FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

5.4 Destruction Tips and Quirks

Generally by sacrificing 3 charges of Backdraft to fit in the 2nd.  I sacrifice 3 charges for CB's pretty liberally when I've got a lot of procs going.

hey

doing quite the same, however, speaking of openers and procs, do you guys have issues sometimes as destro having "shit" procs in the beginning of the fight without doing any trash whatsoever etc ? KTT does his job and proc like the rest of the shit also but the damn bindings ... meh

o/

Bindings is just the most awkward little bitch. Sometimes I think it's anti-social and is afraid to appear when other procs are about. "Is the coast clear? Hi mate! Oh no, where are your embers? :("

Edited by Oldtrout
  • Like 1

I know both my trinket are still LFR, we just did 13 bosses in 2 nights, and back to garrosh and no trinket drops or from rolls either. I find my KTT to proc but PBI just will not proc for anything, seems to only proc when I don't have other things lined up, like it proc after I used DS and everything, and don't have another DSI to use on it. I wish it would proc with KTT so I get max damage from my CB.

I dare to say that, outside of getting 2 CBs in the first 10 seconds, you should really try to avoid using backdraft on CB. Things like Annihilate and Desecrate, if you're handling correctly, should not cause you to have to race against the clock to get your CB off. You work out the timing on when to do it. In the case of Desecrated Weapon (at least in the first two phases), you can be using your Circle and Gate to quickly be out of the way the moment he targets someone with it. This means no worrying about "crap I need the time to move out". For Annihilate, you shouldn't be casting CB so late into it that you will possibly have to move if he targets you. Wait until he's targeted somewhere that isn't you and that's when you start your CB, not when he's just finished the ability.

Even when you have procs, you don't generally need to rip a CB immediately and give up backdraft. If you happen to have three embers with three stacks and are quick enough to catch the immediate start of your 10-second KTT proc, that's one thing. Most of the time, you're going to have two embers ready when a proc happens. Finish using Backdraft on Incinerate first.

As Zagam confirmed (with some assistance from Locky and myself), using Backdraft is a good way to cause yourself to clip the GoSac DoT on your CB. Now, granted, we're talking about losing maybe 500k in the course of a 80mil damage fight. But, that's still half a CB in lost damage from doing it too much. Using Backdraft for Incin also helps keep your mana steady and a quick rate of ember generation. Having to hard cast Incinerate because you used your stacks on CB makes your next CB take longer to get to. Rare circumstances and opener excluded, just don't use Backdraft on Chaos Bolt.

hey

doing quite the same, however, speaking of openers and procs, do you guys have issues sometimes as destro having "shit" procs in the beginning of the fight without doing any trash whatsoever etc ? KTT does his job and proc like the rest of the shit also but the damn bindings ... meh

o/

Yeah, PBI can be a bastard.  There isn't a whole lot you can do about the opener, but after that I save my Dark Soul for when PBI decides to proc.

As Zagam confirmed (with some assistance from Locky and myself), using Backdraft is a good way to cause yourself to clip the GoSac DoT on your CB.

Let's not forget Soulzar who brought it to everyone's attention to begin with.  :D

Let's not forget Soulzar who brought it to everyone's attention to begin with.  biggrin.png

Touche. I forgot who it was that had brought it up :'( TOO MANY NAMES TO KEEP UP WITH I CAN ONLY HANDLE IT WHEN I HAVE EXPANDED MIND PROC

I dare to say that, outside of getting 2 CBs in the first 10 seconds, you should really try to avoid using backdraft on CB. Things like Annihilate and Desecrate, if you're handling correctly, should not cause you to have to race against the clock to get your CB off. You work out the timing on when to do it. In the case of Desecrated Weapon (at least in the first two phases), you can be using your Circle and Gate to quickly be out of the way the moment he targets someone with it. This means no worrying about "crap I need the time to move out". For Annihilate, you shouldn't be casting CB so late into it that you will possibly have to move if he targets you. Wait until he's targeted somewhere that isn't you and that's when you start your CB, not when he's just finished the ability.

For annihilates I totally agree with you, but for the other stuff it's a matter of tactic. During p1 I'm almost constantly on the move going for the engineer and in p2 I'm moving out so we can place the desecrates where we want them. And after that we all stack in melee for both mind controls and whirlwinds. I might get a few uses out of circle, should actually do that next time, it's a good idea. Gateway would cause more harm with people accidentally ending up where they're not supposed to be so it's not really viable imo.

I should mind when i cast chaos bolt, because its rarely my highest damage resource. So Weakauras looks like the right thing. I'm gonna use  Lockybalboa's weakauras string. Altough i still have a question, how do you know if a proc is big enough to cast a chaos bolt? 

My armory; http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/magtheridon/Deamux/advanced

Your only big proc is PBI, so you'll just want to dump all your embers when it procs, and you'll usually have DS up at that time too. For the rest of the time you'll want to be casting once at 3.5 embers, unless it's a fight like Nazgrim where there are times you'll get bonus damage.

And on multi-target fights you should be using havoc + CB on cooldown, regardless of procs (though you can delay havoc a bit if you know for certain that you're about to get PBI or DS up), unless you're intending to havoc + shadowburn.

I don't think lightweave / jade spirit are really significant enough for you to worry about getting your chaos bolts in.

Edited by Oldtrout

In general to know if a proc is big enough is a matter of getting a feel for how many embers you create. Then start ticking off your procs starting from the biggest one and how many embers you can use during one. If you create enough embers not to be able to use them during trinket procs and ds, start thinking of smaller ones (4set/cloak/weapon).

For PBI you want to have as many embers as possible since the proc is long enough that you can almost always use them all. Especially since it lines up with ds so nicely. Since you don't have anything else, I'd actually check the smaller procs also if I were you, especially when you are at 3+ embers. It's marginal, but it still helps.

Your only big proc is PBI, so you'll just want to dump all your embers when it procs, and you'll usually have DS up at that time too. For the rest of the time you'll want to be casting once at 3.5 embers, unless it's a fight like Nazgrim where there are times you'll get bonus damage.

And on multi-target fights you should be using havoc + CB on cooldown, regardless of procs (though you can delay havoc a bit if you know for certain that you're about to get PBI or DS up), unless you're intending to havoc + shadowburn.

I don't think lightweave / jade spirit are really significant enough for you to worry about getting your chaos bolts in.

In general to know if a proc is big enough is a matter of getting a feel for how many embers you create. Then start ticking off your procs starting from the biggest one and how many embers you can use during one. If you create enough embers not to be able to use them during trinket procs and ds, start thinking of smaller ones (4set/cloak/weapon).

For PBI you want to have as many embers as possible since the proc is long enough that you can almost always use them all. Especially since it lines up with ds so nicely. Since you don't have anything else, I'd actually check the smaller procs also if I were you, especially when you are at 3+ embers. It's marginal, but it still helps.

Thank you both!

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/vfzxyu6fpb4lta0b/sum/damageDone/?s=233&e=679

So robbed!  sad.png   5% boss health I believe from fitting in with the Asians.

Me:  Don't you worry 'bout those Reflections little darlin'.

Raid:  *swoon*

True story!

Grats, although this makes me sad, since I am struggling trying to figure out how to get my dps up on this fight in particular.

Post up some logs and I can work through them.  Though I must admit that I do throw down quite a bit when the Reflections spawn.  It inflates my numbers a bit, but in 25 man I don't overkill them much when Havoc'ing off them to the boss.  Our tanks also got much better at grouping them up efficiently (DK AoE grip helps as well), so I'm able to do quite a bit of AoE damage sooner.

Well, there are a couple of things that I have done, and it's improving.  I know I need to improve:

1) Immolate uptime

2) Havoc.  I should have done that more, although I am giving up on trying to havoc / shadowburn the Currupted Fragments/Manifestations.  Our warriors burn them so flippin fast once in the 20% execute phase, it's too late to get in a shodownburn, so think I will use a havoc/chaos bolt on them from the start.

3) I seem to loose dps uptime when trying to get to a rift to eat it (Use burning rush) and wondering if there is a better way to approach those.

The one thing I am wondering about logs, is, how to tell how effectively havoc is being used.  Am I actually getting the hits in on those, or am I missing?

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-z2l3kz172q0v0vqb/details/89/?s=9291&e=9759

Edited by Zilthy

Well, apparently my Havoc usage was pretty weak that attempt, but here is something you can use to check:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/vfzxyu6fpb4lta0b/details/22/?s=233&e=679

Click your name for the fight and go to the "Buffs Cast" tab.  Click the "#" to the right of Havoc.  That will populate the duration/time you had the buff up, and also when you were using them.  The brighter green area, *I believe*, is where they're actually used.  So you'll noticed that it's lighter at the start of the duration when I pop all 3 charges off.  At some times you can see the DPS rise, but others it isn't as noticeable (probably due to no crits).

You can also use the "#" with multiple effects simultaneously.  So you could get Expanded Mind up there and see if it's lining up with your Havoc usage, which could explain spikes in damage.  There are lots of cool uses for that feature within WoL.  smile.png

Unfortunately I can't help you with Execute sniping Warriors, haha.  Latency?  Generally though, SB is pretty damn good at sniping.

For sure.  Zagam showed that to me.  I've been using it quite a bit to help explain inconsistencies.  I like to use it to make sure I'm lining up my buffs whenever possible (PBI/DS) and seeing if my DPS is actually rising.  If it isn't during that time I can usually conclude that I wasn't pooling Embers properly.

I actually just had a thought on fights where Havoc isn't really necessary.  If you get all your procs up and have Embers pooled you can cast Havoc as a WoL indicator to show that, yes, at that exact time I was firing off back to back Chaos Bolts.  If you failed to pool Embers (which you shouldn't, but it happens) you can pass on using Havoc to help you know how often you need to stop being dumb.

• Like 1

ALL HAIL THE #, the single greatest unknown tool in World of Logs

EDIT: Fuck, this was my 3334th post.  I missed the 3333th one...

Unfortunately I can't help you with Execute sniping Warriors, haha.  Latency?  Generally though, SB is pretty damn good at sniping.

At least I suffer from UI taking pretty long to realise the mob is <20% and letting me use SB. And with 2 warriors + at worst us 4 locks, any time lost before using SB means that the mob is long gone before UI agrees that the mob is in SB range. I think a couple weeks of farm and I'll try to talk with our warriors + other locks to leave adds alone so each week one of us can get nice numbers :P

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/vfzxyu6fpb4lta0b/sum/damageDone/?s=233&e=679

So robbed!  sad.png   5% boss health I believe from fitting in with the Asians.

Me:  Don't you worry 'bout those Reflections little darlin'.

Raid:  *swoon*

True story!

i'd call that padding 0.1!

ALL HAIL THE #, the single greatest unknown tool in World of Logs

EDIT: Fuck, this was my 3334th post.  I missed the 3333th one...

You should make a WoL guide!

Edited by Khaos