Summoner Necromancer Build for Diablo 2 Resurrected
The Summon Necromancer is an iconic build dating back to the very beginning of Diablo 2. With a variety of crowd controlling Curses and a large army of minions, the Summoner is known for being the safest build in the entire game.
The Summon Necromancer is a classic build that can raise a large army of Minions through Raise Skeleton, Raise Skeletal Mage, Revive, and a Golem of their choosing. Combined with an array of debilitating Curses, this build is popular both for solo and party play.
You can check the viability of this build in PvM by consulting our PvM Tier List.
Summoner Necromancer Skill Build
The following section shows the default skill build for the Summon Necromancer. For a detailed breakdown of all core and optional skills as well as the recommended order for allocating skill points, refer to the Skills page of this guide.
- 1 point to all prerequisites
- 20 points to Raise Skeleton — Max immediately, required
- 20 points to Skeleton Mastery — 1 point immediately, then max after Raise Skeleton, required
- 1 point to Clay Golem — 1 point immediately, required
- 1+ points to Corpse Explosion — Area of effect damage to support your Minions, required
- 1 point to Summon Resist — Resistances for Minions, can respec out of points later on, required
- 1 point to Amplify Damage — Main damage curse for your Minions, required
- 1 point to Decrepify — Main survivability curse for your Minions, required
Summoner Necromancer Stat Points and Attributes
|Enough for gear; around 150 total||Enough for gear||Everything else||None|
You can read more details about the Stats and Attribute requirements for this build on our Skills page.
Summoner Necromancer Gear
The following section shows some of the most important items for the Summon Necromancer. For a detailed per-slot breakdown of all Summon Necromancer items and alternative builds, refer to the Gear page of this guide.
- Weapon: Ethereal Beast
- Weapon Swap: Call to Arms and Spirit
- Shield: 35% Faster Cast Rate Spirit Monarch Shield
- Body Armor: Enigma
- Helm: Harlequin Crest
- Gloves: Trang-Oul's Clawss or Magefist
- Boots: Marrowwalk
- Belt: Arachnid Mesh
- Ring 1: The Stone of Jordan or Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band
- Ring 2: The Stone of Jordan or Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band
- Amulet: Mara's Kaleidoscope
- Charm 1: Necromancer Hellfire Torch
- Charm 2: Annihilus
- Charm 3: 9x Summoning Skiller Grand Charms with Life or enough Faster Hit Recovery to hit 86% or 152% Faster Hit Recovery
- Charm 4: 10 Small Charms with Life, Resistances, Mana, or Faster Hit Recovery, depending on needs
MrLlamaSC's Summoner Necromancer Video Guide
We also have a video guide that goes over the build, if you prefer that instead of or in addition to our written guide.
Summoner Necromancer Breakpoints
In Diablo 2, stats that affect action speed (known as frames) for attacking, casting, blocking, and recovering from a hit can almost never be taken literally. For example, gaining 10% Increased Attack Speed from an item will not necessarily translate into 10% faster attacks. To achieve faster actions, certain breakpoints must be reached, which vary for every class. The tables below list how much of a given stat is required to actually improve the action speed of the class for the stated action.
Faster Hit Recovery Breakpoints
|Hit Recovery Breakpoints|
|Frames to perform action||13||12||11||10||9||8||7||6||5|
|Faster Hit Recovery required to reach frame||0%||5%||10%||16%||26%||39%||56%||86%||152%|
Faster Cast Rate Breakpoints
|Faster Cast Rate Breakpoints|
|Frames to perform action||15||14||13||12||11||10||9|
|Faster Cast Rate required to reach frame||0%||9%||18%||30%||48%||75%||125%|
Faster Block Rate Breakpoints
|Faster Block Rate Breakpoints|
|Frames to perform action||11||10||9||8||7||6||5||4|
|Faster Block Rate required to reach frame||0%||6%||13%||20%||32%||52%||86%||174%|
Summoner Necromancer Mercenary
You want an Offensive ( Might) Act 2 Nightmare Mercenary here because you do not want to have any Cold damage that could shatter corpses. The Aura also improves the damage of your Minions.
- Weapon: Ethereal Pride
- Body Armor: Ethereal Fortitude
- Helm: Andariel's Visage socketed with a Ral Rune
Summoner Necromancer Early Leveling
The following leveling build is a generic early Summoning progression.
- 1 point to Raise Skeleton
- 1 point to Amplify Damage
- 1 point to Skeleton Mastery
- 3 points to Raise Skeleton
- 1 point to Clay Golem
- All points to Raise Skeleton until level 12
- 1 point to Golem Mastery at level 12
- All points to Raise Skeleton until level 24
- 1 point to Summon Resist at level 24
- All remaining points to Skeleton Mastery
For more comprehensive leveling advice, please refer to our Necromancer Fastest Leveling Build.
- Blizzard Working on an Unannounced Open-World RPG Shooter
- Blizzard on Recent Diablo 2 Server Outages
- Connection Issues Continue to Plague Diablo 2 Servers
- Diablo 2: Resurrected Patch 10.12 Notes, October 12th
- Diablo 2 Server Connection Issues: October 11th
- Diablo 4's New Game Director is Joe Shelly
- Diablo 4 Quarterly Update: October 2021
- The First Uber Diablo in Diablo 2: Resurrected Killed, First Annihilus After 120+ SoJs Sold