Koralon the Flame Watcher Encounter Guide: Strategy, Abilities, Loot
Overview of Koralon the Flame Watcher in Wrath of the Lich King
Koralon the Flame Watcher is the third boss available inside the Vault of Archavon in Phase 3 of WotLK. Koralon the Flame Watcher is a Fire based mob, using multiple spells and abilities based on that element. Koralon himself drops Chests, Gloves and Legs for PvP and PvE sets. On 10-player, these will be item level 232 and on 25-player these will be item level 245. You are able to run both 10-player and 25-player versions of the raid weekly, so be sure and run both every week for the highest chance of getting loot.
Role-Specific Tips for Koralon the Flame Watcher
- Ranged DPS should spread out to avoid fire patches from hitting multiple people.
- Melee DPS need to be sure they are completely behind the boss and attacking from max range to avoid taking damage from Meteor Fists.
- Melee DPS should be watching their feet at all times, ready to move out of any fire patches that spawn.
- Spread out throughout the room to prevent fire patches from spawning under DPS players.
- Save major healing/defensive cooldowns for the Burning Breaths so you can quickly top the raid back up.
- Be mindful of the tanks health, especially the off-tank, during the Meteor Fists duration.
- Be mindful of any patches of fire that spawn. Tanks will need to move the boss frequently to prevent melee DPS from standing in fire.
- Make sure the tanks are stacked very closely together to split the damage from Meteor Fists, especially if you are moving the boss.
Koralon the Flame Watcher Abilities
- Meteor Fists — Koralon gains the Meteor Fists buff, splitting his attacks with a nearby target.
- Burning Breath — Deals moderate Fire damage to all enemies.
- Flaming Cinder — Places a patch of fire on the ground, dealing moderate Fire damage to any nearby enemies every second.
- Burning Fury — Increases all damage dealt by 5% per stack, gaining a new stack every 20 seconds.
Strategy for Koralon the Flame Watcher
Koralon the Flame Watcher is the easiest fight in the raid instance. Use any Fire resistance buffs available, such as Fire Resistance Aura or Fire Resistance Totem to greatly reduce the damage taken during this fight. Burning Fury acts as a soft enrage, gradually increasing Koralons damage done throughout the fight. This will increase the damage tanks take through Meteor Fists and the damage the whole raid takes from Flaming Cinder. Simply blow all of your major DPS cooldowns right away and quickly burn down Koralon before his damage overwhelms the raid.
Tanks need to be sure to stack tightly together to split the damage from Meteor Fists, especially if you need to reposition the boss away from any Flaming Cinders. Ranged DPS and healers simply want to spread out around the room, while melee DPS make sure to attack from max range behind the boss to avoid being targeted by Meteor Fists. Melee DPS will also need to split up as much as possible and be ready to move out of any Flaming Cinders.
Koralon the Flame Watcher Loot
This boss drops Tier 9 PvE Chest, Hands, and Legs Tier pieces (identical to those from Trial of the Crusader); as well as Season 6 PvP Hands and Legs for your PvP sets and a few non-set PvP pieces, such as wrists and feet. In the 10-player version two item level 232 gear pieces drops, such as: Furious Gladiator's Chain Gauntlets and Furious Gladiator's Chain Leggings for PvP gear sets and Windrunner's Handguards of Conquest or Windrunner's Legguards of Conquest for PvE gear sets depending on your faction. For a full list of what available gear drops you desire, be sure to check out your class-specific PvE and PvP guides.
On 25-player difficulty, this boss will drop four pieces of 245 item level gear, such as: Furious Gladiator's Chain Gauntlets and Relentless Gladiator's Plate Gauntlets for PvP gear sets and a few non-set pieces, like wrists and feet; or Garona's Gauntlets of Triumph and Garona's Legplates of Triumph for PvE gear sets, depending on your faction. For a full list of what available gear drops you desire, be sure to check out your class-specific PvE and PvP guides. In addition to the gear drops, on 25-player difficulty, Koralon the Flame Watcher also has a small chance of dropping the Reins of the Grand Black War Mammoth/ Reins of the Grand Black War Mammoth, a very large, multiple person mammoth mount.
Koralon the Flame Watcher Achievements in Wrath of the Lich King
|Koralon the Flame Watcher (10 player)
|Defeat Koralon the Flame Watcher in 10 player mode.
|Koralon the Flame Watcher (25 player)
|Defeat Koralon the Flame Watcher in 25 player mode.
Koralon the Flame Watcher is just one of the four encounters eventually present in the Vault of Archavon raid of Wrath of the Lich King. If you would like to learn more about the others, please see our other pages for the raid below.
- 06 May 2023: Page added.
- Season of Discovery XP Buff Is Live Now!
- WoW Classic Era Maintenance Notes: February 6th
- Blizzard Teases Cozy Sleeping Bag for SoD Phase 2
- Timeline of Blizzard Presidents
- New World Buff Coming in Season of Discovery Phase 2
- A List of All Runes Coming in Season of Discovery Phase 2
- Blizzard Bans GDKP Runs in Season of Discovery Starting February 8
- NO GDKP Runs in Season of Discovery Phase 2