FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Liquidsteel

The Help My DPS Thread

Biggest question right now probably Zorrasf is what you are doing 6.2? If going the Aff/Destro way then probably not worth learning Demo that in depth. I see you use DB everywhere even on AoE fights. Conscious choice as you prefer it or more a case of you do not know what is best?

well ive never played demo until I came back but I saw that demo was doing good so I gave it a go. I don't really know what im doing haha.

Hi all.  I know that my opening isn't perfect because I don't get a 30 second countdown to know when to pop my SB.  Outside of that, I think I'm following it appropriately.  I am just downright BAD, though.  There has to be something obvious I'm doing incorrectly, but I can't figure out what?  Any ideas?  (Got 2-piece last night at end of raid and killed Gruul afterwards.  I thought that would help, but made no difference.)

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlog/0df1ec69-3c4a-463f-b966-d0761b50ce42/boss/overview#

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormreaver/Maizey/simple

Hi Zorrasf,

Thanks for the reply. Part of the issue is that you are a playing a single target (ST) spec on a lot of (farm) AoE/cleave fights. Then on top of that DemServ is actually stronger than DB if you want to go the ST route. However, 6.2 is bringing some major changes to Demo. At the moment it seems that DB will actually be stronger. However the spec overall may be weaker than the other two. I have no clue really. Anyhow, I will read your Ore log as a (mostly) ST one is easier to spot the issues on. If you do want to excel on most of the other fights then you need to swap level 100 talents (at this point in time). 

Opener: Could use some work. Have a read up of this page. Mostly just make sure you get your HoGs out as well. Most people will advise against the Imp Swarm glyph. 

DS & DB: For fight time you could have got 2 more DS in and a lot more DBs. One dump you had without DS (which can be an acceptable choice with buffs) but then you only did 2 DB. Fury management ok on the whole but make sure you have enough for 4 DBs and never cap.

A few meta SFs. This shouldn't be needed (at your haste level) if you are using DB often enough.

Huge period in the fight (we're talking like 1 minute 50) where you didn't cast any caster SFs (and only one meta SF) I tend to think you must of been stack capped. Also near the beginning did you use all your stacks? SF>SB though procs even better. You might have been very unlucky but your SF casts are very low.

DoT uptimes: Doom 97% Corruption 79% so watch a lot better. A couple of times your Doom casts were too close together on Ore. Quite a few Corruptions too soon as well. Are you aware of Pandemic for DoT lengths? Do the crates live at least 15 seconds? Otherwise not worth dooming them. 

Looks like you tried to HoG stack but a lot they were too close together or too far apart. HoG, Caster ability, Caster ability, HoG. This could be one reason for a lack of MC procs (if that happened) and perhaps your Imp Swarm thing too.

Talents, Glyphs & Gear: GoSyn tends to the choice over GoSup for DB. Missing 2 enchants. Use mastery not crit for Demo (and all specs). Once you have your ring and a better trinket then hopefully you can DB with other procs more.

ToC use used to be very frowned upon with DB. I don't know if this is still the case.

Have you considered using your teleport on this fight? Kinda depends on tactics.

Execute: No More SBs so good. You forgot your second potion but I see you died early.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Maizey, 

Firstly, I think that WCL is the option that most people are more familiar with. I personally cannot read AMR logs.

Secondly, 3 people took the time to comment on your last log and there was not one word of thanks from you after that hence my reluctance anyhow in helping again.

Edited by spikeysquad

Maizey, as Spikey said, Askmrrobot is not a reliable combat log. It provides very little information. However, I can still make out a couple of things,

Gruul: Soulburn Haunt needs to be used more. There are periods longer than a minute where it isn't being used. Optimally, you should have 100% uptime on the Haunting Spirits buff. Sometimes this isn't possible and you have to settle for around 90% uptime. That being said, your uptime was 48%. You had only cast SB:H 4 times. Work on maintaining that buff in Single Target. Also, you missed an opportunity to squeeze in an extra Dark Soul, but that isn't worrying me as much as SB:H.

On Hans and Frans and Flamebender, you have much the same issues. Low uptime on SB:H is still my biggest concern.

Kromog:  See SB:H uptime issue above. Also, don't worry about using Seed of Corruption on the hands. it won't do much, so just single target your hand and any other remaining hands down and all will be fine.

Beastlord/Thogar: Affliction is honestly a dreadful spec here, I personally wouldn't recommend playing it on these fights, however if you have fun doing it, then go right ahead!

All this being said, your most glaring issue is Soulburn Haunt. If you could link warcraft logs, I could probably tell you more, but I simply can't tell much more from these logs. Also, in 6.2 do you plan on using destro ever? If so, you might want to re-enchant into mastery. It is much better all around for warlocks.

Hey guys,

I'm new here, but I'm reading very often here anonymously. Now I need help and I want to ask the pro warlocks here in this community. I talked to other warlocks on our server, but I cannot find my failures.

These are the logs of our guild, and I cannot find any solution for my weak damage output.

Please give me some tips or can anyone advise me the correction for my rotation?!

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/42725

Thank you very much.

Welcome Maligno,

What fights are you most concerned about? Are you worrying more about your Destro or Affliction performance? As I see that you use both specs. Please also post your armoury so we don't have to search for you. 

Sorry, I forgot the details... In general my destruction dps.

Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/character/eredar/Mal%C3%ADgno/simple

Our other warlock does much more dps. Since yesterday his damage is much more higher because he got the 2piece bonus from t18.

I don't know what's wrong... I follow the guides and priorities for destruction. But nothing is working. I'm really frustrated. He also did more dps than I with demonology in brf pre Patch 6.2. When I don't find any solution I have to think about rerolling another class... :'-(

Edited by Maligno

Thanks for replying Maligno. Though I see the other lock usually beats you I will compare you to some randoms. I will say though for progression priority target damage tends to be much more important than overall damage. Excel on adds where you can. 

I have chosen your heroic Shadow Lord Iskar log to have a look as this can be a really nice Destro fight. A ST fight may have been more helpful to perhaps see the base issues but then you were mostly playing Affliction.

Opener: Low on burst. Check out the opener here (and the rest of the guide if you have not yet). However, the main thing I see is DS is too early, no Doomguard and then just try to get as many CBs in as you can before it wears off.

So when the adds come are you told to ST the most painful one or AoE them down? To be clear I've actually only killed this on normal so far and we did ST to begin so perhaps heroic is different or there is a better tactic. For us though the add phases were definitely the priority nuke so I find it odd you did not use DS here at the 1 minute point when the first adds came. You do your second DS at the 2:39 stage (which is probably also too late if you are in a squeeze to get them in) on the boss alone. Perhaps though the first set of adds is not really important unlike the 3rd. You are also missing a DS for the fight length.

So DS 2: 3 CBs, DS 3: 0 CBs + 3SBs DS 4: 1 CB. So basically too few casts of your most important spells.

Resource Management: Though the graph is hard to read it appears that you spend way too long capped and above 2.8 embers. Remember your T17 2 set.

CBs: Hard to really see on CR logs but generally remember every proc (and especially your better ones) dump everything if you are not going to DS/nuke within the next say 20 seconds. You don't want to be coming out from procs with embers that a few seconds later when you cap you cannot buff. Generally compared to other logs you do seem to have a lack of both normal and F&B CBs so kinda obvious but try to cast more! 

To put in some persepctive you had 28 CBs I see logs with 42 and 36.

You did 8 F&B CBs and I see logs with 12 and 13. This is a bit more tricky though if you are doing ST or perhaps adds melt faster or whatever.

You did 16 SBs, logs I looked at did 29 and 31. This would have been a big damage increase (and probably more embers too). Do you have obvious nameplates for when mobs reach execute? Do you have a mouseover macro for SB?

Havoc: You use it 0 and I see 8 and 7 uses. Again a big damage loss here.

You also seem to have forgotten your Doomguard and your second potion.

Did you set up your teleport for movement? Do you think you can make use of it on this fight?

Work on these things and hopefully you should see a significant increase in damage soon. Good luck.

Disclaimer: There may be an error in something that I have said. If you think so tell me.

Thank you very much for your analysis. We are raiding today and we start a new id. So I will have new logs. I try to optimize my rotation and have a focus on your tips. Destruction is very hard for me to play... I know, it sounds funny ;-) I post new logs after our raid and I hope, that I can give my rotation and play style also some progress ;-)

About Iskar... It's very different... someone is focusing, und others are doing some AoE damage.

I give you some infos after our raid and then we can look closer if I understood everything ;-)

Edited by Maligno

On Iskar we did a bit of experimenting with what would work best during add phases, with one of us going DB, one FnBing the adds down all at once, and myself single target chaos bolting the priority add. Demonbolt was far and away the top damage on priority adds, but had lower damage on everything else. FnB had mid-low damage on priority adds and huge damage on everything else. My single target CB's did slightly more damage to the priority add than FnB but had terrible damage on the other adds.

So moral of the story, I stayed as destro, but went to FnBing everything down because single target was only marginally better. The only time you won't FnB in that fight is when the boss is out and during the final add phase.

Or you can do what I did and FnB Immolate and Incinerate the adds whilst chunking single target Chaos Bolts into the priority adds, with Havoc and Shadowburn cleave when appropriate. 

Topped damage on Talonpriest and Warden and came second on the Fel Raven and Boss itself.

Or you can do what I did and FnB Immolate and Incinerate the adds whilst chunking single target Chaos Bolts into the priority adds, with Havoc and Shadowburn cleave when appropriate. 

Topped damage on Talonpriest and Warden and came second on the Fel Raven and Boss itself.

That is a fantastic idea! I wish I would have thought of it before this week's kill, but thanks for the tip!

Strat for Socrethar as destro?  My dps is horrible and I see destro locks doing well on it. I'm definitely missing something really obvious for mad dps.

It just depends on how your guild does it. If you do it like ours, where we have ranged DPS aoe down the ghosts, then just FnB them down, easy peasy. If you stay on boss the whole time, then just try not to pop CD's while the boss is invulnerable. Demonology is also fantastic here.

If you have any logs I can check out, I might be able to see what's up with your dps.

Thanks for the advice. I still have a lot to learn to maximise Destro.

So not being a maths person does there have to be a minimum number of targets for F&B Incinerate in this case to be worth it? Or is it if you can still make more than 3 embers respectively each time then do it? So basically you get more frequent CBs for your priority. Oh you don't mention Conflag, is that as a harder hitter just better tunnelled into the main target then?

Oh and Incinerate hitting like a wet noodle, even more with F&B of course, is probably my biggest gripe with Destro at the moment. 

Yes, Spikey, it takes 4 targets for FnB to become self sustaining. I personally prefer 5 targets, just because gaining embers with 4 is a little slower. Like Liquid said, if there is a priority target, then you can weave in and out of FnB and wreck it with CB's. Conflag you can cast in FnB for rapid instant-cast embers. Also, make sure you get immolate on all of your targets, especially if you still have the T-17 2pc. You will have crazy ember regen.

Ah it wasn't about sustaining so to speak. Having thought about it some more and took into account the appalling average 13k of Incnerate and not much more for Conflag 4-5 targets (or whatever it takes for ember growth) makes sense for more CBs to outweigh F&B filler damage. With GRS/DS/lucky RNG this could be less. Yeah indeed on the Immolates, DoT everything! 

Hello! I'm trying to pick up destro right now. Here are two fights: Assault and Kormrok

shttps://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/jwqnZ6ArdgQy7DaJ/#comparesearchplayer=11&type=damage-done&fight=1&source=1

After reading a bit of this thread it seems my problem is that I am not shadowburn cleaving. How does this mechanic work? Do I pop FnB when there is an add sub 20% and it hits the surrounding ones even if they are over 20%?

I've seen destro locks pull ~60k+ in past groups and I want to get from this floor level to at least there. 

Things I noted and am curious about:

Didn't use combat pot in either fight. 

Not sure when to use FnB and havoc. In a fight like assault should FnB take priority over havoc?

I need to work on when to shadowburn instead of CB.

Anything else that can be gleamed from these two logs would be awesome to learn. I am aware I play the spec pretty sub optimally at the moment and want to be significantly more useful by this weekend. Thanks! 

Shadowburn cleaving is when you apply havoc to a target (usually the boss or a primary add) and then shadow burn an add or multiple adds with the goal of using all three charges of havoc on shadow burn.

Other advice I can give. Make sure you are using your second potion. Also try to replace your DUT trinket. Haste does not do that much for destruction. The highest lock in your group used havoc 18 times to your 7. That is quite a bit of damage difference just in that. 

Edited by Drkdragon

Hi Abudabuu,

You cannot F&B with SBs so like Drkdragon says it is with Havoc. If no one beats me to it I will try to have a proper look at your log tomorrow (though before I forget to mention enable advanced combat tracking for any future time). Generally though most issues tend to be the same. Apart from the basic rotation, keeping up DoTs and "always be casting", you need to learn to maximise Havoc and use it  a lot, snipe SBs kills, do not cap resources, get as many CBs in as you can, try to minimise movement/use your tools and you "should" win.

Is this you?  http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/korgath/Abudabu/simple and if so you actually have no tier sets?

Edited by spikeysquad

Hey guys!

Sorry for waiting, but I had no logs to compare...
This was my best result: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/VGbqJ1WMr7chFKmL#fight=17&type=damage-done
But the other fights are very weak. I think that I'm to dumb for playing warlock :-( Today we killed Archimonde non heroic and I had only about 35k dps listed in skada. aksmrrobot.com also tells me, that I should break my 4p bonus of T17 and use

http://www.wowdb.com/items/124176-mantle-of-the-eredar-lord

and

http://www.wowdb.com/items/113970-turret-mechanics-legwraps?bonusIDs=567

instead of my t17 shoulders and legs. Can this be correct?

When I compare the other fights with the one against Iskar, I think that the main problem is, that I don't time my cooldowns and abilities correct. This could be the reason that my damage is not as high as it should be.

Thanks a lot for helping me to find the issue for my failing.

Edited by Maligno

For Abudabuu,

If the link I posted is you I do wonder if CR is actually the correct path to take. Oh well when you get tier set it will be so practice now is good. Going to read your Kormrok log.

Opener: Ok but check out Summonstone to tidy up for more burst and to get your CBs out quicker.

DS: Most things that I read tend to suggest unglyphed DS. If you find this works better for you though fair enough. Generally just remember to use as many CBs within your DS. Go in with high embers and ideally leave empty. You didn't have advanced tracking enabled so I can not see what your resource management is like. For most groups hand damage tends to be the priority so the fact you did not use DS here always (or early enough) is a bit odd plus you also miss out on more overal; damage.

CBs: Out of DS when you do have non-haste procs then dump everything you have (assuming you are not going to DS in lthe next say 20 seconds). Noit uing these then casting unbuffed CBs just after is a waste.

Resource management; Only can give general advice here but just a reminder not to cap.

This fight will depend a lot on how close you guys stack for the hands and what kind of DPS (especially execute ones) you have getting them down but generally go in with high embers and if they are close enough F&B as many times as you can, snipe lots of SB kills and maximise Havoc use. You can pre-cast Havoc on the boss as well before the hands spawn. 

So generally your parse compared to high ranked ones is low on F&B CBs, SBs (you only managed 2 and I see parses with 22 and 18), Havoc use and like you said only one potion.  

Could you find a use for your teleport and/or gatewey? I like them on this fight for getting around the room quickly.

As to your question about Havoc/F&B I will let someone else with more experience answer that. However,  for most fights Hellfire Assualt though it's about priority targets and not AoE. Hence when you are F&B you are lowering your main target damage so Havoc should rule then. However sure if you are just going for full out meter padding frenzy (which you could probably get away with on normal with a good group) that's different.  

Good afternoon -

So, I dropped my Lock in BRF Heroic to go to a Shadow Priest in mythic BRF (which unfortunately I didn't enjoy nearly as much) and took a break. I recently came back about two-ish weeks ago and got caught up via Tanaan and my guild helping me gear up on alt runs. I am looking to join them back to raid soon. Even got lucky with an Archemonde trinket.

Anyway, my problem lies in my dps - it feels less than sub par, especially in comparison with other Destro's. For one, my opener feels weird with the Archemonde trinket. Also, I sat my warlock in the time in which it was more beneficial to balance mastery/crit, so perhaps that is one factor. I'm still a bit rusty mechanically so I know that is affecting my dps, albeit minor or major I cannot be sure.

And my first set of heroic HFC logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/fgqFz34tdGmDhKnx#fight=9(excuse the very last Iskar attempt, my Dark Soul macro broke :/)

I originally posted this to Reddit and they directed me here and to Summonstone, but I have not had a chance to try the opener over there. Would there be any changes in the opener due to the Archemonde trinket?

Thanks, 

Ix.

Edited for wording and some formatting.

Edited by Ixbio

Hey guys!

Sorry for waiting, but I had no logs to compare...

This was my best result: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/VGbqJ1WMr7chFKmL#fight=17&type=damage-done

But the other fights are very weak. I think that I'm to dumb for playing warlock :-( Today we killed Archimonde non heroic and I had only about 35k dps listed in skada. aksmrrobot.com also tells me, that I should break my 4p bonus of T17 and use

http://www.wowdb.com/items/124176-mantle-of-the-eredar-lord

and

http://www.wowdb.com/items/113970-turret-mechanics-legwraps?bonusIDs=567

instead of my t17 shoulders and legs. Can this be correct?

When I compare the other fights with the one against Iskar, I think that the main problem is, that I don't time my cooldowns and abilities correct. This could be the reason that my damage is not as high as it should be.

Thanks a lot for helping me to find the issue for my failing.

Could anyone take a look again if I'm right that it's only wrong timing my abilities and cooldowns? I use my "burst" makro where I use my racials and DS together. I also have recorded all my raids. Does it help when I upload one or two videos from a specific raid?

Yesterday a got my 2p T18 bonus. So I have now 2p T17 + 2p T18. But the damage was not higher than I thought :-( I think I'm to dumb to use my abilities at the correct moment.

Thank you very much

Edited by Maligno