Zadina

Dungeon Runs Hearthside Chat & King Togwaggle Reveal

Sign in to follow this  

13 posts in this topic

O9UZMM3ZNKBK1511392329273.jpg

Dave Kosak is here with a new Hearthside Chat to talk about Dungeon Runs. He also showcased a legendary card from the new expansion!

We've already talked about Dungeon Runs, one of the new features that Kobolds & Catacombs will bring. Lead Mission Designer Dave Kosak explains in this latest Hearthside Chat the design process behind Dungeon Runs.

Dave presented some unique elements only present in Dungeon Runs. For example, there is a card you can pick called Cloak of Invisibility, which has a Passive effect of giving your minions permanent Stealth.

He also gave some insight on the encounters. Some Dungeon Runs can have thematic encounters, like there's a band of Troggs or Trolls you will have to beat. As far as the Trolls are concerned, Battlecrier Jin'zo has a passive effect that is similar to Brann Bronzebeard, which you and him can both benefit from! Similarly, Spiritspeaker Azun's passive works like Baron Rivendare for both parties, while Voodoomaster Vex combines both of these passive effects!

The narrator, that will be guiding you through your Dungeon Run, is King Togwaggle - the king of the Kobolds himself! He is also going to be an actual card available in the next expansion:

636470356703210814.png636470360507361578.png

Images from Hearthpwn

Here's the official blog post with everything you need to know about Dungeon Runs:

Blizzard LogoBlizzard Entertainment

What’s a Dungeon Run?

Dungeon Run is a new insanely fun, single-player “rogue-like” mode where you’ll face deadly encounters and collect incredible Treasures to build a deck worthy of a hero!

When your Dungeon Run starts, you’ll choose a Hero and receive a starting deck consisting of 10 cards. You’ll use it to overcome eight encounters of increasing difficulty (chosen randomly from a huge pool of 48 possible encounters!) to clear the run.

AdventureUI_03_1200x855.png

That initial deck might be enough to help you squeak by your first opponent, but you’ll need to get stronger if you hope to clear the whole run. Each time you defeat a Dungeon Run encounter, you’ll be given an opportunity to “level up” your Dungeon Run deck with themed sets of three cards appropriate to your class. Occasionally, you’ll also be able to pick from a selection of three incredibly powerful Treasure cards—non-collectible cards and abilities made just for this mode that are too blatantly overpowered to see normal play.

You’ll need all that power—as well as your wits—because these encounters can be fiendishly difficult. Victory is not assured, and each encounter has its own unique perils. If one of them gets the better of you, defeat is permanent, so you’ll have to start a different run with a whole new deck!

If you manage to complete a full Dungeon Run with each of the nine Classes—no mean feat!—you’ll add the Candle King card back to your collection.

KoboldKing_Cardback_HS_InBlog_EK_600x414.png

(source)

Oh that is unexpected, a high cost bad stats minion who battle cries "why the heck are you using me in your deck?"

I'm still eager to try out the dungeon runs, but I doubt I will see any reason to play them after getting the card back (or not at all if the encounters will become to much of a time consuming gamble.

• Sad 1

This is the legendary that make you say bad unspeakable Italian words when you find it in a pack after a pity-timer.

However, this have some sense, better then Mayor Randomfogger. It denies your opponent his own draw, then make them spend 5 mana only to draw normally next turn. It can be usefull against combo deck like Exodia Mage, because if they don't instantly cast King's Ransom you can draw their win condition next turn, ending the game.

8 mana are a little too much, but if you can combo this guy with some draw, you can steal your opponent their win condition, so.... It's a maybe, a big meta-reliant maybe.

I have to admit that some of those treasure cards do seem fun. 

Hearthstone needs more of that, tavern brawls don't break the rules of the game often enough for a game mode that is aimed at that. Sometimes you just get RNG fiesta and that's already built in the normal game mode.

I'm still very skeptic that this dungeon mode is going to be as replayable as they're selling it, but I guess we just got to wait and see.

When K&C was announced (before card reveals or many details) the theme of the set as well as the upcoming dungeons sounded very good and very exciting but now it looks a bit more like a bluff package.

But Kuster is right, we have to wait and see.

Edited by Caldyrvan

I've seen a lot of cards with expansion including priest and shaman legendaries that seem like they might be for combo decks. So maybe this will see a similar kind of useage as dirty rats sometimes see when they screw up combos?

20 hours ago, Synesthesy said:

I just realized that you can play King Togwaggle and then explore un'goro....

or simply one or two traking, just to burn 6 card from the deck

bcose, you dont know what he may get from the explore un'goro discovery, this way you simply screw your oponent hehehe

1 hour ago, Demenzel said:

or simply one or two traking, just to burn 6 card from the deck

bcose, you dont know what he may get from the explore un'goro discovery, this way you simply screw your oponent hehehe

18 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

If it will find it's use It will def. be another deck/combo that makes your opponent want to quit.

On 23.11.2017 at 9:54 PM, Kuster said:

I'm still very skeptic that this dungeon mode is going to be as replayable as they're selling it, but I guess we just got to wait and see.

I expect low replayability. Two major flaws are lack of rewards and difficulty progression. It is very unfun to beat trivial first levels again and again to get to a challenging part.

Edited by Strongpoint

I really appreciate their work and that they introduce something like the dungeon runs and I hope I will enjoy them.

But even then, in a competitive card game where your collection matters you want to acquire packs, cards, gold and/or dust. Besides the card back award, which you barely see yourself in-game, you acquire nothing for the game you want to play in the first place. I could play a few rounds solitaire instead. Same result and the time spent(wasted?) I could have used to get gold from matches, climb the ladder, do arena or whatever.

Edited by Caldyrvan