Gunbreaker Tank Rotation, Openers, and Abilities — Endwalker 6.55
On this page, you will learn how to optimise your opener and rotation in both single-target and multi-target situations. We also cover the use of your cooldowns, to ensure you can achieve the best use of them every time as a Gunbreaker Tank in Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker (Patch 6.55).
Gunbreaker Rotation Overview
The Gunbreaker rotation can be boiled down to a priority system. They aim to build cartridges using weaponskills or, and spend them inside their main damage buff, . After using it, they will build up cartridges again. Other weaponskills and abilities will be used as soon as they are available so that they fit inside .
Gunbreakers gain cartridges by finishing either thecombo for single-target, or the combo for multi-target. They expend cartridges using and for single-target, for multi-target, and for both. Gunbreaker is a textbook example of a builder and spender class, and uses GCD weaponskills to do both.
Four Gunbreaker weaponskills will change thebutton into a new ability and allow you to use it until you use any other weaponskill. This is a large portion of your damage and you should always use these when available. In addition, will turn into when used, and that will turn into . Using any other combo weaponskill will break this combo. The following skills can allow successive rounds with your gunblade.
- allows the usage of ;
- allows the usage of ;
- allows the usage of ;
- allows the usage of .
Inside opener you use In every single window, you should use every one of your oGCD abilities., you should aim to use 9 GCD weaponskills and all of your abilities, though with some GCD tiers you will only be able to get 8. The order of which you use them depends on the
- Two usages of , if not used for mobility purposes
- All usages of allowed
Every even minute, you will ideally use these 9 weaponskills, usingonce you have 0 cartridges to gain 3 more.
- Three usages of
Due to the buff lasting 20 seconds, you will not get the finalinside. It is possible to use before you activate for an additional inside the buff instead in certain situations.
Every odd minute,is not available. You should aim to use these 9 weaponskills during .
has been changed to have a 2 minute cooldown in Patch 6.2. Always use it when available as long as you have 0 cartridges. If you have cartridges available and it is about to come off cooldown, expend those cartridges immediately.
During the filler phase between usages of, Gunbreakers need to build up their cartridges. They do this by using the combo. In addition, the combo and both have a 30 second cooldown, and should be used as soon as they are available. should be saved for , but it is much more important to use it for mobility purposes if needed.
In multi-target situations, replace thecombo with the combo at two or more targets. should be replaced with at two or more targets. Replace the combo with at three targets or more. All other aspects of the rotation stay the same.
During the opener, we aim to align our weaponskills and abilities underas well as our party member's raid buffs. You will find that execution of buff windows after the opener will be similar to that of the opener.
- Optionally, use Sprint before the pull to reach the boss faster if you do not need it for the first minute of an encounter.
If your internet connection is poor and you are unable to double-weave abilities in between weaponskills without clipping (delaying your next GCD), you can opt to use a single-weave opener. Keep in mind this will be a net DPS loss, and there is no way getting around having to use one double-weave here.
- Optionally use Sprint before the pull to reach the boss faster if you do not need it for a minute.
Gunbreaker Defensive Cooldowns
Gunbreaker has a plethora of defensive cooldowns to utilize in order to mitigate damage taken. This will allow you to survive heavy incoming damage in the form of tank busters, and relieve the healing burden placed on your healers in periods of heavy consistent damage such as boss auto-attacks and dungeon trash packs. Mitigation is calculated multiplicatively (i.e. two 30% reductions will result in 49% damage taken) and it is better to rotate cooldowns rather than use them all at once.
- and are your bread and butter cooldowns. You will want to rotate these on tank busters, auto-attacks if tank busters will not occur before they are back up, and trash packs.
- is the Gunbreaker's unique cooldown. It can be used similar to , and is extra effective against instances of physical damage.
- is your active mitigation ability. It grants two 15% damage reductions as well as a heal if your HP drops below 50% or if the effect expires, whichever occurs first. You will use this early and often on anything from auto-attacks to tank busters, and it can be used on a co-tank in trials and raids if they are taking a tank buster.
- is a targeted heal over time effect you can place on yourself or any party member. Use this on yourself, your co-tank, or both (it has two charges!) after taking heavy damage, or to heal up while taking consistent midrange damage.
- and are your raid mitigation abilities. Use the former against casted instances of heavy damage, and use the latter if you need to mitigate heavy raidwide magic damage.
- is your invulnerability cooldown. After a small delay, your HP is reduced to 1 and you become impervious to essentially all attacks. This can be difficult to use in a non-coordinated setting, but shines in an environment where you are able to get most of your health bar taken, use it, and heal up over the 10 second duration naturally with or 's heal effect.
- In raids and trials, should be used on multi-hit tankbusters or shared tankbusters in order to save cooldowns.
- is a useful mitigation ability for dungeons, as the applied Slow effect will greatly reduce your damage taken by trash mobs.
- can also be used to Stun trash mobs. Stuns have diminishing effects, so if you have a White Mage in your party the mobs will likely be Stun Immune due to their .
- 18 Jan. 2024: Updated for patch 6.55.
- 13 Oct. 2023: Updated for Patch 6.5
- 29 May 2023: Updated for Patch 6.4
- 12 Jan. 2023: Updated for Patch 6.3
- 09 Sep. 2022: Updated for Patch 6.2
- 20 Apr. 2022: Updated for Patch 6.1
- 16 Feb. 2022: Page added.
- Join the FFXIV Open Beta Test on Xbox Series X and S
- FFXIV x FFXVI Crossover Event: A Path Infernal - Sponsored by Butterfinger
- The Moogle Treasure Trove Returns to FFXIV with New Rewards and Challenges! - Sponsored by Butterfinger
- FFXIV - The Maidens Rhapsody: A Tribute to Final Fantasy XI
- FFXIV - Patch 6.55: What to Expect From Endwalkers Last Patch - Sponsored by Butterfinger
- FFXIV - New Hydaelyn and Zodiark Figure
- FFXIV - Pre-Order the New Endwalker Art Collection and Get a Zodiark Idol Minion
- FFXIV Dawntrail: Zones and Battle Content - Sponsored by Butterfinger