Smiter Paladin Build for Diablo 2 Resurrected
With its strong single target stunning attack that never misses and great survivability thanks to its high Life and Life Leech, the Smiter Paladin can take down any Boss with very little quality gear. For this reason, the Smiter is commonly used to solo Uber Tristram. While the build is extremely good at killing isolated targets, it suffers from a glaring lack of area of effect damage, making it a poor choice for general play.
One of the best and cheapest Boss killers in the game, it takes very little gear to make a Smiter effective. Smite, the skill around which the build revolves, never misses its target and hits very quickly, allowing the Smiter to take advantage of on-hit effects such as Chance of Crushing Blow. The Smiter is rarely seen outside Uber Tristram due to its severe lack of area of effect damage, making it one of the most specialised
You can check the viability of this build in PvM by consulting our PvM Tier List.
Smiter Paladin Skill Build
The following section shows the core skills for the Smiter. For a detailed breakdown of all core and optional skills as well as the recommended order for allocating skill points, refer to the Skills page of this guide.
- 1 point to all prerequisites
- 20 points to Smite — Main skill of the build
- 20 points to Holy Shield — Synergy for Smite and powerful defensive buff
- 20 points to Fanaticism — Main Aura, providing both attack speed and damage
Smiter Paladin Stat Points and Attributes
|Enough for gear; around 150 total||Enough for max Block; around 150 total||Everything else||None|
You can read more details about the Stats and Attribute requirements for the Smiter on our Skills page.
Smiter Paladin Gear
The following section shows some of the most important items for the Smiter. For a detailed per-slot breakdown of all Smiter items and alternative builds, refer to the Gear page of this guide.
- Weapon: Grief or Last Wish, Phase Blade preferred due to its Indestructibility
- Weapon Swap: Call to Arms and Spirit
- Shield: Ethereal Exile Vortex Shield or Herald of Zakarum
- Body Armor: Chains of Honor
- Helm: Guillaume's Face
- Gloves: Dracul's Grasp or gloves with +20% Increased Attack Speed (if using Exile)
- Boots: Goblin Toes
- Belt: Thundergod's Vigor
- Ring 1: Raven Frost
- Ring 2: Raven Frost, Dwarf Star, or Wisp Projector
- Amulet: Mara's Kaleidoscope
- Charm 1: Paladin Hellfire Torch
- Charm 2: Annihilus
- Charm 3: Small Charms with Resistances or Faster Hit Recovery, depending on needs
- Charm 4: Small Charms with as much Life as possible to fill the rest of your inventory
MrLlamaSC's Smiter Paladin Video Guide
We also have a video guide that goes over the build, if you prefer that instead of or in addition to our written guide.
Smiter Paladin Breakpoints
In Diablo 2, stats that affect action speed (known as frames) for attacking, casting, blocking, and recovering from a hit can almost never be taken literally. For example, gaining 10% Increased Attack Speed from an item will not necessarily translate into 10% faster attacks. To achieve faster actions, certain breakpoints must be reached, which vary for every class. The tables below list how much of a given stat is required to actually improve the action speed of the class for the stated action.
Faster Hit Recovery Breakpoints
|Faster Hit Recovery Breakpoints (1-Handed Weapons)|
|Frames to perform action||9||8||7||6||5||4||3|
|Faster Hit Recovery required to reach frame||0%||7%||15%||27%||48%||86%||200%|
Faster Cast Rate Breakpoints
|Faster Cast Rate Breakpoints|
|Frames to perform action||15||14||13||12||11||10||9|
|Faster Cast Rate required to reach frame||0%||9%||18%||30%||48%||75%||125%|
Faster Block Rate Breakpoints
|Faster Block Rate Breakpoints (No Holy Shield)|
|Frames to perform action||5||4||3||2|
|Faster Block Rate required to reach frame||0%||13%||32%||86%|
Faster Block Rate Breakpoints (With Holy Shield)
|Faster Block Rate Breakpoints (With Holy Shield)|
|Frames to perform action||2||1|
|Faster Block Rate required to reach frame||0%||86%|
Smiter Paladin Mercenary
Since Mercenaries rarely make it out of Uber Tristram alive, dedicated Smiters rarely opt to even hire a Mercenary. For the rest of the game however, you can either hire a Defensive (Holy Freeze) or Offensive (Might) Desert Guard Mercenary in Act 2, Nightmare difficulty, depending on whether you want to slow monsters for added safety or improve your overall damage as well as that of your Mercenary.
- Weapon: Ethereal Pride, Breath of the Dying, or The Reaper's Toll
- Body Armor: Ethereal Fortitude
- Helm: Andariel's Visage socketed with a Ral Rune
Smiter Paladin Early Leveling
This is an early leveling build for the Smiter.
- 1 point to Might
- 20 points to Smite
- 1 point to Holy Bolt
- 1 point to Blessed Hammer
- 1 point to Charge
- 1 point to Blessed Aim
- 1 point to Concentration
- All points to Holy Shield until level 29
- 1 point to Fanaticism at level 30
- All points to Holy Shield until Maxed
- All points to Fanaticism until Maxed
For more comprehensive leveling advice, please refer to our Paladin Fastest Leveling Build.
- Blizzard Working on an Unannounced Open-World RPG Shooter
- Blizzard on Recent Diablo 2 Server Outages
- Connection Issues Continue to Plague Diablo 2 Servers
- Diablo 2: Resurrected Patch 10.12 Notes, October 12th
- Diablo 2 Server Connection Issues: October 11th
- Diablo 4's New Game Director is Joe Shelly
- Diablo 4 Quarterly Update: October 2021
- The First Uber Diablo in Diablo 2: Resurrected Killed, First Annihilus After 120+ SoJs Sold