Obtaining Shadowmourne Guide: Quests, Rewards, Changes
Phase 4 of Wrath of the Lich King introduces the highly sought-after Shadowmourne legendary weapon. Players must first complete a long, difficult quest chain before they can acquire their own. This guide will give you a step-by-step guide on everything you will need to complete before getting your own!
Shadowmourne Quality of Life Changes
With the release of Phase 4, Blizzard has decided to implement numerous buffs to the acquisition of Shadowmourne, greatly improving the rate at which players are able to obtain this legendary weapon. These changes can be seen below or read on the original post:
- Shadowfrost Shard will now drop right away, rather than requiring players be on the The Splintered Throne quest; which is the second to last quest in the chain. This is a massive buff to the rate at which you can get Shadowfrost Shards.
- Shadowfrost Shards will drop at the same rate on 25-man normal difficulty as they do on 25-man heroic difficulty.
- Deathbringer Saurfang, Professor Putricide, Blood-Queen Lana'thel, Sindragosa, and The Lich King now always drop a Shadowfrost Shard on 25-man difficulty.
- Increased drop-rates on Primordial Saronite, as well as adding additional ways to obtain it, with both Defiler's Scourgestone as well as Emblem of Frost.
Shadowmourne Quest Chain
Obtaining a Shadowmourne is not as simple as previous legendary weapons, such as Thori'dal, the Stars' Fury that would simply just drop on boss kill; Shadowmourne can only be forged by players willing to undergo numerous, difficult raid quests within the walls of Icecrown Citadel itself.
Players must first reach friendly with The Ashen Verdict to be able to start the Shadowmourne quest chain. This quest is also only available to Death Knights, Paladins, and Warriors. Below you can find the list of required quests that players must complete in order to unlock their very own legendary weapon:
- The Sacred and the Corrupt
- Shadow's Edge
- A Feast of Souls
- Unholy Infusion
- Blood Infusion
- Frost Infusion
- The Splintered Throne
- The Lich King's Last Stand
It is worth noting that the final quest, The Lich King's Last Stand, is not required to obtain Shadowmourne; it is meant to be a conclusion to the Arthas story as a whole, and grant players additional lore "Easter eggs" for those brave enough to complete this quest chain.
Shadowmourne Quest Chain Rewards
Aside from the obvious Shadowmourne that players get from completing this quest chain, the The Lich King's Last Stand quest grants numerous, extremely rare items. As these items can only be obtained by players that have completed the entire Shadowmourne quest chain above, they will be very rare and highly desirable. Since all of these rewards are bind-on-use, these items are able to be traded to other players, or even sold on the auction house!
- Reins of the Crimson Deathcharger
- Tabard of the Lightbringer
- Jaina's Locket
- Muradin's Favor
- Sylvanas's Music Box
- 01 Jan. 2024: Updated for Phase 5.
- 10 Oct. 2023: Page added for Phase 4 release.
- Season of Discovery XP Buff Is Live Now!
- WoW Classic Era Maintenance Notes: February 6th
- Blizzard Teases Cozy Sleeping Bag for SoD Phase 2
- Timeline of Blizzard Presidents
- New World Buff Coming in Season of Discovery Phase 2
- A List of All Runes Coming in Season of Discovery Phase 2
- Blizzard Bans GDKP Runs in Season of Discovery Starting February 8
- NO GDKP Runs in Season of Discovery Phase 2