FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Aleco

Two Neutral Minions Revealed By Venturebeat

7TqaquD.jpg

The two newest Neutral minions appear to be best friends with Baku the Mooneater.

Two new Neutral minions were revealed by the blog venturebeat.com today, and both of them should have some exciting applications in odds-only decks with Baku the Mooneater:

clockwork-automaton.png

Scorp-o-matic and Meat Wagon have a new friend! Say hello to this set's niche Mech card, Clockwork Automaton. A 4/4 for 5 Mana isn't going win anyone over with its body, but a 4 damage Hunter Hero Power sounds like a force to be reckoned with. Mage's might also be interested in doubling the effect of their Fireblast, but it'll take some time before the effects of Clockwork Automaton start to pay off.

I think you'll need to get at least 2 or 3 activations of your Hero Power before this card becomes worthwhile, which means that I'm not convinced it will see play in normal decks which don't have the ability to upgrade their Hero Power. With that said, decks with Baku the Mooneater could be very interested in this card. If you're already upgrading your Hero Power to be more effective, doubling that effect sounds like a screaming deal to me!

blackwald-pixie.png

Everything that can be said about Clockwork Automaton can also be said about our next card, Blackwald Pixie. I see it slotting cleanly into Baku the Mooneater decks, as the body on a 3 Mana 3/4 is far better than that of a 5 Mana 4/4. However, you can only gain benefit from this card's Battlecry on turn 7 or later, which means that a 3 Mana 3/4 is all you're getting until the late game.

I'm very hapy to see some Neutral cards supporting the odds and evens theme, and expect to see a few even costed cards which support this theme before the end of our spoilers. What do you think about these two cards? Let us know in the comment section, and be sure to check out our Witchwood Hub for more information about the latest set.

Someone will come up with a degenerate version of face hunter I think.

We will be very sorry then.

For the 5 mana 4/4, if played with Baku, it is actually 6 damage, which is a lot. 

Not that these cards are super strong, but if there will be more odd costed cards related to hero power of burn, face hunter will be a real problem.

Why spend 1600 on Prophet Velen when you only want it for a combo turn when you can simply get a common that also has a lower mana cost? :D

But since it is only hero power, not spells it will most likely be unplayable.

That Pixie, well as Aleco said, 3 Mana to refresh your hero power is most likely too expensive.

Edited by Caldyrvan

imagine the clockwork automaton with the old Rhaza / Shadowreaper Anduin...

nevermind, Blackwald Pixie might make Exodia Paladin a serious thing (in wild though)

6 hours ago, FanOfValeera said:

Not that these cards are super strong, but if there will be more odd costed cards related to hero power of burn, face hunter will be a real problem.

I was going to say not having two drops seems a bit awkward for face hunter but then I googled and the first deck I saw was:

https://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/1017046-rank-1-legend-face-hunter

It’s pre-nerfs so not directly relevant since the creepers and pirates likely need changing, but shows face hunter doesn’t need too many even cards.

Pretending the nerfs didn’t happen, Razormaw is quite a big loss but I guess he gets replaced with some one drops. Houndmaster goes for Baku and an automaton. Spellbreakers go for ironbeak owls I guess.

Question is, have we made the deck better or worse? I think worse tbh. Your board is easier to clear without the buff guys. Maybe you ditch the puny silencers and go all in on the hero power stuff, and just rely on hero power and burn to win it once the taunts get too big.

Not sure that strategy worries Malfurion much though.

Edited by Bozonik

8 hours ago, Breadd said:

nevermind, Blackwald Pixie might make Exodia Paladin a serious thing (in wild though)

Oh.  I like that idea.  You can use youthful brewmaster to get one in your hand, then as long as you can get 1 to stick (or find a way to get a coin or discount a minion by 1 with a second youthful) there might be some sort of control paladin shell that runs an uber light OTK package to beat control, which has always been the problem for control paladin.  I can't currently think of a way in standard to run the full OTK in standard without getting one to stick around, but we still have a lot of witchwood cards to go, plus between random secrets generated by hydrologist and Rebuke it is possible to protect it. . . Hmmm.