you, which adjusts to your level by using the slider on top of this page.
From Level 70 on solo Dungeon leveling with a Living Bomb Fire build becomes a very, if not the most viable leveling strategy for Fire Mages. Otherwise, continue looking at the AoE grinding spots in WotLK and respeccing into Fire talents. Even though Fire is more efficient at the pulls in Utgarde Keep, your current Frost AoE spec can also do the UK farm with an extra layer of security through Ice Barrier, however it will be slightly slower.
Summary of Trainer Skills for AoE Frost Mage
- At Level 1, buy Arcane Intellect as soon as you can afford it. It provides a significant boost to your Intellect which lasts for 30 minutes.
- At Level 4, buy Conjure Water and Frostbolt. Conjure Water creates free water you can use while leveling and to sell to others. Frostbolt deals single-target damage and slows the target.
- At Level 6, buy Conjure Food, Fireball and Fire Blast. Fire Blast can be used early on as a damage spell in your rotation, however, it costs a lot of Mana. Later on, it is used for AoE pulling.
- At Level 8, buy Polymorph and Frostbolt. Polymorph Rank 1 allows you to take one humanoid or beast enemy out of combat for 20 seconds, which is very useful for looting quest items guarded by a single enemy or when dealing with several enemies. Only one enemy at a time can be Polymorphed and, in WotLK, crowd control effects can break at any time with an increasingly-higher chance to break toward the end of the effect.
- At Level 10, learn Conjure Water, Frost Armor, and Frost Nova. Frost Nova freezes nearby enemies for 8 seconds, allowing you to regain distance on them and to gain a damage bonus through Shatter when re-engaging. In these low levels, the damage component of Frost Nova can also be used to finish one enemy off and freeze another enemy to engage them with Frostbolt if you are fighting multiple enemies.
- At Level 12, buy Conjure Food, Fireball and Slow Fall. Slow Fall slows your falling speed at the cost of a Light Feather. With Glyph of Slow Fall the feather requirement is gone. This spell comes in handy to avoid fall damage and enable shortcuts that would otherwise lead to death.
- At Level 14, buy Arcane Explosion , Arcane Intellect and Frostbolt. Arcane Explosion is used to finish off enemies. It is an instant-cast ability.
- At Level 15, buy Glyph of Arcane Missiles and choose between Glyph of Arcane Intellect, Glyph of Frost Armor and Glyph of Slow Fall.
- At Level 18, buy Fireball and Remove Curse. Remove Curse is a bit niche for leveling as you will rarely get cursed. However, IF you or a friend get cursed, you do not want to miss this ability.
- At Level 20, buy Blink, Polymorph, Frost Armor, Conjure Water, Frostbolt, Evocation, Mana Shield, Blizzard and Frostbolt. Further, buy Glyph of Evocation, as this one of the best glyphs available for leveling.
- At Level 20 in Wrath of the Lich King you can also buy your 60% mount. Pulling mounted makes pulling easier and safer.
- In Stormwind, Ironforge, Exodar (Alliance) and Orgrimmar, Undercity, Silvermoon (Horde) you can now buy the teleport spells for each city.
- Each Teleport spell requires you to use one Rune of Teleportation, which can be bought at any reagent vendor. You can find reagent vendors by clicking the magnifier button on the mini map. They will be automatically displayed there on the mini map if you are close to a Reagent Vendor. Teleport spells can save a lot of travel time and make learning new spells very convenient, as they teleport you to Mage trainers. Evocation is another great spell you will never want to miss. It restores 60% of your total Mana within 8 seconds. Use this ability as often as you can, as this will also increase your leveling speed by not having to drink. With Glyph of Evocation this spell also restores 60% of your life. Blink is a utility spell that allows you to travel 20 yards instantly. Glyph of Blink increases the range to 25 yards, which can be very helpful for gaining distance in AoE pulls. It removes rooting effects and most stuns from you. Use it together with Frost Nova to get away from enemies. You can Blink instead of walking as a tactical spell in dungeons to reposition. Other applications of Blink are to skip enemies and to prevent death from falling. When falling down from somewhere, Blink can be used shortly before hitting the ground to avoid fall damage, but with Glyph of Slow Fall, you can also just Slow Fall without the need for a Light Feather. Mana Shield will avoid cast time pushback and will absorb damage in dangerous situations. However, it costs Mana, so only when really needed. Blizzard is your main AoE damage spell while AoE leveling, it slows enemies by 60% for 4.5 seconds and does damage.
- At Level 22, buy Arcane Explosion and Conjure Food
- At Level 24, buy Counterspell. Counterspell instantly interrupts enemy casts and prevents spells of the interrupted school from being cast for 10 seconds. This ability has a 30-second cooldown and can also be used to range pull enemies.
- At Level 26, buy Frostbolt, Frost Nova and Cone of Cold. Cone of Cold slows enemies in front of you with a frontal cone. In conjunction with the Shatter talent and a Frost Nova, it can deal severe damage to groups of enemies or finish them off. It can also be used defensively to flee from a dangerous situation, since it is instant-cast and slows enemies for 11 seconds. If you use it as a defensive ability, always use rank 1 to save Mana.
- At Level 28, buy Blizzard, Arcane Intellect, Mana Shield, and Conjure Mana Gem. This is the first out of six spells that create Mana Gems, which can be used in and out of combat to instantly restore Mana. These gems do not share a cooldown with Mana Potions, have a 2-minute cooldown, and are consumed on use. Except for the last ranks of this spell, these gems cost more Mana to make than they restore, so only use the first four ranks if really needed.
- At Level 30, buy Ice Armor, Ice Block, Arcane Explosion, Conjure Water, and Teleport: Darnassus (Alliance) or Teleport: Thunder Bluff (Horde) at the respective city's portal trainers. Ice Armor is a better version of Frost Armor. Ice Block can be used to pull enemies, to buy time if you get into hairy situations. It can be used to remove debuffs on you or avoid any kind of damage, except for some boss abilities at Level 80.
- At Level 32, buy Conjure Food and Frostbolt.
- At Level 34, buy Mage Armor and Cone of Cold. Mage Armor makes 30% of your Mana regeneration continue while casting, which is good. However, only use Mage Armor when you are safe at doing your AoE pulls without dying, as mobs do not get slowed by Mage Armor like Ice Armor used to and you will have less armor.
- At Level 35 Portal: Theramore and Teleport: Theramore is available to learn for Alliance players in Theramore while Horde players can learn Portal: Stonard/ Teleport: Stonard in Stonard. The Stonard portal is useful later on to get to Karazhan fast.
- At Level 36, buy Blizzard and Mana Shield.
- At Level 38, buy Arcane Explosion, Conjure Mana Gem and Frostbolt.
- At Level 40, buy Conjure Water, Frost Nova, Ice Armor and Polymorph. At Level 40, you can also start to buy the portal spells for each major city, except for Darnassus and Thunder Bluff. These become trainable at Level 50. Portals use Rune of Portals from reagent vendors and can be used by anyone in your group.
- At Level 40 in Wrath of the Lich King you can also buy your 100% mount. Pulling mounted makes pulling easier and safer.
- At Level 42, buy Arcane Intellect, Conjure Food, and Cone of Cold.
- At Level 44, buy Blizzard, Frostbolt and Mana Shield.
- At Level 46, buy Mage Armor, Arcane Explosion and Ice Barrier.
- At Level 48, buy Conjure Mana Gem.
- At Level 50, buy Conjure Water, Frostbolt, Cone of Cold and Ice Armor. Mage Trainers in Darnassus (Alliance) and Thunder Bluff (Horde) now also offer the portal spells to these cities. Choose between Glyph of Arcane Intellect, Glyph of Frost Armor and Glyph of Slow Fall.
- At Level 52, buy Conjure Food, Mana Shield, Blizzard and Ice Barrier.
- At Level 54, buy Frost Nova Arcane Explosion
- At Level 56, buy Arcane Intellect, Arcane Brilliance, and Frostbolt. Arcane Brilliance buffs your whole group with Arcane Intellect and requires one Arcane Powder from reagent vendors per cast.
- At Level 58, buy Conjure Mana Gem, Cone of Cold, Mage Armor and Ice Barrier.
- At Level 60, buy Conjure Food, Conjure Water, Ice Armor, Frostbolt, Blizzard, Polymorph and Mana Shield. Teleport: Shattrath can be learned in the middle of Shattrath (Alliance and Horde). In Outland you can buy better Filtered Draenic Water at Level 60 and Purified Draenic Water at Level 65, which are both better than the conjured Level 60 water. The Level 65 food Clefthoof Ribs is also better than the conjured Level 60 food.
- At Level 62, buy Arcane Explosion.
- At Level 63, buy Frostbolt.
- At Level 64, buy Ice Barrier.
- At Level 65, buy Conjure Water, Cone of Cold and Portal: Shattrath in the middle of Shattrath (Alliance and Horde).
- At Level 66, buy Ice Lance. It does 3 times normal damage to frozen targets and can be used to finish off single frozen mobs. Further, it is also very good for pulling additional enemies from afar.
- At Level 67, buy Frost Nova.
- At Level 68, buy Blizzard Invisibility, Mana Shield, and Conjure Mana Gem. Invisibility is a new spell that takes 3 seconds to make you invisible. During that time, you fade, which is useful in Dungeon groups, as it reduces your threat against all targets each second until you finally become invisible and drop combat. This spell can also be used to sneak by enemies and reach a quest spot earlier, or to flee and avoid death. The new Mana Emerald contains 3 charges and restores more Mana than it takes to conjure. You can use it like the old gems, but also use it in between to regenerate Mana.
- At Level 69, buy Frostbolt, Mage Armor, Ice Armor.
- At Level 70, buy Frostbolt, Ice Barrier, Arcane Intellect, and Arcane Explosion, and Spellsteal, Arcane Brilliance, Conjure Food and Conjure Water. Learning Rank 9 of Conjure Water and Rank 8 of Conjure Food is most important, because these two spells unlock Ritual of Refreshment at your trainer. Ritual of Refreshment uses two Arcane Powders per cast and summons a table which gives everyone who uses it up to 80 Conjured Mana Biscuits. Most Innkeepers now also offer you Pungent Seal Whey at Level 70 and Honeymint Tea at Level 75, which are both better than the conjured Level 70 water. Spellsteal steals one beneficial magic effect from your target, which you can benefit from for a maximum of two minutes. There are a few, but not too many good spells you can steal. Choose between Glyph of Arcane Intellect, Glyph of Frost Armor and Glyph of Slow Fall.
- At Level 71, buy Molten Armor and Mage Armor. Teleport: Dalaran becomes available from the Mage trainers in Dalaran.
- At Level 72, buy Ice Lance and Cone of Cold.
- At Level 73, buy Mana Shield
- At Level 74, buy Blizzard. Portal: Dalaran becomes available from the Mage trainers in Dalaran.
- At Level 75, buy Conjure Refreshment, Frost Nova, Ice Barrier, and Frostbolt.
- At Level 76, buy Dampen Magic and Arcane Explosion.
- At Level 77, buy Conjure Mana Gem.
- At Level 77, buy Ice Lance.
- At Level 79, buy Molten Armor, Frostbolt, Mage Armor, Ice Armor, Cone of Cold and Mana Shield.
- At Level 80, buy Mirror Image, Blizzard, Arcane Intellect, Ice Barrier, Arcane Brilliance, Conjure Refreshment, Ritual of Refreshment, and Arcane Explosion. Your third Major Glyph will be available at Level 80. If you plan to play PvE, check the talents guide in link below for more Glyph information.
Best AoE Grinding Spots for Frost Mages
Most, if not all places in Azeroth, Outland and Northrend could be used for AoE Grinding, as long as you keep your pulls to melee enemies without dangerous abilities. Still, some tend to be better than others, assuming equal levels of competition and PvP activities involved. Addons that show map coordinates, such as MapCoords by JimBim89 will help you find the recommended grinding spots.
Adjust your level slider above in order to see the grinding spots recommended for your level.
- First grinding spot is at Level 14.
- At this point, even if you are already pulling two enemies at once with Arcane Explosion, it is best to quest normally, as it will be faster and safer than AoE Grinding with your small toolkit.
- Level 22 Gnolls around 62, 60 in Wetlands. Alliance favored spot.
- Level 22 Humans around 33, 42 in Hillsbrad Foothills. Horde-only spot as enemies are Alliance-friendly.
- Level 24 Skeletons and Spiders around 24, 41 in Duskwood. Alliance favored spot.
- Level 26 Humans around 27, 56 in Hillsbrad Foothills. Horde-only spot as enemies are Alliance-friendly.
- Level 28 Worgen around 70, 71 in Duskwood. Alliance favored spot.
- Level 33 Silithid around 68, 83 in Thousand Needles. Typically Horde favored spot.
- Level 31-32 Humans around 57, 37 in Arathi Highlands. Horde-only spot as enemies are Alliance-friendly.
- Level 34 Orcs around 59, 54 in Arathi Highlands. Alliance-only spot as enemies are Horde-friendly.
- Level 38 Raptors spread out across Stranglethorn Vale. Try between 31, 23 and 37,19, or between 23,48 and 33,37.
- Level 40 Birds around 16, 60 in Badlands.
- Level 41 Humans around 59, 24 in Tanaris.
- Level 42 Murlocs around 85, 80 in Swamp of Sorrows.
- Level 44 Humans around 72, 46 in Tanaris.
- Level 46 Snakes and Turtles inside Maraudon. Requires Scepter of Celebras. This video, by Exehn, showcases how to do it perfectly. Can still be done even with the dungeon nerfs, you just need to kill them quick enough before they get speed buffed.
- Level 51 Undead around 37, 56 and 49, 77 in Western Plaguelands.
- Level 53 Undead around 47, 53 in Western Plaguelands.
- Level 56 Humans in Hearthglen, around 46, 15 in Western Plaguelands. ODB has made a nice video of the pull.
- Levels 58 to 61 Birds around 59, 73 in Hellfire Peninsula
- Levels 60 to 64 Orcs around 43, 69 and Birds around 27, 50 in Hellfire Peninsula
- Levels 61 to 65 Orcs around 50, 57 in Hellfire Peninsula
- Levels 61 to 65 Birds around 47, 15 and 58, 25, and more Humanoids around 34, 54 in Terokkar Forest
- Levels 61 to 65 Bloodscale Naga around 27, 47 and 63,40 in Zangarmarsh
- Levels 64 to 67 Humanoids around 32, 45 and 69, 80, and Beasts all over Nagrand.
- Levels 67 to 70 Ethereals around 31, 76 in Netherstorm.
- Levels 68 to 70 Demon Hunters around 69, 51 in Shadowmoon Valley.
- Levels 68 to 70 Ashtongue Draenei around 59, 37 in Shadowmoon Valley.
- GuideMMO has made a nice video showing most of the Outland Aoe Farms .
- Levels 68 to 70 Beasts around 48, 73 in Borean Tundra.
- Levels 70 to 79 The Utgarde 3-Pull by Esquire is rather easy with some practice and gives very good XP. The Utgarde 1-Pull by Perruda gives slightly less XP but is a lot faster. This allows you to level in Northrend after doing 5 runs in around 25 minutes and then returning to Utgarde Keep again. It is recommended to have Engineering for this, because Rocket Boots Xtreme Lite help a lot with these pulls. The same goes for Glyph of Blink which we highly recommend for that pull.
- Levels 70 to 79 the The Slave Pens Heroic farm by Fp requires the Reservoir Key and is more XP per hour than the solo Utgarde Keep, if you manage to do each run in 12 minutes or less. However, this run is hard to pull off and caters more towards real Mage experts. There is also an experience sheet and a leveling build linked in the description. It is recommended to have Engineering for this, because Rocket Boots Xtreme Lite help a lot with these pulls. The first pull, the 65 mobs pull, gives around the same amount of XP as Utgarde Keep, so everything beyond that pull is just bonus XP.
- Levels 70 to 71 Humanoids from 7 to 1 o'clock around Kaskala (around 61, 46) in Borean Tundra.
- Levels 70 to 71 Humanoids around 71, 69 in Howling Fjord.
- Levels 72 to 73 Humanoids around 71, 81 in Dragonblight.
- Levels 72 to 73 Undead around 51, 33 and 58,30 in Dragonblight.
- Levels 73 to 76 Beasts around 68,27 and 55, 30 in Grizzly Hills.
- Levels 74 to 77 Beasts around 37, 53 in Zul'Drak.
- Levels 75 to 76 Humanoids around 35, 45 in Sholazar Basin.
- Levels 77 to 79 Beasts around 65, 44 in The Storm Peaks.
- Levels 78 to 80 Undead around 43, 52 in Icecrown.
AoE Grinding Gear, Stats and Questing
AoE Grinding Mages that level purely by pulling groups of mobs and killing them solo will mostly have to do with Uncommon gear and weapons that drop. Early on, you should be looking to get of the Eagle items, which have Intellect and Stamina, which are the stats you should focus on the most! When you are visiting your Mage trainer, it never hurts to check the Auction House for good and cheap of the Eagle items, if they are big upgrades for you.
Look for high Intellect / Stamina gear when doing Dungeons, as well, where you can use your AoE skills to help your group kill enemies fast. In most cases though, your leveling will be faster if you skip dungeon groups and just continue grinding mobs. Stats like Critical Strike rating or spell damage are partially beneficial, as Blizzard can now crit but still scales rather poor with spell damage. You need the Stamina for surviving the pulls and the Intellect gives you enough Mana for casting enough Blizzards to kill your foes.
Later on, when you have enough survivability through your abilities, adding a few items with Intellect and Spirit is possible. This can be especially helpful for regenerating more Mana, when you have the pulls down.
When doing quests you should basically only do quests that are related to killing AoE farmable mobs or give really good gear rewards. Never bother with quests whose objectives do not involve AoE farming or quests whose quest items have a very low drop rate. Travelling long ways to do one quest is also almost always inferior to grinding.
Making Gold from Grinding, Professions and Level 80 Grinding
As you will kill enemies, you will loot a lot of items of any quality. To prevent you from running to the next vendor and thereby reducing your experience per hour from AoE grinding, it is recommended to keep your bags big and tidy. That means you should always try to have big sized bags with lots of space in them. The gold or cloth you will need for that will come with time from your AoE grinding. For selling these more easily, you can make a Level 1 alt and run it to the nearest major city to access the Auction House. For Alliance players, Humans are closest to a major city, for Horde players, Trolls and Orcs are really close to a major city as well. Run your Human alt to Stormwind and your Orc/Troll to Orgrimmar. Now you have a mule you can send all your goods you get from AoE farming to. Mails to alts on the same account are instant in WotLK and will stay for 30 days before being returned. While drinking and eating between AoE pulls, you can sort the items in your inventory you want to vendor when you Hearthstone to a nearby inn.
Another trick that can be used is choosing Skinning and Mining or Enchanting as professions. At very low levels, you can disenchant all the Uncommon items you will get, usually for good profits. In many of the AoE grinding locations, there are constant ore respawns, which you can mine. Smelt these ores into bars, as these usually have a higher market value than ores and send them to your Level 1 alt to sell on the AH. Many of your AoE grinding mobs also are skinnable, which makes Skinning a good passive income profession.
Two professions that actually increases your leveling speed are First Aid and Engineering. With Iron Grenades you can increase your damage output significantly at lower levels. At any level, the stun from grenades can be very useful. However, leveling this profession costs you gold instead of making you gold, so this is rather for wealthy players than for beginners. With First Aid, you sometimes can survive failed pulls by healing yourself rapidly with Bandages.
Once you have made it to Level 80, most of the Northrend AoE locations can still be used for gold making, as some of them drop items of interest, such as reputation items, Uncommon, Rare and even Epic items, cloth, potions and many more. With the release of Wrath of the Lich King, all these items will be in high demand and the AoE Farming meta will develop.
Additional Frost Mage Information After Reaching Level 80
After you reached Level 80, there is still a lot to learn. Our Frost Mage PvE Guide covers the most relevant and up-to-date information about your Frost Mage spells, talents, rotation, gear, and much more.
- 25 Sep. 2022: Added new one-pull UK video and more information.
- 22 Sep. 2022: Added level 70-80 top leveling strategies.
- 19 Sep. 2022: Page added.
- Season of Discovery Global Launch Times: When Does the Update Go Live?
- Icy Veins Launches Genshin Impact Guides Section
- Honor Decay Removed In Season of Discovery and Classic Era
- Season of Discovery Launch Times
- Season of Discovery Will Launch With Fewer Realms
- Icecrown Citadel Player Buff Coming Early December
- Battle.net Black Friday Sale: Up to 67% Off
- Blizzard Explain Why Classic Hardcore Servers Are Down Longer