FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zadina

New Mage Secret Revealed: Kobolds & Catacombs

VeANebg.jpg

Mage gets another useful Secret in Kobolds & Catacombs.

ShtanUdachi revealed this spell card on his YouTube channel. It's a 3 mana rare Secret that reads: "After your opponent plays a minion, deal 6 damage to it. Deal all remaining damage to your opponent". The card's name hasn't been officially confirmed, but it should be Explosive (or Fire) Rune(s).

The video is in Russian, with English subtitles available.

This is a great card and fits perfectly into Secret Mage or any aggressive Mage deck. Essentially, it's a cheaper Fireball, that can potentially splits its damage to the enemy hero too! The only question that is raised is how this secret is going to work with minions with Divine Shield. Lastly, Explosive Rune(s) can benefit from Spell Power.

Let us know what you think about the newest addition to Mage's arsenal of powerful spells. Final versions of all cards will be posted in our Kobolds & Catacombs hub.

Probably against divine shields it does 0 damage to both minion and face since it spent 6 to destroy the shield.

Like using a fireball on it, the minion won't die but it takes all the damage to destroy the shield

I don't like secrets :D They make the game awkward. But that's just personal preference.

So it's a better Snipe that doesn't waste its damage. Potion of Polymorph never saw play, I think mostly because it still leaves a 1/1 on the board to deal with or it might hit a minion that is small in stats anyway. This card plays around this problem and with 6 damage it's not unlikely to kill the minion it hits.

For the Divine Shield question. It's possible that the shield will simply eat all damage but if they follow some logic and other mechanics (well you never know with the devs :D ) it's more likely that it will destroy the Divine Shield and all damage goes to the hero. This would follow the same mechanic as poisonous does. Poisonous minions can't kill minions with Divine Shield because they do no damage to it. In this case the secret would do 0 damage to the minion leaving 6 damage to hit the hero.

Edited by Caldyrvan

Well that would match the description of divine shield (at least in the English version) which reads "The first time a shielded minion takes damage, ignore it.", in fact doing damage but with no effect. So the secret would do its full 6 damage to the shield.

Looks like I have to pull out all my paladin power :D

Edited by Caldyrvan

3 Mana for a better fire ball that your opponent gets agency over?  Sounds very strong.  It might be too awkward in practice to see consistent play, since divine shield wrecks it, and allowing your opponent to sacrifice his least valuable resource makes it worse then it looks, however, I think it will become a staple in aggressive mage decks.