Aleco

Whats the Move? #6 - Analyzing Purple's play from the HCT Summer Championships

7 posts in this topic

For the first time in this still-evolving series, I step away from the ladder to analyze a play made by Purple at the HCT Summer Championships.

gCdMrdT.jpg

For the first five episodes of this series I've looked at interesting situations from my own experiences on the competitive Hearthstone ladder. In episode six I've decided to do something a little different - analyze a compelling play from a professional tournament. Today's play comes from game four of a quarterfinal match between Purple and Tom60229. You can watch the whole series here on Twitch.

As mentioned in the video, you can read Legend in the Making: Part 3 for a more detailed explanation of "Line-up Theory".

Let us know in the comment section what you thought about this week's episode, and feel free to tell us about the kinds of situations you'd like to see in future installments.

• Like 3

Purple replied on reddit to explain what went through his mind during the portion of the game that the video analyses: 

• Like 1

I think a lot of players have their problems with (or simply don't see the reason) not to play something.

Again a great video and good lesson. ... oh and I noticed you talked a bit slower, that very nice :)

• Like 1

Stupid question, but why didn't the mage use the 3 damage of Medivh's Valet + 1 damage from Acolyte of Pain + 1 damage hero power to kill the Thing from Below?

Yes, he would not have been able to kill the one minion with his Valet, but he would have gotten a water elemental - which would make up for it IMO.

And he would have saved the Fireball.

Great vid again.

On 11/3/2017 at 5:58 PM, WedgeAntilles said:

And he would have saved the Fireball.

Fireball would have been useless to him after that turn, since all 3 minions that are alive had immune to hero power/spells. This means flametongue would stay up and Purple could just trade Hyena + Claws into Elemental and then he'd have a dead fireball in hand.

3 hours ago, Blainie said:

Fireball would have been useless to him after that turn, since all 3 minions that are alive had immune to hero power/spells. This means flametongue would stay up and Purple could just trade Hyena + Claws into Elemental and then he'd have a dead fireball in hand.

Well, the opponent did play another minion later. (Cairne Bloodhoof)

But you are probably right.

On 11/6/2017 at 5:46 PM, WedgeAntilles said:

Well, the opponent did play another minion later. (Cairne Bloodhoof)

But you are probably right.

Might have been another reason then, or tom just didn't realise there was another minion due to be played. It's the only thing I can think of that's a logical explanation, at least in terms of that current board.