FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
apparition666

fire VS. frost war

so

open with copies and in 2 seconds to pull i begin casting pyro

no need to say about spd pot and invoc))

about combust

i use combustionhelper, so it shows me my basic tact

i'm trying to use it when 30000-40000 per tic

alter time i use with proc of pyro+heating up+pom

rotation: fb-heating up (if)-inferno blast-pyro-fb

renew living bomb in a period of 1-2 seconds out

So for setting up big combustions you want to do this:

Combustion Generator

1. Get a heating up proc (this can be from your opening hard cast pyro or from fireball)

2. Cast fireball and queue Inferno blast - The inferno blast will hit first granting you a Pyro! proc.

3. Cast fireball until you have both a Pyro! proc and a Heating Up proc.

4. Cast fireball and hit your Alter Time macro right at the end of the cast. - Look for it here.

5. Cast Pyroblast till you use up all the Pyro! procs and your POM pyro.

6. Cancel Alter Time

7. Cast Pyroblast till you use up all the Pyro! procs again and your POM pyro.

8. As your POM pyro is in the air use combustion (typically) - see below.

If you don't have high crit levels you may want to cast combustion at any point in time during that sequence when your ignite is stacked high. (you will simply have to experiment with the right value for you). Also keep in mind when setting up a big combustion like this it is sometimes correct to refresh your bomb early so as not to mess up this "Combustion Generator" combo. Also if your bomb falls off in the middle of this combo, do not refresh it till after combustion.

You can never have too much crit but probably anything over 40% (raid buffed) and you can finish out that rotation with good consistent results. Up till about 40% you just need to keep an eye on how much your ignite value is currently ticking for and combust when you are happy with that number. It's just a lot of practice and getting a feel for it at that point.

I am sitting on almost 40% raid buffed crit, but I have to say I don't feel too comfortable with it. In fact, I haven't have the 4 set bonus yet, but you have which should make the spec more "stable". Not feeling comfortable means, I make the exact same DPS as Frost.

All in all, if you are at about 40% crit with 4 set bonus, you should definitely be good to go with fire. :)

• Like 2

ARCANE is a beast at 518i with frost bomb. (I dont care what all you pros say) 650k crits hit like a truck! Frost mages are like assholes and Mustangs, everybody has one... Fire is not there yet imo...

ARCANE is a beast at 518i with frost bomb. (I dont care what all you pros say) 650k crits hit like a truck! Frost mages are like assholes and Mustangs, everybody has one... Fire is not there yet imo...

So where's your parse of this epic dps?
  • Like 2

I am not understanding this idea that fire is only better at 522+ or 35% crit. I don't claim to be the best but I know I pull decent numbers with a frost mage. I'm ilevel 518. I ran into a fire mage in lfr who had just switched over a week ago to fire and he was only 506 with a 32% crit rating and he was pulling virtually the same numbers as me. It would have even been better than me if he matched my ilevel. So I don't think I'm going to wait until this self appointed 522 or 526 to make the transition. I'm moving over now. I felt very comfortable with fire and although I don't have much practice with this new "heating up" trick i'm quite confident I can get back into the swing of things rather quickly. I really hate invocation though. I hate when people talk about invocation and mobility in the same sentence lol...the only one that offers true mobility is incanter's ward. Invocation still causes you to stand still to long and being able to get one off in the council or tortos fight is a pain in the friggin ass. I still like incanter's ward the best and maybe that loss in DPS is what evened me up with the lower ilevel mage. I don't know i'm stubborn that way. Is it really that much of a dps drop?

I am not understanding this idea that fire is only better at 522+ or 35% crit. I don't claim to be the best but I know I pull decent numbers with a frost mage. I'm ilevel 518. I ran into a fire mage in lfr who had just switched over a week ago to fire and he was only 506 with a 32% crit rating and he was pulling virtually the same numbers as me. It would have even been better than me if he matched my ilevel. So I don't think I'm going to wait until this self appointed 522 or 526 to make the transition. I'm moving over now. I felt very comfortable with fire and although I don't have much practice with this new "heating up" trick i'm quite confident I can get back into the swing of things rather quickly. I really hate invocation though. I hate when people talk about invocation and mobility in the same sentence lol...the only one that offers true mobility is incanter's ward. Invocation still causes you to stand still to long and being able to get one off in the council or tortos fight is a pain in the friggin ass. I still like incanter's ward the best and maybe that loss in DPS is what evened me up with the lower ilevel mage. I don't know i'm stubborn that way. Is it really that much of a dps drop?

Well, if you can predict when the damage will come and keep almost 100% uptime of the 15% damage increase, then it's not theoritically.

But usually, on HC mode or even on Normal mode, you simply cannot afford to intentionally stand in fire to make your shield absorbed. It's just an unviable talent. On LFR, it's fine.. But who cares about DPS, there? :P

It's much easier to keep Invocation up close to 100%... Like seriously 2-3 seconds immobility is really not much. I have never had any problems as an ex-frostmage with keeping up Invocation.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/qfec6396gxpeyz20/?s=4778&e=5024

99,9% Invocation uptime, world's 146th frost mage on WoL on Tortos ^^

That fire mage really shouldn't have been ahead of you. But I'd advise you to switch, because if we don't get nerfed now, fire will be the leading class by far, in 5.4.

• Like 1

He didn't finish ahead of me, just dang close...to close for a 12 ilevel gap. I guess my question is really this: Are fire and frost equal until fire pulls away at higher ilevels? Or is it that Frost is better at low ilevels (480-500) they are equal in the 500-520 range, and then fire pulls ahead 520+? I am just trying to figure out what I can say to my raid leader to allow me to switch to fire now. Can I say they are equal or not?

want to add something

few days ago a thought about spec problem... and, imho, if u're not "the chosen one", every spec can make fair damage

depends on your favor, i think

i understood, that frost spec is more suitable for me than fire

and whate'er appearances, i'll come into it