L0rinda

Tavern Brawl: Blood Magic

10 posts in this topic

KUPsq1D.png

This week's Tavern Brawl is called Blood Magic. It is the 88th Tavern Brawl.

Blood Magic has a simple enough concept, which is that all spells cost Health instead of Mana. This could lead to an interesting metagame where healing is premium, and expensive burn spells are used to finish your opponent. Violet Illusionist is a key card in this Brawl, it allows the burn finish to only kill your opponent and not yourself. I expect to see it a lot over the coming days. 

This is the third constructed Brawl in a row. It is an interesting Brawl to me, as I have felt that Blizzard have been trying to push this mechanic slowly on us over the last few expansions, but are terrified of it. In other card games, paying Health for cards has often been a broken mechanic, and I feel this might be a test to see how far they can push it.

As always, feel free to leave your own lists in the comments.

This was a fun brawl the first few times. I used a warrior weapons deck won the first 4 easy.... Then i started getting the mages turn 3 loss 3 in a row.(so i made a mage deck)  Even worse was the turn one losses to the paladins buffing the hell out of a 1 cost boar. 30 damage plus divine shield on turn one is a bit much for a one cost minion. (had this happen 3 out of four palie matches)

all that being said i like that they are coming with out of the box stuff for the tavern brawls it definitely keeps it interesting and fresh when the tavern brawls have a completely different feel than standard play.

13 minutes ago, positiv2 said:

Incredibly broken, not a good brawl.

Sums it up perfectly.

Some mechanics are just too broken to be implemented on a large scale. Not that Necropotence didn't demonstrate that 22 years ago already, but I digress... 

5 hours ago, positiv2 said:

Incredibly broken, not a good brawl.

4 hours ago, Keizoku said:

Sums it up perfectly.

Some mechanics are just too broken to be implemented on a large scale. Not that Necropotence didn't demonstrate that 22 years ago already, but I digress... 

I'd say that this sort of thing is exactly what the brawls are for. maybe its not a good game mode, but not too bad o a brawl since it makes people explore mechanics they otherwise wouldn't. just my humble opinion

5 hours ago, positiv2 said:

OTK Mage is incredibly strong in this brawl. Double PyroblastFireballGreater Arcane Missiles and so on. You can actually do the OTK on turn 1. Incredibly broken, not a good brawl.

that combo would kill you aswell tho.

3 minutes ago, Shine said:

well playing 2 pyro's 1 firsball and gearter arcane missiles will hurt you for 31 damage aswell. so maybe a bit more spells that costs less than the amount of damage they deal. but you're right. turn 1 kill combo's will be there.

that combo would kill you aswell tho.

It doesn't have to be exactly this combination to give you lethal. Those were just examples of cards that can be used in this brawl, not a specific OTK combo. You can do OTK with, for example, double PyroblastGreater Arcane Missiles and either Arcane Missiles or The Coin + ping. 
HysteriA uploaded some turn 1 OTKs, if you want to take a look at more specific combos. I was about to link the video when xCiniCx beat me to it.

8 minutes ago, Shine said:

I'd say that this sort of thing is exactly what the brawls are for. maybe its not a good game mode, but not too bad o a brawl since it makes people explore mechanics they otherwise wouldn't. just my humble opinion

Yeah, but playing against (or even as) a turn 1 OTK mage, where you can't do anything at all to prevent your death is not fun at all. If the meta was more tilted towards playing minions only, it would certainly be more fun. Sadly, this is not the case. Once I got past 4 wins, the only class I saw was mage.

Well, it's kinda fun, if a bit silly. Draw+Buff Paladin, Burn Mage and Spell Hunter seem to be the only ones that are competitive. Good for grinding out coins and missions fast...

Been having great fun with Ancestor's Call + Auctioneer, Malygos and Hallazeal deck. Why do a turn 1 OTK with Mage when you can draw your deck AND OTK them on turn 1?

Edited by MistAssassin

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Zadina
      A Legendary Hunter minion and an Epic Priest spell were revealed earlier on an Instagram story by PlayHearthstone.
      Oblivitron is a Legendary minion for Hunter:

Lazul's Scheme is an interesting spell for Priest:

• By Zadina
      As expected, Hagatha is a Shaman Legendary minion and she has a very versatile effect.
      The card was revealed by @PlayHearthstone on Twitter:
      Swampqueen Hagatha is one of these cases where the cardbox is barely enough to fit the explanation for the whole card. "Teach it 2 Shaman spells" means that you will get the Discover option twice and the Horror (a tribeless 5/5 token minion) will cast them as a Battlecry. Note that if you Discover a targeted spell, you can choose who to target with it - it's not random. According to Peter Whalen, the first choice is random but the second will offer only non-targetable spells (like Bloodlust or Chain Lightning) if your first choice was a targeted spell.
      Now that we are done with the explanation of the card, we can try and guesstimate how good it's going to be. Even though it offers a versatile Build-a-spell-like effect and it has a very interesting design, Swampqueen Hagatha is a huge tempo loss on turn 7 and requires a lot of setting-up and foresight. On the other hand, you can make up the tempo loss when you play the Horror and it also works greatly with Shudderwock.
      With Hagatha's Scheme and now the new Hagatha herself, it looks like we may be heading towards a Control Shaman era. What do you think?
    • By Zadina
      A new Scheme card for Rogue was revealed by @PlayHearthstone on Twitter.
      The card also confirms King Togwaggle as an upcoming Rogue Legendary minion.
      Now that we know that Scheme cards can update infintely, Togwaggle's Scheme looks absolutely insane. Pogo-Hopper decks have recently gained popularity and this new Scheme card fits perfectly into them. It can also fit into a Pirate Rogue deck. A lot of people have been comparing it to Jade Idol. The card is also pretty bonkers in Wild as well in the hands of Mill Rogue. With the right support, this card looks really powerful.
      What do you guys think about this first card reveal from Rise of Shadows?
    • By Zadina
      After the announcement of Rise of Shadows, Peter Whalen answered several questions on Twitter.
      A new piece of information is that there will be no Hero cards in the upcoming expansion. Rise of Shadows will follow the trend set from previous expansions, with 2 Legendary cards per class and 5 neutral Legendaries.
      One of the new mechanics of Rise of Shadows are Scheme cards that upgrade each turn they are in your hand. Apparently, they can upgrade forever! They also work with end-of-turn effects like Drakkari Enchanter (source). If you play Krag'wa, the Frog after you play Hagatha's Scheme, you will get a copy of the base form of the card (source).
      As far as Lackeys are concerned, these new token minions are all 1-mana 1/1 and they can only be generated from other cards.
      After clarifying that the smart deck builder doesn't support Wild for now, Peter Whalen launched into an extensive series of tweets about Hearthstone's Wild mode. The team is trying to keep Wild mode a place where everything is allowed, but at the same time they want to regulate stuff like Aviana, Naga Sea Witch, Yogg-Saron, Hope's End and Raza the Chained to maintain some sanity. No surprise there: Barnes has also been under the radar for a while. You can find the Twitter thread here.
      Lastly, there are no plans for now to give Wild cards as rewards, but this may change.

• By Zadina
      New features include the Twinspell Keyword, Lackey minions and Scheme cards.
      The leaks were correct and the name of the new expansion is Rise of Shadows. It's a good mix of old and new as we see familiar faces and mechanics joined with new stuff like Twinspell, Lackeys and Schemes!
      Launching worldwide on April 9, Rise of Shadows is Hearthstone’s newest expansion, featuring 135 new cards and a host of game improvements which were revealed when the Year of the Dragon was announced. Dave Kosak is here to introduce us the new expansion.
      He hints about the next expansions of the Year of the Dragon bringing us to the "ancient depths".
      Rise of Shadows is about Rafaam gathering an evil gang, his target being the city of Dalaran. What is his purpose, though? It remains to be revealed in the rest of the year, since the Year of the Dragon expansions will all be interlinked.
      Hearthstone's nine classes are pitted against each other. On the one side, we have the League of Evil, whose leader is Arch-Villain Rafaam, a new Warlock Legendary minion. Warlocks are obviously part of the bad guys crew with Rogues, Shamans, Priests and Warriors joining them.

The Defenders of Dalaran are the good guys and they are made up of Druids, Mages, Paladins and Hunters.

The League of Evil doesn't operate on its own. After all, its masterminds are busy scheming and plotting; they need some muscle for the everyday bad-guy stuff, they need Lackeys! Lackeys are small 1/1 minions with strong Battlecries. Lackeys will not be limited to Rise of Shadows, as we will see them in the next expansions. They are token minions, only generated from other cards - they are not collectible.

We mentioned "scheming" in the previous paragraph. Schemes are cards that grow in power the longer they stay in your hand. It hasn't been determined if there is a limit to how much these cards can grow.

The new Keyword for this expansion is Twinspell. Once you cast a spell with this Keyword, a second copy of the spell is added to your hand. The copy doesn't have Twinspell.

Older mechanics will also return. You might remember Forbidden cards from Whispers of the Old Gods. With The Fortune Teller being present in both WotOG and Rise of Shadows, it's only natural that we see Forbidden again.

Speaking of The Fortune Teller, her actual name is Madame Lazul and she is an alternative Priest hero you can get from one of the pre-purchase options. There are three pre-purchase bundles for Rise of Shadows. The Standard Bundle costs 49.99 $/€ and contains 50 Rise of Shadows card packs, the Jewel of Lazul card back and a random RoS Legendary card. The 79.99 $/€ priced Bundle includes 80 packs, the Jewel of Lazul card back, the Madame Lazul Priest hero and a random Rise of Shadows Golden Legendary card. Lastly, the Shadow Bundle will be available only during the first week of the expansion: for 9.99 $/€ you can get 9 Rise of Shadows card packs and an Arena ticket.
      The solo Adventure content will be released a month after Rise of Shadows, so somewhere in May.
      *Images for Kalegcos and EVIL Miscreant are a courtesy of Hearthpwn.