Patchwerk Encounter Guide: Strategy, Abilities, Loot
Patchwerk is the first encounter of The Construct Quarter in Wrath of the Lich King Classic's version of the Naxxramas Raid and is commonly the tenth encounter of the instance as a whole. Do not forget to be aware of the various Raid Buffs and Debuffs as you work to optimize your Raid Composition for this encounter's mechanics!
Overview of Patchwerk in Wrath of the Lich King Classic's Naxxramas
Patchwerk is the first boss of The Construct Quarter to be faced in Naxxramas, and is considered a "gear check" encounter. In fact, due to the overall simplicity of the encounter beyond its damage and healing requirements, fights that similarly feature few mechanics have come to be known as "patchwerk"-style bosses!
Role-Specific Tips for Patchwerk
- Assuming that Hateful Strike is only being cast on tanks, they will be the only targets in need of healing. Do not assume that the amount of healing required will be low, however.
- If you are worried about being hit by Hateful Strike, consider briefly stepping into the nearby slime to reduce your health.
- Watch your threat carefully to make sure you do not get hit by Hateful Strike.
- You will want to bring a third tank when fighting this boss in 25-player mode.
- Remember to take advantage of a Rogue's Tricks of the Trade and a Hunter's Misdirection to help maintain threat and ensure that you are targeted for Hateful Strike as an off-tank.
There is a reason that an entire style of fight featuring minimal mechanics was named after Patchwerk...
- Hateful Strike — Patchwerk will inflict a heavy amount of
Physical damage to a target. this target is chosen as the player with the highest
health out of the top 3 (or 2 in 10-man) players with the highest threat that
are in melee range and are not the active tank.
- In other words, if you are doing a lot of damage and are at full health, you will likely be the Hateful Strike target.
- Frenzy — Upon reaching 5% health, Patchwerk will Enrage, gaining 40% additional attack speed and dealing 25% more Physical damage.
Strategy for Patchwerk
The key mechanic to focus on throughout the entirety of your fight with Patchwerk is Hateful Strike. This attack will only be relevant to melee DPS and tank players, meaning everyone else needs to only focus on doing damage and healing. With that being said, there are a few things to remember as a melee when it comes to not being hit by this mechanic:
- Hateful Strike will choose the target based on the top 2 (or 3, in 25-man) players on the threat table that are in melee range, but it cannot target the active tank. This means that so long as the next-highest player(s) on the threat table are tanks, you are safe.
- Hateful Strike will additionally choose the player that has the highest health among those high-threat options. Although there is no other damage occurring on this fight, you can still lower your own health by standing in the nearby slime. By doing so, you can increase your margin of safety if you randomly increase your threat above a tank player's.
With these tips in mind, Patchwerk should just become a matter of making sure his health runs out before any tank player's.
|Blade of Dormant Memories
|Main Hand Dagger
|Drape of Surgery
|Sullen Cloth Boots
|Gauntlets of Combined Strength
|Tainted Girdle of Mending
|Chains of Adoration
|Totem of Hex
|Libram of Tolerance
|Boots of Persuasion
|Sash of Solitude
|Boots of Septic Wounds
|Belt of the Tortured
|Gloves of Calculated Risk
|Girdle of the Gambit
|Crude Discolored Battlegrips
|Waistguard of Divine Grace
Patchwerk is just one of the 15 encounters present in the Naxxramas raid. If you would like to learn more about the others, or would like to see the loot tables of every boss at the same time, please see our other pages for the raid below.
- 27 Sep. 2022: Page added
- Season of Discovery XP Buff Is Live Now!
- WoW Classic Era Maintenance Notes: February 6th
- Blizzard Teases Cozy Sleeping Bag for SoD Phase 2
- Timeline of Blizzard Presidents
- New World Buff Coming in Season of Discovery Phase 2
- A List of All Runes Coming in Season of Discovery Phase 2
- Blizzard Bans GDKP Runs in Season of Discovery Starting February 8
- NO GDKP Runs in Season of Discovery Phase 2