FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Liquidsteel

The Help My DPS Thread

Hey Ixbio,

I haven't had much time to go over your logs, but I did notice a few things. You and the top warlock in that run had a similar number of casts during the fights, but his spells were hitting SIGNIFICANTLY harder than yours. Some of this could be due to your lack of mastery and set bonuses, or he may just be lining up his cooldowns better. He also had a BMC and a GSR, compared to your Sandman's Pouch, which means he had more opportunities to burn than you did. I have no experience with the class trinket however, so I don't know what to expect from that as far as Chaos Bolt damage goes. Anyway, that's just what I noticed at a glance.

Maligno, all of your logs are of wipes, do you perhaps have any kill logs? They provide a much easier overview of what you are doing over the course of the entire fight. Also, if you really want, uploading one or two videos would not hurt. It would almost give a perfect view as to what you are doing.

If you are playing destro, keep your T17 4pc. It is far superior to the T18 2pc. For Demo, I prefer the combination of the two 2pc sets. And I haven't yet tested the Affliction 2pc, but since the nerf, my gut is telling me that the T17 4pc beats it even though the sims say otherwise.

Maligno, all of your logs are of wipes, do you perhaps have any kill logs? They provide a much easier overview of what you are doing over the course of the entire fight. Also, if you really want, uploading one or two videos would not hurt. It would almost give a perfect view as to what you are doing.

If you are playing destro, keep your T17 4pc. It is far superior to the T18 2pc. For Demo, I prefer the combination of the two 2pc sets. And I haven't yet tested the Affliction 2pc, but since the nerf, my gut is telling me that the T17 4pc beats it even though the sims say otherwise.

Thank you very much for your reply.

This was our last raid ... only non heroic, but many kills... https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Kh9XQbaBw7JN6dfz

I have to review the videos and I will up them till sunday.

Thank you very much.

Awesome! Thanks for the kill logs! I'll review them in a couple hours after my raid tonight and let you know if I see anything frightening.

Hey there!

Brand new here, just wanted to see if I could get a hand improving my dps, I main'd my warlock in MoP, and was playing boomkin until recently in this xpac, im trying to get back into the swing of things! I'd just like to know if someone could steer me in the right direction and figure out why my dps is very poor :(

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/b7GtnBafFJz3Cqv1#fight=33

Im not sure if i can post links, If the above link doesn't show up, my name is Nakata on US-Burning Blade. Thank you very much and I will be checking this post religiously! lol

Okay so I think I will take this one fight at a time here. Starting with Iron Reaver, were you specced into SB:H? If so, you never once had the Haunting Spirits buff. It almost looks like you had no lvl 100 talent. But even without it, you had pretty respectable numbers. And grats on killing the boss before the air phase!

On Kormrok, if you can, try to FnB Chaos Bolt the hands, then Havoc SB the last few down. The hands in my guild tend to get obliterated immediately, so if that is a problem, I can understand. Also, on your second DS cast, the only other proc you had up was the weapon proc. I prefer to wait until I have my ring or GSR proc up in addition to the weapon proc, that way you get more bang for your buck. It's a two minute cooldown and does not need to be spent right away.

For the Council it looks like you had one (maybe two!) missed opportunities for DS usage. For the second one I prefer waiting till lust so I can maximize damage on Gurtogg. Every time a boss pushes into their ultimate, I throw up DS. If I am capped between, there is no harm in doing an extra. Also, Haunting each target is not necessary. There is no way you will have ember regen to justify it, so just try to keep SB:H up 95-100% of the time and you should be golden.

For Kilrogg, Havoc is your best friend. Right now your add damage is non-existent. Havoc can be used to Shadowburn snipe and shoot double Chaos Bolts. It is fantastic. If the thought "should I havoc right now" crosses your mind, the answer will always be "yes". I always throw a Havoc on Kilrogg and for the bloods I shoot a Chaos Bolt, essentially doubling my instantaneous dps. For the thirsters I Shadowburn snipe them, as they usually die fast and I want the extra embers. Hell, if no adds but the Terror are up, havoc and kill the terror! Your priority in this fight is ADDS.

Gorefiend, I ask that you please please please stop double DSing at the start. In the Feast of Souls phase, he takes 100% EXTRA DAMAGE!! That is huge! DS on your opener and never again until the Feast of Souls. At that point summon your Doomguard, run up to full embers, DS, burn, and repeat! The double DS should be saved for the Feast. Only DS during feast. Also, your add damage is considerably better than Kilrogg here, but do not be afraid to take advantage of havoc. This is Shadowburn snipe city!

On Iskar, there isn't too much to worry about here. The one thing I have to say is a trick I recently learned myself. Do not use FnB Chaos Bolt on the adds, instead just ramp up embers with FnB then switch back to single target and kill the priority adds (Raven, Talonpriest, Warden). And make sure you save DS for add phases, your priority damage will go way up.

On Xhul you missed your last DS and never used a Doomguard. That is not good at all. Make sure you pop both of those in phase 4. Also, this is another Havoc SB paradise. Havoc Havoc Havoc this fight. Cast it on cooldown.

Zakuun was almost flawless. There is just one problem. You forgot to Doomguard again. That is a huge CD that you cannot forget.

Socrethar is the same, you forgot to DG. Also, if you can, try to Havoc a bit more, it is definitely doable.

Tyrant: Dude, you are scaring me, no Doomguard again! Cast it on the add in phase three.

Mannoroth, once again no Doomguard and very few Havoc casts. In the first phase, it is Havoc city! Havoc everything! SB everything! In phases 2 and 3, havoc the infernals and knock them down with CB and SB!

So overall, you have three key things you need to work on. The first is Havoc usage. Bind that Son of a gun up to something accessible (I personally have mine bound to "F"). The second is timing your Dark Soul with trinket/ring procs. Maximize the damage you get with it! Your CBs will hit way harder! The third is remembering that Doomguard man. Use it on every fight.

One last thing I didn't mention. Make sure you are prepotting and using a second pot every kill. 1000 intellect for 25 seconds is no joke. Use it before the pull for your precast and during a key burn phase/execute phase. That is a huge chunk of damage you are missing on almost every fight. You only had one fight where you used both pots, and I would love to see it be all fights.

Sorry for the book! But I wanted to be thorough. I hope this helps you in your quest to improve! Thanks for coming here with your questions! I am always happy to answer.

Thank you very much... I will work hard on using my abilities. And I need such a "book" because it's very hard to be the best or getting better. And I WANT to get better :-)

I will post logs again to compare if I did everything right ;-)

If the problem is, that I'm not using DS often enough... should I use the glyphe?

Edited by Maligno

No it's not that you are not using it enough. You just need to work on when you time it and making sure you get the best usage out of it. The only time you should ever use Glyph of DS is in Demonbolt. And that's just a personal preference

No it's not that you are not using it enough. You just need to work on when you time it and making sure you get the best usage out of it. The only time you should ever use Glyph of DS is in Demonbolt. And that's just a personal preference

Ok, I understand. I will practice again and again :-)

Hello all :)

Im a new player and looking for some advice to play my Affliction Warlock to its best.

Currently i have the T17-4p bonus.

I try to understand the logs from warcraftlog but i dont get it. So i hope you people can help me.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/qwTP9hm6xXQfYNGk#type=damage-done&fight=16

Here are logs from Iron Reaver, Kormrok, Hellfire High Council and Kilrogg Deadeye.

The thing i think im struggling the most are phases or bosses with a lot of adds.

Im looking forward to your answers . Thanks a lot.

Coriba

Hello Coriba! Have you tried using SB:H? You certainly have the gear to use it. If you plan on going through all of HFC as an Affliction Warlock, then SB:H is definitely the talent to use. It is a slightly different playstyle than when you are going serv, but it is definitely superior as you get into the 690+ range. If you have any questions on how to use it, there is a wonderful, in-depth guide on this website on how to do so!

Also, Cataclysm and Affliction aren't a great match. If your raid team is struggling with the hands on Kormrok, then I'd suggest Cata with Demo.

Overall, something for you to work on is making sure your DoT uptimes are as close to 100% as you can get them. That is the first stepping stone to becoming a great Affliction warlock, and just a great warlock in general.

Hei Curinir

With SB:H you mean Soulburn Haunt right? I always play with it and Grimoire of Supremacy. Only when there is a boss with a lot of adds. I used Cataclysm on Iskar for the adds in the flight phase and Kromog for the Hands. The other bosses all with Soulburn Haunt. So you suggest to always play with Soulburn Haunt even when there are a lot of adds where it is almost impossible to keep the dots on them up all the time?

Im sorry if i dont understand everything right english is not my mother language.

Thanks for you reply :)

Coriba

Yes, I do mean Soulburn Haunt. I do apologize, though because I looked under the wrong section and thought you were playing servitude. So while playing Soulburn Haunt, keep uptime on Haunting Spirits as close to 100% as you possibly can. Looking at your uptime it is ranging from 60-80%.

As far as Cataclysm goes, I would just stay away from it. On Iskar you should be focusing the priority adds and the other classes more suited to cleave/aoe can knock down the little adds no problem. Affliction aoe is nonexistent, and Cataclysm is just not good to spec on Iskar, which is quite single target oriented. Same goes for Kormrok, Warriors/Boomies can just melt the hands while you get to focus on priority damage. If you do want a spec that is more aoe oriented, Destro and Demo are great for the job, but Affliction just does not have the potential to do effective add burst like the other two specs.

That being said, SB:H should be what you always play as. The only fight where it will be hard to maintain dot uptime is the first phase of Mannoroth and Hellfire Assault.

Hello, can anyone analyze this log and tell me if I'm doing something wrong? This is my armory.

I think my dps is too low, even considering the downtime in phase 2. Simulationcraft is showing me a 55k dps.

I'm comparing it to this log (Symaitiel), if you look at the opening burst, my top dps was 94k, his max burst was 170k, I've literally checked everything I could think of and I cant find the problem.

I'm doing the normal rotation and opener, I have the fragment of the dark star but I'm still using GSR as my second trinket and because of that I'm not stacking 5 flamelicked debuffs before using dark soul, if I do that lose the 10 sec proc from GSR.

Hey Serial.

His opening burst was so high because he got a double proc of his GSR lined up with his DSI proc and Dark Soul, whereas you did not get the double GSR proc and the Fragment debuff takes a bit to stack up. He also had more than double your GSR uptime over the course of the fight (yay rng) and 30% DSI uptime, but I don't know how to tell how many Fragment stacks you where able to maintain. Lastly, you both had similar #s of Chaos Bolt casts, but he Shadowburn sniped twice as many bombs as you did.

So basically, Shadowburn snipe more things and pray to RNGesus a little harder. I haven't gotten my hands on the Archi trinket yet, so I can't speak on how to best use it, unfortunately.

Edited by HeadBeeGuy

Hey Serial.

His opening burst was so high because he got a double proc of his GSR lined up with his DSI proc and Dark Soul, whereas you did not get the double GSR proc and the Fragment debuff takes a bit to stack up. He also had more than double your GSR uptime over the course of the fight (yay rng) and 30% DSI uptime, but I don't know how to tell how many Fragment stacks you where able to maintain. Lastly, you both had similar #s of Chaos Bolt casts, but he Shadowburn sniped twice as many bombs as you did.

So basically, Shadowburn snipe more things and pray to RNGesus a little harder. I haven't gotten my hands on the Archi trinket yet, so I can't speak on how to best use it, unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply, that's what I was thinking too, figure I would post a log anyway just so someone could see if I was the one doing something wrong. The shadowburn sniping is really hard to do in my guild, people are demolishing the bombs sometimes I see bombs getting from 30% to 0% in one global cd. I was more worried about the boss damage comparison.

For some reason, my trinkets are not procing twice even pre-casting incinerate at 3~4 seconds, actually sometimes I see a proc before it reaches the boss, sometimes I don't. no clue as to why that is happening tho.

Thanks again =)

Hi, I've recently switched back to destro after the Demo nerf. I had been doing great on the DPS on Demo since I posted here, now I am destro for raiding and I'm having trouble with my DPS with here's my log: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/8jrbM3gVyJqfnAc4#type=damage-done&boss=-2&source=26

armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/ursin/Dolorossa/advanced

I was doing fine in HM/BRF but since 6.2/HFC my DPS seems to have taken a big hit and I can't figure out why. I tried playing around with talents (trying SB:H/DS or different grimoires) but it doesn't seem to be helping. Comparing with other logs, it looks like I may be way over on haste and should look into changing some of that to mastery instead (e.g. all the enchants)...help!

Recent logs: http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlog/7271fde8-ae04-43c8-89aa-c2bdb1ece074/report/14#v=0,d=0

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Laennaya/advanced

I used to be a decent Warlock but quite frankly I am seriously under performing now and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. I raid lead so some slight mistakes I can chalk up to staring at raid frames/DBM timers but the fall off is out of hand at this point. Please help.

Recent Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/YKGLQcDfpjvgxHzJ#boss=-2

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/hydraxis/Zultan/advanced

Note: I primarily play and am concerned with Destro but some fights in the logs I may have been affy.

Hi, there is this chap at our guild who's concerned about his dps. Name's Dragosi. Since he can't speak english I'm posting in his behalf. 

Here are our logs from reaver to iskar

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/jVrDf1CPhc8pTadw

and here's assault

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2W71JLNha8FCRAPt

there's another lock on the logs, but he's not interested on receiving advice :/ thanks a lot