FORUMS
Damien

Hearthstone Warlock Spells and Minions

I think the page on Void Terror ought to at least mention synergy with deathrattles. Void Terror is great with Nerubian Egg, and it's still less risky on other deathrattle minions than it would be on vanilla ones, since you gain the deathrattle benefits.

I just met a deck with Dreadsteed combined with Baron Rivendale. Let's just say I didn't stand a chance anymore. Especially when he combined 5 dread steeds with Knife Juggler after killing his own Baron...

I just met a deck with Dreadsteed combined with Baron Rivendale. Let's just say I didn't stand a chance anymore. Especially when he combined 5 dread steeds with Knife Juggler after killing his own Baron...

Decks centered around Dreadsteed get countered very easily: silence. If your dreadsteed gets silenced, you spent 4 mana for a 1/1 and your opponent gains tempo and you lose. Almost every combo based works only if you draw the needed cards and this is no different (but of course, you have an advantage of having Warlock's hero power).

Guest Law-kun

I'm using a dreadsteed deck at the moment and it is a fun one to play. To counter silence you either wait until you have the baron or kelv'zard and get the combo quickly, or keep one copy of dreadsteed in your hand as insurance, or throw out minions that like to be silenced such as the egg and belcher. Not a 100% win deck by any means, but there is nothing like having 5 buffed 3/3 immortal minions wrecking the opponent every turn. Even if M'ganis isn't around they are really good at clearing the board.

More of a fun deck than a serious laddering one.

In Curse of Rafaam's Constructed section:

" it can make your opponent choose between taking damage or spending Mana to remove your minions when they may want to do both. "
My understanding of this card is that you either take the damage(spending mana on controlling the board or keeping tempo) or you spend mana getting rid of the curse. Also I'm fairly certain the opponent wouldn't want to take damage.

Also, in the Arena section of Sacrificial Pact, Reliquary Seeker, Curse of Rafaam, Sense Demons, Succubus, Void Crusher and Anima Golem, you might wanna take into account that they aren't available to be drafted.

2 hours ago, EDL666 said:

My understanding of this card is that you either take the damage(spending mana on controlling the board or keeping tempo) or you spend mana getting rid of the curse. Also I'm fairly certain the opponent wouldn't want to take damage.

That is actually correct. The opponent has to choose whether to take damage and spend mana on different, possibly more important stuff, or to get rid of damage and be limited. 
Now, a new players will almost always play the curse to stop taking damage, but that is rarely the correct approach. One has to assess the possible tempo gain (especially in early game) and the possible dangers of taking 2 extra damage. Let me give you a few examples:
Ex1: It's turn 2. Your opponent played Curse of Rafaam without playing anything on turn 1. You have two options: play the curse and avoid taking two damage, or play a 2-drop and punish your opponent for not playing a minion. The first minion gives you a platform to build on in early midgame and allows you to win game because of this. This is the primary reason nobody plays Curse of Rafaam.
Ex2: It's turn 5 and you are playing control warrior. The opponent managed to build a big board while you have not (which is quite common when playing control warrior) and plays Curse of Rafaam. Your hand only offers you two options: play Cursed! and armor up, or play Brawl. Now, since your opponent has a big board, you should rather play Brawl as it will prevent you from taking more damaged than playing Cursed! would. You will be able to regain the health by simply using your hero power once at any point in the game.

On 2016-11-22 at 0:42 PM, positiv2 said:

That is actually correct. The opponent has to choose whether to take damage and spend mana on different, possibly more important stuff, or to get rid of damage and be limited. 
Now, a new players will almost always play the curse to stop taking damage, but that is rarely the correct approach. One has to assess the possible tempo gain (especially in early game) and the possible dangers of taking 2 extra damage. Let me give you a few examples:
Ex1: It's turn 2. Your opponent played Curse of Rafaam without playing anything on turn 1. You have two options: play the curse and avoid taking two damage, or play a 2-drop and punish your opponent for not playing a minion. The first minion gives you a platform to build on in early midgame and allows you to win game because of this. This is the primary reason nobody plays Curse of Rafaam.
Ex2: It's turn 5 and you are playing control warrior. The opponent managed to build a big board while you have not (which is quite common when playing control warrior) and plays Curse of Rafaam. Your hand only offers you two options: play Cursed! and armor up, or play Brawl. Now, since your opponent has a big board, you should rather play Brawl as it will prevent you from taking more damaged than playing Cursed! would. You will be able to regain the health by simply using your hero power once at any point in the game.

Yes, I was just saying that the description said it wrong

3 hours ago, Hitchadaphilo said:

On the page for Pit Lord, the only drawback it mentions for constructed is that Piloted Shredder is generally better (which is wild). Not sure if that's something you'd want to change, but I thought I'd just mention it.

Thanks for pointing this out! I passed this onto our authors, and an update should be applied soon.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      A balance patch is coming next week with card adjustments and Shaman changes for Descent of Dragons. Affected cards will be given full arcane dust refunds.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Hey everyone,
      Just to give a heads up - we’re working on a balance update that will arrive within the next week with card adjustments for Descent of Dragons, including some changes aimed at Shaman. Any cards that are affected will be given full arcane dust refunds. Stay tuned for more details next week.
    • By Stan
      Blizzard encountered a bug where the client would disconnect after using Heart of Vir'naal and minions with the Invoke keyword, so they disabled Galakrond animations in Hearthstone until further notice.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Hey Folks,
      We are currently in the process of rolling out a hotfix that will disable the animations for Galakrond. The reason for this:
      We’ve found multiple occurrences in which Galakrond’s animations can cause the Hearthstone client to disconnect. The primary occurrence: when playing Quest Galakrond Shaman, we encountered (as well as received word) a bug where the client would disconnect after using Heart of Vir’naal + minions with the Invoke keyword.
      This is just a temporary solution that will fix the client disconnects. We are aiming to ship a client patch within the next week that will be the long-term fix for this issue.
      The team is continuing to keep an eye out for issues, so please do let us know if you encounter more pesky bugs 
      Cheers,
      Chris_Attalus
      Related News
      Hearthstone Update 16.0 Patch Notes List of Known Issues (Update 16.0) Descent of Dragons Update Notes Galakrond Priest Hotfix All Descent of Dragons Cards Revealed
    • By Stan
      A hotfix went live for a bug that caused the game to become unresponsive when using Fate Reaver and Galakrond in Priest decks.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Quick hotfix note for this evening. A bug that was causing the game to become unresponsive when using Galakrond and Fate Weaver in Priest decks has been resolved. Related News
      Hearthstone Update 16.0 Patch Notes List of Known Issues (Update 16.0) Descent of Dragons Update Notes All Descent of Dragons Cards Revealed
    • By Stan
      Descent of Dragons is here and we've updated our decks for Hearthstone's latest expansion.
      Related News
      Hearthstone Update 16.0 Patch Notes List of Known Issues (Update 16.0) All Descent of Dragons Cards Revealed Blizzard (Source)
      DESCENT OF DRAGONS IS NOW LIVE!
      It has come to this. Rafaam and his League of E.V.I.L. have set the final stage of their plan into motion: to resurrect Galakrond, the progenitor of all dragonkind. But the League of Explorers is hot on their heels...and they're bringing a few dragons of their own.
      Take to the skies — Descent of Dragons is now live!
      WHAT'S INCLUDED
      Galakrond
      Those aligned with E.V.I.L. have the opportunity to resurrect Galakrond, who will manifest into one of five variations based on your class. Best of all, when you go to open your first Descent of Dragons card pack, you’ll recieve all five Galakrond cards for free! Learn more about Galakrond in our Draconic Details blog.

New Keyword: Invoke
      A newly awakened proto-dragon is frightening enough on its own, but Galakrond's strength grows as his followers Invoke him.
      Playing any card with the Invoke keyword will enhance Galakrond's power and enable even greater devastation.
      Sidequests
      You may be familiar with quests, which provide rewards for completing specific objectives during your matches. Sidequests follow that tradition, but have shorter, easier-to-complete objectives to allow you to earn victory more quickly — or even complete multiple sidequests in one game.
      New Spells: Dragon Breath
      The mightiest dragons come with the mightiest dragon breaths. Gain the upper hand over your enemies with these powerful spells that become more powerful if you're holding a dragon.
      Login Rewards and Legendary Quests
      All players who log in to Hearthstone during Descent of Dragons will receive the five Galakrond cards above as well as two Shield of Galakrond cards.
      In addition, a new legendary quest line will be available starting today, granting Descent of Dragon packs, packs from Rise of Shadows and Saviors of Uldum, and a 200 Gold reward.
      Arena Rotation
      A new arena rotation awaits! As of today, the arena now includes cards from the following sets:
      Basic Classic Blackrock Mountain The Grand Tournament One Night in Karazhan Knights of the Frozen Throne Rastakhan's Rumble Descent of Dragons COMING SOON
      Galakrond's Awakening
      The final battle in the Year of the Dragon's solo adventure story arc is Galakrond's Awakening, coming this January! We won't spoil too much, but we hope you're ready to battle E.V.I.L. (or good) and collect 35 new cards! More details on Galakrond's Awakening will be coming soon.

• By Stan
      The Descent of Dragons content update launched with a few bugs that will be fixed in the near future. Namely, Sathrovarr was not intended to become unplayable, some cards are not working at all or showing a system error screen after trying to disenchant them.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Quick updates on where a few of the outstanding issues are:
      Sathrovarr : As a confirmation, Sathrovarr was absolutely not intended to become unplayable with the patch on Thursday. We know what caused this, and it’s going to require us to put a fix in to the launch of Descent of Dragons next Tuesday. As of right now, we expect Sathrovarr to be back to normal on Tuesday.
      Disenchanting Cards: Right now, some cards are showing a system error screen after trying to disenchant them. This is something we can fix on our side, and we’re working to get that out today before the weekend.
      [Hearthstone Battlegrounds] Rafaam’s Hero Power: Last night, we resolved an issue where Rafaam’s Hero Power wasn’t properly allowing a golden upgrade until after buying something. This should be working normally as of right now.
      Missing Cards / Deck Codes: We’ve seen a lot of varying reports of things with cards not working, and there are a few different things at play. We noted previously that as the “Treasures from the Tomb” wild event ended, decks containing the temporary wild cards are going to be unusable, but they may not clearly denote why. If a deck code isn’t working, that’s the first thing to check. Sathrovarr is also likely to cause some issues until we correct that next week. Finally, the team is currently investigating some reports that Treasures from the Tomb cards that were owned in a player’s collection may have disappeared after the event ended. As a reminder, all cards from that event were granted as temporary event cards - they were never actually added to your collection, but simply lived there as separate, special versions of those cards, even if you already had them in your collection. Those event cards are now gone, but anything that was in your collection before the event should still be there. If it isn’t, we’d appreciate more info on what cards you’re missing to help us track this one down.