Grand Companies Overview for FFXIV
This page contains information about the Grand Companies of Eorzea, their benefits, and rewards that can be obtained from them.
This page is aimed towards newer players, but still contains vital information concerning Grand Companies that veterans may need a refresher on.
The Grand Companies of Eorzea
The Grand Companies of Eorzea were formed by the three city-states with the goal of protecting their homeland. Players are invited to join a Grand Company of their choosing during the Main Scenario Quest (quest obtained at MSQ Level 20). Grand Companies offer the player a plethora of rewards, as well as missions that reward large amounts of experience points.
Which Grand Company Should I Choose?
It is extremely easy to choose a Grand Company, just choose the one you like the most!
The Grand Company you choose has no bearing on anything except for the location and the cosmetics you can receive. Additionally, you can swap Grand Companies at any time, although this comes with a fee.
If you have no preference based on the cosmetics offered, you can also choose based on the cities, their Grand Company, and the lore behind their establishment. We have included a small summary of the lore surrounding each of the three, as well as which city each belongs to.
- The Immortal Flames (Ul'Dah): the bulk of Ul'dah's military strength comes from their standing army of mercenaries and the small contingent of the palace guard known as the Sultansworn. To bring order to their ranks and oversee additional wartime training, the Sultana has considered resurrecting the Immortal Flames — an elite force of battle-hardened veterans that once instilled fear in the city-state's neighboring nations during ages past. This unit would act as a core aspect of the army, essentially bolstering its power, and in effect grant more authority to the Sultana and her advisers — something of which those in control of the city-state's economy — namely the Syndicate — are wary.
- The Maelstrom (Limsa Lominsa): at the heart of the Thalassocratic Navy lies the Lominsan Armada, composed of nine independent squadrons, the First through the Ninth. The Maelstrom is an extension of the First Squadron, expanding its role as armada flagship and granting it power to administer not only the remaining eight squadrons, but the various merchant fleets that navigate the seas off Vylbrand. With the reestablishment of the Maelstrom, the Admiral has also begun the move to invoke ancient maritime law, by which she would promote herself to Chief Admiral, effectively expanding her authority to cover not only state and military dealings, but grant her the power to directly command all ships in Lominsan waters, and freely punish any who disobey. Needless to say, the city-state's pirates are not about to take this encroachment on their freedom without a fight.
- The Order of the Twin Adder (Gridania): The Order of the Twin Adder establishes a medium from which the Seedseers can return from their wanderings deep within the Black Shroud and directly oversee not only the safety of Gridania's citizens, but the workings of the local guard, Both the Gods' Quiver, who defend the forest from external threats, and the Wood Wailers, who protect it from internal strife, have expressed their support of this temporary measure. There are, however, those within Gridania who would question the ability of the Seedseers, whose duties until now have been limited to various ritualistic proceedings, and doubt whether or not they are fit to lead a nation into war.
Grand Company Ranks
Grand Companies operate on a military ranking system, with new recruits starting off with the rank of Private Third Class. Promotions can be earned by paying a currency called Grand Company seals, which are rewarded from all Grand Company-related activities. Additionally, players must complete dungeons, quests, and missions to rank up further via completion of the Grand Company Hunting Log. By increasing your rank, players can unlock new dungeons and purchase more items, as well as hold more Grand Company seals.
Currently, the ranking systems is as follows:
|Seals Required to Rank Up
|Private Third Class
|Private Second Class
|Private First Class
|Sergeant Third Class
|Completion of Company Hunting Log Rank 1
|Sergeant Second Class
|Sergeant First Class
|Completion of the quest "Shadows Uncast"
|Completion of the quest "Gilding the Bilious" and Company Hunting Log Rank 2
|Rank 3 Adventurer Squadron
|Completion of 5 Unique Command Missions and Squadron Mission "Flagged Mission: Sapper Strike"
Grand Company Missions
Grand Companies offer a variety of missions that give rewards. Apart from experience, these missions, as well as other Grand Company-related quests, reward Grand Company seals. These seals can be used to purchase items from the Grand Company Quartermaster, located in each Company Hall.
Supply and Provisioning Missions
By talking to the Grand Company Personnel Officer, you can undertake Supply and Provisioning Delivery Missions. These are for Disciples of the Hand and Land. By delivering items, you can gain a large amount of experience points and Grand Company seals. This reward is doubled if the item turned in is of High Quality, and doubled again if the turn-in is starred. Each day, there is one delivery request for each of the classes, and it resets daily, making it a great source of experience points for crafting and gathering classes.
It is worth noting that the experience offered and items required are locked in when the quest resets — if you are Level 30 when the reset happens and then level to Level 50 throughout the day, the reward will still be scaled to Level 30 until the next reset.
Expert Delivery Missions
Upon reaching the rank of Sergeant Second Class, players become eligible for Expert Delivery Missions. By donating rare equipment to the Grand Company, players can receive Grand Company seals. Any sellable equipment found in dungeons, raids, or trials, as well as equipment received from tomestone vendors are eligible to be turned in.
Grand Company Levequests
Grand Company Leves are special missions available only to members of a specific Grand Company. These are quests that require you to complete an objective in the local area. Completion of these quests reward experience points and Grand Company seals.
Grand Company Hunting Log
The Grand Company Hunting Log is similar to the Class Hunting Logs, except you are rewarded with Grand Company seals instead of experience points. Certain mobs in the Log are only found within dungeons. Players can unlock new ranks in the Hunting Log by increasing their Grand Company rank.
Rewards from Grand Companies
By joining a Grand Company, you can purchase a plethora of rewards, including unique equipment, emotes, housing items, and cosmetics.
To unlock mounts, you must join a Grand Company and complete the My Little Chocobo quest, which is available once you are at Level 20 in the Main Story Quest. You must purchase the Chocobo Issuance available for 200 Grand Company Seals in order to complete it. Upon completing the quest, you unlock the ability to use any mount you have previously acquired in the open world.
While Retainer Ventures are available from other sources, the best way to acquire them is through purchasing them with Grand Company seals.
Grand Company Quartermaster
Each Grand Company has a Quartermaster located in the Company Hall. A multitude of items is able to be purchased from them with Grand Company seals. By ranking up in your Grand Company, you unlock more items that can be purchased.
Items that can be purchased include, but are not limited to:
- Unique Grand Company equipment;
- Unique Grand Company housing items;
- Glamour Prisms and Glamour Dispellers;
- Engineering and Survival Manuals;
- Crafting materials;
- Relic Weapon materials;
Changing Your Grand Company
Players are allowed to change Grand Companies upon reaching the rank of Second Lieutenant. There is a 15-day restriction on switching, and upon switching to a new Grand Company, your rank will start at Private Third Class. In addition, your seals do not carry over as each Grand Company has a different type of seal. However, you will retain your ranking and accumulated seals in any Grand Company you were in previously.
Changing your Grand Company for the first time is free, and any subsequent switches will cost 50,000 gil.
The Adventurer Squadron is a system where you recruit, train, and command a group of NPC adventurers to fight alongside you in instanced dungeons.
You can read more about them on our dedicated Squadrons guide linked below.
- 30 Oct. 2021: Restructured Ranks section.
- 15 Oct. 2021: Guide added.
- Join the FFXIV Open Beta Test on Xbox Series X and S
- FFXIV x FFXVI Crossover Event: A Path Infernal - Sponsored by Butterfinger
- The Moogle Treasure Trove Returns to FFXIV with New Rewards and Challenges! - Sponsored by Butterfinger
- FFXIV - The Maidens Rhapsody: A Tribute to Final Fantasy XI
- FFXIV - Patch 6.55: What to Expect From Endwalkers Last Patch - Sponsored by Butterfinger
- FFXIV - New Hydaelyn and Zodiark Figure
- FFXIV - Pre-Order the New Endwalker Art Collection and Get a Zodiark Idol Minion
- FFXIV Dawntrail: Zones and Battle Content - Sponsored by Butterfinger