FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

5.4 Destruction Tips and Quirks

Destro guide updated.  Formatting coming Monday.  I just finished it and don't have time to add all the spell IDs.  It'll look as sexy as the Demo and Aff guide soon.  Removed BiS gear profile because it doesn't matter.

Ended up being easy to test:

Reduce all embers to less than one (recommend getting 6-8 ember bits). Pop Dark Soul (and in my case Berserking, meta will proc) apply immolate to the four target dummies. Conflag twice, Cast incinerates and conflag on cooldown. You should easily generate two embers, one of which should happen while the 4p is active, especially if you have any kind of sizeable haste, I did it with 6700 haste. If you're having trouble, ask a heroism class to pop it for you when you apply the Immolates.

Can not refresh.

Had 2p proc just before the 4p fell off, ember filled just as 2p fell off and 4p did not proc (<15 sec after proc, <10 seconds after it fell off). In fact...the next try I managed to fill up all four embers in under 15 seconds using immolate/conflagrate/incinerate with only one 4p proc. Next attempt took slightly longer and it proced. Definitely leaning to the 10 sec after proc dissipates (truly a 15 second ICD on proc, sortof like a mini trinket).

Will try to pay closer attention during FoB on Siegecrafter Sunday.

so i had a thought. Its always been at 3.5 embers if you have no procs you blow an ember. With the tier 16 4 set bonus, would we want to push it to 4 embers, to activate the set bonus to dump embers with the 15% crit chance? Could lose some emberbits, but each time (or every other time) you filled that last ember it would have the proc immediately for an immo and CB or such, instead of hitting 3 embers, pushing to 3.5 and maybe missing the window. From what i understand you don't want to fire of a CB everytime you get the proc, cause then you'll simply be using them as soon you get embers, and be short on embers when you get the high int procs. Lets say you push to 4, get the 15% crit, fire off CB to dump, then trinkets proc, you've still got 4, instead of trying to get to 3.5 and missing the proc, or just burning at 3, so you'd be at 2 embers when trinkets proc. Its just a thought. Wasn't sure whats the best way to tackle it, and can't test it since i don't have the 4 set yet.

Basically, we know we have to dump some CB with no procs...is it worth it to push 4 embers, so atleast a few we dump will have a small proc?

Edited by Ilyenna

I'm curious as to whether or not I follow simcraft off of a cliff. It's telling me my weights are 

Int: 1           

Crit: .61

Haste: .54

Mastery: .52

It is telling me that Mastery will eventually be more valuble than everything else because of the way it scales

http://cl.ly/image/053z0G3k3l1U

but other similarly geared locks are getting wildly different results than me. Can somebody confirm this is correct? It would be greatly appreciated.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kiljaeden/Warlolck/advanced

Edited by boxed

so i had a thought. Its always been at 3.5 embers if you have no procs you blow an ember. With the tier 16 4 set bonus, would we want to push it to 4 embers, to activate the set bonus to dump embers with the 15% crit chance? Could lose some emberbits, but each time (or every other time) you filled that last ember it would have the proc immediately for an immo and CB or such, instead of hitting 3 embers, pushing to 3.5 and maybe missing the window. From what i understand you don't want to fire of a CB everytime you get the proc, cause then you'll simply be using them as soon you get embers, and be short on embers when you get the high int procs. Lets say you push to 4, get the 15% crit, fire off CB to dump, then trinkets proc, you've still got 4, instead of trying to get to 3.5 and missing the proc, or just burning at 3, so you'd be at 2 embers when trinkets proc. Its just a thought. Wasn't sure whats the best way to tackle it, and can't test it since i don't have the 4 set yet.

Basically, we know we have to dump some CB with no procs...is it worth it to push 4 embers, so atleast a few we dump will have a small proc?

If you are at 4.0 Embers, you could waste an emberbit proc via Immolate ticks, Rain of Fire ticks, etc.  If you're dependent on using the proc, use it at 3.0 Embers, not 4.0.  Also, if you missed the discussion on the 4pc bonus, it has a 10 sec ICD, so you can't rely on a proc every time you fill an Ember.  If you filled a 4th Ember within 10 seconds of filling a 3rd, you'd be wasting emberbits.

I'm curious as to whether or not I follow simcraft off of a cliff. It's telling me my weights are 

Int: 1           

Crit: .61

Haste: .54

Mastery: .52

It is telling me that Mastery will eventually be more valuble than everything else because of the way it scales

http://cl.ly/image/053z0G3k3l1U

but other similarly geared locks are getting wildly different results than me. Can somebody confirm this is correct? It would be greatly appreciated.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kiljaeden/Warlolck/advanced

Not sure if you manually typed in that URL address, but Warlock is misspelled.  Also, please refer to Kari's post that links my thoughts and concerns on Simulationcraft.  Cheers.

Not dependant..just was wondering how to maximize its use. So I guess if you're not dumping at the same time or combining it with high int procs its more or less used to generate embers. Refresh immo with 15% more crit and stuff. Just wanted to bounce the idea off you. Ty zagam.

If you procced one on your second, missed a proc on your third, it's a good chance under normal circumstances (not AoEing like mad) that your fourth ember will proc one. Best bet in that situation would be to start casting Chaos Bolt as you're 8/10 or 9/10 emberbits of your fourth (since you're about to max your embers you should be doing it anyway) and if your 4p happens to proc as you fill it, bonus! If not it will shortly after and you could use another Chaos Bolt to use your newly generated third ember.

In reality you should have used one before then, maybe on your second ember with the 4p proc (since you missed the third) or an int proc. You need to be able to estimate how long it will take you to fill your next ember by looking at your conflag/backdrafts available; this takes practice. If you just filled your second ember and procced 4p, and think you can fill another ember within 15 seconds after (because you have rapid incinerates/conflags coming and a high crit immolate, thus you'll skip the third ember and not proc again until your fourth) you may consider using up an ember on Chaos Bolt now (wasting 2-3 seconds) and then spam your incinerates to hopefully proc your 4p on the third (now second) ember.

I try to cast a Chaos Bolt with the 4p proc if I have another Int/Dark Soul proc up (which you'll be using the embers for anyway), otherwise I Conflag (fishing for 2p procs for Immolate/Incinerate), reapply Immolate if it isn't empowered and in the refresh range, and spam Incinerate if nothing else. Basically your normal rotation in most circumstances will get you most of the benefit.

If you procced one on your second, missed a proc on your third, it's a good chance under normal circumstances (not AoEing like mad) that your fourth ember will proc one. Best bet in that situation would be to start casting Chaos Bolt as you're 8/10 or 9/10 emberbits of your fourth (since you're about to max your embers you should be doing it anyway) and if your 4p happens to proc as you fill it, bonus! If not it will shortly after and you could use another Chaos Bolt to use your newly generated third ember.

In reality you should have used one before then, maybe on your second ember with the 4p proc (since you missed the third) or an int proc. You need to be able to estimate how long it will take you to fill your next ember by looking at your conflag/backdrafts available; this takes practice. If you just filled your second ember and procced 4p, and think you can fill another ember within 15 seconds after (because you have rapid incinerates/conflags coming and a high crit immolate, thus you'll skip the third ember and not proc again until your fourth) you may consider using up an ember on Chaos Bolt now (wasting 2-3 seconds) and then spam your incinerates to hopefully proc your 4p on the third (now second) ember.

I try to cast a Chaos Bolt with the 4p proc if I have another Int/Dark Soul proc up (which you'll be using the embers for anyway), otherwise I Conflag (fishing for 2p procs for Immolate/Incinerate), reapply Immolate if it isn't empowered and in the refresh range, and spam Incinerate if nothing else. Basically your normal rotation in most circumstances will get you most of the benefit.

Yea same rotation and priorities. I was simply asking for those periods when you get no procs would it be worth it to push the emberbits a bit further to get the proc. 3.9 sounds good. Immo could push you over mid cast with no bits lost. As I said, its just a thought. :)

On a side-note: I'm really freaking loving destro right now, especially since we don't have to keep RoF rolling on single target, anymore.

Glad to hear it.  Remember to drop Rain of Fire while moving (if not using KJC) as it's DPET is better than Fel Flame.  Also, Rain of Fire is a DPS gain when under Bloodlust or Tempus Repit.  It's also an absolute must when it hits 2 or more targets.  Don't bury the hatchet just yet...you just don't need to weave it as much.

Sure, that was to be assumed, but you are correct.  Not many raid bosses need to be moved (if they can be moved at all) in this tier.

so... about the pet, is it still using felhunter ?? cause i see people prefer using imp (maybe cos of the glyph)

Glyph it's irrelevant dps-wise, imp is energy capped.

Ppl are using Imp - or Shivarra - because many fights need target swap fastly and Observer it's pretty much stupid in that kind of situation

I use Imp over the others for its utility. Free heal, Flee to caster to group with heals (good for Soul Link mitigation), and a dispell (AoE if using Fel Imp)

For Malkorok go Imp: Free heal to help with shield.

Observer on fights where interrupts are needed (Hellscream).

Was going to test out the Shivarra tonight in a raid setting. Looked promising when it dealt nearly as much as Fel Imp in a 5 minute dummy-test with only a CoE (1/3 her damage was melee). I did my normal rotation (less some raid buffs) for trinket procs, etc rather than let them pound on the dummy sandbox style.

Edited by Rakupenda

Pet DPS is irrelevant and not significantly different enough to say 'this pet is best.'  Pick the pet that gives you the best utility.  This includes, sometimes, sacrificing it.

so.. for fight like malkorok... felhunter is the best ?

Yes if u have all the buffs - Sunder amor included - and if u don't need anything in Imp's utility.

Hi,

I see where you say Purified Bindings is great. I only have the LFR version and put it with normal KTT reg and simmed my lock. I next tried Woosh and reg KTT and simmed again and her damage went way up. Why is her damage going up so much with KTT and Woosh? Shouldn't it be better with the Purified bindings and KTT even if the Purified is lfr version?

I am not sure which two trinkets to use. I removed reg Breath of Hydra. I'm 552 ilvl and my lock is Decayn.

the amplification from PBI works based on a PERCENTAGE. other trinkets like wush work based on a flat value.

for simplicity's sake, let's say you have 100 mastery. you have a crappy LFR PBI that gives 6% bonus, so that's 106 mastery. you have a different trinket that gives a flat 7 mastery bonus, so that would give you 107 mastery. obviously you want to use that second trinket instead.

now let's say you get some more gear and you have 140 mastery. your PBI puts you at 148.4 mastery, while the other trinket puts you at 147. you are now high enough ilvl that PBI is better.

but let's go back to your 100 mastery ilvl. your LFR PBI gives you 6%, but the heroic warforged gives 8% (these are not the actual values). your HWF PBI puts you at 108 mastery and the other trinket puts you at 107 mastery. even at this low ilvl, the uber version of PBI is better.

the best part of PBI is that once it becomes better than other trinkets, it just keeps getting better and better because it scales with your other gear

tl;dr do the math and always check if PBI is actually better than your other trinkets. obviously you should use wush in your case.

Edited by mediocregatsby