FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zero88

How do i make that push, so to speak, to get better? And hello!

Hi everyone, first time posting here. I've become pretty familiar with this site, getting tips for decks and such, so i thought i'd make an account and ask the players here for some help.

I'm looking for advice really, on how to further climb the ladder of ranked mode. I've been playing since around the end of 2015, so its not like i'm a new player, but so far the highest I've gotten in ranked is 12. And that was when i was actually trying. I just think i must be bad at this game lol hopefully not the case.

The only classes i don't really play at all are Warlock, Druid, and to some extent Rogue, because i don't have the right cards for the decks i would play. Everything else is fair game. I do have a lot of the best cards , and all expansions (except Naxx, missed that one)

So yeah, just looking for some general advice from the people who rank high every month please.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Zero88 said:

Hi everyone, first time posting here. I've become pretty familiar with this site, getting tips for decks and such, so i thought i'd make an account and ask the players here for some help.

Hi, welcome to Icy Veins forums, I hope you will enjoy your stay here!

1 hour ago, Zero88 said:

so far the highest I've gotten in ranked is 12.

That's actually decent, given that you are newer to the game than majority of players around that rank.

1 hour ago, Zero88 said:

The only classes i don't really play at all are Warlock, Druid, and to some extent Rogue, because i don't have the right cards for the decks i would play. Everything else is fair game. I do have a lot of the best cards , and all expansions (except Naxx, missed that one)

Basically the only class you are going to need in current patch is Shaman. Aggro shaman is a shredding machine and playing it can easily get you to legend. If you miss any cards from the deck, you can ask for replacements in the deck's thread.

There is another one:

https://www.icy-veins.com/hearthstone/aggro-jade-shaman-no-doomhammer-gadgetzan-standard-deck

Personally I tried this one out just 3 hours ago, went well, but obviously only a few games. 6-1, from rank 10 to rank 8.

I don't know if one of the two is stronger or not. Probably just pick the one you have the most cards. (Maybe somebody else can shed some more light on this)

A few other things:

- Try to stick to one deck, the more often you play a deck the better you will get. Better to play one or two deck 100 times then 10 decks only 10 times.

- If you realize the deck doesn't work that well (either because of the meta or whatever) you should switch obviously

- Maybe look for a few replays with somebody playing this deck

- If you want to go a little deeper, don't just watch, try to "play" the game yourself: Look at his cards, stop the video, decide what you would do - and then see what he does. The same? Well, then this would have (probably) been the right move. If he does something different, ask yourself why he played the way he did. Was it a good move? (Not necessarily, but if you watch replays from good players chances are high it was a good move.) What did the player see that you didn't? If you are lucky he explains his move.

- You can upload replays here if you want more information on a specific of your games.

25 minutes ago, positiv2 said:

Hi, welcome to Icy Veins forums, I hope you will enjoy your stay here!

That's actually decent, given that you are newer to the game than majority of players around that rank.

Basically the only class you are going to need in current patch is Shaman. Aggro shaman is a shredding machine and playing it can easily get you to legend. If you miss any cards from the deck, you can ask for replacements in the deck's thread.

Thank you! 

Oh really? That's actually quite good to know lol because ive read on other forums of people getting to rank 5 or something after a much shorter time, made me think i was terrible. 

When i got to 12, the decks i was using was pirate warrior and N'zoth Shaman. Will give that deck a try, thanks for your help!

11 minutes ago, WedgeAntilles said:

There is another one:

https://www.icy-veins.com/hearthstone/aggro-jade-shaman-no-doomhammer-gadgetzan-standard-deck

Personally I tried this one out just 3 hours ago, went well, but obviously only a few games. 6-1, from rank 10 to rank 8.

I don't know if one of the two is stronger or not. Probably just pick the one you have the most cards. (Maybe somebody else can shed some more light on this)

A few other things:

- Try to stick to one deck, the more often you play a deck the better you will get. Better to play one or two deck 100 times then 10 decks only 10 times.

- If you realize the deck doesn't work that well (either because of the meta or whatever) you should switch obviously

- Maybe look for a few replays with somebody playing this deck

- If you want to go a little deeper, don't just watch, try to "play" the game yourself: Look at his cards, stop the video, decide what you would do - and then see what he does. The same? Well, then this would have (probably) been the right move. If he does something different, ask yourself why he played the way he did. Was it a good move? (Not necessarily, but if you watch replays from good players chances are high it was a good move.) What did the player see that you didn't? If you are lucky he explains his move.

- You can upload replays here if you want more information on a specific of your games.

Thank you for the reply!

I think my biggest problem is like you say in your first point, i rarely stick to one deck. Recently its been reno mage, c'thun mage, c'thun warrior, and more,  maybe too many to seriously climb up lol.

Thanks for the helpful advice, will take it on all board!

I have found that there is really only one trick to reaching legend and that is to do your homework.

When you see what class the enemy has you should find out within a few turns what archetype they are and based off of that you should be able to know exactly what cards an opponent could potentially have in hand.

some things are obvious, like baiting or playing around a turn 4 swipe, or knowing it is most likely an ice block that reno mage played. but if you truly know what cards your opponent is mostly running (which is almost always spot on with meta decks) you can even start planning two or three turns ahead.

hand: Totem Golem, Jade Claws, Tunnel Trogg, Maelstrom Portal, The Coin.

Turn 1: most likely tunnel trogg although in some cases coin into wep or maelstrom portal is obvious.

turn 2: IF he does not get board presence > play totem golem.

IF he plays something on the board > play jade claws to trade well.

-  now overloaded 1

Turn 3: Either play the remaining totem golem or jade claws in hand. or totem up. maelstrom portal only if really needed. potentially coin into some 3 drop if possible.

I've made all these decisions while my opponent is still deciding his mulligan. This is reading the game and knowing what to expect.

The above exaple would change immediately when playing against a warlock in which case I would never play tunnel trogg on turn 1 because I'm anticipating Flame Imp. This is just one example among many.

Once you know your opponents decks as well as your own, you'll start getting more consistency dong this.

Additionally, you will want to have a deck tracker which is handy for alot of things but most importantly it will save your replays which you can then look back into to see what cards you didn't anticipate and why. this especailly will make you a much better player.

Edited by Shine
  • Like 1