FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Liquidsteel

The Help My DPS Thread

Im trying to figure out how much of this is destro and how much is me. I really hated going back to destro from demo but oh well. 

Looking at where i am in relation to others in my raid isn't a great method, but i really am hating being so low. When i look on our logs, most of the fights im ranked in the green with my item level group. 

I know my immo uptime on some fights is just piss poor, and ill work on that. Looking at the buffs, for the most part it seems ok. What im not sure of is if I am using my embers properly or at the right time. 

the two fights however that are just absolutely awful for me are Xhul and Socrethar. From what i can see (which doesnt say much when it comes to logs lol) it seems im doing the right things, but im usually dead last on these two fights, just above tanks.

Here are some logs from this weekend.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/3BAFcytYWpzhGdxH#type=damage-done&source=21&pins=0%24Separate%24%23244F4B%24resources%240%24109628058.0.0.Warlock%240.0.0.Any%24true%240.0.0.Any%24false%240%24114&fight=4

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/84zZwfyJQthnb1NR#type=damage-done&source=11&fight=4

my armory is: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormrage/Vaeevictiss/advanced

Lamborguineapig, for destro I would not recommend ever going cataclysm. Your AoE Chaos Bolts are going to do way more damage when needed than Cataclysm will. Just try to stick to using Charred Remains, it is absolutely crazy. On fights like Kilrogg and Gorefiend you need to be casting Havoc/Shadowburn more. Shadowburn is your best friend on add fights.

Also, try to dump Chaos Bolts in big trinket procs. Otherwise, hover around 25 embers and you should be golden.

Laenaya, could you possibly link warcraft logs? They are much easier to read and have more information for me to look at. I'll tell you what I can from what I gleaned from AMR logs though.

First of all, I would like to address your use of Affliction. If you like playing it, that's great! I personally would recommend Destro/Demo for the majority of the fights this tier. Aff just does not have the toolkit to deal with a lot of the mechanics thrown at you that the other specs have. The only viable Aff fight is Zakuun, in my eyes. If you're hellbent on playing Aff, then it's cool, you just won't have ideal dps on some of the fights.

With Affliction, try to keep 100% uptime on your Haunting Souls and all of your dots. The safest dot to let drop off is Corruption, so if you have to sacrifice Corruption uptime to refresh Agony and Unstable Affliction, go right ahead. Just make sure you get it back up ASAP, as you gain Shards from the dot.

If you can get into BRF and get the Darmac trinket, that would be great too. Even the normal version beats out that heroic runestone.

As far as grimoires go, I would steer clear of GoServ, but Sac and Sup are pretty good. High movement fights = Sup. Low movement = Sac. Also, yes, change over all of your gems/chants to Mastery. It is more effective than Haste and it shows.

Lamborguineapig, for destro I would not recommend ever going cataclysm. Your AoE Chaos Bolts are going to do way more damage when needed than Cataclysm will. Just try to stick to using Charred Remains, it is absolutely crazy. On fights like Kilrogg and Gorefiend you need to be casting Havoc/Shadowburn more. Shadowburn is your best friend on add fights.

Also, try to dump Chaos Bolts in big trinket procs. Otherwise, hover around 25 embers and you should be golden.

Thank you for he advice!

Zultan, as far as Destro goes, I noticed you weren't really casting Chaos Bolt that much on Kormrok, and instead you were sitting near full embers at all times. If you are using CR, then try to hover around 25 embers. On Kilrogg and Gorefiend use Havoc and Shadowburn as much as possible. Shadowburn will regen embers for you like crazy. More embers = more Chaos Bolts. More Chaos Bolts = higher dps.

Hello Angi! For the most part, Dragosi looks pretty good. I would ask that you try to steer him away from Affliction, as it deals very poorly with a lot of mechanics this tier. Some people might recommend using Aff on Council, but even there it isn't great, as it is the "pad spec" and your priority damage will be dreadful.

The only issues I have with his destro stuff is that on Kilrogg and Gorefiend he really wasn't using Havoc enough. But he was still doing quite decently on the fights anyway. On Iskar his priority add damage isn't fantastic because he is tunneling aoe. If he uses FnB to gain embers up to 40, then switches to single target and nukes down the priority with CB's and Havoc down to 10 embers, his add damage will skyrocket. Just AoE to 40, ST to 10, and repeat.

Hello Vaeevictiss, do you perhaps have a heroic or mythic GSR? That will do far better than the CSP you have equipped. Do you not have enough T17 gear to make a 2pc for that? 2pc/2pc is pretty strong for Destro and Demo and I feel like that not having that or a full tier set is crippling you. Also, if you really do not like playing Destruction, then I'd encourage you to go Demo on most of these fights. I personally play Demo 50% of the time and it is still a great spec and will most likely pass Destro when you get your legendary.

First I want to start with your "Problem fights" Xhul and Soc. With XH you need to be casting Havoc on one imp, then CBing the other. I would not suggest touching the Voidfiends unless you can Shadowburn them. Also, you only used Dark Soul three times: once in the beginning and twice in execute. Seeing as you have the DSI trinket, try to line up Dark Soul with the procs from that trinket (and that goes for any fight). When Vanguard Akkelion and Omnus hit 20%, stop havocing the imps and havoc XH and SB the big add three times. If your average Shadowburn hits for 150k, then you are doing 1.8 million damage in those three globals. The damage potential is insane. Especially with DS and trinkets up.

On Socrethar just treat the fight like a single target boss. It's a pretty dreadful fight that I have trouble with too. Just make sure you Havoc CB Shadowcallers and immediately switch to the Dominators. Don't touch the ghosts unless it is called for.

Also, a note about Tyrant. In the first two phases when the adds are up, Havoc/CB on cooldown.

Overall make sure you know when you are going to DS. It isn't given to you at set times like Demo is. Destro is far more abstract than Demonology and at times, that makes it harder to manage. Try to save your Doomguard for execute on every fight (I pop it around 30% on heroics). If you don't have a GSR, go to an Oregorger pug and get one. That trinket is your life until class trinket.

A lot of the stuff I posted above for other people may help out too, so give that a read if you want. I hope I helped!

Hello Vaeevictiss, do you perhaps have a heroic or mythic GSR? That will do far better than the CSP you have equipped. Do you not have enough T17 gear to make a 2pc for that? 2pc/2pc is pretty strong for Destro and Demo and I feel like that not having that or a full tier set is crippling you. Also, if you really do not like playing Destruction, then I'd encourage you to go Demo on most of these fights. I personally play Demo 50% of the time and it is still a great spec and will most likely pass Destro when you get your legendary.

First I want to start with your "Problem fights" Xhul and Soc. With XH you need to be casting Havoc on one imp, then CBing the other. I would not suggest touching the Voidfiends unless you can Shadowburn them. Also, you only used Dark Soul three times: once in the beginning and twice in execute. Seeing as you have the DSI trinket, try to line up Dark Soul with the procs from that trinket (and that goes for any fight). When Vanguard Akkelion and Omnus hit 20%, stop havocing the imps and havoc XH and SB the big add three times. If your average Shadowburn hits for 150k, then you are doing 1.8 million damage in those three globals. The damage potential is insane. Especially with DS and trinkets up.

On Socrethar just treat the fight like a single target boss. It's a pretty dreadful fight that I have trouble with too. Just make sure you Havoc CB Shadowcallers and immediately switch to the Dominators. Don't touch the ghosts unless it is called for.

Also, a note about Tyrant. In the first two phases when the adds are up, Havoc/CB on cooldown.

Overall make sure you know when you are going to DS. It isn't given to you at set times like Demo is. Destro is far more abstract than Demonology and at times, that makes it harder to manage. Try to save your Doomguard for execute on every fight (I pop it around 30% on heroics). If you don't have a GSR, go to an Oregorger pug and get one. That trinket is your life until class trinket.

A lot of the stuff I posted above for other people may help out too, so give that a read if you want. I hope I helped!

First of all, thanks for replying to not just my post but everyones.

I know I know I regret it everytime someone mentions it lol. I had a heroic gsr and de'ed it a while back when it was no longer relevant. I was still demo at the time and was using heroic darmacs and crucible which I do still have. I'm actually surprised that the crucible isn't better than the kaz trinket. When I was using it I would often see a volley of chaos bolt multistrikes blast the target. 

I actually still have my heroic t17 gloves and shoulders so I suppose I could swap one of those back in. I was just hoping the ilevel diff would help. 

As for the fights, our RL forces all ranged to be on the vvoid fiends when they are up, which for us is non stop. With tyrant, we are told not to dps the second phase add at all as the melee cleave usually kills it aims the same time she goes into p3.

I'm really mad I sharded that trinket though lol. I even looked on my account to see if I could still restore it and no luck. 

Edited by vaeevictiss

Hi, was hoping to get some help on improving my affliction DPS. We have another warlock that's similarly geared, yet he seems to almost always pull ahead 10-15k. Wondering what I'm doing wrong and can improve on. Here are some logs (Tyrant): https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Rzr9VLqxBMGhcCZm#type=damage-done&fight=8 . Also Fel Lord (I assume a lot of this one has to do with horrendous uptimes...): https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/wQjY2GK8T9bACFVa#fight=6&type=damage-done&source=3 . Would greatly appreciate any help.

Laenaya, could you possibly link warcraft logs? They are much easier to read and have more information for me to look at. I'll tell you what I can from what I gleaned from AMR logs though.

First of all, I would like to address your use of Affliction. If you like playing it, that's great! I personally would recommend Destro/Demo for the majority of the fights this tier. Aff just does not have the toolkit to deal with a lot of the mechanics thrown at you that the other specs have. The only viable Aff fight is Zakuun, in my eyes. If you're hellbent on playing Aff, then it's cool, you just won't have ideal dps on some of the fights.

With Affliction, try to keep 100% uptime on your Haunting Souls and all of your dots. The safest dot to let drop off is Corruption, so if you have to sacrifice Corruption uptime to refresh Agony and Unstable Affliction, go right ahead. Just make sure you get it back up ASAP, as you gain Shards from the dot.

If you can get into BRF and get the Darmac trinket, that would be great too. Even the normal version beats out that heroic runestone.

As far as grimoires go, I would steer clear of GoServ, but Sac and Sup are pretty good. High movement fights = Sup. Low movement = Sac. Also, yes, change over all of your gems/chants to Mastery. It is more effective than Haste and it shows.

Thanks, I'll try it out this week and see how it goes!

Hi,

well I can use some help here, I got a very inconsistant DPS, I've just some logs on archi nm, and no kill, so maybe it isn't enough to make conclusions. But I tought that at my ilvl I must normally pull some 45-50k and I'm far from it... most of the time around 30-35.

I reworked my interface, controled my "mouse over" macros, tuned my weakauras, read the guides, watched videos... it doesn't seem enough huh.png

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/8cBdGpx6qNR1WCYA/

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/kirin-tor/Satguiel/simple

Thanks for your time.

Hi,

well I can use some help here, I got a very inconsistant DPS, I've just some logs on archi nm, and no kill, so maybe it isn't enough to make conclusions. But I tought that at my ilvl I must normally pull some 45-50k and I'm far from it... most of the time around 30-35.

I reworked my interface, controled my "mouse over" macros, tuned my weakauras, read the guides, watched videos... it doesn't seem enough huh.png

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/8cBdGpx6qNR1WCYA/

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/kirin-tor/Satguiel/simple

Thanks for your time.

I cant say much as i am here for help myself, but your immolate uptime is really low. Average across all 21 attempts is 75%. That last attempt, which was the first to come up, was only 48%. 

thats all i can really add here hah.

Yes I have indeed some difficulties to keep it up on archi, main reason being his size, his nameplate disapears non stop and I track dots on them unsure.png

Yes I have indeed some difficulties to keep it up on archi, main reason being his size, his nameplate disapears non stop and I track dots on them unsure.png

You don't use any other form of DoT tracker other than nameplates?

I have the dots on the boss frame too but not so used to look at it as i keep eye on my feet, placement, procs, timers... so nameplates  with http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/kuinameplatesis pretty nice on most bosses but the very high ones like archi.

But immolation doesn't make 10k dps

In fact I have 3 places where I see my dots: focus frame, nameplate, bossframe

2015_interface.jpg

Edited by Satguiel

I have the dots on the boss frame too but not so used to look at it as i keep eye on my feet, placement, procs, timers... so nameplates  with http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/kuinameplatesis pretty nice on most bosses but the very high ones like archi.

But immolation doesn't make 10k dps

Immolate contributes a lot to DPS not just by it's direct damage, but also on ember generation for more chaos bolts.  That is what makes it's uptime important.

Edited by Zilthy

I also find myself struggling on Arch (and Mann tbh). I look at logs and see the problem: moments of very low dps, then spikes. I'm considering going Sup/Serv for Arch to try it so at least a good chunk of my dps is still going out until I get used to the fight.

Since the last logs I linked I managed too keep my immolation a lot higher, wednedsay we did the whole raid in normal mode and the day after we got till zakuun un heroic, but even so I'm still not so high on recount, I'm not very comfortable with fire and brimstone which makes a big difference between me and the other warlocks of the raid in thie tier

Since the last logs I linked I managed too keep my immolation a lot higher, wednedsay we did the whole raid in normal mode and the day after we got till zakuun un heroic, but even so I'm still not so high on recount, I'm not very comfortable with fire and brimstone which makes a big difference between me and the other warlocks of the raid in thie tier

The main thing with FnB with CR is to never AoE Chaos Bolt with less than 3 embers unless you just cast FnB Incinerate.

Dropping out of FnB when AoE is up is pretty punishing. The absolute WORST thing you can do is FnB Chaos Bolt at 20 embers right as a pack of adds hits execute range.

Get FnB Immolate rolling if adds live long enough, then alternate Chaos Bolt with Incinerate and Conflag, paying attention to the above.

Should help.

Ok,

My DPS this X-pac has been far from stellar.  I will chalk some of that up to simply not playing as much as I used to, so being a bit less in tune with my toon. But last night's HFC was abyssmal.

I need help from good locks, to tear through my logs, and provide me some pointers.  

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlog/player/us/jaedenar/tituslock

That's a link to all my logs I've recorded using Ask Mr. Robot. 

I'm at a loss, my lock has been my main since BC, and would appreciate any honest critiques/tips. I can post a screenshot of my UI later this evening as well.

I am currently running Sac/CR and usually sac the felhunter, and occasionally VW for the health cooldown.

I believe one thing I'm definitely not doing as much as I need to is Havoc/SB the boss for added cleave damage.

Gear wise, I only have 2 piece T17, and 1 piece T18. Though I'm fairly well statted on my gear.

Sorry Tituslock I cannot read AMR logs.

For Slyone,

Assuming that Slyyone in the logs is you what talents were you using? As I see no Haunting Spirits (HS) buff (the one you get from SB: Haunt) and yet you are definitely not using DemServ and unlikely Cata as it is a single target fight and you did not cast it.

Are you aware that to get the empowerment to your Haunt spell you still manually have to Cast Soulburn and then Haunt? Work on getting the HS buff as close to 100% uptime as you can (soulshard permitting), keep a closer eye on Unstable Affliction and then see what your damage is like.

Edited for an error.

Edited by spikeysquad