Bone Necromancer Build for Diablo 2 Resurrected
The Bone Necromancer is a classic build that can take on a large variety of content due to its main damage type being Magic. It is also extremely safe with Bone Armor and Bone Prison available as defensive tools. An excellent build that does not require much expensive gear to be effective.
The Bone Necromancer tackles a large variety of monsters by mixing the Magic damage of Bone Spear and the Fire and Physical damage of Corpse Explosion. Additionally, thanks to Bone Armor for Absorbtion and Bone Prison for crowd control, the build is extremely safe and great for a beginner. The biggest downside of the Bone Necro is a slight lack of damage early on during leveling, until more levels or skill bonuses have been acquired.
You can check the viability of this build in PvM by consulting our PvM Tier List.
Bone Necromancer Skill Build
The following section shows the default skill build for the Bone Necromancer. For a detailed breakdown of all core and optional skills as well as the recommended order for allocating skill points, refer to the Skills page of this guide.
- 1 point to all prerequisites
- 20 points to Bone Spirit — Main single target damage dealer, required
- 20 points to Bone Spear — Main damage dealer for small or lined-up groups of monsters, required
- 20 points to Bone Prison — Synergy and useful for very large crowds of small monsters, required
- 20 points to Bone Wall — Synergy, required
- 1+ points to Corpse Explosion — Great for clearing groups of monsters and removing corpses, required
- 20 points to Teeth — Synergy, required
- 1 point to Bone Armor — Prerequisite for Bone Wall and also useful for Physical damage Absorption, required
- 1 point to Amplify Damage — Useful for increasing Corpse Explosion damage and that of party members, required
Bone Necromancer Stat Points and Attributes
|Enough for gear; around 150 total||Enough for gear||Everything else||None|
You can read more details about the Stats and Attribute requirements for this build on our Skills page.
Bone Necromancer Gear
The following section shows some of the most important items for the Bone Necromancer. For a detailed per-slot breakdown of all Bone Necromancer items and alternative builds, refer to the Gear page of this guide.
- Weapon: White Wand with skill bonuses to Bone Spear
- Weapon Swap: Call to Arms and Spirit
- Shield: 35% Increased Cast Rate Spirit Monarch Shield or Homunculus if going for max block
- Body Armor: Enigma
- Helm: Harlequin Crest or Rare circlet with +2 to Necromancer Skills and 20% Faster Cast Rate
- Gloves: Trang-Oul's Clawss or Magefist
- Boots: Ethereal Sandstorm Treks
- Belt: Arachnid Mesh
- Ring 1: The Stone of Jordan, Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band, or Rare ring with +10% Faster Cast Rate, Life, Resistances, and relevant stats
- Ring 2: The Stone of Jordan, Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band, or Rare ring with +10% Faster Cast Rate, Life, Resistances, and relevant stats
- Amulet: Mara's Kaleidoscope or Rare amulet with Necromancer skill bonuses and enough +% Faster Cast Rate to reach the 125% breakpoint
- Charm 1: Necromancer Hellfire Torch
- Charm 2: Annihilus
- Charm 3: 9x Skiller Grand Charms with Life or enough Faster Hit Recovery to hit 86%
- Charm 4: 10 Small Charms with Life, Resistances, Mana, or Faster Hit Recovery, depending on needs
MrLlamaSC's Bone Necromancer Video Guide
We also have a video guide that goes over the build, if you prefer that instead of or in addition to our written guide.
Bone Necromancer Breakpoints
In Diablo 2, stats that affect action speed (known as frames) for attacking, casting, blocking, and recovering from a hit can almost never be taken literally. For example, gaining 10% Increased Attack Speed from an item will not necessarily translate into 10% faster attacks. To achieve faster actions, certain breakpoints must be reached, which vary for every class. The tables below list how much of a given stat is required to actually improve the action speed of the class for the stated action.
Faster Hit Recovery Breakpoints
|Hit Recovery Breakpoints|
|Frames to perform action||13||12||11||10||9||8||7||6||5|
|Faster Hit Recovery required to reach frame||0%||5%||10%||16%||26%||39%||56%||86%||152%|
Faster Cast Rate Breakpoints
|Faster Cast Rate Breakpoints|
|Frames to perform action||15||14||13||12||11||10||9|
|Faster Cast Rate required to reach frame||0%||9%||18%||30%||48%||75%||125%|
Faster Block Rate Breakpoints
|Faster Block Rate Breakpoints|
|Frames to perform action||11||10||9||8||7||6||5||4|
|Faster Block Rate required to reach frame||0%||6%||13%||20%||32%||52%||86%||174%|
Bone Necromancer Mercenary
You can either hire a Defensive (Holy Freeze) or Offensive (Might) Desert Guard Mercenary in Act 2, Nightmare difficulty, depending on whether you want to slow monsters for added safety or improve the overall damage of your Mercenary.
- Weapon: Ethereal Insight or The Reaper's Toll
- Body Armor: Ethereal Fortitude
- Helm: Andariel's Visage socketed with a Ral Rune
Bone Necromancer Early Leveling
This is an early leveling progression for the Bone Necromancer
- 5 points to Teeth
- 1 point to Clay Golem at level 6
- 5 points to Teeth between level 6 and 10
- 1 point to Amplify Damage at level 11
- 1 point to Iron Maiden at level 12
- 1 point to Corpse Explosion at level 13
- All remaining points to Teeth until level 18
- Max Bone Spear at level 18 and beyond
- Respec to add Bone Prison when heading into Nightmare
For more comprehensive leveling advice, please refer to our Necromancer Fastest Leveling Build.
- Blizzard Working on an Unannounced Open-World RPG Shooter
- Blizzard on Recent Diablo 2 Server Outages
- Connection Issues Continue to Plague Diablo 2 Servers
- Diablo 2: Resurrected Patch 10.12 Notes, October 12th
- Diablo 2 Server Connection Issues: October 11th
- Diablo 4's New Game Director is Joe Shelly
- Diablo 4 Quarterly Update: October 2021
- The First Uber Diablo in Diablo 2: Resurrected Killed, First Annihilus After 120+ SoJs Sold