Diablo Farming Guide (Chaos Run) in Diablo 2
Diablo is the final boss of Act Four, and defeating him is required to progress to Act Five.
In this guide we will cover what a Chaos Run is, what the requirements are, what loot you can expect to receive, and how to best defeat Diablo and all of the Monsters in the Chaos Sanctuary.
What Is a Chaos Run?
A Chaos run is generally done in large groups for Experience or Solo for Magic Finding. The Chaos Sanctuary is at the end of Act 4 where Diablo is located and is also one of the more difficult locations to clear in the game. This is due to the various Monsters that have Immunities to certain types of damage, Curses, as well as large amount of Champions, Unique, and Super Unique Monsters.
Where Is The Chaos Sanctuary Located?
The Chaos Sanctuary is located beyond the River of Flame. It is also one of the few places in the game that will always be in the same location. From the River of Flame Waypoint, you can head towards the upper right corner and keep going straight at that angle. You will inevitably run into the entrance of the Sanctuary.
Can I Do a Chaos Run?
A Chaos Run is a true testament to how well geared and leveled you are for the game in all difficulties. From the table below, I would try to be at or above the indicated level per Difficulty to do this by yourself. If you are with a group, you can be a little bit lower level, but be sure to focus your damage on the Oblivion Knight monsters first, as they will Curse you in a variety of deadly ways. You also want to generally have some decent items to hit a few of the Character Breakpoints to make things easier.
Tips for Chaos Runs?
There are a lot of Monsters inside the Chaos Sanctuary so therefore it will require you to prioritize certain Monsters to make life easier.
- Oblivion Knights will cast Curses like Amplify Damage, Weaken, and Decrepify against you. It is best to kill these first.
- Venom Lords have a high Fire Damage output, and their Melee Attack does some heavy damage as well. Try to stay away or stack Fire Resistance against them to defeat them.
- The third most common Monster is Storm Casters. They do not usually hurt as badly at most stages of the game, so it is best to kill these last if possible or clear them up quickly as they are the least tanky of the group, especially since they do have a lot of Mana Burn.
And last but not least, Diablo. Diablo does Fire, Cold, Physical, and Lightning damage.
- Try to avoid his Lightning and Firestorm by running around in a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction when he starts to attack.
- Some things you will not be able to dodge versus him, so having decent Resistances is a must.
- If you have to Melee him, be very careful when standing nearby and make sure to have Thawing Potions or Cannot be Frozen Gear, if he hits you with Cold Damage.
- One bug in Nightmare and Hell is that his Lightning Breath actually starts further away from his body though, so if you are in those Difficulties sometimes you can stand right on top of him and his deadly attack will miss. Always be careful, however, as he still has plenty of other killing attacks and if you make one wrong step it can lead to death.
- It is smart to place a safe town portal and go heal and stock up potions when necessary.
- 23 Sep. 2021: Guide added.
- Join Us Live on Twitch for the Icy Veins Podcast
- US Federal Trade Commission "Likely to File Antitrust Lawsuit" to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Blizzard in China: All the Details, Rumors and New Information
- NetEase Message to Chinese Blizzard Game Players
- NetEase Responds to Blizzard Licensing Agreement Expiration
- Most Blizzard Game Services to Be Suspended in China on January 23rd
- Activision Blizzard Q3 2022 Financial Results
- Diablo 2 Resurrected Patch 2.5.2 Release Notes