Avenger Paladin Build for Diablo 2 Resurrected
The Avenger Paladin is a somewhat gear-dependent build that uses Vengeance and Conviction to deal Physical, Fire, Cold, and Lightning damage. This makes the build remarkably versatile, as any Immunity can be dealt with easily. The Avenger lacks any area of effect damage however, making it generally slow.
The Avenger uses Vengeance to defeat his enemies through four different types of damage: Physical, Fire, Cold, and Lightning. Thanks to Conviction, the Avenger should never run into a monster he cannot fight, though he is much better against isolated foes than large groups.
You can check the viability of this build in PvM by consulting our PvM Tier List.
Avenger Paladin Skill Build
The following section shows the default skill build for the Avenger. For a detailed breakdown of all core and optional skills as well as the recommended order for allocating skill points, refer to the Skills page of this guide.
- 1 point to all prerequisites
- 20 points to Vengeance — Main damage skill, required
- 1 points to Holy Shield — Great to maximise chance to block and faster block frames, required
- 20 points to Conviction — Main damage support aura, required
- Max out the following synergies in whatever order you prefer. Resist Lightning would be a solid first choice.
- 20 points to Resist Fire — Synergy for Vengeance and increases Maximum Fire Resistance, required
- 20 points to Resist Cold — Synergy for Vengeance and increases Maximum Cold Resistance, required
- 20 points to Resist Lightning — Synergy for Vengeance and increases Maximum Lightning Resistance, required
- 1+ points to Salvation — Synergy to max out last as it does not give as much damage as the 3 other synergies
Note that since Vengeance is only available from level 18 onward, playing as an Avenger from the start of the game is not possible. For a smoother leveling experience, we recommend using a generic melee Paladin build with Holy Fire and Zeal. Upon reaching level 18, you can simply start adding points into Vengeance and respect into using Conviction. For more information, refer to the Early Leveling section of this guide.
Avenger Paladin Stat Points and Attributes
|Enough for gear; around 150 total||Enough for max Block; around 150 total||Everything else||None|
You can read more details about the Stats and Attribute requirements for this build on our Skills page.
Avenger Paladin Gear
The following section shows some of the most important items for the Avenger. For a detailed per-slot breakdown of all Avenger items and alternative builds, refer to the Gear page of this guide.
- Weapon: Ethereal Breath of the Dying
- Weapon Swap: Call to Arms and Spirit
- Shield: Dream
- Body Armor: Chains of Honor
- Helm: Dream
- Gloves: Dracul's Grasp
- Boots: Gore Rider
- Belt: String of Ears
- Ring 1: Raven Frost
- Ring 2: Rare ring with % Life and Mana Leech per Hit
- Amulet: Mara's Kaleidoscope
- Charm 1: Paladin Hellfire Torch
- Charm 2: Annihilus
- Charm 3: 9 Combat Skiller Grand Charms with Life
- Charm 4: 10 Small Charms with Life, Resistances, Mana, or Faster Hit Recovery, depending on needs
MrLlamaSC's Avenger Paladin Video Guide
We also have a video guide that goes over the build, if you prefer that instead of or in addition to our written guide.
Avenger Paladin Breakpoints
In Diablo 2, stats that affect action speed (known as frames) for attacking, casting, blocking, and recovering from a hit can almost never be taken literally. For example, gaining 10% Increased Attack Speed from an item will not necessarily translate into 10% faster attacks. To achieve faster actions, certain breakpoints must be reached, which vary for every class. The tables below list how much of a given stat is required to actually improve the action speed of the class for the stated action.
Faster Hit Recovery Breakpoints
|Faster Hit Recovery Breakpoints (1-Handed Weapons)|
|Frames to perform action||9||8||7||6||5||4||3|
|Faster Hit Recovery required to reach frame||0%||7%||15%||27%||48%||86%||200%|
Faster Cast Rate Breakpoints
|Faster Cast Rate Breakpoints|
|Frames to perform action||15||14||13||12||11||10||9|
|Faster Cast Rate required to reach frame||0%||9%||18%||30%||48%||75%||125%|
Faster Block Rate Breakpoints
|Faster Block Rate Breakpoints (No Holy Shield)|
|Frames to perform action||5||4||3||2|
|Faster Block Rate required to reach frame||0%||13%||32%||86%|
Faster Block Rate Breakpoints (With Holy Shield)
|Faster Block Rate Breakpoints (With Holy Shield)|
|Frames to perform action||2||1|
|Faster Block Rate required to reach frame||0%||86%|
Avenger Paladin Mercenary
You can either hire a Defensive (Holy Freeze) or Offensive (Might) Desert Guard Mercenary in Act 2, Nightmare difficulty, depending on whether you want to slow monsters for added safety or improve your overall damage as well as that of your Mercenary. You also hire an Act 1 Cold Rogue Mercenary with Faith (to provide you with Fanaticism) as its weapon.
- Weapon (Act 1 Rogue): Faith Diamond Bow or Great Bow
- Weapon (Act 2 Desert Guard): Ethereal Insight
- Body Armor: Ethereal Fortitude
- Helm: Andariel's Visage socketed with a Ral Rune
Avenger Paladin Early Leveling
The following section features a generic melee Paladin skill point progression meant to make leveling towards becoming an Avenger smoother.
- 1 point to Might
- 1 point to Sacrifice
- All points to Resist Fire until level 6
- All points to Holy Fire until level 12
- 1 point to Zeal at level 12
- All points to Holy Fire until level 18, where you can start playing with Vengeance
For more comprehensive leveling advice, please refer to our Paladin Fastest Leveling Build.
- Icy Veins Launches Genshin Impact Guides Section
- Upcoming Dev Campfire Chat: November 30th
- Player Gathers All Uber Uniques and Asks “Did I Beat the Game?”
- Diablo 4 Steam Discount and Free Trial
- Diablo 4 Patch 1.2.2 Hotfixes: November 20th
- Diablo 4 Mother’s Blessing XP and Gold Buff Bugged, to Be Increased and Live This Week
- Diablo 4 Patch 1.2.2 Hotfixes: November 17th
- Mother’s Blessing Returns to Sanctuary (November 20-27)